Poor, Poor fella, too late to the dance!

An old work friend..(actually my old plant mgr.) contacted me tonight asking me if I knew where he could get an AR15 and a couple more firearms, preferably ones that "wouldn't be on the books because of confiscation" and that he would pay a good price for them.

I had to break the cold hard truth to him after doing some snooping around! Why do people think that just because you have had a few guns, have built a few, that you have them sitting around just waiting on "friends that have waited way too late to get into the game"?

I told him I would keep my ears open, but couldn't promise anything.....JEESH!!!

• Like 4

Usually I'm the one who's a dollar short and a day late. But this time I'm very glad I did everything I did in the last 10 months or so. If I'd have waited til 11/7/2012 or later my money wouldn't have gone nearly as far.

I had a coworker hitting me up for AR mags.

He really tried to pry it out of me when I told him I dont own an ARs.

Im not sure if I really fried his brain or not yet. I told him I was more into the machine gun ak47 rifles and I had a bunch of baby killer assault clips if he needed any of those. He kind of fake laughed and then asked if I was serious.

lmao

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 5

The gun industry as a whole needs to be pouring bags of money into seeing to it nothing happens to speak of because if nothing does, the industry will be off the chain for a good long while. All those who got scared into thinking they may never get certain things will make damn sure they get them if they have the chance.

• Like 1

Went to the local gun show Saturday. It was the first time I had to wait in a line outside in order to get in. The news was there and it was elbow to elbow with people. Prices were up about 30-50% on many magazines and some calibers of ammo. I surprised the wife by not buying any of either, which is usually what happens. Instead, I sold a carbine and bought a scope. LOL

Saw a few people walking around trying to sell what appeared to be illegal guns (Draco pistols with vertical grips, ARs with barrels too short, etc). From what I saw, almost nobody wanted to talk with them, except security, I heard (didn't see though). I don't know if the sellers were ignorant of the law, thought it "wasn't a big deal" or were maybe undercover trying to bust some shmuck that would buy them.

I did fall a bit short in this panic-mode buying, but that was only because I decided to expand my current firearms to include a home defense 12 gauge and I had absolutely NO ammo for it since I didn't own one. Finding the shotgun itself wasn't easy, a quick visit to the local guys turned up nothing at all on hand and Davidson's OUT of anything under a 28" barrel it seemed and I didn't relish taking a hacksaw to a new one. Finally caught Bud's right after they got a shipment of the Interstate Arms 18" pumps in and snagged one, hopefully it'll be here end of next week or first of the week after. Hunting across the internet, located a sale on Fiocchi low-recoil 00buck, $50 for 80 rounds in a Plano ammo box so snagged two of those and the local sporting goods store here has BBB on sale for $100 shipped for a case. And stopped in a farm and home store here locally that actually still has 9mm stocked so picked up more of that as well. Just need to stop shooting it up for a bit, looks like...

An old work friend..(actually my old plant mgr.) contacted me tonight asking me if I knew where he could get an AR15 and a couple more firearms, preferably ones that "wouldn't be on the books because of confiscation" and that he would pay a good price for them.

if it was me, I would have offered to sell one of my ARs, to him for $2,000.

• Like 2

I'm being hit up for stuff daily at work. "Where can I get a AR? Where can I get a AK? Where can I get mags and ammo? I know you reload, do you have anything for sale?" It does get old, especially when they look at you like you're a bastard for not wanting to part with any of your stuff or ammo. Usually when they get a bit peeved I ask them, "Have you ever heard of a man named Aesop and if his the story about the grasshopper and the ant?"......That's right Mr. Grasshopper, it's winter and you didn't store any food.......

• Like 4

I helped everyone I know who was interested in 2008 to get what they wanted. This time only one fellow was out in the cold and he got a nice AR for $1,700 and (4) Pmags for $25 each. What ripped him was basically $800 for 800 rds of ammo. He got in but it just wasn't cheap. Sad thing is for the previous 4 months I had been steeering him to good deals but he kept putting it off. He finally decided it was too expensive to put it off anymore I guess. Good guy, just used poor judgement.

• Like 1

Well, he told me that price wasn't a problem as long as he could get one that "The Govt. couldn't confiscate" I told him that until he found it, he might want to join the NRA to have a fighting chance and contact our representatives!

