Slug gun sights-which one to use?

I have the Krebs sights on mine and I like the sight picture it has. I like the HK style sights a lot too though. I almost purchased a set of HK sights instead of the Krebs. The only reason that pushed me towards the Krebs is that I could install them myself. My next Saiga 12 would have the HK sights and appropriate mod's done on the cover.

With a slug gun I'd try to make your sight radius as long as possible to aid in accuracy. That would tend to lead towards HK sights, but if you don't weld your self it could be a pricey, but permanent solution. This set up will give you the longest sight radius of anything unless you welded a rear HK sight and used the krebs bolt on front sight. You don't have to worry about batteries dying, sights wiggling loose, etc.

My next solution would be Krebs which gives you a ghost ring (quicker target acquisition) rear sight (uses standard rear sight position) and the front sight is a bolt on so you can put that as far forward on the barrel as you'd like. I looked into this but had a hard time finding a pair in stock. You'd pay $100 and not have to permanently alter the gun, and not have to pay someone to weld then to your gun.

You could also go with the chaos extended rails with HK sights tapped into the rail system. Chaos makes a nice and solid rail system and the HK sights are low profile. This will give you the option of keeping the standard sight system and not permanently alter the gun. If you're going to purchase a rail system anyways then this would probably be your best value, especially with his sale he has now.

Or you could also go with a red dot. Depending on your stock options you are going to want something real low profile. With my experience I couldn't use an aimpoint or eotech because the sight picture sits too high and requires me to take my cheek off the stock to get a good sight picture. If you can put a cheek riser on your stock then that point is moot but stating options for you. So that leaves a few options. Burris Fast Fire II, Optima, and Dr. Optic. Of these battery ran optics I went with the Fast Fire because it is rated for shotguns (also cheaper than the other two), the J Point has a plastic body IIRC, and the Dr. Optic cost $8293816184.99. The fast fire held up for over 1,000 rounds and kept going strong. Then you could venture into reflex sights. Trijicon makes a few but I had a one (RMR?) and I didn't like it and had a hard time capturing it in low light. This is an option if you want an optic but don't want to depend on batteries.

I ultimately went with HK sights to provide a permanent and better solution over the stock sights and I also did not want to depend on batteries. So I sold the Fast Fire (which was in perfect working condition and worked with whatever I through at it) and got some HK sights welded to my gun.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

I use a C-More STS with an R&R mount,,,mounted into the factory rear sight's dovetail. I have used this setup for about 1300 rounds and like it a lot,,,no plans on even trying anything else.

Edited by PYRO

I went with the Rakurz for slugs and am quite happy with it. Not so bad for clays either. Always on black chevron and tritium illuminated at night so no batteries to depend on.

RakurzLeft.JPG

Rakurz_Reticule.JPG

Excellent points from ErikTaylor too :smoke:

Z

I have a NcStar 2-7x28 scope for mine(for those 100+yrd shots while hunting, etc) but for round the house I have a set of cheap pistol style, rail mounted sights(had to as I Bullpupped the gun) that work spot on under 50yrds. And for longer, they flip up to an AR style peep sight.

Their airsoft sights but I've had no problem with them. Making a new BP stock now wich will give me a longer(18" vs 12") sight base. If I could find better quality but similar sights, I'd get them, but I've yet to find any better dual purpose sights at a reasonalbe price(under $50).

Bare bones is good, but so is haveing options.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

How about stick to rifles for long range shooting? :)

I agree, I think that the 12 gauge is a horrible choice for shooting past 50 yards BUT, it IS possible to hit consistantly at over 100 yards. It's also great to know your limitations so I see no problem with what the OP is asking...

How about stick to rifles for long range shooting? smile.png

I agree, I think that the 12 gauge is a horrible choice for shooting past 50 yards BUT, it IS possible to hit consistantly at over 100 yards. It's also great to know your limitations so I see no problem with what the OP is asking...

I'm sure WJ has it figured out by now, (I don't think he's been active on the forum at all for quite some time). This thread is ~1 1/2 yrs old. ;)

• Like 1

Here is my vote:

Matte 1.5–5x 32 SG 67 / 20 22.3 / 6.7 3.75 95 18 / 6.4 9.3 264 0.5 14 100 2.8

ProDiamond

http://www.simmonsoptics.com/riflescopes/prohunter.cfm

Put it on a low belarus or Izzy mount, and get flip caps. The diamond reticle is set up to correspond to the width of the vital zone so you slide the lower V to line up and drop is counted for with most slugs when you dial it in for 75 yards. It also corresponds to buck at buck ranges, and if you are lucky your turkey choke spread with the right choke. It starts low power but can be very smoothly zoomed while holding on target. Also there is close to 5" of eye relief which is perfect for the side rail and will not result in a black eye. (unless you try to hold your eye against it before firing as a friend did with slugs. Scope was fine, mount was not. freind should have known better)

I have one fixed power and one as linked. I absolutely shoot slugs better with it, especially since I can see what I am shooting at more clearly.

For me that feature alone trumps red dots.

I have the butler creek flip caps on it, so it stays clean in the gun case, and installs in about 10 seconds. With a rifled choke, the setup can take about 2 minutes.

I would not recommend a guntec USA scope mount, as mine was damaged (and repaired), and also sits too high even with low rings. I think doing it again I would get a comblock mount and drill some "speed holes" in it to lighten.

• 4 weeks later...