I usually only go shooting on nice days but may go this weekend in the rain. I would hope there would be less people there due to the weather, which would be a plus. What are your opinions on shooting in the rain? Are there any reasons why it is bad to? The gun won't actually get wet, just be out in the moisture. Should you clean the gun as soon as you get home? Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

Its a fucking mechanical conglomeration of metal and other materials, take it out whenever & wherever and shoot the shit out of it, pouring rain, blazing heat or zombie hordes.

Take it home, dry it off and wipe it down with a oily rag... She'll be GtG.

OK seriously.

The only way I could see rain or heavy humidity being a real factor is when shooting corrosive ammo.

The moisture is going to cause it to rust very rapidly, so definitely clean/oil asap.

• Like 7

I do it from time to time to run drills. Its nice to find out how our guns, gear, and training hold up in less than ideal weather conditions. I have to admit that my magazine changes get a little slower when my hands are cold.

My main concern was if I have to clean it immediatly, because I am lazy. I'm going to go and just clean them this time. My cousin and friend went hunting in the rain one time, a .270 and a Mak90. Ofcourse they never cleaned them at all and both are covered in rust.

My main concern was if I have to clean it immediatly, because I am lazy. I'm going to go and just clean them this time. My cousin and friend went hunting in the rain one time, a .270 and a Mak90. Ofcourse they never cleaned them at all and both are covered in rust.

Just goes to show that some people simply shouldn't own guns.bad_smile.gif

• Like 2

Dude, I can't even begin to count all the battlefields that have been lost cause the losing side didn't think the winners were hard core enough to attack them in "inclement" weather.

GO, shoot, have fun! But deffinantly dry and clean when you get home.

• Like 2

Don't know where your at yeoldetool but here in ga if there's just a drop of rain "no yard call" that's in prison don't know if your talking about the streets or what. But yea shoot in the rain and if you can actully get in the rain, out from under the cover.

Don't know where your at yeoldetool but here in ga if there's just a drop of rain "no yard call" that's in prison don't know if your talking about the streets or what. But yea shoot in the rain and if you can actully get in the rain, out from under the cover.

NYSDOCS Rain isn't considered inclement weather here. Thunder and lightning will close the yard, and rarely below zero temps will.

It'd be a violation of their rights to deny them rec.....Sheeesh!

Edited by Yeoldetool

if you are worried about the maintenance issue, just use a can of wd40 to displace and remove all the water on your weapon once you get it out of the rain. that should give you a week or two before you have to clean it.

if you use the right lubricants, your weapon will be coated with a protective film and will be good to go with a simple wipe down. always try to mop out the barrel.

firearms are tools and pretty much worthless if they cant perform in the rain. even my prettiest rifle gets rained and snowed on when hunting. I just take care of her right away and never have a problem. it would be a sin to not maintain her after a day of hunting.

if you want to shoot in the rain and not take care of your weapon, get a saiga and some wd40 at the very least.

• 11 months later...

When my Dad, sister and I would be hunting in rain or snow, we would wipe down the guns as best as possible before driving home, then clean them when we got there. If there was a lot of water involved, we'd leave the guns propped up on the bookcase near (not ON) the furnace vent. The extra air circulation would dry them out pretty quickly.

One of Dad's friends put a nylon sock full of uncooked rice in his rifle case.