I admit it, I am a gym dweller. 10 years ago I had a health crisis and my doctor recommended a lifestyle change. Now I watch what I eat and exercise religiously. I figure it will be better to be fit in an emergency anyway. Have not been in as good a shape since my days in the USMC twenty some odd years ago. Besides walking my dog, I run at least 21 miles every week on an elliptical at 85% max resistance and lift weights for two+ hours and 400 crunches every other day. The fun part is I enjoy it now and feel miserable if I don't get my fix. I figure I am adding years to my life and all of my health problems have gone away too. Anyone else here involved in fitness?

I have been quite often referred to as 'muscles', although I think it was meant to be ironic. My muscles are mostly just for show. I was into weightlifting in high school for bodybuilding purposes only, and only recently have I been trying to beat some functional strength and endurance into my slender, 145 lb frame. I'm not exactly made for excessive and unusual punishment. :(

I've been wanting to get some kind of routine going, but I'm a procrastinator :ded: .

I've recently lost about 30LBS (was 210 about 7 months ago), which fits my 6' frame a little better. Now I just want to actually get in shape. My weight loss can't be credited to working out, or eating right. It's 100% due to not eating at work. I was a cook for 5 years, up until 7 months ago, and ate all day long at work :D , which maintained my 210LB body.

Now, with a new job, I don't eat anything at work. That's the only change I've had, so that's the only thing I can credit for losing weight. But I'm not necessarily healthier than before, just lighter.

So as soon as I quit smoking, I'll get into a routine and try to get in shape and be all healthy and whatnot.

So as soon as I quit smoking, I'll get into a routine and try to get in shape and be all healthy and whatnot.

Watch out with the weight gain when you quit. I quite 4 years ago and put on about 20 lbs. had t0o work like hell to get 'em off.

As to the original post, Yeah, I try to work out everyday. I have a treadmill, weight machine, inversion table, and boxinhg equipment in my basement. I got a new 70 lb. Everlast heavy bag for christmas. the old one finally wore out. I've been boxing since I was 15 and joined the AAU league in Fayetteville. Now I do it mostly for exercise, no kick boxing, no extreme fighting. Just boxing. I still step into the ring 3 or 4 times a year. I need a new speed bag now, but they're relatively cheap.

Just started.

About 9 yrs ago started working out to lose some weight to try to get into the Army Reserves. Went from 250 to about 188 but got turned down for unrelated health reasons. Kept it off for a while with Karate but a few years ago I injured my leg with a high kick and never restared after I recovered. I've since put back on all the weight so just this week I started going again w/ my little brother. Takes some getting used to.

Edited by cvasqu03
Shovel Snow !

I just got done. It's one of my favorite things to do. Right up there with working my land, felling trees and creating huge piles of firewood. If my wife touches one square foot of my snow, I get pretty pissy about it.

My keeping in shape is just keeping busy with work and lots of play too.

A pretty well balanced diet (need to eat more greens though)...12 oz curls daily, a healthy dose of bedroom :wub: aerobics... :D ... mixed with the chores of keeping up with a house and ten acres. Disc golf on Saturdays.

<-- Dead head and 10% body fat

Though I hate the gym this time of year--drives me nuts. New Years Resolutions are inane, everyone should always have a health goal, don't make the last digit on a calendar decide for you. Or you will fail.

[vent]

If you are a new years gym go-er I do mean to offend. Get over the fact it's your new years resolution and come to grips it's a lifestyle change (as in from here on out rest of your life type of thing) and you'll be much better off. Fuck the knucle dragger jack-lalane wannabe selling you the membership, slimy fucks are the used car dealers of fitness. And if you find yourself standing there clueless and in everyone's way--just ASK someone a question. If you're at the right gym, people are friendly.

[/vent]

And on that note. If you can't make the gym but twice a week, make one deadlift day and the other squats (assuming no knee or back injury). Girls too. That's all ya need.

I went to the gym quite regularly, the problem is I have scar tissue in my left hip socket, I was run over by a full size chevy truck when I was around 21/22...

I usually lift for 45-60 min and run for 45 on an elliptical that was 4 times a week... but with 3 kids a wife, a house and a job that can take up to 10 hours of my time a day sometimes, I have not been doing anything much except shoveling snow.

I'm down to 199lbs from 235.. when I slacked off I was ~190...

