MikeD's Saiga-12 20rd Drum Magazine, information thread

Well, one thought for a name that might offer some protection from the Democrats would be the ....wait for it...."The Kotex Dispenser".

I would love to see the news report on the first legislation to ban their sale or possession. The name wouldn't stop me from buying one and it sure would be a heck of an inside joke. Though you might have to change the spelling on Kotex to avoid copyright issues.

All joking aside great work, I applaud your commitment and dedication.

I think I've decided not to give the drum a fancy name. I think I'll just call it what it is. I thought on it long and hard and tried to come up with something and I know that the average market place likes catchy names. But I think what it is is catchy enough and just want to keep it simple.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick idea, as an alternate to a clear cover (which I personally would get because they look awesome), couldn't you also just drill a hole into a black drum at each place where a round would be located, and label them 1-20? That way just by looking you could see the brass through the holes and know that you had that many rounds left.

Obviously it wouldn't be hard to do this on one's own, but I hesitate to think of how you would run a drum like this and NOT know how many were left. It almost needs a way to tell what's left in it, just from the huge amount of ammo it takes.

Quick idea, as an alternate to a clear cover (which I personally would get because they look awesome), couldn't you also just drill a hole into a black drum at each place where a round would be located, and label them 1-20? That way just by looking you could see the brass through the holes and know that you had that many rounds left.

Obviously it wouldn't be hard to do this on one's own, but I hesitate to think of how you would run a drum like this and NOT know how many were left. It almost needs a way to tell what's left in it, just from the huge amount of ammo it takes.

Someone could do that. I don't like the idea of it having openings though. The holes probably wouldn't cause a problem though. After using both clear and black covers, I can say that I like the looks of them both, but anytime I had the black cover on I really missed not being able to see the rounds inside.

It'll always be an MD20 to me, Mike. :smoke:

I do like that name. One of the things of a name though is putting it on the mag. I truly hate having the web address on the drum. I think it would look better without the text on it. If I put MD-20 on it it would be even more blotted up. I felt I needed to put the web address on it and that if I put a product name on it too that it would start looking like a billboard. It is something that would be easily added and wouldn't cause a delay in production. I am still torn over it. Maybe something like this though.

post-2662-1184141040_thumb.jpg

Mike your website is not there anymore?

http://www.mdarms.com/

Not uncommon while they are in the process of building it. You'd think the programmer would at least put up a "Soon to be Open" message. Wouldn't worry though.

It's there. In fact my web guy just sent me a preview link of it earlier this evening. He sent it for me to preview. I need to call him tomorrow and talk to him about it and modifiy some things. It is almost there. Hopefully it doesn't take long for the credit card processing company to get me set up. I might open the site before hand even if it isn't ready to take orders. I will definately give an advanced notice before opening it to taking orders.

Mike your website is not there anymore?

http://www.mdarms.com/

Not uncommon while they are in the process of building it. You'd think the programmer would at least put up a "Soon to be Open" message. Wouldn't worry though.

It's there. In fact my web guy just sent me a preview link of it earlier this evening. He sent it for me to preview. I need to call him tomorrow and talk to him about it and modifiy some things. It is almost there. Hopefully it doesn't take long for the credit card processing company to get me set up. I might open the site before hand even if it isn't ready to take orders. I will definately give an advanced notice before opening it to taking orders.

You are not authorized to view this page

You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the www.mdarms.com home page.

You can click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden

Internet Explorer

That error is totally normal for building a page. The guy making it probably bamfed the placeholder page and only has a couple IP addresses that are actually allowed to view the site while it's still in construction. It's actually quite common to do, and this way nobody stumbles over it beforehand and gets a look at information that wasn't supposed to get out yet. Yes, you COULD set up something to route every IP address except for three to a comingsoon.html, but it's really a lot of work when a grand total of maybe 50 people actually know about the site, and know it's under construction anyway.

