Alright, all you married guys out there i need a hand

Engagement rings  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well, Here it goes, its about the time i'm gonna start saving up for a engagement ring, and all you married guys out there I wanna know what you would do if you could go through the buying process all over again? I've bought some small jewerly here and there but nothing nearly this big, so any info i'd gladly appreciate

• Don't buy a ring and just buy more saigas ;)
    • Go To a Pawn shop
    • Go to walmart
    • Go to the mall (Zales, De Bers and whatever)
    • Go to a family jeweler
    • Go to a direct diamond importer (ex. Antwerp Diamonds)
    • Buy from ebay/craigs list/classifieds
    • buy something small to start and upgrade later
    • Use layaway or financing at choice store
    • Other (add a reply)

lol i voted for "other" buy from me....got one but the b!tch wound up cheating on me....dirty whore....if ur serious i got all the details...

fyi...neither of the chics in my avatar.

Edited by 152dbs
lol i voted for "other" buy from me....got one but the b!tch wound up cheating on me....dirty whore....if ur serious i got all the details...

yea i been there with my last engagement unfortunately....but i won't be looking to run out and buy right away, least not for a year unless i win the lottery or get a higher paying job (which may been soon ;) ) but that really sucks man, what kinda ring is it?

yea i been there with my last engagement unfortunately....but i won't be looking to run out and buy right away, least not for a year unless i win the lottery or get a higher paying job (which may been soon ;) ) but that really sucks man, what kinda ring is it?

1 ct round solitaire, colorless (E), i think its an (I) for clarity...but w/ its colorless, it looks pretty damn clear to me....plat band.

1 ct round solitaire, colorless (E), i think its an (I) for clarity...but w/ its colorless, it looks pretty damn clear to me....plat band.

Any other pic's of the girls in your photo?? to share

sure...i got paypal..... :haha:

I used the mentality in my recent ring purchase that I use when I buy my weapons.

Buy once and buy the best you can afford.....if she is truely the one.

Engagement Ring

Wedding Band

My girl loves her rings, and this is really the only bling-bling she wears. She is not a gold digger as she knows I'm an active duty Marine....she knows it's not a get rich career. But, I feel that she is worth being able to show off her rings as much as I get to show off her so it's a win, win situation.

Good luck with your future endeavors. :super:

Buy new and don't scrimp.... unless it is a "Family hand me down" that means something.....

IMO pawn shop rings carry a stigma of a bad relationship...... not that I'm superstitious or anything....

Just that new says you're worth it vs. look at the killer deal I got on this used ring...........

Buy the diamond and mount seperately. Bought the diamond from Blue Nile. Do your homework and you can get a great diamond with the specs you want at a great price from there. When I took the diamond to get looked at by the jewler, he asked where I got it at. Told him off the internet and the price and his jaw hit the floor. Said it was a great deal.

But once again, make sure to do your homework first on diamonds. Clarity, cut, color. and Carat weight.

sure...i got paypal..... :haha:

Cool then...wanna buy some? :haha:

Get her the absolute best diamond and ring that you can possibly afford w/o debt. You are establishing her value to you and you will continue to do so all your married life. There are many versions of the story of Johnny Lingo and his 8 cow wife but the following will establish my point. Always buy her the very best that you can and treat her as if she were the most precious of all your posessions. You will reap a lifetime of happiness and all the guns or hobbies that you want. Wisdom from one who knows. Just for fun here is a picture of the proof of my theory after 27 years of marriage.

post-3915-1220890522_thumb.jpg

Eight-Cow Wife: Johnny Lingo lived in the South Pacific. The islanders all spoke highly of this man, but when it came time for him to find a wife the people shook their heads in disbelief. In order to obtain a wife you paid for her by giving her father cows. Four to six cows was considered a high price. But the woman Johnny Lingo chose was plain, skinny and walked with her shoulders hunchedand her head down. She was very hesitant and shy. What surprised everyone was Johnny's offer -- he gave eight cows for her! Everyone chuckled about it, since they believed his father-in-law put one over on him.

Several months after the wedding, a visitor from the U.S. came to the islands to trade and heard the story about Johnny Lingo and his eight-cow wife. Upon meeting Johnny and his wife the visitor was totally taken back, since this wasn't a shy, plain and hesitant woman but one who was beautiful, poised and confident. The visitor asked about the transformation, and Johnny Lingo's response was very simple. "I wanted an eight-cow woman, and when I paid that for her and treated her in that fashion, she began to believe that she was an eight-cow woman. She discovered she was worth more than any other woman in the islands. And what matters most is what a woman thinks about herself."

Edited by 1911

Is she a virgin or have you guys already been down the road of carnality?I would say a nice long engagement is in order if you aren't religious and just rushing into it because you want to mate with her.I courted the woman I am married to for 4 years just so we got the kinks worked out and we each knew what to expect.We just celebrated our 10th anniversary and got all of the problems that cause most people to get divorced out of the way beforehand.I have know this woman and wanted her since 1994 but she thought I was "charming but sleazy" and wouldn't "give it up" out of wedlock and I wasn't about to try and con a girl like that lest God strike me dead,lol

Women these days are fickle,easily offended and twice as likely to cheat when their feelers get hurt as a man so get ready for some serious turbulence if you don't have a kethubah(marriage contract) and a partner who is committed to an authority other than her "feelings".

I refer to my wife as "the woman who will throw the dirt over my grave" as I am committed until death and she refers to me as "The one and only sire of her offspring".It may sound funny but some of the things that we committed to have really gone a long way towards making our marriage solid.

1.Have some modesty,never go to the toilet in front of your spouse

2.Never argue with females,condescend and sit them on your lap telling them "it's ok baby" then do what you want anyway if they haven't talked some sense into you by then,lol

3.Pick your battles:Let them make 80% of the decisions that no man really cares about but make them think it's because you are deferring to their expertise."Gee honey,you'd know more about that than I would,you decide" Example:I may have purple couch and a house that smells like potpourri but I live a considerable distance from my mother in law who grates my every nerve.She can decide all of the superfluous details but I make the big decisions and she rarely question my decisions.

4.Do nice things for your wife at least 3 times per week whether you feel like it or not.I mean force yourself to cook,give her massages,etc.Even if she's being cranky that will go a long way towards making her appreciate you and snapping out of it.

5.Pause and look her up and down every time she gets dressed and puts on makeup and say what you would if you wanted to "get some"I MEAN EVERY SINGLE DAY.My wife gets ready to go to the office and I look her up and down and say "Oooooh baby look at that sexy girl,you look good enough to eat baby"Doing this on a daily basis will firmly fix in her mind that she is desired and important and even if you aren't in the mood to be nice doing so will guarantee that she will accommodate your every whim when opportunity arises(if you know what I mean)

I never bought my wife an engagement ring but she tells her friends that I treat her like a queen and that makes me the king right? ;)All of our friends have gotten married and divorced in the time we have been married and we noticed that the majority of the reasons were easily avoided and all of them went to moon with engagement rings,new houses,exotic honeymoons but because they didn't have any idea of how to manage their day to day relationship they ended up divorced in 5-7 years.

If she really loves you she'll say yes quickly and marry you without the engagement ring!

Get her the absolute best diamond and ring that you can possibly afford w/o debt. You are establishing her value to you and you will continue to do so all your married life. There are many versions of the story of Johnny Lingo and his 8 cow wife but the following will establish my point. Always buy her the very best that you can and treat her as if she were the most precious of all your posessions. You will reap a lifetime of happiness and all the guns or hobbies that you want. Wisdom from one who knows. Just for fun here is a picture of the proof of my theory after 27 years of marriage.

post-3915-1220890522_thumb.jpg

:eek:

1911 -- I believe you experienced a moment of "seniortiss" by posting that photo of your beautiful missus.

Like, take another hard look my-man!

She's NOT wearing a wedding or engagement or any other sort of band or ring, on any finger of her left hand!!!!!!!!

:lolol: ..... :lolol: ..... :lolol: ..... :lolol: ..... :lolol: ..... :lolol: ............... :haha:

Edited by Gary
Gary :lolol: we don't always put on our jewelry first thing on a Saturday morning after 27 years. Personally I think she looks hot with or without it. :victory:

1911 -- I completely understand and couldn't agree with you more.

