So my son's 13th birthday is coming up and after discussing what/where he wants to have the party he tells me he wants to try airsoft. I say cool as we've done the lasers and paintball and both are fun so we head out to give it a try so he can decide if he wants to have his party there. We get to the place and he's having fun. All of a sudden the "regulars" are going crazy because some "studs" are there from another airsoft place. I could not believe my eyes: the guys are dressed all in Army digital and one of them looks like he stepped off the boat from the middleast. They've got rifle sized hard cases with at least 5 guns apiece. Ok so , they are into having fun I think. After playing some more rounds, my son and I are in the lounge area taking a breather and I can't believe some of the smack these guys are talking and acting like they are GI Joe and all badass covert Special Operatives. I have been snickering at the comments on the forum for people such as this and may have actually seen my first mall ninja types. I was there to have fun with my son, but kept shaking my head for the rest of the time we were there.

Thanx for the post! Sometimes it just never fails that you always have people like that! I usually call thos guys there one up on you type people, you have a story or an adventure to tell. But they always have one better to tell or a better adventure! They could just be felons and cant have the real thing. But thats just my opion. Again thanx for the post!

i had a similar experience when i was out paintballing. dude shows up in all woodland digital with a tactical vest on talkeing all kinds of crap, i was in the army this and that, walking around with his chest out. I cant stand people like this so a friend and i decided to single him out every game i would meet him head on in the field and trade shots back and forth and my buddy would flank him. by the end of the day the guy was pouting like a little girl haha thats the only way to deal with the paintball/airsoft commandos beat them at their own game.

• Like 1

I believe the proper term is "Mil-Sim"rolleyes.gif

Some guys take that stuff VERY seriously!! Funny you should bring this up I was cruisin youtube yesterday and found this video, It cracked me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf81_nAXCgQ&feature=related

That guys got alot of $ tied up in his "loadout" LOL

I seen some vid's of the guys talking about plate carriers and making DUMMY PLATES. Why the hell would you want dummy plates? Just to make you uncomfortable??tongue.png

Im sure airsoft might be fun but some people take it a little to serious!

Edited by big-J

I haven't done a whole lot with airsoft, but I used to play paintball before it got so focused on the arena/speed ball stuff. Having had a little exposure to some actual Operators while in the servive (and even having played paintball with a couple), my experience is that they're often NOT a loud mouth, trash talking bunch. To the contrary, they let their actions and results do the talking.

Edited by Corbin
  • Like 1

I used to play and host a lot of paintball. I tended to find that airsoft attracted sadists who were more interested in hurting other people with tuned up guns than using good tactics. Both can be fun and both attract jerks. It's all in who you play with.

I found that on the whole military guys as a group were good sports but easy to beat until they got rid of their preconceptions and adjusted their tactics to the practicalities of their surroundings and equipment.

There are good ones too though, and that gives me an excuse to tell a story:

One of my favorite days of play was out in a place in the woods where my friend's pb store would host events. I would get payed to play and ref. Anyway this particular day, we were running a birthday party game for about 40 12 year olds. It so happened that a dozen or so Marines were there. They had just come back from active fighting and decided to buy paintball stuff and were camping on the site and playing all weekend. Anyway, teaching tactics to a couple of the quicker 12 year olds and regularly whipping the military was a blast. Their ego's took a hit, but these guys were smart enough to swallow their pride and adapt. By the end of the day they were holding their own too.

However, the part that sticks in my memory the most was when i knew I had 2 of them pinned behind an upright mattress leaned against a tree. some random kid and I had got them psyched out and were moving up on them from the flanks leapfrog style. I was about out of air so I decided to move up and bunker them with my last few shots. My partner kid kept them down with intermittent fire while I ran up to their cover. I took my chance and pivoted around thier cover to shoot and there were Three not two. so I shot them in the butt rather than say "surrender". I was surprised. I wish you could have seen it though I am pretty small and these were big guys. They cowered and you could see sheer panic under thier masks. I wish I could convey the image. fun times.

Lets be honest... The firearms community has it's share of "Studs, idiots & gear whores", too... No matter if you throw lead, paint, or pellet... you can take something away that will make YOU a better shooter..

I haven't done a whole lot with airsoft, but I used to play paintball before it got so focused on the arena/speed ball stuff. Having had a little exposure to some actual Operators while in the servive (and even having played paintball with a couple), my experience is that they're often NOT a loud mouth, trash talking bunch. To the contrary, they let their actions and results do the talking.

