I want this cut off and weilded here........

OK call me crazy but I want my charging handle moved from the right side of my S17 to the left side of my gun. I want to keep my trigger hand on the grip and reload and charge the gun with my left hand. Here are my photos...

OK first photo shows where I want the handle cut off smooth on the bolt in red...

DSCF2639.jpg

Next shots where I want the handle moved to on the other side of the bolt in red...

DSCF2638.jpg

Here is a photo of the bolt in my Tromix S17 go give you an idea of where the charging handle will be....

DSCF2640.jpg

Last of all is a photo of the gun with the top cover and colored in blue the part of the top cover that needs to be removed...

DSCF2642.jpg

Yes I do know this is a Lighting conversion...no I dont know who here on the board can do this . Any help would be great.

Thanks, Slug-O

Still haven't got the welder setup yet, and he didn't get this idea til afterwards....lol. Got a nice new tig rig here, just need to get some 220 wired up down there.

That probably is about right for what needs removed from the dustcover. If you notice in the pic, it's not snapped down all the way.

• Like 1

I thought the Galil style charging handle was designed so you could keep your hand on the pistol grip . .

I just got in from work..... I dont like reaching over the gun to charge the handle. Its more natural to me for it being on the left side of the gun....

I am not a fan of left side charging handles, but if one could be made that was non reciprocating, I could see where it would be useful. Keep the factory one for bolt control, jam clearance - but add the ability charge a round with the mag change hand.

If you tilt your gun to the side the ch is easy to get at with the left hand. :super:

My trijicon sight is so close to the charging handle that it gets in the way...

I would move it. :super:

I think the (L) shaped ch on the left side would be weird and hard to grab, if you must I would go for a straight one.

I have been thinking about adding the (L) shaped ch on mine, but I really have no issues using my left hand on the thing with the standard one.

:smoke:

If you dont want to do it yourself/want a reliable, professional company to "handle" it:

CGW offers left side bolt carrier handle conversions, if youre looking for a reputable service provider. I spoke to Tom there and he told me he uses Remington 1100 handles which he welds to the left side of the carrier. He also cuts the top cover for clearance. The gap between the receiver and top cover, if you are worried about dirt/dust fouling the FCG, is considerably smaller than the gap created by the R&R Racing left side handle conversion. However, the R&R handle is not welded to the carrier, it is drilled, tapped and screwed in, which significantly reduces the likelihood of any excess metal from the weld obstructing the carrier's movement. I would only worry about excess if an inexperienced welder was doing the work, and Im sure Tom at CGW could weld your Galil handle, not an 1100's to the carrier if you wished. I believe he told me the price was somewhere around $200, but email/call and ask because memory may not serve me correctly. Also, as you stated, another great provider of left side handles is Colorado Shooting Sports, although their Lightning Bolts are also like $250 or something, and it doesnt sound like you want to shell out that much. Comparatively, I think the R&Rs are $125. And sure, PM Gunfixr, I know he did/is working on an FAL-style left side charging handle conversion to an S12.

Good luck man. Its a good looking gun.

I am not a fan of left side charging handles, but if one could be made that was non reciprocating, I could see where it would be useful. Keep the factory one for bolt control, jam clearance - but add the ability charge a round with the mag change hand.

Upgrade yourself to Southpaw--problem solved. :haha:

Looks like a great way to break your thumb. "Ratchet" my ass....that handle comes flying backwards at warp speed with every shot fired.

That's what I was thinking too. Having your lead hand get whacked by that would really suck.

Granted, I'm a lefty....so I don't need such things. What I lack in AK safety manipulation, I make up for with ease of reaching the charging handle. Depending on your weapon transition though, the charging handle might jab you in the back or side if it's out the the wrong side of the weapon.

Corbin

Edited by Corbin