What you really want to worry about are time out errors trying to contact mdarms.com. If it can't resolve, or it does resolve, and there's not even a 404 response, that means the webserver probably bit it and the site is actually down.

That error is totally normal for building a page. The guy making it probably bamfed the placeholder page and only has a couple IP addresses that are actually allowed to view the site while it's still in construction. It's actually quite common to do, and this way nobody stumbles over it beforehand and gets a look at information that wasn't supposed to get out yet. Yes, you COULD set up something to route every IP address except for three to a comingsoon.html, but it's really a lot of work when a grand total of maybe 50 people actually know about the site, and know it's under construction anyway.

What you really want to worry about are time out errors trying to contact mdarms.com. If it can't resolve, or it does resolve, and there's not even a 404 response, that means the webserver probably bit it and the site is actually down.

Thank you much for the info.

First, let me say this, I am a new nember, but have been checking in on this thread and the forum in general for a while, just decided to make it official.

I was able to pick up a saigi 12 off a buddy that didn't use it, it just sat in his safe, so I made him offers on it until he gave in :dollar:

Mike I think the pics above look great, I don't think the markings are to much at all. I look forward to getting one for my saigi, I am getting ready to form 1 SBS it soon, then when tromix starts taking orders again, perhaps I can send it to him to pretty up a bit!!

I see you are in Dayton, I live a couple of hours away in southeast ohio, but frequent the goodman show over at the hara arena, any chance we'll see you set up there selling in the future? The drum looks great, I wish you much success, John

I like the MD-20 on the drum, please include it. Have you considered using windows or a window ring instead of just all clear or all black on the back plate? It would seem the clear would get scratched pretty easy and look horrible fairly quickly if exposed to air and sunlight. You could also do what Magpul has doen with their PMags (solid clear body) and have a solid smoke colored transparent back plate so it is both blackish and you can see the ammo at the same time. Should have less of a problem with looking yellow and hazy over time due to UV exposure if it is smoked clear and scratches would be a little less noticable than straight clear. Just some thoughts.

pmag1.jpg

Solid

pmag2.jpg

Windowed

IMG_0536.jpg

Smoke

Edited by DevL
First, let me say this, I am a new nember, but have been checking in on this thread and the forum in general for a while, just decided to make it official.

I was able to pick up a saigi 12 off a buddy that didn't use it, it just sat in his safe, so I made him offers on it until he gave in :dollar:

Mike I think the pics above look great, I don't think the markings are to much at all. I look forward to getting one for my saigi, I am getting ready to form 1 SBS it soon, then when tromix starts taking orders again, perhaps I can send it to him to pretty up a bit!!

I see you are in Dayton, I live a couple of hours away in southeast ohio, but frequent the goodman show over at the hara arena, any chance we'll see you set up there selling in the future? The drum looks great, I wish you much success, John

I have considered setting up at the Goodman show. I haven't desided yet though. I would want to get my ffl before hand and a stock of saiga-12's first though. Thanks for the complements and I know you'll love your new saiga-12. :super:

I like the MD-20 on the drum, please include it. Have you considered using windows or a window ring instead of just all clear or all black on the back plate? It would seem the clear would get scratched pretty easy and look horrible fairly quickly if exposed to air and sunlight. You could also do what Magpul has doen with their PMags (solid clear body) and have a solid smoke colored transparent back plate so it is both blackish and you can see the ammo at the same time. Should have less of a problem with looking yellow and hazy over time due to UV exposure if it is smoked clear and scratches would be a little less noticable than straight clear. Just some thoughts.

I think I will work in the MD-20. About the windows, The windows would take away from the strength of the drum. The smoke cover is an idea and I will have some of the mold testing units made smoke to check them out. After I release this design I may mess around with the window option to test it first hand.

Mike - Greetings from a fellow Dayton resident & new forum member. I just wanted to say that this is some really great work! I think the 2 3/4 is perfect and cost effective; I rarely find the need to put 3in shells through my Saiga. Glad to see you took all the needed time to work the bugs out. I like the closed sidewall design & can't wait to see these available for sale.