I helped everyone I know who was interested in 2008 to get what they wanted. This time only one fellow was out in the cold and he got a nice AR for $1,700 and (4) Pmags for $25 each. What ripped him was basically $800 for 800 rds of ammo. He got in but it just wasn't cheap. Sad thing is for the previous 4 months I had been steeering him to good deals but he kept putting it off. He finally decided it was too expensive to put it off anymore I guess. Good guy, just used poor judgement.

Same situation here, he said he had been meaning to contact me for months since he doesn't know that much about firearms, but didn't want to get caught with his pants down..just what happened! I know he is a busy man,, but then, so am I. Priorities, I guess

is 5.56 really a buck a round now? haven't looked. That's insane! :)

I wonder how the reloading supplies are going.

Sorry that your buddy was a day late and a dollar short. Maybe if he gets lucky, he can find one at a gun show or in the papers. He won't find a good deal but he can get a private sale weapon.

The FFL I use is a friend and over the past couple years has often borrowed my weapons to try them out. Invariably he likes them and acquires one for his own collection. He is quite a bit better off than I am financially (wise man, good solid businessman. He only does the FFL thing as a hobby of sorts) So needless to say we use all the same calibers. And of course when he sees a deal on ammo he orders twice what he wants and offers me the extra at what he paid.

I was beginning to get a little irked because I knew he ordered it for me specifically and I felt obligated to take it. I appreciated the thought and gesture, but my budget was getting pretty severely strained and I was going to ask him to hold off on the ammo for a while until I got my finances shored back up some. Never did get around to saying anything to him, kinda uncomfortable to do.

God strike me dumb and blind for a while if I ever have a thought like that again. Thanks to him I have ammo I wouldn't have bought at prices we may not see anytime soon. Yeah, money is really tight now, but I can recover from it. And the ammo locker is well stocked for the duration of this "crisis".

Lots of the folks I know are constantly hitting me up for ammo and "spare guns" I must have. It's like "spare money". I do not believe such a thing exists. Best I can do is refer them to the local gun trader sites.

I had to break the cold hard truth to him after doing some snooping around! Why do people think that just because you have had a few guns, have built a few, that you have them sitting around just waiting on "friends that have waited way too late to get into the game"?

I told him I would keep my ears open, but couldn't promise anything.....JEESH!!!

I found ot earlier today that one of the shops in town here has "a warehouse full" of AR's and the like. Not sure what that really translates to, but supposidly the owner saw this coming 2 years ago and started stockpiling them. One of the service tech's that works on our equipment went there on Friday and picked up a new AR, said there were 20 people in line waiting for them to open. He also said the owner told him he still has plenty of the for sale, lowest end starting price $1,100.00.

• Like 1

On my last job one of the other Dept. managers had a FFL and did transfers and sold guns as a side job. I bought all my current long arms except one through him. Hell he brought them to work and I would take delivery in the parking lot at City Hall, so no extra side trips to do pick ups for me. I remember him asking me after I got my last AK from him, "do you actually shoot the stuff you are buying or do you just collect rifles"?

LOL....I shoot them AND collect them. He's one of the ones who should have picked up a rifle or two when he had the chance and the price was reasonable....

is 5.56 really a buck a round now? haven't looked. That's insane! smile.png

And this makes me smile with glee every time I shoot my 5.45x39 AK74! laugh.png Can still get a 1000 rounds for $175 or less....

• Like 1

Well, I saw the tickets and missed the whole dance entirely. No money for toys other than feeding what I got.

A smart friend bought 4 ARs a few months back and will sell two of them, and already has offers which should about cover his investment for all 4.

My overall thoughts are that you are doing business as a matter of honor. raise prices to match market, but don't insist on a price that will make an enemy for you when markets stabilize.

I want people who are ignorant looking for a first gun to have a good first experience. The more responsible people own firearms, the more everyone understands what responsible ownership looks like. That guy in the OP could get his gun and grow up over the next couple of years and learn some sensible attitudes. Five years from now he will be rolling his eyes at another schmo like himself...

