"SHTF" = WTF

The key is to be debt free. Or have a house paid for. If it gets bad you at least have a home.

Stock up on food and vites for a year and get a water filtration set up. 20 5 gallon buckets

of beans and rice will give you your complete protien. Add a little Tonys and

a pile of toilet paper and some Boudreauxs Butt Paste and you will be fine.

My ROTH and SEP IRA is doing just fine. I have 15 % in gold

I purchased my gold in 05 for 400.00 an oz and have been buying on the dips.

It is now 740.00.

I purchased it just to cover my debt if the market failed.

now you just have to worry about property taxes.

This is the insurance I have for my wife and 2 boys.

On a final note the tax assesor has been re assesing our taxes . As soon as our

property value jumped 30% they got on it. It has been 14 years since our last assesment.

I bet after the property value droppes they will wait another 10 years to get after it again.

The Three Bs

Beans Bullets and Band Aides

Edited by nib
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

heck, I saw the Mythbusters load up with straight vegetable oil and it worked great on an unmodified deisel

and what is all the talk about zombies anyway? the new Resident Evil movie aint even out yet hehe

Edited by dayan inikhaton
If we all became Mad Max, we'll be bartering.

Hey, I'm the only one around here who can claim that!

As far as the market as a whole, all of my clients are doing great with traditional stocks and bonds. Studies have proven that over the long-term, very few investment managers can beat the returns afforded by the major indices.

Lots of good value in this info here.

A buddy of mine has been an international stock trader for years and just got tapped to set up the trading desk overseas for a well known bank at their operation there.

He tells me he puts most of his money into index funds.

Even though knows the markets as well as anybody you can find and he spends every day - all day - with his head in the most up to date news on the markets he doesn't have the time to work his own investments while holding down a job.

• 1 year later...
Is it in....snicker..."dollars"? :rolleyes:

You don't really know much about investing, do you "SOPMOD"?

In retrospect my gold and guns are turning out to be a pretty solid investment while my buddies who didn't cash out their retirement and follow suit are seriously hurting.

I'll make my next prediction since I'm in the amateur clairvoyant game these days.

1.Large corporate farms are about to raise prices to the moon to compensate for their losses in the biofuels market due to crashing fuel prices.

Buy your rice,beans,flour,sugar,veg oil,salt in massive quantities RIGHT NOW and offset what will assuredly be a 10x increase in prices once our currency finally tanks and goes "Peso".

2.Buy cheap fuel while the speculators are are stymied and can't buy up future production.Between our currency nosediving,radical taxomatic liberals in power and OPEC wanting to reduce production and wait for prices to go back up the current glut of cheap oil will be short lived and a dozen 50 gallon drums of $1.69 per gallon gasoline with some PRI in it could be a real life saver by this time next year.

3.Buy reloading equipment,powder,bullets and primers NOW,availability and cost will be affected and a round of loaded ammunition could be well over $2.00ea in a year and the ability to produce ammo from spent brass could be a serious bartering chip if things degrade to mad max levels.

4.Do you have stuff that runs without gasoline or electricity?An expert was on CNN the other day saying that if a nationwide effort at unifying and improving electricity delivery infrastructure was not undertaken in the next 3 years that frequent and prolonged power outages and brownouts would become common place for much of the USA.I have the following manually powered items:Treadle Sewing Machine,Manual Drill Press,hand cranked bench grinder,hand cranked flour mill,washtub,board and wringer,rendering pot,wood cooking stove,wood heating stove,10 gallon still,solar evacuated tube hot water heater,mountain bikes,500 gallons of kerosene and 11 lanterns,hand saws,hand drills,manual well pump,solar battery chargers,nimh batteries

5.Is your house paid for or at least mortgaged in a fixed rate loan you could afford if you had to take a 75% reduction in pay tomorrow?If you can manage to stay empoyed and making money as US companies drop like flies and office,retail and manufacturing facilities become vacant you might be able to pay off your house in 1/4 to 1/10 the time if you have the right kind of loan with a bank that can remain solvent.A friend of mine was worried that he owed $100K on his house and I asked him "would you still want to live there if you had to haul in water and grow vegetable and raise chicken in your yard?" he said yes so I said if you can hold on long enough our currency could dive enough to make that $100K about 3 months wages.Look at Mexico a comic book costs 35,000 pesos when 10 Pesos used to be the value of a horse or a rifle but you gotta have a plan for staying out of foreclosure if your company goes tits up tomorrow(like a year's worth of mortgage payments held in reserve) but there is alight at the end of the tunnel if you prepare NOW.

