New ATF 4473 - Everyone must decide if they are Hispanic or not

New ATF 4473 - Why does everyone have to answer whether they are Hispanic or Latino when they complete a new 4473?

What Race would a Hispanic or Latino claim when they answer question 10b? The available options are American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, Black or African American, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, or White.

There are no instructions on the for question 10 as there was with previous 4473s.

On the previous 4473, Race/Ethnicity could be American Indian or Alaska Native, Hispanic or Latino, Asian, Black or African American, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, or White

On a further note, non-immigrant aliens don't need to show residency.

425128_10151004294361941_1375200010_n.jpg

New ATF 4473 - Why does everyone have to answer whether they are Hispanic or Latino when they complete a new 4473?

Thats like asking why do we have to fill out a 4473 in the first place? shits and giggles of course.

What Race would a Hispanic or Latino claim when they answer question 10b? The available options are American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, Black or African American, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, or White.

I would assume they wouldnt and would have answered the question in 10a.

There are no instructions on the for question 10 as there was with previous 4473s.

On the previous 4473, Race/Ethnicity could be American Indian or Alaska Native, Hispanic or Latino, Asian, Black or African American, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, or White

yep, thats stupid

"What Race would a Hispanic or Latino claim when they answer question 10b?"

It would depend on what race they are. As to why the question is asked in the first place, only the gummit knows, I assume for "demographics".

Ethnicity has to do with the origins of a common culture or heritage, in the case of Hispanic the origins go back to Spain. It does not denote race. On the form shown I would check that I am Hispanic, and then "white". There are Hispanics that have blond hair and blue eyes although dark hair and eyes is more common and many have "indian" ancestry.

As for deciding whether you are Hispanic or not, there's no decision, either you are, or you aren't. One cannot decide this any more than one can decide their race.

Edited by Squishy

hispanic or latino = descendant of hispania (mainly spain or portugal or countries that were once their colonies/territories)

race = breed. not sure why there are groups for "american indian or alaskan native" and "native hawaiian or other pacific islander" and not groups for say, "native australian" or "native caribbean islander" or "arab"

there are plenty of whites, blacks, asian and [south] american "indian" people that are also hispanic.

now, why?

why is there a separate field for hispanic/latino? .gov is keeping track of this.

why are they keeping track? i'd assume because of the large hispanic immigration.

my question is why are they keeping track at all?

I just filled out an application for an apprenticeship program and the same question is on there, seperate from the "race" section.

It reads, Ethnic group:

1. Hispanic origin

2. Not of Hispanic origin.

I found it a little odd also.

Edited by Mullet Man

There can be legitimate reasons for gathering this data. But as with any data, especially this kind, it can be used for purposes other than what was originally intended. As cause for concern goes, there are a lot of other things that would be higher on my list.

Maybe it should go like this;

post-41803-0-33776200-1341245893.jpg

• Like 6

It is all a bunch of BS. What it should ask is this on ANY form:

Color of skin

Origin of ethnicity

That is all that need be known for ID purposes. This constant labeling and micromanagment of skin color/ ethnics is part of what is wrong in this country. When a crime is committed the media is scared shitless to openly say the perp's skin color of course unless they're white. If I were a LEO looking for a suspect I think I'd want to know sex, height, weight, SKIN COLOR. Those traits are hard to manipulate but I sure as hell don't want to be looking for a white guy as opposed to a black guy with the same height, weight, sex.

Obviously this is where we get "white hispanics" like George Zimmerman.

Am I the only one that finds it highly annoying that they constantly change the forms.

Still tho the 4473 is staying at the dealer so i'm not sure what kinda purpose this could serve as far as keeping track of the number or new gun purchases by a specific race.

You do need to show residency as a non citizen. You have to bring with you at least 3 consecutive months worth of bills from one company that has your name and address on it. Mortgage, rent, credit card, utility bill. I had to do this from the late 90s to 2008. You cant imagine the headache that this is because no one will do a 90 day layaway and you dont know what youll find or buy between now and 3 months from now. Once you get to know a store they'll work with you but you have to buy guns first but you cant because they dont know you and wont do a 3 month layaway. Oh and the part of your bill that has your name and address is the part that you mail in with your payment! And you cant bring a photocopy of the bill. What i ended up doing was buying something on credit card then overpaying by a cent. This way the CC company still send you a statement that they owe you however your name and address are still in the bill. They keep sending this for about 6 months until they finally send a check for the amount.

"Hispanic" refers to persons from Spain, Portugual or Iberian nations that speak Spanish. ("Hispanola" = "Spain" in Spanish).

"Latino" refers to persons from the Caribbean (Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic), South America (Ecuador, Bolivia, Colombia, Peru, etc.) and Central America (Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica, etc.) (All Latin America) - which were colonized by Spain and hence, speak Spanish.

my figuring, very few are going to check Latino, mostly because they won't know themselves if they are or aren't. you can be sure people of Mexican decent will check that box "Hispanic", even though in reality they are Latinos.

census

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

The residency requirement is no longer required with use of the revised 4473. You can fly to the United States and buy a gun the same day if your passport or government issued ID that has your address in the United States. It is now harder for a US citizen to purchase a firearm if they change states than a non-US citizen coming to visit.

You do need to show residency as a non citizen. You have to bring with you at least 3 consecutive months worth of bills from one company that has your name and address on it. Mortgage, rent, credit card, utility bill. I had to do this from the late 90s to 2008. You cant imagine the headache that this is because no one will do a 90 day layaway and you dont know what youll find or buy between now and 3 months from now. Once you get to know a store they'll work with you but you have to buy guns first but you cant because they dont know you and wont do a 3 month layaway. Oh and the part of your bill that has your name and address is the part that you mail in with your payment! And you cant bring a photocopy of the bill. What i ended up doing was buying something on credit card then overpaying by a cent. This way the CC company still send you a statement that they owe you however your name and address are still in the bill. They keep sending this for about 6 months until they finally send a check for the amount.

