Listen, it's never too early for a first gun. Just DON'T buy him BBs and use it to teach him gun safty. Make it fun and give him a written test and hands on test. No shooting untill he is more than proficient in firearm saftey. My son, after his saftey course, was reminding me to put my saftey on after shooting. It's fun and rewarding. Best of luck! :super:

Well my nephew is 5 years old now, and santa got him a Red Rider BB GUN. What do you guys think? To early, I don't think so.

Now is the time to teach self control & responsibility.

The red rider is one of the weakest Next to the Marksman repeater (single shot per pull 1911 look alike)

If you said you got a 5 year old the 10 pump pump-master that Sgt. McNewRiver just whacked mickey with, that would be a bad idea. Those things are powerful with pellets, trust me, I know :devil: but the red rider should be okay.

But most important is a target (cans are best & free), backstop & that he uses them and understands the SEVERE ass whooping that will immediately ensue if he doesn't. At least that was a deterrent for me.

TEACH them & ENFORCE the basic principles of gun safety while young.

Listen, it's never too early for a first gun. Just DON'T buy him BBs and use it to teach him gun safty. Make it fun and give him a written test and hands on test. No shooting untill he is more than proficient in firearm saftey. My son, after his saftey course, was reminding me to put my saftey on after shooting. It's fun and rewarding. Best of luck! :super:

That's what I did with my boy. Let him handle it and get to know it and what safety means, no problem.

Excellent Waite. Great ideas here.

I am reminded of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT1PPZ5vyuU

This is probably too young to hand a kid a loaded 40 cal. Oops!

I waited until my kids were 15 to get them into firearms and that was WAY TOO LATE. I bought my daughters a 22 for Christmas last year. What a joke. I took an AR-15 and my kids took their .22. My daughters shot 10 - 20 rounds through the .22 and said, "That's pretty fun, but we'd like to try the AR."

Once they tried the AR, they never wanted to pick up the .22 again. It was a complete waste of money. They didn't put 50 rounds through that thing. The same thing happened with the 9 mm pistol. I wanted to get them something that wouldn't own them. Shiiiiiit. They squeezed off a few rounds of the 9, liked it ok, and then wanted to try the 45. The instant they fired the 45, they never wanted to pick up the 9 again.

Now, my youngest daughter (now 16) has fallen in love with the .308 and has been asking about the 50 BMG (which I don't own). No shit! I think I'll wait and let her buy the BMG, the scope and the ammo.

Next year she'll be asking about artillery pieces, I'm sure.

So, I don't know what "too young" is, but 15 is way too old.

I introduced my kids to air rifles when they were about seven years old, and the lessons on safety and responsibility have carried over to real firearms to this day, and my sons are both in their twenties now.

Well my nephew is 5 years old now, and santa got him a Red Rider BB GUN. What do you guys think? To early, I don't think sow.

I tell ya one thing, back when I was a kid with a bb gun, my glasses saved my eyes more than once from ricocheting steel.....did they ever make those things safer, so that if you pull the trigger with the lever open and it cocked, it DONT slam shut on your hand?

I was 4 when I got my first BB gun. The Winchester lookalike almost 40yrs ago. Dad set me up a range in the basement and said "Go to it." Mind you, this was the guy that shot 2 P/U trucks w/one shot some 30yrs later. :rolleyes:

Ya, so I learned most my safety either the hard way or in the military. However I started my daughter at 4, with similar range training to what I got in the Mil. By 6, she was shooting everything I owned and most of her Grandpas guns save the Shotys. Her kids are now 2.5 and 1.5yrs and they'll be getting the same at 4 and maybe some airsoft stuff b4 that.

It's NEVER too young to start. I have a old friend, his dad says he used to sleep with an empty(no mag/bullets) .45 in his crib. His dad let him hold it once after cleaning and he wouldn't give it up. Last I knew, he(the son) was a range instructor for the local Sheriffs dept.

Treat it as HIS gun and just like you would any other gun. Keep it locked with the big guns and when you/dad/mom go shooting, make sure he gets his range time too. And then clean it after, just like the "Big Boys", lol.

And always make it fun!

Absolutely not too soon. Get a load of this little dude:

Liberals hate this shit.

Merry Christmas to all!

:xmas:

Yakdung

Sign him up! WOW. Very impressive.