My wife does daycare at the gym, so we get a free family membership...

<-- Dead head and 10% body fat

Though I hate the gym this time of year--drives me nuts. New Years Resolutions are inane, everyone should always have a health goal, don't make the last digit on a calendar decide for you. Or you will fail.

[vent]

If you are a new years gym go-er I do mean to offend. Get over the fact it's your new years resolution and come to grips it's a lifestyle change (as in from here on out rest of your life type of thing) and you'll be much better off. Fuck the knucle dragger jack-lalane wannabe selling you the membership, slimy fucks are the used car dealers of fitness. And if you find yourself standing there clueless and in everyone's way--just ASK someone a question. If you're at the right gym, people are friendly.

[/vent]

And on that note. If you can't make the gym but twice a week, make one deadlift day and the other squats (assuming no knee or back injury). Girls too. That's all ya need.

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. :super:

crossfit.com

Best functional, fitness and strength program out there. It's kinda a combo of power-lifting, circuit training, gymnastics, and parkor. I admit I don't follow the WODs exactly but the overall philosophy is the basis of my fitness efforts. I really like how the whole point of crossfit is to train you to have more survivability in combat. It's really pretty amazing, the level of fitness you can archive.

Also I agree that being in good shape is a one of the most important and basic SHTF preparations you can make. IE in my opinion more important than firearms.

S/F

Gyms are for pansies. :haha: I lift trees all day for exercise. I couldn't imagine going to a gym to work out. Isn't it ghastly boring? The way I see it, the time you spend in a gym staring at a wall or TV could be spent rock climbing, or tree climbing, or biking, or hiking, or running, or walking, or pogo sticking, or riding ostriches, or hula hooping, or any number of social activities that also develop muscles and burn fat, but are out and about.

Just my thought,

Acer

I have a decent gym in the basement (dumbells, bench, lat/row machine, elliptical) that I've mostly ignored for the last few years. I quit smoking 3 weeks ago today (grumble grumble, still not any easier) and have been working out hard ever since. I'm 7 days into a 90 day program (haven't missed any so far) and I usually do cardio after the program for another hour or so. So far I've managed to keep my weight about where it was before I quit smoking (including all the gorging over the holidays) so I'm happy with that. The program I'm doing now focuses on using moderately heavy weights SLOWLY. The weights have to be heavy enough to cause muscle failure in 10-12 reps. I've been sore every day since I started the program and it seems to be working really well.

I play hockey once a week for a house league (been going for about a year and a half now) and I think I'm going to start judo soon. I hate working out for the sake of working out, but I love hard work. I love going out to my friends farm to help out during harvest time, I love going caving, hiking, backpacking, etc. But running on a treadmill is depressing. However I've found that this can be countered by blasting Amon Amanth, Trivium, and old Metallica at high volumes :smoke:

I work out anywhere from 3 times a week to 5 times a week. I have a number of things i do with some dumbells that i stopped getting any strength building out of a while ago. After a while its just cardio:-P I also do a lot of push ups/situps. I notice a pretty big difference in how well i maintain myself when i'm working too. Whenever work is slow, i tend to gain, it picks up i lose.

Diet isn't really my thing, but my taste for food is a bit on the healthyer side. I don't like mayo for example, and i prefer balsamic dressing on my subs/salads, don't eat white bread, like wheat, bunch of little things like that...

I never liked gyms, i swear 1/2 the people that go to them are there to socialize. Joked around about them being peanut factories from the time i was in the marines(its a reference to steroids making your balls small).

I'm 5' 8" 180lbs, stocky athletic build... but the holiday season did take a toll on me too, I was at 185, and i need to lose another 5 to get back to 175 where i'm quite happy.

Gyms are for pansies. :haha: I lift trees all day for exercise. I couldn't imagine going to a gym to work out. Isn't it ghastly boring? The way I see it, the time you spend in a gym staring at a wall or TV could be spent rock climbing, or tree climbing, or biking, or hiking, or running, or walking, or pogo sticking, or riding ostriches, or hula hooping, or any number of social activities that also develop muscles and burn fat, but are out and about.

Just my thought,

Acer

There are usually other things to look at. :angel:

Round is a shape.

As a matter of fact, it's the shape I'm working hard at achieving.

It's tough eating donuts, loafing in front the tv/pc/xbox360, and eating salt-n-vinegar chips before and after dinner. I also do the 12oz curl but at the apex of every rep that weight drops by the amount I drink.

It's been tougher than I thought it would be but with sheer determination I am going to achieve this goal!

I have been a gym rat for about 40 years. I still work out six times per week. Run, elliptical cross trainer and a bit of weight lifting. I used to do Judo and Preying Mantis Kung Fu, but I no longer have time to fit that into my schedule and I'm getting less motivated as I age. However, I still enjoy working out and I do not feel as good when I do not get my workout in.

I do have to admit that good results were a lot easier to achieve when I was in my 20s!

WJ

It's amazing how few gymgoers do deadlifts and squats regularly, or even at all. I personally swear by the deadlift, but lately I've had to forgo the barbell for the more accessible ammo boxes. B) 60 lbs of 7.62x39 is a pretty good workout if you do like 100 reps.

I ride a bike, 2-4 mornings a week. I do 35-50 miles. I have taken a brake since Christmas and then I rode 51 miles in 2 hours and 21 minutes.

I also do 100 pushups a day and 150 sit-ups on a Swiss ball. I curl 3-4 days a week starting with 60 Lbs dumbells (15 right, 13 left) and work my way down a pyramid till failure to the 15 pounders. I find that I am more prone to injury if I do too light a weight.

I also used to go to a MMA gym till December and work out there, including hiring partners for workout. I may start back teaching a class.

I am an older guy reaching the end of my useful product life. This is my way of hoping to stretch that out a little bit. :D

Edited by Azrial

Well, I got out of the Corps back in nov of '93..

Got out and worked construction for a few years...

My wife got me in as a Screen Printer at a shop she was at in '97..

I opened my own shop in 2001 and went to work......

I worked around the clock, and then one day in 2007... I stopped... and looked in the mirror...

I went to the Doc and realized I had some health issues and a few "Health Scares".....

The hard work, smoking and crap diet had me on the ropes....

About a year later, I'm down from damn near 300 lbs to about 250.... Smoke free and a very good (although no perfect) diet. (I stand aroud 6'3".. so it's not like I was 5'5" at 300 lbs)

I'm biking about 12 miles a day and I got a set of workout videos I got for a buck ea. at the wal mart check out... (Proving to the wife, I can do just as good with my Wal Mar dollar videos as she can with her 40 dollar Gilad Videos.... LOL!!! I'm Stuborn enough to make it work.... :smoke: )

I have also set aside a spot in the shop as an Airsoft range and I do my rifle and hadgun drills every day..

I have a nice Airsoft AK and a nice GBB Glock 19.. So I train with the Airsoft counterpart as my real world "Go To's"...

although some of my issues can not be fixed by working out, My Dr., Wife and myself are very pleased with where I'm at now... as to where I was at....

If the reaper is a comin' for me..... I'm gonna make him work for it....

Edit: Season the Obese:

I was always in good shape. Ran several miles a day, did bench contests, Tao Chi Kungfu, All Tri-state noseguard, and boxing. I loved all of it. I was always big for my height though, they called me stump.

I went to boot at Ft. Knox in '87 and was 185 which was 30 pounds over as far as the Army was concerned. Three months later I came out of Recon Scout training at 178 lbs. Guess I wasn't too bad from the start. :rolleyes:

Anywho, A few years ago I started having terrible back pain, but just thought it would pass. However, I started slowing down terribly and got to the point where I could barely walk much less run. Then finally over the summer it got to the point that I was losing the use of my bowels, legs, etc. and had gained a terrible amount of weight. I found out I had Spinal Stenosis in my T10. They did a Thoracic Laminectomy in June and am just getting where I can due some things. Problem is I never slowed up my food intake as I was always very active.

Needless to say, here I set going to be 40 years old next month and am pushing 300 lbs. now.

Does anyone know of anyone or maybe heard of something that I could do to slowly get myself back? I know I'll never be what I was, but I sure would like to do some long hikes again and maybe even go a round or two boxing.

I don't believe in letting life getting you down, but sometimes we do need to re-evaluate our circumstances and plot a new course.

Thank you for your time. :super:

If you have your health, don't take it for granted. If you feel like something is wrong, don't wait three years to check it out. Permanent damage is permanent.

BTW, just bought my first Saiga............gotta love it. :killer: