Bullet Guide and J.B. Weld!!

O.K. so I have done a little research and this is what I have come up with. I have ordered my bullet guide from Dinzag arms. I like to get my stuff from Carolina Shooter's Supply but they did not have the flat guide for the 7.62x39. I also have looked into a product I am sure some of you have heard of called J.B. Weld, I bought mine at a local Home Depot and paid like 5 bucks for it. Now I have tested it by "welding" two screws together with it. I could not break them apart after letting it sit overnight until I cut them apart using my Dremel. SO I have decided when I get my bullet guide in from Dinzag Arms I am going to install it using nothing but J.B. Weld then I am going to let it sit for 24 hours then I am going to take it to the range and torture it and see how well it goes. Please respond to my post if anyone is interested in seeing a video of it being installed and also the video of me testing it at the range and video of the internals before and after. If no one replies or shows interest then I will not waste time recording any of it. I should be receiving my guide sometime next week and I will go from there.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey guys check out this sweet new tactical home defense shotgun. It has the all new, top of the line, military grade D.U.C.T. mounting system which attaches everything from bayonets, to flashlights, t

how long has your BG been JB'd on, Semper?   Im thinking about JB'ing my BG on too... all the numbers i have seen regarding its performance seem to put it well within the operational tolerances for

Posted Images

Dinzags BG comes with a drill bit and tap to install, its really not hard at all, use some oil or cutting fluid and go slow, and you will have no problems.

JB Weld is great stuff and has its place, but (IMHO) holding together parts of the weapons action is not an appropriate use. The compound can and WILL break loose, and you DON'T want this to happen while you are cycling live ammo.

Safety first.

Yeah one more vote against JB weld. It's good stuff but I wouldn't want to hold my bullet guide on with it. Especially since to drill and tap only takes a couple mins and is very easy to do.

It's not a total loss of $5 though. There's a million other good uses for JB Weld. Just the other day, I used JB Weld to make sure I'd never lose my TV remote again. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

JB Weld is one of those things that sounds like a good idea in this application, but down the road when you gain confidence and experience, you look back on and say DOH! Why did I do that. Most people are a little intimidated by drilling and tapping a gun, but all it really takes is a little patience. If you go slow and keep your heart rate under 75 you will have no problems. If you find your heart rate going up and you break a sweat, STOP. Calm down and then go fiddle with it some more.

Well every one else has pretty much pointed out that JB weld isnt a good idea. But Ill add my 2 cents

Big no no. JB weld is sturdy and strong.....for SOME things, I would highly recommend you not use it for this purpose. I doubt it would hold under much abuse.

It's not a total loss of $5 though. There's a million other good uses for JB Weld. Just the other day, I used JB Weld to make sure I'd never lose my TV remote again. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

If you read their packaging, there's even a testimonial on how it patched a cracked engine block. (And the engine had 10% more horsepower and 15% better gas mileage after the repair.) And to put the icing on the cake, it's made right here in the Lone Star State. You know, Texans never lie.

O.K. so I have done a little research and this is what I have come up with. I have ordered my bullet guide from Dinzag arms. I like to get my stuff from Carolina Shooter's Supply but they did not have the flat guide for the 7.62x39. I also have looked into a product I am sure some of you have heard of called J.B. Weld, I bought mine at a local Home Depot and paid like 5 bucks for it. Now I have tested it by "welding" two screws together with it. I could not break them apart after letting it sit overnight until I cut them apart using my Dremel. SO I have decided when I get my bullet guide in from Dinzag Arms I am going to install it using nothing but J.B. Weld then I am going to let it sit for 24 hours then I am going to take it to the range and torture it and see how well it goes. Please respond to my post if anyone is interested in seeing a video of it being installed and also the video of me testing it at the range and video of the internals before and after. If no one replies or shows interest then I will not waste time recording any of it. I should be receiving my guide sometime next week and I will go from there.

dude,what are you thinking?i just did mine today!drilling and tapping are the easy part:just when tapping take your time,use oil,when the tap get`s tight,run it out then back in easy again.the hardest part is filing the magazine release while in place.it was easy when i dry fitted it after installing my quick release on the mag,but that damn spring is a bitch!i bought a mini file set from harbor freight to file things down to the new ak mags!

If you read their packaging, there's even a testimonial on how it patched a cracked engine block. (And the engine had 10% more horsepower and 15% better gas mileage after the repair.) And to put the icing on the cake, it's made right here in the Lone Star State. You know, Texans never lie.

That's nothing! Using JB weld and a dremel, I filled two cavities in my teeth! Ok, maybe not :lolol:

hey guy,these are some pics of the bullet guide i installed today!i ordered the kit from south carolina shooter`s supply.all went straight forward.just a little work and a few beers!

post-24030-12705253117308_thumb.jpg

post-24030-12705253601068_thumb.jpg

by the way i now have two promag saiga style mags,along with the factory 10 round.i also bought a surefire dual mag coupler,but didn`t realize they are mag specific.what do i do with this stuff now?anyone have something that they may want to trade?all is new never shot or cycled.i would love a sling!thanks!

Well this is why I used this forum for feedback before going forward with anything. I want everyone to know that based on the minimal feedback I received based on my topic (laughing as I am typing) I will move forward with the tapping of the receiver. Thank you everyone for all of the input.

Well this is why I used this forum for feedback before going forward with anything. I want everyone to know that based on the minimal feedback I received based on my topic (laughing as I am typing) I will move forward with the tapping of the receiver. Thank you everyone for all of the input.

If you use a hand drill, glue a steel nut just wide enough to guide the drill bit to keep it from slipping, and carefully turn the tap slowly in 1/8 turns then in reverse with plenty

of gun oil in the hole to keep from over torqueing the tap and breaking it.

What like no one has ever seen a screw come loose?

I knew this argument was coming again damit.

Took her out again Sunday now have about 2500 rounds over that JB welded bullet guide. The only thing Im noticing is the metal wears a bit faster than the JB. Now yes I did it correctly and took my time but if a little screw threaded though a thin piece of stamped receiver works so will JB.

Hell tick everyone off and put JB on the screw threads and then weld the sucker on there. There is so little stress on this part I cant believe its even an issue. Do yourself a favor no matter what you do and slightly polish that edge the rounds contact, it doesn't need to be sharp and has been the ONLY problem Ive heard of after getting the guide installed.

PS: One unexpected benefit to the JB I wasn't planning on. If you are using Corrosive mil-surp ammo the JB seals the bottom of the guide much better than metal to metal preventing any salts from getting under the guide and yes those are very small particles. Just a small little detail.

Edited by Rhodes1968

The bullet guide slides under the barrel preventing it from lifting out. It also slides up next to the barrel, preventing movement towards the chamber (in the same direction as the bullet). The only thing the screw does is prevent the thing from moving REARWARD. Now, what forces are acting on the bullet guide in the rearward position? Recoil. That's it. Recoil.

JB Weld + 2,000 rounds of 5.45x39. No issues. Not saying it's the right way, but I'm saying, it's MY right way.

Well after the two posts confirming JB weld works I am sorry to say everyone but I have to go for it now, so I will post some pics of how I do it and then post some vids of how the first range test goes. I am going to stick with my gut instinct on this one. Maybe I will start a new thread just for JB's that have worked who knows...lol

JB Weld the BG in place, use it for a drill guide, drill & tap the trunnion, and then use the screw too. Belt and suspenders. Why bother using a nut for a drill guide if the BG can serve the same purpose?

If it ever starts to loosen, just tighten the screw.