Hello everybody.

I have been watching and kibitzing on this forum for a while. My interest in the Saiga-12 is competition. More specifically, multi-gun or 3-gun. The matches I shoot are under USPSA rules, which place magazine shotguns in "Open Class" and restrict magazine capacity to 10 rounds. After 2 years (mostly waiting for 10 round magazines), I am starting to win (the shotgun part of the matches anyway).

I have reported some of my adventures, but there does not seem much interest in using the Saiga for competition. (I think Tromix built one (1) "competition Tromix" shotgun, so apparently, he is seeing the same thing. Just coincidently, he sold it to a guy I sometime shoot with. I would say against, except he is a Grand Master and I am a lowly B class.)

Naturally, I am curious as to what a SBS (Short barreled Shotgun) is used for. This seems to be a popular item. Many posters seem to salivate when they write about their desire for one.

Another popular item is the "AR-15 adjustable stock". Is this for looks? Do you constantly change the length of the stock?

Then there is the "just got to have" folding stock. What use is this? If you are James Bond, you can sneak your shotgun into Goldfingers house? (Don't worry, this is a really old movie ~ 1964).

Where do you shoot your Saigas and what do you shoot at?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'll go first.

I was looking for a shotgun for SD and SHTF. After stumbling across Tony's site and seeing a vid of a Saiga 12 putting 8 shells into the air at the same time I knew this was THE combat shotgun I was looking for.

I don't hunt, and up until now, did not compete. I am primarily combat focused. The folding stock and short barrel makes for a weapon that can be used out of cars and in tight spaces.

My first 3 gun is May 4th where I hope just not to embarass myself and the S-12. I just want to improve my skills. I'll be competing at Pickaway County Sportsmens Club in Circleville, Ohio.

Edited by Paladin

well to be honest,

a friend sent me the MD ARMS website.

I couldn't believe it and ordered a drum without even thinking,.. this can't be legal,..in any state, anywhere,..

From there I learned about TROMIX and was amazed I had never even heard of Saiga before.

then I ordered a Tromix Saiga, (I am #493 currently) before he stopped taking orders.

Then I found this forum ,..where someone said "You guys aren't afraid to take a grinder or cut-off wheel and welders to your shotguns, and they are legal and they work"

or something like that, and I WAS HOOKED.

Then I figured it might be nice to have an s12 for when the drum gets here so I bought an unconverted one and,, grind,.. cut,.. spzzt spzzt, spark,.. fixed it right up.

I always wanted a 12 g for Home Defense and to skeet/target shoot with and I rarely go to a range or competition, unless me and my friends are competing. So this fills both categories! and now I need to find another s12 for my Tromix conversion.

I hope they just keep denying the Siaga! :cryss:
Edited by Gas Giant
I got my S12 because I got too lazy to keep loading shells into my 870. Now, I just have to switch mags. :blush: j/k.

Joke or not....Much truth in that statement..... in Shooting comps for reload time alone...

As you can see below. I'm actually trying to rack up as many variations before Gun laws get FFFFFFFFFFFFFUCKED Up The ASSS evenmore........... Really. Pretty soon we'll be throwing stone oncemore........You'll see. Love it, or hate it. It's reallity in the U.S. Although I love being an AMERICAN. In response & IMO. FMJ.

Edited by saiga12fan

i love them after seeing one, can,t remember but i did and loved it. (DODGE) sent sent me here and i've been hooked like a crack whore. got tony to do (2) for me,got agp clips and now wanting for the drum. SO as i am thinking about it thanks to DODGE , TONY , KEVIN(agp) and (mike(md) and everyone that makes this place a saiga home. :rolleyes:

I thought they'de kick me off the forum if I didn't prove I had one :cryss:

Actually saw them at CDNN years ago and got interested and bought one. Found the forum and the AWB expired. I build for hobby, love the smell of gun powder and mechanical stuff in general. Originally wanted to make a big ass AK, now interest has switched over to seeing how fast and accurate I can make (be with) one. Originally liked it for it's ability to blow the shit out of whatever I was shooting at, now I'd like to get involved with some type of club shoots once I find one in the area that I like and isn't a days drive, but still enjoy making big stuff into little bits with my s12. Pretty much my favorite fun to shoot gun!

Know a friend that has a Saiga 7.62x39, became interested in the saigas but not the rifles, have plenty of those already. Decided to check out a S12, never owned a semi auto shotty before and was instantly hooked.

Started out trying to not get carried away with mods, but after seeing everyone elses's shottys, I took a morgage on the kids kidneys, and am gonna make mine purdy too. Of course I am patiently waiting on MikeD too ;)

And as far as the folding stock, its kind of like why did the guy climb the mountain? Because its there!

Picked up the S410 years ago (because I really enjoy hunting with 410s), then the need for an auto 12 came to be for duck hunting. I went with the shotgun that had given me sooo much fun over the years and purchased the S12. The S12 has worked out fabulous for the heavy loads and inclimate weather involved with duck hunting so I picked up an S20 for smaller birds. Mine are all stock out of the box and will stay that way as long as I own them, though I do have an extra S12 still in box that keeps telling me to mod it, once the 20rd mag gets here we will see what happens to it.

