So out with my friends last night and we started talking about SHTF, which I was pleasantly surprised about because every other time I've brought it up the conversation went somewhere else pretty fast. But this time we spent 2 hours or so talking about it.

And we of course started talking guns. I'm the only one of the 6 of us who has any. Sounds like they may be open to the idea of getting some (worst case scenerio they don't and I still have enough guns and bullets for everyone, but I'm not letting that out just yet) so I was thinking what a good gateway gun would be for a first time shooter. Top of my list is a Ruger 10/22. Customizable, inexpensive to buy and shoot. Any other suggestions? What gun got you hooked?

• Like 1

I think a 30/30 would do pretty good. Its not that bad with recoil but gives the shooter the power feeling that many seem to need. 10/22 is good to for the fun aspect. Then theres always an AK. It always puts a smile on a shooters face doing mag dumps.

But the gun that got me hooked was side by side Remington 12ga many years ago. It knocked me on my ass, but the destructive power it unleashed on the broken stereo was second to none. lol.

• Like 2

My first gun was a Ruger 10/22 got when I was 13 years old and still have it, though it is 39 years old now. It now has a fluted bull barrel, I refinished the stock glass bedded it and added a scope. I think the 10/22 is a good choice for a first gun, then let them shoot your 12 GA as a teaser.

• Like 1

I think the 10/22 is a good choice. A new shooter needs lots and lots of practice. Can't beat a .22 for cheap, yet very effective ammo, and great accuracy. Pair that with no recoil and lots of accessories... = WIN.

My first real gun, I still have today... an old Sears Ted Williams .22, brought me years / decades of fun and is still a gun I can confidently hand over to even the least experienced shooter and watch them easily hit whatever they get in the cross hairs.

Of course though, comes as no real surprise... but the very first rifle that really lit a fire inside me and got my attention was an old Poly Tech AK-47. It was a Viet Nam "bring-back" gun with almost white wooden furniture, bleached out by the hot sun and waters of Southeast Asia. Just a simple utilitarian badass of a weapon. A thing of beauty, yet an awesome fire breathing beast. :)

• Like 2

Its a bit counter intuitive, but what has opened up some of my friends to guns and shooting is my old Mosin Nagant. Cheap gun, cheap ammo, idiot proof operation, and easy cleaning. With a cheap slip-on limbsaver the recoil is dulled enough not to scare them away. Its comfortably unbreakable, simple to understand, and has that addicting power appeal.

10/22 is good. One of my first guns though...well first two guns. was a makarov and an SKS. I think the SKS really was the most fun. A little spotting scope and bipod and that thing is a heck of a plinker.

I think anything small is a great first gun. Nothing that they will say...ouch that thing really kicks. Something in 9mm or 30 caliber.

Good job getting others interested btw.

Lever action .357

They can shoot 38spl and 357mag, AND share ammo with future handguns they may own.

My first choice would have been 10/22 but so many other already mentioned it. Another good choice would be an SKS...still cheap enough to buy and shoot.

• Like 2

Pretty much any of the above. 22.lrs, 12ga pump, AKs/SKSs, lever/bolt actions. What's their "side" interest. Any wannabe Cowboy shooters? Lever action/Coach guns then. Military enthusiast? AKs. Etc, etc. Find a way to combine interest and it'll be an even easier sell.

As for wives and AKs, tell them it's an improved 30-30 with the similar ballistics/power/etc. Can you hunt with it in your state? Another plus.

Get the girls out with .22s and the guys with 12ga., for a good family survival start up. The rest will come on their own.

• Like 1

The first gun I was given on my 8th birthday was a Stevens 12 double barrel. Which I still have. My dad is a big hunter and still is, so I grew up going hunting & being around guns at the age of 3

The first gun I bought was a Glock, then a AR, AK, shotguns and on and on.

But I agree with the Ruger for a first time shooter and then progress from there.

Edited by MfWiC

Whichever gets him most excited to actually shoot. Spend a day at the range with your toys, teach the fundamentals. Then go to the store with him and have him hold stuff. Choose models that point naturally for him without making a bunch of adjusting motions to bring the sights in line. Also pay attention to whether they can easily reach and manipulate the controls without shifting grip.

10/22 or henry golden boy

9mm mid size pistol of decent brand

.357 with real sights and at least a 4" barrel. (not a snubby)- you want something that you can learn the fundamentals of aiming on. avoid the belly guns.

a good quality reliable .22 pistol. Ruger MK II or MK III, Browning's neat little woods/ target pistol....

How about the SKS? Go old school, it is semi auto, accurate, and 7.62x39.......

and they have the old school Chinese ones that just became available.

ETA - and the next logical step from the SKS is the AK, and then from there the next step is a Saiga 12!ph34r.png

Edited by HOG76
  • Like 2

How about the SKS? Go old school, it is semi auto, accurate, and 7.62x39.......

and they have the old school Chinese ones that just became available.

ETA - and the next logical step from the SKS is the AK, and then from there the next step is a Saiga 12!ph34r.png

+1

The SKS was my first rifle and it ignited a fire that would burn out of control. Within a couple of years, I had many Norinco and Polytech AKS.... and no SKSs.

I just sold 2- 10/22s, so I could get my wife a M&P15-22 because I think the S&W M&P15-22 is a better choice for a training rifle. Nearly anyone who has a little trigger time on a M&P15-22 can operate an AR due to the familiarity of the controls. The 10/22 controls are awkward to me and I have been shooting them since the '90s.

Until (or rather if) the Marlin Lever guns get straightened out avoid them new at all costs.

Remington raped that company badly and the lever guns are all but dead. Go old or go Henry.

First rifle is always a no brainer... 22LR. Would say get a Marlin 60 but see above so the 10/22 is fine just clean the crap out of the barrel before shooting the first time.

It's the second rifle that needs some thought. SKS, AK or FAL whatever.

Funny thing is the 22LR is still my favorite round to punch holes in paper.