Yep, that's where the term "Silent Professionals" comes from.

I dunno, a lot of those guys use 450FPS as a base line on their AEG builds. (nominally what is required to shoot through both sides of a pop can) getting shot at close range with a bunch of that will hurt people. If you get shot close range with that, it is likely to leave good welts and often puncture skin.

I used to take odd jobs fixing AEGs from time to time, and people always asked for 1) make my gun shoot harder so it hurts those $%^&ers! and 2) increase my rate of fire.

It seems like kids running around have fun, and are fun to play with, but there are a bunch of 30somethings who just want an excuse to make someone else suffer.

Some guys take that stuff VERY seriously!! Funny you should bring this up I was cruisin youtube yesterday and found this video, It cracked me up.

I seen some vid's of the guys talking about plate carriers and making DUMMY PLATES. Why the hell would you want dummy plates? Just to make you uncomfortable??tongue.png

Thank you for posting my video. Subscribe if you like my loadout.:)
  • Like 2

Thank you for posting my video. Subscribe if you like my loadout.smile.png

YOU gotta be SHITTIN ME?!?!?!? :rolleyes:

I dont think we can subscribe to the wannabe channel... sorry. At least you have your electrical tape, though... Handy stuff! :up:

:smoke:

For a while there I made armored red dots and armored flashlights for airsoft. Mostly used perforated sheet metal. I have a few designs for mines and game play devices but the Chinese steal designs to much.

I've done a ton of airsoft upgrades mostly my own stuff. I prefer mosfets and upgrades to around 385fps with a 10.8 volt battery, mosfet gives a much better trigger response. Something really sick is a full silent upgrade, takes a lot of time but its VERY useful in night games.

I've always played it as a game, mostly capture the flag ect. Most games we do start with 15 mins to dig in. I'm crafty so 15mins is more then enough time for the approach to my flag to be a very costly road. A game with a good group is about as fun as a day at the range with a case of free ammo. We normally go through about $10-40 in BBs in a day (10K+ rounds) for 10 guys.

If your using it as training I'd suggest Gas Blow backs and keep the range UNDER 20 yards. AEGs AEPs and springers are for playing games.

• Like 1

i had a douche last weekend insist that my AK was a submachine gun. 021.gif i laughed out loud and told him his call of duty knowledge is not welcome in my discussions. he was referring to the aks-74u. he was also a airsoft commando, bragging on how much his setup cost, i responded with why not purchase real weapons, or just enlist in the Marines? he got angry and left the bar. 000.gif

to each is own, but i wont waste money on that trash. ill buy real, working firearms instead.

• Like 1

be careful. you son may become light in the loafers.

i would suggest hunting or fishing. maybe pyrotechnics... but NEVER airsoft!

smile.png

Both of my boys airsoft for fun when they cannot be on the range with an adult with real weapons. They both have several of their own firearms each and could probably match you shot for shot. Just saying. They shoot more on a regular basis than most Active Duty Military does.

IMO, it's a great hobby for minors as they cannot legally posess firearms without supervision. When it gets to the point where the guys are the same age as me, then I say grow the fuck up. I've seen "those" guys when I drop my two off at the airsoft field.

Edited by MT Predator
  • Like 1

From a background of being heavily involved with paintball as a team sport for about 10 years when I was younger, I never could understand the G.I. Joe mentality of Airsoft. We spent the better part of the late 80's, early 90's getting folks to get rid of the camo and promote speedball/ hyperball fields as a shooting sport. It's a game, more like football with markers and I just never got pretending to be something you're not (atleast not in my age group at the time). I enjoyed playing against teams that were at my level and as a general rule we never went out as a team and played against noobs. I guess either can teach good shooting fundamentals if you work at it but I just don't get the dress up part of it. If you play against people at your level, I also never understood people complaining about being over shot-if you get bunkered, you're going to get lit up...just don't do it to kids or new players that are just out to have fun. To each his own, now I'm old and slow so I'll stick with shooting things that don't shoot back.

• Like 1

6500rpm, I asked the same question to both of my boys who did the paintball/speedball thing without the camo and all. Totally different game, they are in the field/woods with MOUT sites, not a speedball course with infllatable bunkers and barriers. I guess with airsoft, you need the gear to carry the mags which are the same in size as the real deal.