In six months he'll be counting rounds and swapping mags as he changes shooter positions.

I really like his grip, too.

Kudos to both him and his dad.

Have you seen the videos of Makenzie?

I don't know what kind of gun that is, but it looks like chambering the first round is giving her some trouble.

Edited by Bounce12

Liberals hate this shit.

Merry Christmas to all!

Yakdung

Sign him up! WOW. Very impressive.

Wow speachless. She needs to go work for the Feds now. That little lady shoots better than most rookie cops I know.

Yakdung

In six months he'll be counting rounds and swapping mags as he changes shooter positions.

I really like his grip, too.

Kudos to both him and his dad.

Have you seen the videos of Makenzie?

I don't know what kind of gun that is, but it looks like chambering the first round is giving her some trouble.

Wow speachless. She needs to go work for the Feds now. That little lady shoots better than most rookie cops I know.

Yakdung

I was thinking she would be the designated shooter of the Sarah Conner civilian commando squad.

Kids brought up like this will never have a self-esteem problem or let themselves get wrapped up with a man who beats them.

This should be PE in the schools. Mandatory.

Edited by Bounce12

Liberals hate this shit.

Merry Christmas to all!

Yakdung

A six year-old shooting IPSC? That kid is my new hero.

I betcha we're looking at the "Tiger Woods" of shooting sports right there. Hopefully he stays out of trouble.

Anybody know why his piece didn't go to slide lock on his empties?

Edited by Kevin in Texas

Bounce12- "This should be PE in the schools. Mandatory."

+1, Was at one time in some ares. Then it was reduced to Archery and now they can't even play lawn darts. Dumbing down America, one generation at a time.

TAC 47- "I bought my boy a RR and he is only 15 months old..."

My Granddaughter was about that age when I got her her first Airsoft rifle, a 1/3 size PSL. :angel:

Well i found out this weekend my nephew is to young for a BB gun. We were talking about what santa my bring him this xmas,and a BB gun is not on the list. I asked why, he said my dad said I was to young!

I say bullshit! His mom and dad are divorced.The dad is an ass, he only see's his son 2-3 times a month by choice! Both parents live here in vegas,and only a few miles apart.I have asked his mom if it was ok, and got thumbs up.

Btw guess who took the boy fishing for the first time,yep me. I guess I will teach him how to shoot,and hunt aswell.

• Like 2

I bought my boy a RR and he is only 15 months old...

Thank you..Your post is what helped me get the thumbs up from the wife to not only pick up my son's first BB gun this weekend, but also one of those little Chipmunk .22's for him as he gets older. Problem now is that he still has to be born..LOL Still have 3 months to go.

Edited by GeorgiaPD
  • Like 1

I bought my boy a RR and he is only 15 months old...

Thank you..Your post is what helped me get the thumbs up from the wife to not only pick up my son's first BB gun this weekend, but also one of those little Chipmunk .22's for him as he gets older. Problem now is that he still has to be born..LOL Still have 3 months to go.

GeorigaPD, Have you seen these?:

http://www.crickett.com/

Yakdung

• Like 1

GeorigaPD, Have you seen these?:

http://www.crickett.com/

Yakdung

Yakdung, you got me on that one. The rifle that I picked up was a Crickett, not a Chipmunk. Either way, they both make fun moving targets as he gets older :lolol:

Not to worry. I actually missed your Chipmunk reference. I only thought of the Cricket because I saw one at the Oklahoma gun show

and thought they were neat. They are doing something with an auto safety on I believe.

Good luck,

Yakdung

Yakdung

Well i found out this weekend my nephew is to young for a BB gun. We were talking about what santa my bring him this xmas,and a BB gun is not on the list. I asked why, he said my dad said I was to young!

I say bullshit! His mom and dad are divorced.The dad is an ass, he only see's his son 2-3 times a month by choice! Both parents live here in vegas,and only a few miles apart.I have asked his mom if it was ok, and got thumbs up.

Btw guess who took the boy fishing for the first time,yep me. I guess I will teach him how to shoot,and hunt aswell.

Huge +1, bro. Glad to see the boy will have a REAL father figure in his life. Lots of kids don't, especialy here. I recently took my son to catch his first fish at the same place my dad and I caught our first one. Those memories will last forever. :up: