Ok, as many of you know, I live in a very rural city in deep South Texas. My house sits in neighborhood that ends at the Rio Grande River. As a result, I've got smugglers galore daily cruising my street just looking for a chance to do their thing. I've also got illegals running through my yard and all kinds of other problems all related to my location. But now I've got another big problem, and I need some assistance. The other night, my poor five month old lab was going bezerk barking up a storm in my front porch. I get up, look out the window, and there's a freaking javelina about three feet in front of him looking like it was about to charge him. I turned on the lights, opened the front door and yelled at the javelina to see if I could frighten it away. The damn thing stopped its forward advance and slowly turned and walked away. At that point, I walked to another window and counted 13 more of them in my front yard.

The next day the wife and I spoke with the local chief of police and asked him what we could do if this happens again and they attack the dog. He advised that we shoot them and said PD would be okay with me defending my yard and dog. The only problem is what kind of ammo would be safe to use within a neighborhood that won't over penetrate and ricochet into a neighbors house or car? We discussed using birdshot, but right away we both agreed that a wounded javelina is much more dangerous and aggressive, and that the pack would probably come to their defense. I can't use my 7.62x39 which I know will drop them dead, again because of the safety of the neighbors. So I'm considering using buck or #2 waterfowl steel shot. What do you guys recommend for such critters? These things are not small. I'd guess over 100 pounds and about as large as a large breed dog, but certainly much tougher.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great Idea Arik!!! Lets all bring our guns over to DLT's place. I'm sure the resulting presence will also cause the smugglers to find another place to cross at.. So lets just go ahead and assume it's

I'd go with what you know and are comfortable with.   A decent 7.62x39 Hollow Point, e.g. Cor-Bon Hunter 108gr JHP, and/or Soft Point, e.g. Cor-Bon Hunter 124gr JSP or Federal Fusion 123gr SP, shou

Have you considered a bow?

Posted Images

Couple ideas.

1. You stand taller than a pig, so any overpenetration would shoot the ground, no big deal.

2. Shoot the pig head on, or butt on, if you can. 7.62x39 will not have the power to go lengthwise through a pig,

especially the javelinas.

3. Magnum pistol rounds are great for this sort of thing, .357 or .44 is great.

4. You shoot one, he is going to RUN, and so is the pack.

5. Shoot it in the guts so it runs away and dies elsewhere.

I've shot a lot of pigs, with a lot of guns.

• Like 1

Yeah, my buddy and I are contemplating going down a bit south of us and going after some for the hell of it, he's talking about taking his bolt action deer rifle, I said "F" that, I'm taking my Saiga and 30 round mags and practicing double taps!

try out some wax slugs. Ive been wanting to see some actual carnage from them. I think they would be perfect for this situation. masive dammage and no overpenitrating recochey also take some pics.

Edited by deadeye
  • Like 1

I'd go with what you know and are comfortable with.

A decent 7.62x39 Hollow Point, e.g. Cor-Bon Hunter 108gr JHP, and/or Soft Point, e.g. Cor-Bon Hunter 124gr JSP or Federal Fusion 123gr SP, should do very well stopping Senor Javelina.

They should have very little over penetration, those pigs are very dense with muscle/bone just about every where but the guts.

You want that pig down, not running wounded through the neighborhood, someone could get in his path, and that could get ugly.

That kind of ugly leads to civil suits.

They'll do very well on Senor Bandito too. anger.gif

• Like 4

Roof, 22LR, head shot!

Roof, "00", "aim" for the head.

What he said. I have done this many times in my neighborhood. I also live in Texas close to the boarder. Get on the roof, or hang out the second story window. I use a 223 with Hornady Tap ballistic tips. I put a well placed shot right behind the ear, and it lights out piggy every time. The bullet always frags and never leaves the pigs skull. Even if it did, it would only hit the ground. This particular bullet is designed for this type of application. Super easy. Just give the neighbors a heads up that they may hear some shots.

After pigs are down clean em' and cook 'em up!

P.S. The eye balls always pop out of the pigs head. My kids think its funny but others might be shaken up a bit.

Edited by redfish28

Okay... I just thought of the perfect solution...

Over the course of 2 or 3 days, set out a bucket of food for them to enjoy, as far back on the property away from everyone else...

