• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have had 763 Glocks under my care at one point and was one of the members of a three person committee that tested and compared them against other pistols for selection as our carry pistol. As a part

By the way, the next time you plagiarize Wikipedia and other Internet sources to make a point, you really should give them credit instead of trying to sound like you originated this. Almost every line

I just noticed your avatar, Azrial. You probably took offense with the fact that the 5.7 defeats body armor. Might as well take off that crap and fight like a pig!

Posted Images

Truth be told, most are of similar quality...I know I'll start a war with the ones that worship their favs, but all striker fired polymer pistols do the same thing, they fire bullets. Find one that fits you, that you can afford, that's in the caliber of your choice. My current "plastic" pistol is a Ruger SR9. Slim, accurate, holds 17+1 in 9mm. Loaded with Double Tap 147 grain bonded JHP's with two extra mags, I am not undergunned! Of course, there are your XD's, your Glocks, M&P's, etc. Just do yourself a favor and find a range that rents pistols and find what feels the best to you, that you can shoot the best, and that you can afford. After you find a few that you are really interested in, do a google search for reviews on them and make your choice! Also, when you are actually gonna buy, check around at the pawn shops for the best price on a used one. Chances are with these economic times, the most of them won't have had many rounds ran through them and people are cashing them in for rent and groceries.

I am a big fan of the 1911 platform, but it can get a little heavy to carry all day, so I usually carry the SR9 in the cooler months and a Kel Tek pocket gun in the warmer months with a larger truck gun.

Hope I have helped and not confused.

Edited by unclejake
  • Like 1

The Glock-17 has been through the most intensive torture testing of any other pistol because it was the first polymer framed pistol.

Google & research the Glock before buying & you will likely settle there.

It is not the prettiest, but it truly is the AK of pistols.

You can buy the "Glock-Clip" so you can carry full sized concealed & it bulges less than a compact pistol with a holster.

Also many police service pistols come with Nitestghts. These are absolutely necessary at night in the dark if you want to use your sights at night. They are amazing.

Also police service pistols can be found for less than $400.00. (with Nitesights)

Pay attention to what the LEOs here say. Their lives depend on their sidearms every day.

Most will say Glock all the way.

Here is mine.

post-19652-12554937811738_thumb.jpg

whats the best in accuracy, functionality, reliability, durability, field strips and cleans easily comes with the most options and accessories for the price, should come in for sure 45acp kicks the most ass and everybody has to f-ing have one (take a deep breath) polymer pistol.

wait i probably should stick to my 1911. but if not whats the way to go?

Glocks are great guns, but ill take my xd... You really cant go wrong with either though. I just liked the way the xd held way more than the Glocks so i went with it. I say find a place that will let you rent one of each for a day and see which you like better.

Glocks are great guns, but ill take my xd... You really cant go wrong with either though. I just liked the way the xd held way more than the Glocks so i went with it. I say find a place that will let you rent one of each for a day and see which you like better.

That's why I said what I did. Glocks are fine weapons, but some folks have an issue with the grip width and angle of Glocks. Personally, I like them, just got too good a deal on my Ruger...dude owed me $$$ and I got it from him as payment..made out REAL GOOD ;) Everyone is different.

I've got a Glock 10mm and put pachmyer grips with finger grooves (an early model) and Meprolight night sights and am extremely happy with it, plain jane out of the box, I could hit bullseyes all day. The grips made it even better. One thing I would reccommend, if you are going to get Tritium sights, get orange in front and green in rear or visa-versa or whatever. It is entirely to easy to line up your dots off center if the front sight isn't a different color than the rears. Glock is the only true rugged polymer to consider. JMHO.

I have the glock 9mm and it was my only polymer gun for years. Then came the XD and I think there is no comparison. I'll take my XD .40 subcompact over the glock any time "BUT" I'm not giving up the Glock either.

GLOCK 17! as stated they are the AK of pistols... I had a steyr m1-a and the grip didn't fit my hand right so I didn't likt it too much, but it was a pretty cool gun though. XDs, I don't have enough experience with um yet to make a determination.

Glock...They are alot of additional accesories for them..holsters training etc..As everyone else knows they are strong as hell..Extremely reliable...kinda ugly... butt. our great great grand kids will more than likely be shooting ours long after we are dead and buried...

I prefer the FN FiveseveN for the following reasons:

1) After more than 10,000 thousand rounds I have never, NOT ONCE, had a stoppage

2) 5.7 ammo also works in P90/PS90

3) The ambidextious safety location allows me to equal or exceed the times of others using Glocks w/out a safety

4) 5.7 has so little recoil my follow-up shots are faster and more accurate

5) 5.7 defeats body armor

6) It is quiet, and with a can, it hardly even whispers

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjöld

There are a lot of folks here that will recommend their personal polymer framed pistol "as good" or even better then the Glock. Well who knows, some day the Glock design is sure to be surpassed!

But keep in mind that no other pistol is as proven through adoption and hard usage by the military and the law enforcement as the Glock. So on one hand, you have solid proof through thousands of reports, and on the other some guy's rock solid faith in his own opinion based largely on the fact that he has one and it has worked pretty good... :angel:

...some folks have an issue with the grip width and angle of Glocks...

"Some folks"? There's a word for em: pussies. :haha:

Glock's the original polymer-frame pistol and still the most reliable and solid.

As long as you use a Glock in 9mm. It seems that they are having issues with all other calibers of some type or another, and having trouble with Glock admitting any error or wrong doing on their part. Take a look on Glocktalk and you will find LOADS of threads referring to the many problems.

The Glock is a good gun, I prefer the standard XD series, they just fit my hand better; I also like the Walther P99.

The which handgun question has been asked a thousand times, you know the good brands, just get what fits you best :)

There are a lot of folks here that will recommend their personal polymer framed pistol "as good" or even better then the Glock. Well who knows, some day the Glock design is sure to be surpassed!

But keep in mind that no other pistol is as proven through adoption and hard usage by the military and the law enforcement as the Glock. So on one hand, you have solid proof through thousands of reports, and on the other some guy's rock solid faith in his own opinion based largely on the fact that he has one and it has worked pretty good... :angel:

"...no other pistol is as proven through adoption and hard usage by the military and the law enforcement as the Glock."

Please, Sir, what is your source? Or is this coming from just some guy? Maybe no other polymer, but for all pistols, as you stated, then I think that some makers in Germany would have something to say about that, and so would the 1911 folks here in the USA.

Please keep in mind that FN Herstal (the maker of the FiveseveN and a Belgian company) is currently the largest manufacturer of military and law enforcement small arms in the world. Second place isn't even close, and it isn't Glock.

I appreciate, Azrial, how you chose to ignore my list of actual features and benefits of the FiveseveN, and instead went with the old everybody who is anybody uses it rhetoric. Unfortunately, with all of our current president's rhetorical arguments permiating the airwaves, it seems to be rubbing off on people, and so it now gets harder everyday to get a decent argument. More change, I suppose.

By the way, I think the point of the thread was to elicit member's opinions as to the BEST polymer, with features and benefits to back it up. If one wants to know what the most POPULAR polymer is, as selected by a bunch of "some guys" or more likely "some gals" in municipal purchasing departments, then yes, it is Glock, although the price may have something to do with that.

PS: I currently own three FiveseveNs, not one.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjöld
  • Like 1

I always have customers feel them all and recommend going with the one that is most comfortable in their hand.

Here is a simple breakdown of features that are advantages/disadvantages between different makes and models:

Glock

Advantage: Extreme reliability; Best Aftermarket Parts, Upgrades, Replacements; Low price point ~ $499 if you shop around for a base model; they retain value well as there is a large Glock following and torture tests have shown that they last over 100,000 rounds (springs and parts that can wear out cost less than $10 to replace and are easy to find); Mags are cheap and easy to find.

Disadvantage: No external On/Off safety; Set Frame Dimensions with no Adjustable Grips, other than 21SF it is not ambidextrous on slide and mag release

XD:

Advantage: Added Grip Safety; easy to find magazines.

Disadvantage: To pull slide back, grip safety must be pressed; Not Ambidextrous on slide release.

XDM:

Advantage: Match barrel; Multiple Grip configurations; highest capacity in calibers offered (19+1 in 9mm and 16+1 in 40 S&W).

Disadvantage: Same as XD and there are no compact models - One size fits all on the XDM.

M&P:

Advantage: 3 interchangable grips

Disadvantage: No external safety besides trigger - New models can have safety and/or magazine safety (won't fire without mag).

Berretta (PX4 and 90 Two):

Advantage: External Safety/Decocker; PX4 has multiple grips, Ambidextrous de-cocker

Disadvantage: Double and Single Action System (may be advantage, but you have two different pull weights for defense - first is long and heavy, second is short and light); De-cocker only is separate model; Price point is about $50 to $150 more than others.

HK P30:

Advantage: Very ergonomic (best feeling pistol in my hand out of all); Full ambidextrous controls for slide, mag drop and de-cocker.

Disadvantage: Price Point is over $1000. After market parts will be difficult to track down.

Other HK's - The USP has a different rail style in front, so flashlights/laser attachments require adapter. Still have best ambidextrous function. The Steyr has Triangular sights and a big grip swell (not comfortable in my hand). Finding magazines for HK's and Steyrs is typically harder and more expensive.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer
  • Like 1

Glock

Advantage: Extreme reliability; Best Aftermarket Parts, Upgrades, Replacements; Low price point ~ $499 if you shop around for a base model; they retain value well as there is a large Glock following and torture tests have shown that they last over 100,000 rounds (springs and parts that can wear out cost less than $10 to replace and are easy to find); Mags are cheap and easy to find.

Disadvantage: No external On/Off safety; Set Frame Dimensions with no Adjustable Grips, other than 21SF it is not ambidextrous on slide and mag release

Advantage: No external On/Off safety. The primary safety for every dangerous instrument is between one's ears.

XD:

Advantage: Added Grip Safety; easy to find magazines.

Disadvantage: To pull slide back, grip safety must be pressed; Not Ambidextrous on Mag Drop, slide release.

Advantage: Mag release IS ambidextrous.

M&P:

Advantage: 3 interchangable grips

Disadvantage: No external safety besides trigger - New models can have safety and/or magazine safety (won't fire without mag).

Advantage: No external On/Off safety. The primary safety for every dangerous instrument is between one's ears.

HK P90:

Advantage: Very ergonomic (best feeling pistol in my hand out of all); Full ambidextrous controls for slide, mag drop and de-cocker.

Disadvantage: Price Point is over $1000. After market parts will be difficult to track down.

WTF is a H&K P90 ?

Walther P99:

Advantage: Very ergonomic (best feeling pistol in my hand out of all); Full ambidextrous mag release and de-cocker. S&W produces a licensed copy here in the USA.

Disadvantage: None.

• Like 1

Steyr (in 9mm, .40 S&W and .357 Sig):

Advantage: Basically, it's a better Glock than Glock. Traditionally rifled barrel is safe to use with cast bullets. Simplest field stripping procedure of any pistol. Pretty darn accurate. The stock trapezoid sights are fast and accurate.

Disadvantage: Few people in the US have heard of them. Trapezoid sights are weird, and not night sights. Factory mags are a little expensive, but Browning High Power mags can easily be modded to work.

s5steyr-6.jpg

dsc7978fy4.jpg

s5steyr-10.jpg

• Like 3

Hmm...a thread full of people endorsing Glocks, and Twinsen is nowhere to be found? ;)

I will add another vote to the "try some guns at the range" pile. The bottom line is that all these guns have what you're looking for (more or less), and the deciding factor will be personal preference. I was too lazy to try all the guns first and I ended up buying an XD40 based on price and Springfield's warranty. My only complaint was the squishy trigger, which was fixed with a Powder River Precision trigger kit. The XDM comes with a much better stock trigger, and higher capacity so I suggest the XDM series if you check out the Springfields.