I've been thinking about setting up a PayPal account. If you use one, do you find it useful and/or helpful? It does seem like it would take some of the worry about getting paid out of a transaction.

Also, if they don't allow gun related sales anymore, would you still consider it to be of value? Maybe if you buy a lot of stuff on the net.

Hello, WarriorJudge

I've had a PayPal account for a long time, long before they started their "anti-gun" campaign. It's almost a necessity if you deal in eBay merchandise (now they are linked at the hip) and really helpful for crisis situations, such as emergency dog rescue stuff.

They are not governed by any actual banking regulations, though...I would hesitate to leave any "virtual funds" on hand with them any longer than absolutely necessary.

Transactions involving guns are still easily pulled-off, you just have to avoid any firewall-triggering words or phrases in the communication.

I have never had a problem with them for the +/- 10 years I've dealt with 'em.

Respectfully,

guido2 in Houston

What he said.

I'm quite the art collector as far as they know, paying for chinese lamps and romanian wood art.

The problem arises when some ignorant soul sends YOU a paypal payment with "payment for Model X1000 SOOPER-DOOPER Baby-Killer w/backup baby seal club" mentioned in it. . .

As mentioned, they are not subject to any banking laws, so when they freeze both of your accounts for stuff they don't like, they keep your money for a long long time....

http://www.gearpay.com is 2A friendly if you do a lot of firearm business, but paypal can't be beat for general usefulness in all other areas (unfortunate, but true)

I have used it almost as a sole way to buy and sell items either here, several other gun forums and Ebay. I have no problem as I set up a catch phrase with the buyer or seller to signify what the item was. Never had a problem and don't anticipate one coming.

Good luck WJ.

Pay pal is fine for firearm related transactions as long as both parties understand that they can't mention anything firearm related. The problem is when you say, send somebody money for a magazine or something like that and the person tries to beat you for the money. You can't really tell paypal that you were using them to buy gun parts.

I have used it since they started, I sell ancient coins on ebay from time to time, and it does make it easier and faster to collect money for most items.

Had one guy stiff me on some coins I bought, and Paypal got my money back for me.

They may have their good and bad points, but they are basically just a business trying to provide a service.

As others have mentioned, discretion is the key with PayPal. I learned the hard way, though, that it's not just in the account transactions. I had my account frozen because I was accused of breaking their rules concerning firearms. What really happened was that I had a gun and some accessories for sale. I listed PayPal as an option for the holster only (clearly stated in the ad). PayPal apparently has a bot system, though, that searches web pages and looks for key words. Because my ad appeared in a Firearms For Sale section, it flagged on the words "Pay Pal" in the ad and generated an automatic freeze on my account. It was clear that no human ever read the ad, or they would have seen it was completely within their rules. Anyway, I deleted the PayPal reference and my account was restored.

They make many things convenient, but it would be very easy to avoid them on principle!

Jim

if you read the Paypal policy it is worded that certain firearms and related items are prohibited, it does not say all. says the same for knives and i can't tell you how many knives i have purchased off of ebay for a song and paid by paypal.

i've also used it to sell dozens of my shotgun shell belts and rifle shell bandoleers without even a hickup!

Hello

I have had a PayPal account for about 5 years & not problems. It works good so far

Now I just purchased Saiga parts from dinzag and paid with paypal. Lets see what happens with my FCG, gas piston & lower handguard

I've had different accounts with Paypal over the last seven years. With one account for an organization I was in charge of we had over $33k in and out and within 3 years and hundreds of transactions on it. There were a handful of problems and with enough patience and time invested, things USUALLY got worked out.

Same thing with a transaction I had from an eBay seller who screwed me. I jumped thorugh all Paypal and eBays hoops and it took me almost four months, dozens and dozens of e-mails and phone calls to have Paypal refund my money.

My advice to you if you open a PP account:

1. Open a seperate bank account to link to PP. There are many instances where PP freezes accounts supposedly based on a glitch rather than someone doing something messed up. I personally don't want PP having any connection to my main bank account. Also only use the debit card for that new account for the PP account. Same thing as the account; I don't want PP having access to one of my main credit cards.

On the other hand, about 3 months ago I noticed two transactions via PP on my bank account statement for $50 each. I didn't do those and I called PP and they handled it relatively quickly. It did take 2 weeks for my money to be refunded though.

2. I don't keep more than I'm willing to lose or get locked up for a bit of time in the PP balance or the bank account balance. If by some fluke they do freeze my PP account, they can only screw you out of the balance in the PP account.

Just like e-mails form banks; don't log into PP from the e-mail link. Also PP will always have your name in the e-mail to you.

Here's some bad PP info links...

http://www.aboutpaypal.org/

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

I don't use PP too much anymore, maybe 2-3 times a year. I am just leary from my experiences. Just be smart and careful and limit your risk.

• 1 year later...
My advice to you if you open a PP account:

1. Open a seperate bank account to link to PP. There are many instances where PP freezes accounts supposedly based on a glitch rather than someone doing something messed up. I personally don't want PP having any connection to my main bank account. Also only use the debit card for that new account for the PP account. Same thing as the account; I don't want PP having access to one of my main credit cards.

On the other hand, about 3 months ago I noticed two transactions via PP on my bank account statement for $50 each. I didn't do those and I called PP and they handled it relatively quickly. It did take 2 weeks for my money to be refunded though.

