went a local show sunday. there were many saiga 12's for sale. ALL of them were overpriced. average list was $900. most were converted at $1000-1250. the unconverted ones ranged from $ 800-950. every vendor cited "they are not importing anymore". i called bs on each one. vendors looked at me like i had 9 eyes.

I would most likely cut them a break, lots of the gun show guys around here are "old school". They are not "internet/info" guys. They are lagging in the up-to-date info department. Sometimes it can work to your advantage though.

• Like 2

went a local show sunday. there were many saiga 12's for sale. ALL of them were overpriced. average list was $900. most were converted at $1000-1250. the unconverted ones ranged from $ 800-950. every vendor cited "they are not importing anymore". i called bs on each one. vendors looked at me like i had 9 eyes.

Not bad prices... Compared to the show I was at last weekend. Same for NIB unconverted. But the real jewel was an unrestored S-12 with a strange block on the back to mount a pistol grip, ace folding stock and mechanism on the back of that, SGM Tri rail, some kind of muzzle brake, bipod, vertical forend grip, and... A wraithmaker! Lol!

Price: $1550!!!

Same story... "you can't get these anymore"

I just shook my head and walked away. Rifles were around $450.

I would most likely cut them a break, lots of the gun show guys around here are "old school". They are not "internet/info" guys. They are lagging in the up-to-date info department. Sometimes it can work to your advantage though.

The internet has been around for quite a while now... being old school isn't an excuse for plain ignorance, IMO. A lot of regular dealers are like that around here. I was in a gun store several months back when an older gentleman walked in asking about getting some .32 short ammo for a revolver he just found. The store owner said "I don't carry it... no one does anymore. I can't even order any myself!" After their conversation concluded I told the gentleman to just look online, and through him the names of a couple of websites.

• Like 3

There is a very low profit margin on firearms unless you mark them up like these douches do.... Then you can make 100% profit if you find someone stupid enough to buy it.

Smart dealers charge around 10-15% over their cost and make up for slimmer margins by quantity. Shit like hearing protection, cases and soft gear, targets, cleaning stuff, etc. has a much higher mark-up and makes an easy up-sell to make up the gap.

My favorite thing to see is when they want more for a used gun than the MSRP is new... somehow by them owning and beating up this weapon, it increased in value over one that is brand new in the box a few booths down.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer
  • Like 3

I was at one last Sun. cheapest stock one there was $799. There was an unconverted used one with pistol grip and flash hider for around $850 and a young guy was infatuated with it but he wouldnt walk away from seller so I could tell him what I've seen new ones for online. I did get a brand new promag 20rd drum for $80 plus $5 to get in show, not super cheap but no shipping and I got to go use it the next day.

Yeah, what buffet destroyer said. It's even bad on the internet. I hang out some on thehighroad.org (some, their holier than thou is hard to take for too long) and the for sale ads for a pistol with 1000-1500 rounds downrange always ask more than gunbroker has them for new.

i have a bone stock norinco hunter,. milled and a really great shooter. first table a the show, vendor had one priced at 950. i almost passed out. either way over priced or i was sitting on a valuable rifle. not 10 minutes later another one at 500. the price difference didnt shock me as much as seeing 2 of these in the same place.

The smaller the market, the easier it is for the vendor to charge what they want. In the Houston area it's not uncommon to have 2-3 gun shows a month. You see the same dealers at most all the shows and quickly learn which ones to avoid, and which ones that offer the best deals. Some of the dealers will match (or come close) to internet deals.

Edited by Jetmech

The smaller the market, the easier it is for the vendor to charge what they want. In the Houston area it's not uncommon to have 2-3 gun shows a month. You see the same dealers at most all the shows and quickly learn which ones to avoid, and which ones that offer the best deals. Some of the dealers will match (or come close) to internet deals.

Yeah, I don't need local dealers to match internet deals, but unless they're within 15% or so it gets really hard to make that choice to support local business. ;)

Every once in a while I still drag my butt to a gun show, but it’s just not the same anymore. Too few private sellers with some good deals on some good old guns and the “show” part of it is totally gone. You use to get to see some neat old stuff like some museum quality Kentucky rifles, some cool old knives, and long forgotten pistols now its just rows of 1911s, S&W, AKs, and ARs stuff that's not at any kind of bargin price.

In Cinci, Dayton and Colombus, the S12s are running just over internet price, $650-$750.

I like just going to look for ammo and odd stuff before I order it off the net. Occasionally find some good deals but mostly its the same ol.....

Every once in a while I still drag my butt to a gun show, but it’s just not the same anymore. Too few private sellers with some good deals on some good old guns and the “show” part of it is totally gone. You use to get to see some neat old stuff like some museum quality Kentucky rifles, some cool old knives, and long forgotten pistols now its just rows of 1911s, S&W, AKs, and ARs stuff that's not at any kind of bargin price.

If you know who hosts the show in this area, you'll understand why all of the prices are inflated. You know of that certain shop in Crestview?

ETA: That's the shows here, Pensacola, and Panama City. Same guy owns shops in each.

Edited by MT Predator

Internet is the best bet providing you have a dealer that will accept and transfer for you. I have a local guy who started doing it just accepting and making transfers, then consigning firearms for others as well. Now he sells new stuff too. Transfer is still $20 through him.

Gun shows are a joke I've got one dealer who is great in Gainesville ga. It's a great Georgiagunstore. And he doesn't haggle it's weird to see people look stupid when they say watch-ya take out the door and he says what's on the tag. One pawn shop in habersham county ga has a new stock s-12 for just 950.

this is my take on it. gun shows are exist to rip off the goobs in the audience. so, i take em with a grain of salt. that being said, i go for the camaraderie. i have a great time bs ing with folks. that being said, i still find good prices on stuff, it just takes awhile. i just dont understand why everyone insists on ripping each other off....

that being said, i am heading to the big tulsa arms show this weekend, allegedly the biggest show in the country, talk aboot load blowing!!!

http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/frames.html

If you know who hosts the show in this area, you'll understand why all of the prices are inflated. You know of that certain shop in Crestview?

ETA: That's the shows here, Pensacola, and Panama City. Same guy owns shops in each.

Yeah I know but Js setting up a big long bunch of tables in the middle didn’t take all the private owners tables out you use to see with a used Marlin 22, Mossberg 500, or a Ruger pistol. What happened to all these guys? Maybe the price of a table jumped too high or the internet sites are getting all those guns.

Out of sheer curiosity, anyone here ever try the tactical beef jerky they sell at those shows?

Not after I came to believe it was the hot dogs left over from the concession stand.

Edited by 20-Mags

Guns show vendors are the new "old" car salesmen.

Couldn't find a single deal with any shows in Tampa area...they wouldn't even match the price on an online listing. Anyone got any low transfer fee~$20< dealers around our area by any chance?

Sorry can't help you there. Only place I've done any FFL transfers is Shooting Sports on Dale Mabry - $45 (ouch!)

Out of sheer curiosity, anyone here ever try the tactical beef jerky they sell at those shows?

Not after I came to believe it was the hot dogs left over from the concession stand.

That's what I figured. I'm a sucker for gimmicky foods (canned beef jerky), but was able to resist.