New Tromix gas bypass regulator (pic)

Actually the design is not new at all. Bob Ash and I designed this gizmo several years ago over a few beers, but I never built any until a couple of weeks ago. I don't have a dog and pony show for you, nor a bunch of hype, but here is how it works.

Rather than regulating the amount of gas flow INTO the gas block, it allows 100% of the gas to come up through the ports in the barrel and pressurize the gas chamber. Then depending on what position you set the 8 position selector on, it bypasses, or vents out, varying amounts of gas. If you close it off completely, the piston just gets 100% of the gas similar to having the OEM plug on setting #2.

The spindle screws into the gas block like a normal gas plug and only has one fixed position. The spindle never moves after initial installation. The hub rotates around the spindle and has 7 different sized holes in it to regulate the amount of gas that is bypassed. The eighth position has no hole, so you get it all, with no bypass. There is a spring loaded ball detent for nice smooth audible "clicks" as you rotate it from position to position.

The hub can be swapped out (using the same spindle) to give you 4, 8, 16, or whatever number of settings you want and with whatever size bypass holes you want. Of course everyone will want me to compare it to the other gas regulators on the market......I won't do that. I will leave it up to you guys. My products have always spoken for themselves.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

P.S. No, I won't post pics of the proprietary internals. Someone might "copy" it. :lolol:

P6040019.jpg

• Like 6

Interesting. I knew you had done one, and more or less shelved it. I also knew someone else had done one similar to mine, before mine, but with more positions, and shelved it. If either of you had marketed yours, I probably would've never marketed mine. I actually only made me one for myself, and everybody wanted one, so I marketed them.

I believe my other one is simpler, I need to finish it.

Nate, I recall our e-mails at the time. I personally didn't think there was much of market/need and had other things on my plate at the time so it got shelved like many of my other designs. Recently, I was in the midst of moving my shop and stumbled upon an old wadded up yellow pad that had Bob and I's design on it. I dusted it off and made up a few....and fuck, the thing actually works. I need to test it some more before we run them. There is a huge difference in gas regulating a 19" gun and regulating an eight incher. This thing was designed specifically to soften up the gas slap coming off 3" shells in an 8" Tromix S-17.

Whether or not it will help an under-gassed gun, I don't know. That wasn't part of the design criteria at the time and I haven't tested it in that arena.

Tony

• Like 1

I like the fact you thread it in and leave it there. I to have played around with some self-regulating designs but with so many others project going this is the last thing I need, but I like the direction your takng this. :super:

I don't know if it's like a FAL, but most automatic weapon gas regulators use a bypass design, not direct flow control. The only adjustable direct gas flow control system that I am familiar with is the Russian RPD. It is very simaliar to the Saiga. Just about every other military gun uses a gas bypass design.

That is why I never really considered making a modified direct flow control design for the Saiga. It's kind of yestertech.

Tony

• Like 1

It's kind of yestertech.

Tony

Which is kind of ironic because so is the design of the gun... :lolol::lolol: Very nice looking Tony and your attention to detail on this piece is beautiful. I'm almost scared to know how many drunken napkin concepts have ended up in the trash can with you guys. All of the manufacturers here on this forum never cease to amaze me :super:

Edited by GeorgiaPD

For the benefit of those who may not have access to an FAL:

Setting the Gas Regulator is a pretty simple simple procedure (much simpler than taking the trouble to read about it) and is done using an empty magazine from an open bolt.

Turn the regulator sleeve until it is in the fully forward position - against the gas block. This position will cover the gas escape hole and will result in a maximum push against the piston and bolt. If the rifle is always fired in this condition, it tends to be hard on the action parts with most types of ammo unless you utilize a recoil buffer to absorb excess bolt energy.

From the above position (position 7) open the regulator sleeve one full turn to position 1. This normally results in a "short recoil" condition, where the empty case will either not eject, or the bolt will fail to pick up the next round from the magazine.

Adjusting the regulator sleeve back towards position 7, a notch at a time after firing single loaded rounds, will soon result in an adjustment where the bolt will latch in the open position. Fire several more individual rounds (single-loaded) to verify that none exhibits the "short recoil" condition.

This indicates the correct setting for your rifle and ammunition, but FN suggests going forward by two additional clicks to establish a margin for safety and reliability.

A special spanner wrench is available for turning the regulator sleeve, but you can also use the bullet nose of a military cartridge for making these adjustments. I use my fingers for this (if the rifle is reasonably clean) but be aware that the regulator sleeve can become quite hot with continued firing and adjustments.

post-8859-090515900 1275717030_thumb.jpg

post-8859-031391200 1275717164_thumb.jpg

Seems like a good idea to me. I ran across a thread on the AK Files dealing with regulating pressure on a PSL-54 and one of the members stated they had a Schuester adjustable gas plug on his Garand that works on a bleed off design that works well. Other than possibly occasional blocking of the ports, I don't see a down side. +1

That really is both slick and simple :super:

Edited by 6500rpm
  • 2 weeks later...