2. I don't keep more than I'm willing to lose or get locked up for a bit of time in the PP balance or the bank account balance. If by some fluke they do freeze my PP account, they can only screw you out of the balance in the PP account.

limit your risk.

+1 +1 +1

Link a SEPARATE bank account to it. And load the pay-pal account with only what you plan on spending.

My father recently had $600.00 disappear from his bank account. It turned out that somehow his pay-pal had been hacked.

Between his bank & pay-pal it was reimbursed, but it was a hassle & a wait.

He just set up another bank account at a different bank than his usual bank. He transfers funds from his main account to his pay-pal BANK account (Via Phone banking), then to pay-pal its self. this way regardless of spyware, only limited funds get tied up in fraudulent actions like he experienced.

A LOT of people are doing it like this. I am about to become one of them.

Good Luck.

2 weeks ago I tried to sell my first item over Ebay.

Boy I wish I researched into how PayPal will not release the buyers funds to you until 3 days after the item delivers. This INCLUDES THE GODDAMN SHIPPING CHARGE YOU CHARGE THE BUYER!

I will never sell on Ebay again. Craigslist ALL THE FUCKING WAY!

I have used paypal for about 10 years. It has been very convient over the years on a lot of deals with guys in the United Kingdom and Australia....all over the world really. But... yes I got in a dispute and got fucked by them in an ebay deal... Being a buyer you have more protection then if you were a seller. If you really want some funny reading look up "I hate paypal" and "paypal sucks" There are some good forums out there.

I ahte paypal with a passion due to thier EXTREMELY anti-gun stance. I try, to the best of my ability, to not support people who don't support freedom. Even for my book sales I set it up through google check out because I hate paypal so much. And I have to say, Google has been a BREEZE to work with!

2 weeks ago I tried to sell my first item over Ebay.

Boy I wish I researched into how PayPal will not release the buyers funds to you until 3 days after the item delivers. This INCLUDES THE GODDAMN SHIPPING CHARGE YOU CHARGE THE BUYER!

I will never sell on Ebay again. Craigslist ALL THE FUCKING WAY!

As far as I know, that's not really the way it works. It's not about you shipping the item, it's about them "transferring" the money to your account, cutting you a check, etc. I agree that the transfer time takes too long, but I don't think it has anything to do with you shipping the item. I've received paypal payments, and made people wait till it got transferred into my account before I shipped it, because I didn't have enough cash on hand to foot the bill for shipping (partially why I was selling stuff in the first place).

Just used paypal to purchase a T6 stock and a scope from one member here, and a UTG quadrail from another. Sent the funds through Sunday night and Monday morning, and expect the items soon. No mention was made in the transaction of the "goods" being purchased. None of paypal's beeswax, in my opinion.

So far, so good. Both members are semi regular posters here, as far as I can tell, so I'm sure all is on the level.

Edited by bohound

I dont like Paypal but i use it.There policys pretty much suck.I sold a Flashlight awhile back and had a "Buy it now" option.20 minutes after the the end of the auction the buyer emailed me that he misread the description and asked if he could cancel the deal,i said no problem and went thru the proper steps to not get charged the final value fees,i refunded his money a couple hours later then relisted the item and every thing seemed fine.2 weeks later i get a email saying the buyer opened a dispute that he never received his item, so they froze the amount in my Paypal account..i couldnt assess it until the dispute was resolved,all the proof of refund was sent that same day,it was all right there but the buyer and Paypal both dragged there feet for as long as they could according to there policy of handling disputes..Long story short,over a month later i got my funds back,after the claim being under "investigation by Paypal" for weeks i finaly had to call them and bitch out some young kid to get them to get off there azz and do something :angry:

I dont like Paypal but i use it.There policys pretty much suck.I sold a Flashlight awhile back and had a "Buy it now" option.20 minutes after the the end of the auction the buyer emailed me that he misread the description and asked if he could cancel the deal,i said no problem and went thru the proper steps to not get charged the final value fees,i refunded his money a couple hours later then relisted the item and every thing seemed fine.2 weeks later i get a email saying the buyer opened a dispute that he never received his item, so they froze the amount in my Paypal account..i couldnt assess it until the dispute was resolved,all the proof of refund was sent that same day,it was all right there but the buyer and Paypal both dragged there feet for as long as they could according to there policy of handling disputes..Long story short,over a month later i got my funds back,after the claim being under "investigation by Paypal" for weeks i finaly had to call them and bitch out some young kid to get them to get off there azz and do something :angry:

So... all that BS and you STILL use it? Switch to Google or gearpay man!

I had a paypal account for a while, and had no problems, but canceled it when their policies started to reflect their retarded politics. Seriously terrible business practices, as well, my old roomate sold a guitar on ebay and it took him almost 5 months to get paypal to send a check, and that was minus their extra fees for mistakes that THEY made. I had to create a new account earlier this year to pay for a firearm (er, i mean antelope) as there really is no faster way to send money accross the country, but i dont think i would ever endorse using paypal, as they have no interest in anything other than taking money from customers, and keeping it as long as possible so they can invest it in whatever messed up liberal project they have in mind.

Bleh.

So... all that BS and you STILL use it? Switch to Google or gearpay man!

I would but if you buy or sell on Egay thats about the only choice ya got,plus very few buyers have Google or Gearpay accounts.