I hate to say it but since all of this stuff started happening I have been really thriving financially and expect to do so even if money ceases to have any value I will be gardening,reloading,soap making,chicken and guinea raising my way to some semblance of prosperity and stability because I am not indentured to a system that was built on the foolish idle speculation of men who make nothing and merely rearrange the wealth and productivity of others for their sustenance.

I'm waiting for the house next door to get out of foreclosure so I can buy it for almost 1/4 of it's 2005 value and rent it to a like minded individual who would be happy to live there rent free in exchange for helping me with my preps,gardening and greenhouse construction as the United Corporations of American slides into the abyss.

This nation ran fine without a stock market or corporate America when it was founded and it can again even if we have to play Little House on the Prairie meets Mad Max for a few years while we kick our addiction to consumerism and easy living but it can be done and preparing for that is probably the most sound investment any of us could ever make.

What does SHTF mean to me? Lots of things, but generally anything that involves a "Get the heck out of here NOW!" situation. It means grab the guns and whatever other supplies I can and get the hell out. It also means a situation that would seriously curtail my freedom to buy additional ammunition and guns. I consider Obama's win a potential SHTF situation of the latter sort.

I am a Christian. I believe there will be an Antichrist, and a 7-year tribulation that will result in some of the worst conditions on earth. I do not claim to know who it is, or when it will occur, but I know it will occur at some point in the future, whether in my lifetime or not. But when I see a mass deception like the one Barrack Obama has managed to pull off to get elected, someone who, against all logic and all odds managed to deceive the people gain power, that raises red flags. So, too, do the words of praise from our enemies and other world leaders who say things like, "He should rule the world." If nothing else, it is an example of how a deceiver can easily come to power. I do not accuse him of being anything, and indeed I do not believe he is, but instead I cautiously watch and make prudent preparations necessary to support myself should any of several possible scenarios play out.

It's really quite simple. We all start shooting each other !!! You wouldn't shoot an unarmed person...would you?!?!?!?! Of course not !!!! You'd only shoot armed people.....like all of the ones here. Other's will shoot you to get your goods and guns (remeber the scene from "War of the Worlds?). They are a liability and make you a target. Nobody is going after the guy who has nothing. In order for "the meek shall inherit the earth", the bold and forceful must kill each other off first. The key word is inherit, which means someone has to die first. That will be the "unmeek". So the best thing is to have nothing, .......... or at least appear that way ;)

I've said it before, the lucky ones go first.

"15 million home repossessions?

Credit industry on it's knees?

Food and fuel doubling in price for 80 million people who already were barely making it?"

Seems awfully prescient.

I am young (especially compared to some of the ancients on this site) but I am already invested pretty heavily in the market. I have moved many of my assets into government bonds in the last year, but still believe in the fundamental viability of the market. Also, notice that while the credit crunch effected America first (unless you count the Japanese troubles ten years ago), it is setting in with far greater impact in other countries. When people feel like speculating, the Euro soars. When they want reliability, they turn to the US dollae. Rule by committee is rarely effective, and the EU model is far form optimal, especially with the social overhead these countries have taken on.

I will continue make both financial and real estate investments, but I will be hedging them with tangible (and enjoyable) investments as well.

Wow, what a thread.

I live about 90 miles NW of DC. I figure DC will be hit sooner rather then later. Then all 92% plus of the people that voted for Obama there will be heading this way. So the plan is to head even further NW to my oldest daughter's and her husband's farm. OR stay in place and protect what we have. Including supplies for a month for the 2 of us.

Weather is also a concern. A tornado hit within a mile 4 years ago.

JWarren, thanks for the write up a year ago.

"15 million home repossessions?

Credit industry on it's knees?

Food and fuel doubling in price for 80 million people who already were barely making it?"

Seems awfully prescient.

Boy did he call it or what?

I've worked for the Feds for 33 years. My main retirement is the old civil service fixed retirement plan. But I have been contributing to the federal 401k for many years as a supplement. It has taken a huge hit.

So, 10 rounds of .22lr for a pound of deer meat?