How Do You Drive The Rear Sight Out of The Dovetail Slot?

Push down, and pull out? I've seen a video somewhere, and it seemed simple enough.

Not an AK type rear leaf. I'm talking about the stock Saiga 12 rear notch sight that's slid in sideways in a dovetail slot like this one.

sight.jpg

I've wacked it with a steel punch after oiling and tried heating up as well.

Edited by one2za

Push down, and pull out? I've seen a video somewhere, and it seemed simple enough.

Not an AK type rear leaf. I'm talking about the stock Saiga 12 rear notch sight that's slid in sideways in a dovetail slot.

I've wacked it with a steel punch after oiling and tried heating up as well.

I've heard people say that you have to hit that bitch harder than you'd ever think you should hit a gun. I'd think there is some tool (with a threaded crank) that you can use to drift that thing out.

I don't have a vice. I've been sitting the trunnion on a piece of oak as close to the sight as possible. I'd hate to mess up the trunnion. If I try again and fail, I might cut it out. I want to try a Marbles Bullseye Sight

bullseye.jpg

i beat on it for half an hour before saying fuck it and dremeled it out,

just save yourself the hassel and cut the fucker

^ That sight looks interesting. Once you get it installed, you'll have to give us a range report. :)

If you don't have a vice, you might want to use the cutting method. On a side note, you need to get a vice! :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic

If you plan on keeping the weapon and the sight that you want, like others said, cut it out.

I bought a Wilton 360 rotating jaw vise from Lowes and it has proven to make everything easier. I have seen them at Home Depot as well. They are about $60 and worth every penny. You might want to get some Wilton rubber pads for it while you are at it. All of my rifles have ended up in this vise at one time or another. Spring for one and mount it to an old desk that has some weight to it. You will achieve happiness....

And yes PA, that sight does look interesting....

One,

Please, do tell....

I also used a 5 lb. hammer. However, I soaked it with some PB Blaster for about 15-20. Then I took the hammer and a large punch and smacked the sh*t out of it. After the first bit of movement, it was pretty easy after that.

you have to wrap the end of the reciever in leather and chuck it up in a vice, then use a brass punc and hammer......if you try to punch and hammer without the vice it just wont work right, but be careful not to tighten it up too much....but it cant give......

I've had good luck with a hammer and brass punch. If it doesn't start moving with a couple whacks one way I try the other side.

I haven't even needed a vice.

That said. With current Russian engineering, it varies. I like the band saw method if all else fails. Cut 3/4 through and then punch it out.

Put it in a vice with wood to buffer the gun from the jaws of the vice.

Pound on the stock sight with a brass punch, and a 22oz estwing harder than you think a gun should be hit(I recomend driving it toward the side with the charging handle)

Works for me everytime :up:

I tried both a steel and a brass punch with a standard hammer. NO GO! I couldn't bring myself to use the 3lb hammer so, I drove her to a smith. The next day he laughed and said it took him nearly a 1/2 hour to free it.

I then took a triangle file to the sight so that it would adjust easier.

Beat it like the bitch burned the borscht!

Use a big brass bar and a 3# hammer,if you have a pig of plumbers lead to lay the gun on it helps otherwise a phone book will do. A small hammer will batter the crap out of the work, a big hammer has the mass necessary to overcome friction and the grip of the factory interference fit, the peen, and the gloppy paint that are all holding things together!

A bit unnerving is an understatement.

And no, don't ruin your Gucci or Gabanna purse on the Saiga rear sight. Respect the purse bro. It probably cost more than the initial Saiga price, all the mods, and your truck combined!

Boys like the toys that make 'em noise! Even if they just oooo and mmmm a little (hee hee).

WHOO HOO!

I finally got the motherfather off, with no damage to the S12 (or myself for that matter)!

100_0100.jpg

Who's the girly man now, huh?

dancinguy.gif

I put the new one on, (had some filing to do), and sighted it in at home with a Ncstar 12 ga. bore sighter, (which I will no doubt sell soon).

Not sure when I'll get to the range, probably next Friday or Saturday. Thanks again for the moral support. :super:

Edited by one2za