I have had 3 friends contact me in the last twodays to advise them on firearms purchases. I consider this to be an honor and am pretty serious about getting them onto a good start and steering them away from pitfalls. One of them was the most stereotypical pacifist libs you could imagine 3 years ago and now is getting his first pistol. I asked him his intended use... Consistent CPL as much as possible. Having a guy who is as gentle sensible and honest as him packing on a daily basis will do more to influence the frightened ladies of both sexes than all the facebook arguments in the world.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 2

That might actually be too good of a deal... I emailed a guy about a 308 Saiga on armslist just to see what he wanted out of it. It was converted with a few goodies on it.... $2500!!!

Uhhh... NO

• Like 1
And this makes me smile with glee every time I shoot my 5.45x39 AK74! laugh.png Can still get a 1000 rounds for $175 or less....

That makes me wish I had bought a 5.45 a while back instead of getting the Mosin and AK mags at the time. Yeah the mags may work out for me, but if I could have got the 5.45 (at the time was $329 OTD) and been set with a surplus ammo purchase anger.gif

That might actually be too good of a deal... I emailed a guy about a 308 Saiga on armslist just to see what he wanted out of it. It was converted with a few goodies on it.... $2500!!!

Uhhh... NO

I was thinking the same thing... 2K is maybe a bit low all things considered.

I'm reading reports of people standing in line for hours just to get in gunshows. I am seriously thinking of toting something evil and black to the crossroads show this saturday and see how much money I'm offered without even going in.

yup... one friend, one co-worker and my brother all have gotten in touch with me in the last week about getting AR's. Luckily a couple of shops here will NOT price gouge, and when they opened I called and sure enough one had a Rock River AR. Zipped over with my Bro and he bought it. We stopped by the other store on the way home and he had a couple as well. So today, a co-worked had some questions and I told him about the store that 2 on Friday. He called, and they were still available! No price hike, decent brand (one was a Colt 6920) so he called another co-worked from another shift to cover him for an hour and he just got back after picking up the Colt.

They are out there, and thankfully not all are jacked up in price. It pays to know the shops, and the owners/workers there. But... not a round of .223 to be found anywhere. Lots of 7.62x39 at the bulk ammo store tho. Not the best stuff, but quite a few cases of it.

Hell, even got my brother-in-law to look into a couple of the S12's for sale here in the sale area as he cannot find any in his local area.

Edited by SwissyJim
is 5.56 really a buck a round now? haven't looked. That's insane! smile.png

I wonder how the reloading supplies are going.

Sorry that your buddy was a day late and a dollar short. Maybe if he gets lucky, he can find one at a gun show or in the papers. He won't find a good deal but he can get a private sale weapon.

The one site i order bulk ammo from that has great prices just put on their site that because of the Components used in the manufacture of the rounds being in short supply they will not be taking anymore orders at this time. And i have a friend that just got a reloader for christmas saying he can't find any 223 reloading supplies anywhere. hell he is having trouble finding powder

Uhhh... NO

I was thinking the same thing... 2K is maybe a bit low all things considered.

well I did post that price yesterday, today is a day later so the price would have gone up. wait until the 21 or 22 Jan, when Dianna goes on the senate floor to introduce her bill, then you'll see even crazier prices and even more crazier and desperate people paying that price.

I might go straight to hell for this but- I might even put my HESSE lower, that's been sitting in my safe for a decade and a half, up for sale at a obscene amount, and it might sell for that!

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1
well I did post that price yesterday, today is a day later so the price would have gone up. wait until the 21 or 22 Jan, when Dianna goes on the senate floor to introduce her bill, then you'll see even crazier prices and crazier people paying that price.

I might go straight to hell for this but- I might even put my HESSE lower up for sale at a obscene amount, and it might sell for that!

I emailed that dude last week... ;)

F'n $2500 for a $900 (MAYBE!) gun... I should have stocked up. All the stuff I have I bought to keep. :(

Anyone wanna pay $65k or so for my Yugo underfolder? I could due without a mortgage payment...

define "overstocked?"

Well, I suppose the definition could vary, depending on the seller's particular situation. For example, I would consider myself overstocked if I couldn't open any closet or cupboard door in the house without fear of an avalanche. Overstocked could also be an excess of lead in the air because of millions of rounds in a confined space. Finally, I would definitely consider myself overstocked if the house began to sink on the side my storage room was on. Especially if the house was sitting on bedrock. Other than that, I'm prolly a little short on ammo.

• Like 3