vented OEM:

VentedHG.jpg

vented railed OEM

S12OEMHGR.JPG

CSS thin tube aluminum handguard:

2367370.JPG

OEM...... i shouldn't have to post this.......:

S12%20HG.jpg

all of the attached pics below are the handguards i currently have. the fuglystick is the one im debating switching from, and the OEM is the one ill most likely switch too.

HOWEVER: i am not switching from the fuglystick for any notable reason; it is made with extreme quality, i am very happy with it and the customer service, it is rock solid, has a good finish, and looks great. it also functions great and has the unique ability to add a rail wherever you want one. i am not the largest person, and i just want something that lightens the guns forend a bit. the fuglystick is by no means heavy!!!!!! it is light for a aluminum forend, i just have decided i want something slightly lighter and less busy looking, i like a nice clean look to my guns. also, it is too wide for me to hold comfortably. again, i am not the biggest person ever. the OEM is simply more comfortable in my hand. i highly reccomend fuglystick products too anyone who is interested, you wont be dissapointed! i know the monster brake is a lot of weight, i am keeping it on the end to help with muzzleclimb and recoil.

also, feel free to post your opinions of what you would do if this were YOUR PERSONAL gun. keep in mind i cant have a folder in michigan. below is a list of its parts and work.

notched BHO

polished bolt and carrier by cobras customs

2 stage, polished, short reset trigger with over travel limiter by cobras customs

monster brake

V-Plug

tapco G-2 FCG

enidine recoil buffer tube

fucked up ace m4 stock......... measured it with calipers, its not commercial or mil spec, its fucking huge, over 80 thousandths to big, and not even circular on the inside.

snap on recoil pad

tapco SAW grip

AK builder trigger guard kit

OEM sights

OEM safety

MD arms booster puck...... made my gun run right........

axis pin retainer plate

SGM AR stock adapter

im not posting the handguard because obviously that's up in the air.

Mods that will be done VERY soon and are already arranged:

CGW heavy duty op rod

Tromix oversize charging handle

Mods i could do because i have the parts:

JTE power mainspring

mods im going to eventually get around too:

Drilled gas ports

limbsaver grind to fit pad, because the current snap on one is meant for .223 recoil

mods im vaguely considering:

cutting the barrel down and permanently attaching the monster brake to achieve a length of 18.5 inches. lone star arms, could you please let me know of any gas work that might have to be done? with the enidine buffer putting it to needing a booster piston to run, i think shortening the barrel would make it FTE. i have stock ports, with one partially covered. i intend to drill them. i know you have experience building saigas with monster brakes on shortened barrels and enidine buffers, so that's why im asking you. just letting you know beforehand, im not paying for any gaswork, im going to do it myself, id just like to know what generally has to be done to make that kind of a setup run right. thanks.

thank you to all who vote or post, i value everyone's opinion, and im posting this because i want some second opinions to my own.

post-32606-0-63841800-1309661170_thumb.jpg

post-32606-0-81328800-1309661199_thumb.jpg

post-32606-0-59192700-1309661204_thumb.jpg

post-32606-0-39544300-1309661208_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nailbomb
  • Like 1

I didn't like any of the handguards you have pictured, I went with a "traditional" handguard.

SG-022_web.jpg

as for the stock I went with the internal stock block with folding adapter and skelton ACE stock

as for the other aftermarket do-dads ie. spring, gas plug, piston etc... I didn't waste my money buying those things, because frankly it's not needed. all the stock stuff works with no issues, so why should I throw away money on stuff that isn't needed? it makes zero sense

as for the trigger group, I have enough US made compliance parts when I converted mine - 6 ( handguard, pistol grip, stock, mags(3)) that for the trigger group, I kept the original hammer and disconnector and went with a foreign made trigger.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Here's my "vented factory handguard with rail" ;) :

r17e.jpg

Early Lone Star Arms. I'm pretty sure the exact design is copyrighted, so don't copy it. I post it just as an example of what can be done with the factory handguard. It's pretty fuckin tough.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

I didn't like any of the handguards you have pictured, I went with a "traditional" handguard.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/images/D/SG-022_web.jpg[/img

as for the stock I went with the internal stock block with folding adapter and skelton ACE stock

as for the other aftermarket do-dads ie. spring, gas plug, piston etc... I didn't waste my money buying those things, because frankly it's not needed. all the stock stuff works with no issues, so why should I throw away money on stuff that isn't needed? it makes zero sense

as for the trigger group, I have enough US made compliance parts when I converted mine - 6 ( handguard, pistol grip, stock, mags(3)) that for the trigger group, I kept the original hammer and disconnector and went with a foreign made trigger.