On the 4th day, set a 5 lb. jar of Tannerite under the food bowl... I think you know the rest. ;)

Oh- you might want to give the neighbors a little advanced warning on that one, including the invite to the pig roast the next day. :)

• Like 2

Funny, but you got me thinking. Trapping them would be another option. You should be able to pick up a pig trap at your local hardware store. A bit expensive though. You could also build you own trap. Once trapped, 22mag behind the ear. Lights out!

After pigs are down clean em' and cook 'em up!

P.S. The eye balls always pop out of the pigs head. My kids think its funny but others might be shaken up a bit.

Pig roasts are always fun social events. You're right on the eyeballs.... seems like it's the wives and girl friends that get freaked out by that, the kids always laugh. We've usually got a few guys at our pig roasts that are only too happy to eat the eyeballs when they pop for extra fun.

Seems to me that slugs or 00 buck would be fine for the pig hunt.

Agree with the thought to stay away from 7.62 with close neighbors.

Okay... I just thought of the perfect solution...

Over the course of 2 or 3 days, set out a bucket of food for them to enjoy, as far back on the property away from everyone else...

On the 4th day, set a 5 lb. jar of Tannerite under the food bowl... I think you know the rest. wink.png

Oh- you might want to give the neighbors a little advanced warning on that one, including the invite to the pig roast the next day. smile.png

...and the resulting blast and debris will take the windows out of that side of the house. Real bright.

How about this. Do you have a spare bedroom? I can swing by with my guns & ammo & beer and shoot your pigs. All i ask is to keep the meat and a place to sleep smile.png

Great Idea Arik!!! Lets all bring our guns over to DLT's place. I'm sure the resulting presence will also cause the smugglers to find another place to cross at.. So lets just go ahead and assume it's offcial'

PARTY AT DLT'S HOUSE, BRING BEER, GUNS, AMMO!

Thanks for the Invite DLT! (seriously... who wouldn't want us all there..i'm certain he was planing on inviting us already)

• Like 5

I wonder how many here have ever actually shot wild game, let alone a pig.

The comment I made earlier about the magnum pistol round was for overpenetration,

of course rifle rounds will do better. Even the non-hunter / military enthusiast's dandy, the .223,

would do, at least a little, better.

If you do shoot through the pig, you'll hit the dirt. These things are 1 foot off the ground, your gun is 5.

Especially if it's 20 feet away or closer. Shoot it in the head, it will NOT charge you, because it will be too

busy dying.

Don't do rock salt, bows, wax slugs, .22s or w/e. Intermediate rifle cartridge or magnum pistol cartridge or better,

shoot it in the head or the chest, it will die, fast.

• Like 1

They make frangible rifle ammuntion in 7.62x39 and 5.56 it's lead free low recohete specificly designed for urban enviroments. I've never tried it but if it hits anything like the frangible hand gun ammo, it should make some nasty wounds at 2300fps.

+1 to the frangibles if you have close neighbors.

Edited by MT Predator

I wonder how many here have ever actually shot wild game, let alone a pig.

The comment I made earlier about the magnum pistol round was for overpenetration,

of course rifle rounds will do better. Even the non-hunter / military enthusiast's dandy, the .223,

would do, at least a little, better.

If you do shoot through the pig, you'll hit the dirt. These things are 1 foot off the ground, your gun is 5.

Especially if it's 20 feet away or closer. Shoot it in the head, it will NOT charge you, because it will be too

busy dying.

Don't do rock salt, bows, wax slugs, .22s or w/e. Intermediate rifle cartridge or magnum pistol cartridge or better,

shoot it in the head or the chest, it will die, fast.

Um.. i've shot pigs, and dogs. Plenty of both.. and at those angles, if the round goes throug it hits dirt and will offten ricochet. especially if it's on concrete, or hard pact dirt. Yea it loose alot of velocity and sometimes fragments (talkin hollow points here, or soft points) but alot of times they ricohett. And the farther they have to go before stoping after the richote the higher they're flying. Just something to keep in mind. You want to be certain that your bullet doesn't over penetrate, or if you miss and hit the ground whats left of it isn't bouncing through a neighbors house. Subsonic ricochets will pentrate drywall, plywood and many other commonly used building materials.

Edited by poolingmyignorance