• Like 1

Am I the only one that doesn't like the "______- American" titles? I can remember when a Black person was a Black person....... an Asain would usually refer to their more specific Country of Ancestry, like Japanese, Chinese, etc..... people with herritage from Mexico would be called Mexican. There was so much less PC crap going on then. And I notice the _______-American thing tends to be used more by liberal white folks than anyone else. Oh excuse me...... EUROPEAN-AMERICANS. haha.gif

So until white people are willing to be called European-Americans, I tend to reject the other "_______-American" labels out there. By the way....... if you wanna see a good old boy get madder than Rosie O'Donnel at an NRA rally, tell them that they aren't American.... they're European-American. Then RUN! LOL

• Like 1

Am I the only one that doesn't like the "______- American" titles? I can remember when a Black person was a Black person....... an Asain would usually refer to their more specific Country of Ancestry, like Japanese, Chinese, etc..... people with herritage from Mexico would be called Mexican. There was so much less PC crap going on then. And I notice the _______-American thing tends to be used more by liberal white folks than anyone else. Oh excuse me...... EUROPEAN-AMERICANS. haha.gif

So until white people are willing to be called European-Americans, I tend to reject the other "_______-American" labels out there. By the way....... if you wanna see a good old boy get madder than Rosie O'Donnel at an NRA rally, tell them that they aren't American.... they're European-American. Then RUN! LOL

No you are not the only one!! I will not under ANY circumstance use hyphenated american anything and as far as I am concerned it only separates and futher divides the races in this country and until people stop using this title the racism will continue. You are also so, so correct about who uses this PC bullsh*t! I am second gen. Irish/Italian. In other words my grandparents came thru Ellis island but I am AMERICAN, plain and simple. Lastly, concerning african-american, I have as much in common as so called african americans with Africa as they do as it has been many, many, many generations since they had ANY relations with Africa and black americans do not give a rats-ass about Africa or their people. There are REAL African-Americans at my church that have emigrated from here from the violence in their Muslim controlled countries and let me tell you they only care to be called Americans and are nothing like black americans.

Edited by U.S Praetorian
  • Like 1

"Hispanic" refers to persons from Spain, Portugual or Iberian nations that speak Spanish. ("Hispanola" = "Spain" in Spanish).

"Latino" refers to persons from the Caribbean (Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic), South America (Ecuador, Bolivia, Colombia, Peru, etc.) and Central America (Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica, etc.) (All Latin America) - which were colonized by Spain and hence, speak Spanish.

census

Portugal does not speak Spanish language... even though they both derived from Latin they branched off at West Iberian- subgroup of the language long ago. They are very much different at this point.

Wierd questisons for sure... Census is what census for not gun forms filling its spot. IMO

Edited by HappYBallZ

^ Beat me to it... Much of South America does not speak Spanish, they speak Portugese. ;)

Point taken, though... I have to wonder if this is somehow related to the blown "Fast n' Furious" instigation that the DOJ was doing?

It still amazes and infuriates me that the Gov't of Mexico (including their new Prez) is still trying to blame America for all the full-auto assault weapons, rocket launchers and grenades that are flooding their country illegally. WE DON'T SELL THAT STUFF IN OUR GUN STORES YOU MORONS!!

The real questions are how many tax-payer dollars were spent making these changes and how much crime will be solved by changing it?

Answers: A lot of tax-payer dollars and zero crimes solved.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

I truly despise this crap. My birth certificate says only "white". I was "white" until I was about 12. Then one day, some ass clown says I have to say I'm "chicano" because some dumb ass politician says my last name makes me that. Then a year later, I'm suddenly a "Mexican-American" even though my family has been in Texas since the 1700's, petitioned the US to fight Mexico for the rights of Texas, and fought along the US in the US/Mexican War because the Mexicans tried erasing the Spanish land grants that resulted in my ancestors locating here from Spain. Then a few years later, suddenly I'm "Hispanic" and then a few more "Latino". This is all political bull crap and I've had enough of it. As a decedent of original "Tejanos", who's father, grandfathers, great grandfathers, and great, great, great grandfathers all have fought for this country, I only want to be recognized as one thing: a United States Citizen.

• Like 1

I had a friend in law school get rejected for a pretty significant African-American scholarship because he was not black. My friend was born and raised in Africa, but because he was not black, he was not eligible for the scholarship. The committee that awards the scholarship funds give all African-American scholarships, except for ones that aren't black. In order to receive funds, you don't have to prove that your family actually came from Africa, only that you are black. I guarantee my friend was the only true African-American who applied for the scholarship.

I see the need for putting color on the application to prevent false negatives for people with common names as criminals, but why not stick to Red, White, Black , Yellow, and brown?

I had a friend in law school get rejected for a pretty significant African-American scholarship because he was not black. My friend was born and raised in Africa, but because he was not black, he was not eligible for the scholarship. The committee that awards the scholarship funds give all African-American scholarships, except for ones that aren't black. In order to receive funds, you don't have to prove that your family actually came from Africa, only that you are black. I guarantee my friend was the only true African-American who applied for the scholarship.

I see the need for putting color on the application to prevent false negatives for people with common names as criminals, but why not stick to Red, White, Black , Yellow, and brown?

What about this guy? Discrimination!!!!!!greedy.gif20080219_106_350x263.jpg

http://www.oprah.com...o-Turned-Blue_1

Edited by HappYBallZ