10 best cars for the end of the world

I guess most of the guys wanting huge ATV's know how to do maintenance and change out those huge tires when you break down in the middle of nowhere with no spare parts,tools or a garage in sight..I'd go for something simple and easy to fix...

flats were no problems. I carried everything I needed to change them. Mine was a very simple design, not much to go wrong and when it did most parts were common truck parts if you knew what to ask for. As far as knowing how to do maintenance, there was no piece of that truck I did not have apart while restoring it.

I wouldn't want a 6x6 as my only vehicle to drive, but the large trucks still have their place when brute force is needed.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

military 2-1/2 or 5 ton 6X6. Goes just about anywhere and can drive over or through most obstacles. Will even run under water with the snorkel attached.   Here is a 2-1/2 ton I restored a few years

Old maintained iron, easy to fix, Comfort won't be 1st priority.

Posted Images

I know a few years ago new tracks were hard to find in the US. Israel was the only country that still used them, but the US would not allow them to be imported in to the country. The few that could be found in the US were expensive and sold for around $5000 a set. This was 10 years ago and may have changed by now. The tracks are nothing more than a heavy rubber band with steel cable inside of them and have a life span of about 2000 miles.

I guess most of the guys wanting huge ATV's know how to do maintenance and change out those huge tires when you break down in the middle of nowhere with no spare parts,tools or a garage in sight..I'd go for something simple and easy to fix...

Having spent a good amount of time in a motor pool, I can tell you that HMMWV split rims are WAY harder than a 5 tons. I would take a 5 ton over a smaller vehicle in many cases. they really are that simple, you just have to work on them to realize it.

My M1009 CUCV is harder to maintain than a 5 ton. and trust me. its simple.

I'm sticking with the ZJ, Any of you ever drive mountain roads after a storm?? Between washouts, down trees and rockslides you will be forever trying to get a Deuce or a Hummer through. Abandoned and stalled cars would be even worse! Jeep parts are everywhere, and I can keep 'er running a LONG time!

Oh, and for what it's worth, the Subarus are really popular in Idaho (outside of Boise, where 90+% of the idjits are). They're usually the 'going into town' car because they get good mileage and are hard to get stuck, especially the older ones with the real 4wd instead of the Awd.

I'd love to get a deuce-and-a-half, seen some for sale in the ~$3000 range surplus. But it helps that a friend of mine is an old diesel mechanic and knows how to make 8-71s purr.

IMHO, nothing beats a good old reliable 4x4 pickup. A friend has an '07 or '08 Z71 Silverado. He says when he's drivin down the interstate, it goes into some kind of "eco mode" and he gets 20 something miles to the gallon.

You ever tried to stop one, Hammer?

Subaru is a damn tough car, that can be abused severely and still run. Needs less TLC than an aircooled VW, too.

How about a 5" protrusion (like a rock or bump) on a dirt road. Nothing wrong with it, but my first thought was that you won't likely be racing Vin Diesel and Paul Walker for pink slips if everyone is dead.

I am actually surprised there wasn't a dirtbike or option, and the Griswold's vehicle from National Lampoons Vacation movie was pretty comical. I definitely agree with the Jeeps and Toyotas.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

TEOTWAWKI plans for the '88 Comanche include a producer gas conversion. The German army and English civilians both used this in WW2. Producer gas is nothing but but smoke. Popular Mechanics once drove a pick-up truck from coast to coast on a cord of wood! The producer gas generator is nothing more than a wood burner made from a 30gal drum!

• Like 1