Being a military history buff, I tend to be attracted to older weapons with historical significance. This got me curious as to what ancient gems other gun aficionados may have hidden in their arsenals. So, I figured it might be interesting to pose the following question:

What is the oldest firearm you own? This refers to the exact weapon in your possession, not the model.

To kick this off, the oldest weapon I own is a Nepalese Martini-Henry. This was a single shot, lever action, falling block rifle originally designed and used by the British in the late 19th century. My particular Martini-Henry was actually made in Nepal sometime in the 1890s. Sadly, all the markings on the weapon are in Nepalese, so I don't know exactly what year. I could do a serial number trace if the serial numbers weren't also in Nepalese. The weapon is functional and I have fired it several times, though I need to have it looked at, since the firing pin actually pierced the primer all four shots.

Model 1842 (made in 1848) smooth-bore, .50-caliber, cap-percussion musket made by Springfield Armory that was (according to family legend) carried by my great-great-great uncle Frank Sperry in one of the PA regiments during the Civil War. Seems to be in operating condition, but the entire gun is coated in creosote from hanging over the family fireplace for 150 years. Now that it's come to me I'd like to have it professionally cleaned and officially documented. We've got a few of Frank's service documents and an old photo of him with a gun that looks like this musket, but I'd love to know for sure. The socket bayonet that goes with the gun is rumored to be somewhere in my grandmother's attic.

Regardless of whether or not he actually fought with this gun in the Civil War, it's been in our family a very long time. I hope my son values it as much as I do.

Regards,

Sapper

Here's a pic of the same model but in infinitely better condition. I guess the creosote makes mine a tactical version.

00d39cba25d294b4c3d21cc6dd075db5.jpg

be80d4fca8ca07948ad749b69cb51a5e.jpg

Got a few oldies... My post-war bolo Mauser C96, Alkartasuna Ruby (Spanish WWI .32 auto, action copied from the Colt 1903), lots of WWII rifles and pistols, from Germany, Russia and the US, a few K31s. My oldest rifle is a Vetterli 1869/71, if I remember the model designation correctly. Pretty beaten up exterior, ridiculously clean bore. The Swiss know how to take care of their boomsticks.

I'm not much of a collector so usually only have what I'm shooting at matches, have always been in search of the John Wayne gun that shoots fast never misses or runs out of bullets.

This is my SKB XL300 20 ga., nothing very old think I got it in 1974 or 5 new, about the only gun I've ever kept long term. made changes over the years to the stock and had some work to the newer barrel (screw in chokes) like lengthening the forcing cone and magna ported. Got a Remington 1100 Special Field 20 ga. in the 90s to replace it but kept both. I shoot it well and at this point I've used it for about everything a shotgun can be used for, added a Benelli tube extension for 9 round capacity for 3 gun ugly but it works.

Had an older Colt Cobra but sent it to my sister a little while back so now I've got to find a revolver.

post-20842-034097600 1285442230_thumb.jpg

Edited by going12220

Brown Bess musket (circa 1722-1838) , converted from flintlock to percussion after Revolutionary War, then carried as a percussion shotgun in the War Of Northern Aggression. Belonged to in a local family since the Revolution. He had ancestors that used it in both wars. Not in firing condition anymore...at least I wouldn't try it. Makes a cool wall hanger over the fireplace though. Hangs up there with an old 1898 .22 youth model from Atlas Gun Co., in Illion NY, later became a Remington factory.

post-1293-039817200 1285448588_thumb.jpg post-1293-075563700 1285448563_thumb.jpg

I do have one musket I fire, but it's a replica model. Springfield 1861. Used to belong to a guy was really into reenactments...he would camp out on site, using all period equipment, for a week before each big battle he took part in. It made him really look and feel the part living just as they did on hard tack and all. It's a fun gun to shoot. Here it is with another old .22 LR called a "Crackshot-26", made in 1913 by J Stevens Arms & Tool Co. This little guy belonged to Racegal's Grandfather.

post-1293-084584000 1285448661_thumb.jpg post-1293-067905900 1285448679_thumb.jpg

Then I've got this other old broken musket that I'm not sure what it is, but it's seen pure hell. Looks like sometime after the barrel was cut back, it must have failed someone or they ran out of ammo so maybe they used it as a club. :eek: It's been completely broken in two and repaired, or attempted repair...I may try to do at least a partial restoration with it one day if I can find a lock & plate, and maybe a surplus stock. If this gun could talk....

post-1293-019105600 1285448436_thumb.jpg post-1293-009584100 1285448465_thumb.jpg

post-1293-027643100 1285448510_thumb.jpg post-1293-051380900 1285448533_thumb.jpg

Got some nice old bolt guns that are in great shape....an Italian Carcano (6.5x52mm) that belonged to our good friend and fellow forum member David (Aethelbert). He would have had a birthday two days ago in fact, may he R.I.P. It's not the same model that was used to assassinate Kennedy, but close...

The others are a Swedish Mauser (6.5x55), Brittish Enfield .303, and a sweet little Russian Mosin Nagant (7.62x54)...all great shooters.

Great topic, I love historic firearms. Here's a link to an earlier thread too Roan....some good stuff there as well. http://forum.saiga-1...34&hl=Bess&st=0

• Like 3

Got some nice old bolt guns that are in great shape....an Italian Carcano (6.5x52mm) that belonged to our good friend and fellow forum member David (Aethelbert). He would have had a birthday two days ago in fact, may he R.I.P. It's not the same model that was used to assassinate Kennedy, but close...

The others are a Swedish Mauser (6.5x55), Brittish Enfield .303, and a sweet little Russian Mosin Nagant (7.62x54)...all great shooters.

I've also got two Mosin-Nagants (91/30 and M44), a Nagant Revolver (weird little pistol), an Enfield Revolver (something about that revolver says 'I'm here to oppress you') and a beat up old Enfield that I need to get some parts for to restore. I also have a unique little Carcano chambered in 5.5 Carcano (not a typo). I'll never find ammo for it, but it's a nice piece to have. It's in functional condition and the bore looks like the day it came out of the factory (because no one can find ammo for it I bet).

Mine aren't all that old...or older then me. I have two WWII Canadian built Browning High Powers built by John Inglis Company in 1944 or 1945. Both are guns from the second chinese contract...made for the Chinese who were fighting the Japanese. In addition to the tangent sights and slotted backstrap for a wooden shoulder stock one even has two Chinese markings that translated mean "Public or Official Gun".

inglis2044.jpg

inglischinesecharacters2.jpg

Edited by TO THE FLOOR

Winchester Garand sn#138xxxx is the oldest item in my inventory. August 1943.

post-2898-012308300 1285542886_thumb.jpg

post-2898-066928800 1285542933_thumb.jpg

Built by myself from a parts set on this receiver and wood refinishing by my wife.

It may not be original but it shoots so very nice at 100yds with my tired old eyes.

nyclu3

Edited by nyclu3

@MT Predator: It looks like that Martini has a safety lever on it; is it a Greener-made rifle? Duh, I forgot the Martini has a cocked-state indicator on it, that's what that is. Anyway, that is a pretty sweet piece of hardware. One of these days I want a Greener Egyptian Police Mk.III shotgun with the 14.5 gauge bottlenecked brass shells.

Edited by Caspian Sea Monster