• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#61 post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic

magnificent bastard

• Banned
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

Nalioth - All Saigas might have the "case neck step/ring", but mine does not. I have five Fiocchi brass cases with no mark on the neck of any of them. The Saiga is a Sporter model, certificate 26 February 2009. I looked carefully at the photos in the Sticky for neck expansion for Saigas, but do not have that at all. No big deal, just that this one does not have that "feature". I just lucked out with dimples, a PG hole and no "civilian chamber magic".
sailor

You definitely lucked out getting all 3 features, (barrel w/ mil-spec chamber, magwell dimples, factory pg hole), on a standard "sporter" Saiga rifle.

Perhaps you should go pick up a couple lotto tickets. :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic, 15 November 2009 - 09:10 PM.

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#62 Mullet Man

Mullet Man

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,845 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:23 PM

i need to pick up some brass and see for myself. i have the dimples and factory PG hole but havent run brass thru it yet.
anyone seen any with all 4 features? (PG hole, dimples, milspec chamber and 3rd axis location)

Are you a resident of Illinois? Join www.Illinoiscarry.com

Items for sale...http://forum.saiga-1...-vepr12-and-ak/

#63 imarangemaster

imarangemaster

Executive Member Tired & Retired Warrior!

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:48 AM

My 09 Saiga has dimples, pistol grip nut hole, but has a stepped case mouth.
"Peace through Superior Firepower"

#64 YWHIC

YWHIC

Served & Earned...

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,716 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:26 AM

I got 'no-step' casings and std magwell dimples. Its 12/16/08 mfg date (according to the book).

No cross-hatch pattern. PG hole was already cut also.

Attached File  leftside.jpg   6.98KB   3 downloads

Attached File  rightside.jpg   6.27KB   0 downloads

Edited by YouWontHearItComing, 26 November 2009 - 09:30 AM.

"Anyone whom threatens my existence, or whom erased my past, has no future" Quote By Me.
"Once they start shooting they all become just targets to me." Quote By Me.
BCM 14 1/2" Midlength [Shelly], Saiga 762x39 [Lynch], Glock 30, Marlin P70,

Savage 308, Sig 2022, Kahr CM9, M&P 22

#65 sailor

sailor

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:05 PM

I didn't think of it before, but no "cross hatch" on mine, either - I guess that makes 4 plus's, on top of being a Saiga. I was reading on another site about an AR 15 with a serious KABOOM!. Some one mentioned the AK's don't do that :haha: , at least no one came up with an example. I guess any machine can "do it wrong", but I have complete trust in my "Russian girl", as some poster says.
sailor

#66 icefire

icefire

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:08 PM

Just picked up my brand new Saiga 7.62 yesterday. Its a 09 by the stamping and 03/2009 from the certificate book, has dimples, looks like threaded barrel,does not ring cases, and has the x stamping. Looks like the PG hole is cut, but I'm not sure, (bad light).Havent taken off the handguard yet to look for the grooves, as soon as I do, I'll post here, with pics, too, of course..I'll post the pix tommorow.

My FIRST Saiga!!! IT'S here!!.....

Edited by icefire, 25 January 2010 - 02:43 AM.

#67 Mullet Man

Mullet Man

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,845 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:54 PM

Just picked up my brand new Saiga 7.62 yesterday. Its a 09 by the stamping and book, has dimples, looks like threaded barrel, does not ring cases, and has the x and y stampings. Havent taken off the handguard yet to look foir the grooves, as soon as I do, I'll post here, with pics, too, of course..

Please post a picture of the side of the receiver.

#68 icefire

icefire

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:31 PM

Been trying to post reciever pics of my New 09 Saiga all morning, all I get is error messages, "upload failed, contact system administrator"...As soon as it really works, I will post them.

#69 icefire

icefire

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:44 PM

Just picked up my brand new Saiga 7.62 yesterday. Its a 09 by the stamping and book, has dimples, looks like threaded barrel, does not ring cases, and has the x and y stampings. Havent taken off the handguard yet to look foir the grooves, as soon as I do, I'll post here, with pics, too, of course..

Please post a picture of the side of the receiver.

Ok, here it is, 09 saiga 7.62 with dimples

Attached Files

#70 Mullet Man

Mullet Man

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,845 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

Thanks.
Check page 1 post #10. You'll see what is referred to as the "Y stamp", this indicates, a full auto receiver. Its where the 3rd axis pin would go if there were a hole in that "Y".

#71 icefire

icefire

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:42 PM

Thanks.
Check page 1 post #10. You'll see what is referred to as the "Y stamp", this indicates, a full auto receiver. Its where the 3rd axis pin would go if there were a hole in that "Y".

Thanks. saw that after I posted. I guess I have some of the mil features, but not all 5..interesting, these Saigas...they're like a box of chocolates, "ya never know what yer gonna get"...

#72 Mullet Man

Mullet Man

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,845 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

Thanks.

Thanks. saw that after I posted. I guess I have some of the mil features, but not all 5..interesting, these Saigas...they're like a box of chocolates, "ya never know what yer gonna get"...

There is a link floating around somewhere to the BATFE about that thrid Y stamp in the receiver. They are on the look out for them. I doubt we as consumers will be seeing any more new production Saigas with that "feature". It would be a cool conversation piece tho!

#73 rickyblaze

rickyblaze

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:55 AM

:eek: I found a dimpled receiver with a threaded barrel at a gun shop close by. Only problem is I did'nt take it with me and put it on layaway. I'll have it next week, can't wait to see what it has

#74 Utah_Jay

Utah_Jay

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

I have an 09 I think. Mine has the dimples. My pistol grip hole was already cut.

#75 nalioth

nalioth

Citizen Soldier

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:52 PM

Thanks.

There is a link floating around somewhere to the BATFE about that thrid Y stamp in the receiver. They are on the look out for them. I doubt we as consumers will be seeing any more new production Saigas with that "feature". It would be a cool conversation piece tho!

Third "Y"s are fine. They exist on many factory AKs.

It's the spot welded plug in them that the revenuers are looking for.
"Tactical" is a mindset, not an equipment list.

#76 iyaoyas98

iyaoyas98

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

I had sent my Saiga to Cadiz for some warranty, apparently there is a list published by the ATF that discriminates against certain lots of serial numbers. Tom said they had to run my serial #, it came back clean. If it hadn't they would have kept/destroyed it and sent me a new one. Per Tom, This was mainly an issue with guns manufactured around '06. I don't like that idea at all.

#77 AK-OD

AK-OD

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

[quote name='imarangemaster' date='26 November 2009 - 07:52 AM' timestamp='1259243443' post='438934']
My 09 Saiga has dimples, pistol grip nut hole, but has a stepped case mouth.
[/quote

What is a stepped case mouth?.....Is this desirable?....and how do i tell?....Just picked up a 7.62x39 last night. Im gonna post some pics it has dimples but some of the markings are different.

#78 AK-OD

AK-OD

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:45 PM

Ok here are some not so great pics. Mine pretty much resembles the one a few posts above...looks like born on date of 1-29-09
Attached File  DSC03985.JPG   438.4KB   8 downloadsIt definately has dimples...and under the two symbols on the front lower right it has mk103 and the date, some kind of cryllic on right front upper part also...hopefully y'all can see this
Guess I will have to take the dust cover off to see if there is a PG hole

Attached Files

#79 AK-OD

AK-OD

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:52 PM

more pics

Attached Files

#80 Sumsky

Sumsky

Executive Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:02 PM

Thanks.

Have we found out anymore info on which rifles are coming out of the factory with the goodies? or like icefire says ( these Saigas...they're like a box of chocolates, "ya never know what yer gonna get"... )

#81 BlackLs1Ttop

BlackLs1Ttop

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:22 PM

from the pics i can see is all 09 7.62X39's have the dimples. my march 09 rifle has the dimples, pg hole, notches on the barral, notch vut on the front of the barral. i do not have the threaded barral on my gun, but i have not shot brass to see if the case has the swell on it, on wolf ammo there is no indication of a case neck swelling

#82 post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic

magnificent bastard

• Banned
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

from the pics i can see is all 09 7.62X39's have the dimples. my march 09 rifle has the dimples, pg hole, notches on the barral, notch vut on the front of the barral. i do not have the threaded barral on my gun, but i have not shot brass to see if the case has the swell on it, on wolf ammo there is no indication of a case neck swelling

If your rifle had a "stepped" chamber, there'd be obvious evidence of it on your expended cartridges, even on steel ones. Congrats on having a military barrel, even if it's not threaded. :up:

#83 BlackLs1Ttop

BlackLs1Ttop

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:11 PM

^^^ thanks for the reply. would the step really show on a steel case? i was going to buy some brass to find out. so i have no step in my chamber if it dident show on steel case? :super: nice to know

#84 n102788

n102788

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:15 PM

If your rifle had a "stepped" chamber, there'd be obvious evidence of it on your expended cartridges, even on steel ones. Congrats on having a military barrel, even if it's not threaded. :up:

Whats the big thing about having a non-stepped barrel. There is no accuracy loss or any negative effect on the bullet. Is it just an esthetic thing? If so wouldnt that be voided if you put a lets say ar type collapsing stock, or a non authentic PG, on the rifle because that wouldnt be authentic to ak's. I really don't understand the negitive feed back on steped barrels, they still perform just as well if not better in some cases than non stepped arsenal sgl barrels. Correct me if im wrong, I am just wondering.

#85 post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic

magnificent bastard

• Banned
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:53 PM

^^^ thanks for the reply. would the step really show on a steel case?...

Yep, it would.

#86 BlackLs1Ttop

BlackLs1Ttop

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:40 AM

^^^ thanks for the reply. would the step really show on a steel case?...

Yep, it would.

nice!! :super: knowing that i have a military barral kinda made my day. yes thank you very much, its weird how there was no threads on the muzzle tho

#87 evlblkwpnz

evlblkwpnz

6.5" S12 and 7" V12

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,065 posts
  • FFL_Verified
  • 07FFL / 2SOT

• Company Name:

evlutionz LLC

• Company Website:
    evlutionz.com
  • Contact Email:

evl@evlutionz.com

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:47 AM

I have been considering getting a 7.62x39 Saiga. I must have one with dimples. I absolutely do not want the stepped barrel. I know it doesn't hurt anything, but I just don't want it. Does anyone know of a dealer that has enough knowledge of their product to tell me whether or not the rifles they have in stock have the non-stepped barrel and dimples? I have been attempting to do business with a company that can't seem to identify canted sights (3 AKs sent back so far on one transaction due to canted sights), so I'm not even going to try getting one from them. It would be worth paying a little more to someone else that knows their product, to me.

Any help/input appreciated.

Edited by evlblkwpnz, 20 April 2010 - 07:12 AM.

Prodigy.... an unusual accomplishment.

OETpxqr.png?2

Federally Licensed Firearm Manufacturer

#88 BlackLs1Ttop

BlackLs1Ttop

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:58 PM

armsofamerica is a good place. andrew knows his stuff.he should be able to get one with dimples for you.

#89 bob the gunslinger

bob the gunslinger

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:37 PM

my dimpled saiga 7.62 had a pistol grip hole already and a threaded barrel!it`s an 3- 2009 model!

my dimpled saiga 7.62 had a pistol grip hole already and a threaded barrel!it`s an 3- 2009 model!

#90 evlblkwpnz

evlblkwpnz

6.5" S12 and 7" V12

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,065 posts
  • FFL_Verified
  • 07FFL / 2SOT

• Company Name:

evlutionz LLC

• Company Website:
    evlutionz.com
  • Contact Email:

evl@evlutionz.com

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:20 PM

armsofamerica is a good place. andrew knows his stuff.he should be able to get one with dimples for you.

Thank you for the lead. I just got another AR15 today and it will be a couple weeks before I can jump, but I'll call and see if I can talk to Andrew.

Prodigy.... an unusual accomplishment.

OETpxqr.png?2

Federally Licensed Firearm Manufacturer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users