The way I understood it is the number of US parts is not what makes you compliant, it's the foreign parts you have to have 10 or less of that makes it compliant.

If you have 50 US parts but still have 11 foreign parts you are not 922r compliant

Edited by TwiztidKlownzTX

thank you everyone for the replys. im leaning toward just screwing some rail to the OEM handguard if i ever want to mount something. i don't really want the russian tactical handguard because if i don't have something mounted, i don't want to have to hold the rail. that rail sticks out of the bottom pretty far too, so i cant just put rail covers on like i could with the chaos tri rail. thanks.

The way I understood it is the number of US parts is not what makes you compliant, it's the foreign parts you have to have 10 or less of that makes it compliant.

yes, you are correct in that, all AKs have 16 parts, 15 if it does not have a muzzle attachment, it's just easier to list the US parts. if you have 6 US parts, then you meet the 10 or less foreign parts

Threw me off I guess because you listed "pistol grip" as one of your parts. That doesn't take away from foreign part count since it was not on the gun as it was imported.

And I'm pretty sure the S12 is 15 parts, 14 if the barrel isn't threaded

Sorry just making sure I have it all right. Trying to plan what all I need to do to convert mine and still stay compliant. The stock I want is still a foreign part and i dont want the mag to effect compliance either so I'm having to look at everything else.

Edited by TwiztidKlownzTX

It all depends on the look you are going for on your shotty. I wanted mine to keep some of it's original flavor and yet be different too, so I kept the original handguard with a RPK style black polymer buttstock.

The good thing is you have MANY different options to select from! :super:

thank you everyone for the replys. im leaning toward just screwing some rail to the OEM handguard if i ever want to mount something. i don't really want the russian tactical handguard because if i don't have something mounted, i don't want to have to hold the rail. that rail sticks out of the bottom pretty far too, so i cant just put rail covers on like i could with the chaos tri rail. thanks.

this idea has also been playing on in my head since i don't have easy access to aftermarket handguards but i got some rails which i could "screw around" with. the potential problems i see if i just slap on some rails on the stock handguard would be:

1. that it might not be study enough.

2. the stock handguard surface isn't exactly flat but a bit curvy hence the rails wont be aligned straight on a parallel plane with the barrel of the gun.

3. where to relocate the sling if i slap on a rail under the barrel.

this idea has also been playing on in my head since i don't have easy access to aftermarket handguards but i got some rails which i could "screw around" with. the potential problems i see if i just slap on some rails on the stock handguard would be:

1. that it might not be study enough.

2. the stock handguard surface isn't exactly flat but a bit curvy hence the rails wont be aligned straight on a parallel plane with the barrel of the gun.

3. where to relocate the sling if i slap on a rail under the barrel.

I have a friend who is a good gunsmith who told me how to mount it so that there was no chance to break it. I don't remember how he said to do it though, but I'll ask him, and post it. I don't know what to do about the sling, but you could put jb weld under the sides of the rail section in the gaps caused by the OEM guards curves.

I am a BIG Fuglystick fan and supporter of Jay and the work he does, amazeing products BUT, I can see how they wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea... if overall weight is the main concern, go with vented OEM, ditch the monster break and go with a mid barrel comp from R&R or similar... that would be about as light as your gonna get.

I am a BIG Fuglystick fan and supporter of Jay and the work he does, amazeing products BUT, I can see how they wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea... if overall weight is the main concern, go with vented OEM, ditch the monster break and go with a mid barrel comp from R&R or similar... that would be about as light as your gonna get.

