CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Rev. John Henry, the Cleveland clergyman who in recent weeks has surrendered to police more than 200 guns and 2,000 boxes of ammunition, agreed Tuesday to relinquish something else -- his longtime job.

"An incident report describes the visit as a crisis intervention, which according to police policy must end with a psychiatric evaluation"

"Obviously securing the safety of the facility and neighborhood is at the forefront."

My linkhttp://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/02/spiritual_leader_gives_up_post.html

"Someone told me, 'Guns are legal.' Of course they are," Cimperman said. "But 200 guns and thousands of rounds of ammo for a homeless shelter? That doesn't pass the smell test." <<< That's a good line from a City Councilman.

Cleveland Public Safety Director Martin Flask. The guns range from a .44 Magnum handgun to an AK 74 assault rifle.

I didn't see an AK in the pic. You would think the paparazzi woulda paraded that at the head of the table.

• Like 1

I am still trying to figure out what he did wrong.

The guy has helped poor people for decades, but he owns guns so he must be crazy? WTF?

The article made it sound like they were trying to get him for purchasing the guns using the church's tax exempt status. But they couldn’t prove it. Still as of yet I guess they aren’t charging him with anything.

Edited by Gun Fanatic
  • Like 2

There could be a completely rational explanation for all of this... or he has been missguided in his beleifs and is very passionate to do something bad that he believes is the work of God. Only time will tell and only intervention from friends/family or Police will stop it.

They said he was acting erratic. He was observed going to Walmart at 10 or 11 at night and hanging around until 1 or 2 in the morning before he bought weapons and ammunition. WTF is wrong with that?

I don't get it........ Sounds like his constitutional rights have been violated to me.

• Like 1

There could be a completely rational explanation for all of this... or he has been missguided in his beleifs and is very passionate to do something bad that he believes is the work of God. Only time will tell and only intervention from friends/family or Police will stop it.

If the good pastor"s only "sin" is owning 200 guns, this not an intervention, it is a violation of his Constitutional Rights! As to the religious question on what is the work of God, in Luke 22:36 Jesus said, "...if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

• Like 2

There may be things we don't know, but everything in that story adds up to a whole lot of nothing. Trying to use his tax exempt status to buy guns? What, a church can't have guns? Hanging out too long at walmart before buying guns. OK, what is the time limit for that? I don't see anything in the story except conjecture.

• Like 2

"Someone told me, 'Guns are legal.' Of course they are," Cimperman said. "But 200 guns and thousands of rounds of ammo for a homeless shelter? That doesn't pass the smell test." <<< That's a good line from a City Councilman.

Cleveland Public Safety Director Martin Flask. The guns range from a .44 Magnum handgun to an AK 74 assault rifle.

I didn't see an AK in the pic. You would think the paparazzi woulda paraded that at the head of the table.

In the eyes of the media all of those guns in the picture are AK-47s

• Like 1

Damn, I want to check out that C96 on the far end of the table... I hope they have laws in Cleveland that the police must sell (if they are not to be returned) all seized firearms with a clear serial # so that piece of history survives.

post-18302-0-07692500-1297311127_thumb.jpg

Edited by 690gr

Im just brainstorming how this thread would be different if he was Muslim :osama:

Just a Thought

They have no legal right but it doesnt bother me them poking around. I would rather people be parinoid suspicous of each other if it stops another Arizona from happening which would tighten down on the firearms community.

Then again I assume the worst when I hear speculation.

Edited by Jbanda1213
An incident report describes the visit as a crisis intervention, which according to police policy must end with a psychiatric evaluation, hospital commitment or both.

A person is insane until proven sane?

Anyway, I don't know enough about this to render a complete opinion, but from what the article says, it seems like the only rule the guy broke was impeding a building inspection. Maybe attempting to use the tax-exempt status was improper if he didn't have permission from the church board or was doing it for his personal collection. I don't think it's fair to characterize his behavior as erratic either. The guy lives in a monastery. Maybe hanging around that Wal-Mart was the highlight of his month.

I concede that anyone who thinks he talks to god and owns a weapon is a threat to anyone within that weapon's effective range. However, unless he has some history of mental illness that would indicate he'd have trouble telling delusion from his own conscience, the risk, for most Christian sects anyway, is fairly low. Not to mention that after the first three to five guns a person's formidability sort of plateaus.

Edited by DrThunder88
An incident report describes the visit as a crisis intervention, which according to police policy must end with a psychiatric evaluation, hospital commitment or both.

A person is insane until proven sane?

Yes.

This is the newest way they're taking people's firearms.

If one has a large enough collection & believes they may one day have to use one, many have been "evaluated". If you resist & try to leave, you WILL be committed, then being as you have been committed once, you can now never legally purchase firearms again.

Not being paranoid here either.

There have been several incidences of this posted here.

I have personally witnessed this several times while working in Acute Behavioral Health Sciences (Psychiatric) & I know quite a few nurses & Mental Health Therapists from other units who I have spoken with who have seen the same thing in their units.

Why do you think conservatives are against Government run healthcare?

Doctors have MUCH more power than judges. Doctors can take your rights away with the stroke of a pen & judges ALWAYS will take a Dr's advise over your protest.

If the state controls healthcare, seeing cases like this will be MUCH MORE common.

Mark my words.

• Like 4

There was a very real threat that methods like this could be used to remove the 2nd Amendment freedoms of combat vets by accusing them of suffering from PTSD.

Odd how the truly crazy people like the kid in Arizona can slip through, but so many others seem to be getting targeted. Let alone a combat vet who actually fought for this country.

• Like 2

In the eyes of the media all of those guns in the picture are AK-47s

post-5916-0-58257500-1297342926_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Im just brainstorming how this thread would be different if he was Muslim :osama:

The Muslim clergyman hid several dozen weapons and thousands of rounds of ammunition in the inner city Mosque, and in nearby buildings on site. A rural farm owned by the Mosque was also raided where hundreds of rounds of ammunition and assault weapons, rifles, and small arms were discovered.

No one is quite sure where the clergyman got the money to buy the arsenal. The arms were readily available to the Sunni Muslim congregation.

The clergyman's lawyer said all the weapons and ammunition were legal. Police have not charged him with a crime.

• Like 1

With everything I've been following, and asking the people I know in Cleveland. This seems to sum up the whole interest;

why, how and with whose money

It was absolutely necessary that the spiritual leader of St. Herman's House of Hospitality step aside while authorities investigate why, how and with whose money he amassed an arsenal of more than 200 guns and tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition.

The way I see it, The Good Lord told him to buy weapons and ammo instead of a new Mercedes-Benz.

Who woulda questioned the Rev. John Henry if he showed up in that? That's a nice car you got there Reverend.

It bothered me for those who teach the words of Christ never ask themselves "WWJD if he has these kind of wealth?" Heck, Jesus definitely won't spend it on Mercedes or Guns.

With everything I've been following, and asking the people I know in Cleveland. This seems to sum up the whole interest;

why, how and with whose money

It was absolutely necessary that the spiritual leader of St. Herman's House of Hospitality step aside while authorities investigate why, how and with whose money he amassed an arsenal of more than 200 guns and tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition.

The way I see it, The Good Lord told him to buy weapons and ammo instead of a new Mercedes-Benz.

Who woulda questioned the Rev. John Henry if he showed up in that? That's a nice car you got there Reverend.

Edited by Nutical
  • Like 1