Primary ( " Go-To " ) Gun , and why ...

Primary ( " Go To " ) gun ...  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Primary , " Go -To " Long Gun ?

• Saiga / AK ( 7.62 x 39 )
    • Saiga / AK ( 5.45 x 39 )
    • Saiga / AK ( .223 / 5.56)
    • Saiga / AK ( .308 )
    • S-12 , S-20
    • Other Non-Saiga / AK ( AR and their derivatives , any other long gun )

Greetings , Ladies and gents . Been wanting to do this for a while . Wanted to get everyone's general consensus on the primary long-gun that they go to , and why that particular Caliber / weapon was chosen .

Thanks , and enjoy .

Edited by Broken-Tengu

S12.

Because #4b is bad for intended targets and less bad for neighbors. because I have it and the gun works in every way I want a gun to work.

Next inline is a 9mm pistol (Taurus 92fs) with overpriced SD ammo, because it's the pistol I have and I shoot well enough with it.

• Like 1

Depends on where I am. For home defense, I usually keep a handgun within reach. When I'm out hiking or hunting in areas where there might be dangerous wildlife, I like to carry my 8" S-12 loaded with slugs.

Primary long gun-FAL

Caliber-308

Why-If I'm not sure what I'm walking in to/ going up against it will be able to get the job done at long and short distances.

The truth-This gun is left at home (although home for me is less then a mile from work) and doesn't go everywhere that I go.

Gun other then my Glock that is most likely to see use if I'm out and about and need a rifle caliber-AR pistol

Caliber-I run 300 blackout most of the time.

Why-It's easy to carry, easy to hide and hit's with authority. I've practiced a ton with this platform and like to push the envelope with it.

S-20

I live out in the sticks with a lot of things that may or may not be a problem day or night.

Have mags loaded with a variety of shells from birdshot to slugs for looking at stuff that slithers to walks on 4 or less legs. Buckshot doesn’t require a good sight picture in the dark.

Alternate is a Glock cause sometimes the S-20 is a bit hard to be discreet with when greeting the unknown.

Honestly, I like both AK's and AR's and am proficient with both. Considering that I own a few AK type long guns and only one AR, it's more likely that I'd grab a 7.62x39 AK. I have more ammo in that caliber and 2 rifles VS one .223/5.56 rifle.

My "Go to" is a Glock 19 as I am not active duty or an operator. I do have a loaded S12 & a 7.62x39 AK both with sneaky bags ready to rock at bedside..

AR for a couple of reasons. I have plenty of ammo and I can hit from 0 to 600 yards with it. In addition the .223/5.56 is one of the most common rifle rounds in the US and you should be able to find ammo anywhere. For over 600 yards I go to my Rem 700 .308 with 5r barrel and Nightforce F1 3.5-15 scope. Easy hits out to 1000 yards on "man size" targets.

Doug

AR-much better with mag changes and comfort level, and has a flashlight mounted. But in my mind there's a difference between "go to" and "end of the world." Go to is quick reaction, bump in the night vs end of the world which is one gun that you will carry after the nukes fly, zombies come, Chinese invade...

• Like 2

I'm just going to ask the home invader what he he wants to die from, kimbers,s-12's,AK's, he might even want the chicago typwriter, but actually it will be just a moment decision,because the pit-bull will give me 30 seconds to decide or more! Hope it never happens though,cause I havem to enjoy & hopefully not to kill with! BUT I WOULD IF I HAD TO!

• Like 1

AR-much better with mag changes and comfort level, and has a flashlight mounted. But in my mind there's a difference between "go to" and "end of the world." Go to is quick reaction, bump in the night vs end of the world which is one gun that you will carry after the nukes fly, zombies come, Chinese invade...

My "bump in the night" would be either my FNP-9 with flashlight, or mossberg 500.

Too many choices for too many situations.

My bedside has a Remington 870 Express next to it because I look at it as a disposable gun ($250 plus a $40 flashlight and $15 mount) if I have to use it to defend my home, plus it makes the universal, "Get the Fuck Out of My House" sound when you chamber a round.

For survival, I would rather have a .22 for it's light weight and ease of carrying a lot of rounds to get food/signal.

For a battle rifle, then the AK would work well as would the AR.

For everyday use, I still think a concealed Glock is the best medicine.

WHO SAID YOU HAVE TO PICK JUST ONE?!?!

• Like 2

Too many choices for too many situations.

My bedside has a Remington 870 Express next to it because I look at it as a disposable gun ($250 plus a $40 flashlight and $15 mount) if I have to use it to defend my home, plus it makes the universal, "Get the Fuck Out of My House" sound when you chamber a round.

For survival, I would rather have a .22 for it's light weight and ease of carrying a lot of rounds to get food/signal.

For a battle rifle, then the AK would work well as would the AR.

For everyday use, I still think a concealed Glock is the best medicine.

WHO SAID YOU HAVE TO PICK JUST ONE?!?!

+1 I could not have said it better myself!

• Like 1

It depends on where I'm at and what I'm doing because "Go to" implies an urgency to the situation. If I'm sleeping my, Glock 17 is within arm's reach and an S12 not much further away than that. If I'm taking a shower, It's a 44 mag hanging on the back of the bathroom door. If I'm in the downstairs bathroom, it's a Walther PPK .380. If I'm in my Hobby/Gun/Workout room it's could be anything, but the Saiga 7.62 is always ready to go. If I have to go outside for any reason it would be the S12 or 7.62 unless it was a bear situation and then it would be the Beowulf .50. As always when carrying concealed away from home it's the XD .40 compact. Now, for the sake of argument, if I were in one room with all my guns, they were all loaded and ready to go, which one would I choose if someone barged through my front door? The S12....hands down.

It depends on where I'm at and what I'm doing because "Go to" implies an urgency to the situation. If I'm sleeping my, Glock 17 is within arm's reach and an S12 not much further away than that. If I'm taking a shower, It's a 44 mag hanging on the back of the bathroom door. If I'm in the downstairs bathroom, it's a Walther PPK .380. If I'm in my Hobby/Gun/Workout room it's could be anything, but the Saiga 7.62 is always ready to go. If I have to go outside for any reason it would be the S12 or 7.62 unless it was a bear situation and then it would be the Beowulf .50. As always when carrying concealed away from home it's the XD .40 compact. Now, for the sake of argument, if I were in one room with all my guns, they were all loaded and ready to go, which one would I choose if someone barged through my front door? The S12....hands down.

And to think Ive been called paranoid/crazy for having a gun in every room of the house!!

I say if you dont have one in every room your unprepared!cool.png

• Like 3

Mine is a Beretta Cx4 loaded with 21 rounds of Golden Sabre 124 grain +p. It's stored with my Px4 that's also loaded with 21 rounds of the same, plus 8 extra loaded magazines stored with them. After that,it's a Mossberg 590 loaded with 8 rounds of 00.

The S12 doesn't come out unless it's really bad. I'd hate the idea of sitting in some evidence lockup if I ever had to use it.