I just found it funnier and ironic as heck.... that here we are sharing opinions regarding engagement rings, etc.... and you stated all that you did... while posting a photo of your wife, sans wedding band or engagement ring.

You gotta admit.... that's pretty dog-gone funny!!!!

:super:

My sentiments exactly,

By the biggest rock you can afford, buy a new one, and get platinum for the Band, It last longer and takes wear better.

Put it on layaway or credit or something.

I used the mentality in my recent ring purchase that I use when I buy my weapons.

Buy once and buy the best you can afford.....if she is truely the one.

Engagement Ring

Wedding Band

My girl loves her rings, and this is really the only bling-bling she wears. She is not a gold digger as she knows I'm an active duty Marine....she knows it's not a get rich career. But, I feel that she is worth being able to show off her rings as much as I get to show off her so it's a win, win situation.

Good luck with your future endeavors. :super:

Word of experience: such a ring is legally considered a 'gift' and should the relationship go sour as half do in this country, kiss that $$$ goodbye forever, even if it's considered a family heirloom (unless you have a prenup agreement.) Take it from one who knows. :o

Guns, and a cubic zirconia, brilliant cut. If she has it appraised, then she's a gold digger and you're better off without her anyhow! About 1/2 to 3/4 carat should do it. Have it put in a really nice setting.

Your fiance already knows, right? So let her have a hand in picking the ring. The two of you go out together and look. Pay very close attention to what she likes. She doesn't have to be there when you buy it, get it by yourself and then give it to her when she's not expecting it. DO NOT get a used ring unless it's a family heirloom. Even if it was only purchased for a relationship that went sour, and was never given, the intent was there, and went sour. It's still bad luck.

My wife picked her engagement ring, and was very happy with it. Actually, she's not real fond of diamonds, and didn't pick one. She told me that everyone had diamonds, so they couldn't be that special.

As a machinist, I'm not supposed to even wear any rings, and studying to be a nurse, she wasn't either. For our 15th anniversary, on the anniversary date, we got a tattoo ring on each of our ring fingers, and don't wear the bands anymore.

Ok this is not where I bought my woman's ring from, but they do have pictures of it.

Le Vian Pink Saphire & Diamonds.

Luckily for me she's a rockhound too. She knows diamonds are not rare and that the supply & price are controlled. Plus she likes colored stones far more anyway.

Gota love a woman who don't buy into fertilizer that De Beers is spreading. :wub:

Edited by DHunter

Hello

Don't waste a bunch of money on a diamond. I mean, yeah, it's an engagement/ wedding ring, so it needs a diamond, but I would spend the $$$ on a unique (read: "custom made") setting that she would really appreciate, with a small but tasteful diamond and maybe even another precious or semi-precious stone setting as well.

Diamonds are a total rip. Yeah, ya gotta do a diamond, but don't be a sucker and be pulled into that bullshit and spend a fortune on one.

Really, they all pretty much look alike, once they're mounted and you're looking at 'em from a few feet away. A really nice, artful setting stands out a lot more, and says a lot more than a diamond that looks like all the other millions of diamonds could ever say.

For instance, I'm a woodworker, so my wife got me a beautiful custom wedding band made with big Oak trees running around it. Her band has Oak leaves intertwined around it, with a few small, tasteful diamonds sprinkled around. I think they're beautiful, and we get people mentioning how unique they are fairly regularly.

Probably cost a lot less than a big honkin' rock would have, but they mean a lot more to both of us.

Hope this helps....

guido2 in Houston

Go to a jewelry store with her, make a day of it. Don't do this right before you buy it, that's too obvious Notice what she likes and take mental notes (whippin out a pad and paper in the store just doesn't seem right to me ). Once you got her style down you can either go out yourself if your comfortable/good at buying jewelry or take the weasel way out and get her to come along.

Either way, you put effort into it, not just $. That being said...spend some dough.

+1 to Tritium, if it all goes south don't ask for it back (and be a stubborn ass and don't take it back, you'll cry if you try to sell it back)