Oh yeah and they are just so much fun to shoot.

Simple -

1. I have always wanted a mag fed shotgun.

2. A folding stock gives me more options for transport, storage & use in tight quarters.

3. I like the idea of being able to breach doors with the Shark Brake (In case Goldfinger's door is locked)

3. I have lived through BANS that required that I already own what I wanted as it became a. unavailable or b. prohibitively expensive.

4. Mainly home defense but can pack one for automobile.

5. The looks of people who see them.

6. Because my wife said I could.

7. If I didn't, I would wish that I had.

That pretty well covers it.

Simple -

1. I have always wanted a mag fed shotgun.

2. A folding stock gives me more options for transport, storage & use in tight quarters.

3. I like the idea of being able to breach doors with the Shark Brake (In case Goldfinger's door is locked)

3. I have lived through BANS that required that I already own what I wanted as it became a. unavailable or b. prohibitively expensive.

4. Mainly home defense but can pack one for automobile.

5. The looks of people who see them.

6. Because my wife said I could.

7. If I didn't, I would wish that I had.

That pretty well covers it.

All of the above reasons plus I read a copy of "The Road" by McCarthy, and got spooked into buying one! :cryss:

Saw a web page ad at TheGunSource a couple years ago to preorder the S12, and on seeing it was an AK shotgun thought 'Holy shite! 'at sounds like one pretty badass toy!' and that's what started the Saiga addiction.

the saiga is about to EXPLODE onto the scene.

Mine? I sold all my other shotguns, I have no need for them now. I kept my single shot that was my father's first gun, and kept my saiga12, with 10k+ round down it. the s12 is loaded with 3" buck. it defends my home.

Further, I was MOWING the range with it during the florida shoot.

it is not some toy. This is the gun I have chosen as my personal weapon. I will never sell it, nor will I loan it out overnight.

I suggest you look very KEENLY into competition shooting with it, if that is your "thing".

the saiga is about to EXPLODE onto the scene.

it is not some toy.

I use the term very loosely. Since the first one, I have acquired over a dozen of this manufacture, and have gained a very high respect and appreciation for the capabilities and endurance of these firearms. Most recent addition:

IMG_8818_resize.jpg

I use a 109 that has been modified. Shaving the bolt, removing the flat surfaces going into the chamber, removing the "high entry constriction", and most importantly, using Gen-2 AGP mags. My practice sessions consist of one shot, reload, aimed shot, repeat. I usually shoot two boxes. My magazines are held with the top of the magazine up, and I reload with my left hand holding the magazines near the top for better leverage. While not shown in the picture, I also added an extended magazine release that I can reach with my trigger finger without changing my grip.

3 gun ect. got a benelli with extended mag but I am tired of feedramp bites. Do you use a stock 109?

post-4457-1205752238_thumb.jpg

post-4457-1205752495_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldandslow

1.) In WWI the German soldiers were in fear of assulting the opposing trenches filled with the Americans and their deadly 12 ga. shotguns.

2.) I retain the memory of Arnold with the Street Sweeper 12 rd 12 ga..

3.) The memory of a Steet Sweeper in a southern Illinois gun shop for $2400.00 that was gone the next month when I had the money and the later ATF director's reclassification of it to a class 3 firearm.

4.) With the MD 20rd 12 ga. drum the ability to own a class I 12 ga. shotgun with a capacity of 8rds more than the Cobray street sweeper at less than half the price.

5.) The people of this country have shown with their votes in the primary that they want a change. I like McCain but he does not look like the change this majority is looking for. With that information I reluctantly think either Obama or Hillary will be president and these guns will also be class 3 weapons within the next 18 months.

GET YOUR SHOTGUN AND DRUM WHILE YOU CAN. IF YOU ARE SHORT ON FUNDS YOU CAN HAVE IT MODIFIED LATER.

I got my Saiga 12 because I took a defensive shotgun course. I've shot my share of shotguns, but a pump just wasn't fast enough. (Which translates to my times were good, but *ALL* of us got smoked by the guy w/ the Benelli.) I decided that I would upgrade to an auto if I could find a reliable one. Benelli was too expensive, I like having removeable mags, and it doesn't get more reliable than an AK. I haven't had much of a chance to shoot it, but it looks like I have the speed I wanted. I'm going to put a thousand rounds or so through this thing before I decide the S12 has replaced my FN. Speed is good as long as I haven't given up the accuracy or reliability.

IMO the priorities are

1) Reliability

2) Acceptable accuracy

3) Speed

It's no good if it doesn't run, or I can't hit my target. Once those are there more speed is always good.

I own and build many AK variants. The Saiga 12 is a natural addition. Since my wife and I already know the AK action, the Saiga 12 is a perfect addition for home defense.

I can take squirrels, deer, pretty much any game with the Saiga if needed.

I've competed locally (And WON) at the local Turkey Shoots.

And it's the coolest firearm that can discharge hundreds of projectiles in seconds without Federal Tax Stamps.