I too am amazed at the quality and customer service provided by jay. I'm not dropping the barrel pressure with a mid barrel comp, so the monster brake is staying. Currently, me and jay are working on cooking up somthing custom and light. Il post pics and a review if it turns out to be light enough. I'm shooting for 10 ounces or less. I kinda like the tri rails, but I currently have no use for rails. So I would have to add rail covers and all that stuff. If I can stick with fuglystick products, I will.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I started with a tapco galil. I wanted a light, fast, tough, and simple set up and the pics of the galil looked pretty good and balanced. Whats hard to find is an angle looking from the top, down over the gun (imagine holding it as if you were about to fire from the hip and looked down at the gun). The tapco is very wide, high (you can shave it lower if you like, but it will still be wide) and thin. It has a pretty flimsy feel to it because of the leverage you get in the guard with your support hand, say if you were to try to twist it to see if it wiggled. You also have to cut or sand the slot on the rear to make it fit, I may have over done it on mine which doesn't help at all, and it's connected with a metal bracket that costs just as much as the guard, giving it one more junction point and something else that can wiggle around. I was also trying to figure out the best way to attach my scout light, should I get a small section of polymer rail and put it on the guard itself, or get one of those clamp on rails for the barrel??

I recently got the tapco intrafuse and love it. It fig tightly, I had to smack it a few times with a rubber mallet to seat flush with the receiver, and it uses the stock screw to crank on nice and hefty like. The "tri-rail" isn't really an adjective I'd use for this guard because it doesn't come with the rails attached, you don't have to use any if you don't wish to. I personally have a magpul AFG on the bottome and my scout light on one side, and I've realized that the rearward section of un-used rail behind the light is a great place to pull down on with my thumb for control. Being a lefty I realize that anyone else who shoots it might also want to grip this way so I went ahead and just attached all three rails, they are polymer, so I'm not sad about the extra weight. But all in all, the intrafuse is a much better guard, it's cut lower staying far away from the sight picture, thin profile so it's not bulky or flimsy like the galil, and the plastic is thicker and tougher feeling than the galil. You also have the option of a ring to clip a sling to, rather than a loop that rattles around (stock guard) or nothing at all (galil).

So lets say that at the moment you need a guard that is vented, covers what needs to be cover and all with out all the extra bells and whistles, the intrafuse is the way to go. But if want something that you can later attach something to your gun with minimal drilling buying and modifying...the intrafuse is still the way to go ;)

Edited by Goose

I said that the galil was wide, high and thin. Sorry for not being more clear but I meant to say that the shape was wide, and the material is thin.

P.S.- the intrafuse FIT tightly, not "fig tightly" hahaha again my bad

Edited by Goose

My current debate is between the Magnolia state forend, and a fuglystick - but not the huge ones. If I get a fugly stick it'll be the small diameter, short version. I don't like the sticks that extend pass the gas block.

I was in love with the Kvar but since it can't accept rails, its a no-go for me. All the other handguards seem either too heavy, too bulky, or just plain necessary. Heh, to quote nutnfancy, 2nd kind of cool maybe, but all that other stuff just isn't for me. All I need is a small rail for a light, and maybe some kind of grip underneath. thats all.

Edited by AtlSaiga

i have a chaos quad on mine but if i was going just for a hand guard and not the quad rail set up id go with a Galil dont get me wrong i love my chaos and its a great product but im not a fan of how the tri rail looks on it own just looks incomplete to me

• 1 month later...

I'm hesitant to modify mine at all, because we might be getting the laws changed here in assachusetts soon where as I'll be able to have a pistol grip AND a detachable mag on a shotgun. Makes me feel SO special! Thanks to G O A L for that possible law change, and curses to Mitt Romney for executing the assault weapons ban in MA.

Russian tactical on mine. Love it.

this + 1000 i have tried alot ended up with the russian tactical,they are great if you can find one

i just got one and im super happy with it too.

Here's my "vented factory handguard with rail" wink.gif

that is a cool handguard mod. Does the pattern wrap around underneath or just on the sides?

I'm hesitant to modify mine at all, because we might be getting the laws changed here in assachusetts soon where as I'll be able to have a pistol grip AND a detachable mag on a shotgun. Makes me feel SO special! Thanks to G O A L for that possible law change, and curses to Mitt Romney for executing the assault weapons ban in MA.

If you change to a thumbhole after moving the trigger group forward then you should be Ok. If the laws change then you can change out the thumbhole for a PG and stock config. I would not hold my breath waiting for the laws in MA to change.

• 4 weeks later...