Hey, welcome to the forum. Where about do you kick up your dust.

Mike - Sorry I took so long to reply. Still learning how to use this website for posting replies & working on my updating profile stuff as I have time.

To answer your question ... I am over at Wright-Patt AFB & frequent the base range, Deer Creek Range, the one down by Ceaser's Creek & a buddy's corn field (in the fall / winter) up in Brookville. Maybe we can unleash some lead together sometime.

Still looking forward to the awsome drum release, and wish to pick a few up when they come out.

-Maxwell

Mike - Greetings from a fellow Dayton resident & new forum member. I just wanted to say that this is some really great work! I think the 2 3/4 is perfect and cost effective; I rarely find the need to put 3in shells through my Saiga. Glad to see you took all the needed time to work the bugs out. I like the closed sidewall design & can't wait to see these available for sale.

Hey, welcome to the forum. Where about do you kick up your dust.

Mike - Sorry I took so long to reply. Still learning how to use this website for posting replies & working on my updating profile stuff as I have time.

To answer your question ... I am over at Wright-Patt AFB & frequent the base range, Deer Creek Range, the one down by Ceaser's Creek & a buddy's corn field (in the fall / winter) up in Brookville. Maybe we can unleash some lead together sometime.

Still looking forward to the awsome drum release, and wish to pick a few up when they come out.

-Maxwell

Me and some friends are planning on going to Deer Creek next weekend. Also my girlfriend (well we don't get along to good but I still see her :angel: ) lives in Brookville. I grew up in Northridge(redneck getto).

I think I will work in the MD-20. About the windows, The windows would take away from the strength of the drum. The smoke cover is an idea and I will have some of the mold testing units made smoke to check them out. After I release this design I may mess around with the window option to test it first hand.

I really like the smoke idea. Just say when!

This is really the first time I've looked it over well......

post-2662-1183774368_thumb.jpg

It's really good lookin!

Andthis profile is gorgeous! I cant believe how close it is to the receiver distance-wise.........It really looks made to be on that bad boy. Not as an afterthought. I never thought I'd like a drum as I've hated em on my rifles. But an SBS with this?

post-2662-1182535718_thumb.jpg

Perfect. Just Perfect. Thanks Mike. Great Job!

Edited by dodgeturbointerceptor
Looks like http://www.mdarms.com/Scripts/default.asp is live, looks great. I know there had been some talk earlier on modified pricing for the first 3" run of the drum as well for those who would really like to be able to fire 3" and 2 3/4" rounds but would rather not buy two drums. Did you ever decide anything on that?

I will work out some kind of special for forum members when the 3inch is released. If orders go well for the 2 3/4 drum, I strongly think the 3 inch will only be around 3 monthes behind the 2 3/4 at the most. All depends on the sales though.

Just checked out the web site, I'm about to have a stroke, I-I-I've got to have one right now!

Looks like http://www.mdarms.com/Scripts/default.asp is live, looks great. I know there had been some talk earlier on modified pricing for the first 3" run of the drum as well for those who would really like to be able to fire 3" and 2 3/4" rounds but would rather not buy two drums. Did you ever decide anything on that?

I will work out some kind of special for forum members when the 3inch is released. If orders go well for the 2 3/4 drum, I strongly think the 3 inch will only be around 3 monthes behind the 2 3/4 at the most. All depends on the sales though.

Mike, as one of your past customers, I've really got to say that you are a great person to deal with and I look forward to aquiring one of these monsters ASAP, just say when!!! :blues:

nyclu3

Edited by nyclu3
Mike, as one of your past customers, I've really got to say that you are a great person to deal with and I look forward to aquiring one of these monsters ASAP, just say when!!! :blues:

nyclu3

I really apperciate it. :rolleyes:

There should be a $165 promotion for those who only want the 3" version.

I will work something out. I will have to wait to see what it will be though. I can't really set anything in stone right now. The 3 inch will have a couple extra component and probably more metal inserts.