When I was a kid, every pick-up truck in the school parking lot had a gun rack in the rear window. When someone got a new cool gun, the teachers would want to go out and see it, and fondle it! lol. When I was in a play in high school, the Student counciler/head football coach provided me with his Ruger .22 to wear to make it look authentic. Play was South Pacific, I portrayed Luther Billis. I just don't get it. It wasn't that long ago. Now kids get expelled for drawing a picture of a gun. Really, WTF? Maybe I'm just ranting, but I just don't get it.

• Like 6
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I was a kid, every pick-up truck in the school parking lot had a gun rack in the rear window. When someone got a new cool gun, the teachers would want to go out and see it, and fondle it! lol. Wh

I blame the Hippies.

When I was growing up, you weren't properly dressed unless you had a pocketknife. Now you can be arrested for it.

Hasn't changed everywhere. When I visit certain places I still see plenty of back window gun racks filled up, even sometimes with AR or AK.

Do I see them around Seattle? Nope, but consider that a multi-story office bldg now sits where my dad used to go fishing and hunting on the outskirts of the city.

It wasn't much more then ten years ago when I came home from school the first Monday after my first ever straight-A report card. Waiting for me was a nice used Marlin 60 that my dad bought out of the classifieds section as a reward.

As long as dads keep doing those sorts of things for their sons & daughters, nothing is irretrievable about this part of the culture.

• Like 4

When I was a kid we had "the great" generation of Americans leading the country and raising us. When I got in a fight I used my fists and took the detention. We didn't have laws to protect the stupid from natural selection. Best I can figure things started taking a change for the worse in the early 80's.

• Like 2

I read somewhere that during the veitnam war ( i was just a kid), the pacifists that didnt flee to Canada took every easy college class they could. Because as long as they were enrolled in college they could escape the draft. After the war was over and these "hippies" graduated with their "liberal arts" degrees no one wanted to hire them because they really did not have any productive skills. So they set about forming the liberal arts programs we now have in many colleges. They formed political action commities and other libturd orginazations to gain some sort of income. Since they could not make the level of income that industry pays in their jealous rage they have sought to destroy all that has been built. So they can rebuild everything in their image according to their "perfect" ideals!

• Like 3
When I was a kid we had "the great" generation of Americans leading the country and raising us. When I got in a fight I used my fists and took the detention. We didn't have laws to protect the stupid from natural selection. Best I can figure things started taking a change for the worse in the early 80's.

Lol. There was a guy that disliked me, and I disliked him. Seems like 2 or three times a week at school lunch time we would head out and duke it out. LOL. We always ended up shaking each others hands. Wasn't anything serious. I'd buy him a beer now, if I ever saw him again.

• Like 1

A lot of it has to do with the media. This article is from the Miami Herald talking about the high prices etc. at their local gun show. The very last line says they had conversion kits for sale to convert semi auto rifles to machine guns. WTF?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/20/3191830/high-prices-obama-paranoia-at.html

• Like 1
We didn't have laws to protect the stupid from natural selection.

It wasn't much more then ten years ago when I came home from school the first Monday after my first ever straight-A report card. Waiting for me was a nice used Marlin 60 that my dad bought out of the classifieds section as a reward.

As long as dads keep doing those sorts of things for their sons & daughters, nothing is irretrievable about this part of the culture.

Yeah Darwin is even getting pissed off now that everyone gets a trophy.

Mancat we have to pass on right and wrong, as well as win or lose. Learning those brings on responsibility and dare I say in this day and age "Work Ethic"

• Like 2

Where I went to school(there were 3 of them), you couldn't have a gun in the vehicle. Parents would forget the gun in the rack, quickly leave the parking lot get out of sight take it down and drive back to pick up their kids. And I'm in a fairly semi gun state.

Good question. Lots of excellent answers and thank you. In think, that in the final quick reflection, we all got greedy. We also got fat and sassy and forgot our nations beginnings. Even Thomas Jefferson warned us of this....that if too many undeserving people got the right to vote, they would just vote their own personal self $interests$ and not the greater interests or needs of the nation.

Way back when; only land owning tax paying males could vote. They had a direct stake in the running and future of our young nation. Now way too many idiots vote; some or most have no idea how valuable or priceless the power of the vote is. They just piss it away voting for the most handsome. Free loaders and welfare receivers are incouraged to vote. Guess what way they go? Their own self interest.

The solution? Return the francise, (ability or duty to vote) to only those who....1) pay taxes...2) have served in the armed forces OR in a public safety position....3) know what it means to place your own safety at risk for the safety of the Republic. Any other course is just bull shit. The key is the power of the polling place...if that fails, then all power comes from the muzzle of a gun. HB of CJ

Yeah...Robert Heinlein had it dead right in "Starship Troopers"...written way back in 1957 or sooos.

I think the pussification started, as with most bad things, with the hippies. They, with their love of their own kids, were too stupid to ever understand tough love. They didnt want their kid picked on, or to be last in a race, or whatever. Suddenly we started sering the PCrules. Kids being suspended for kissing a girl's cheek at the age of 5, as sexual harassment, contests where everyone gets a participation award, etc.

I see the same shit now in my kids preschool, and its gone too far. A kid gets hit, evn if by accident, and the parent or teacher feels a need to interject themselves before the can try to resolve anything. How the hell do they learn how deal with people without having to do so? I see other kids who are never told no. Parents work through an elaborate conversation to redirect the kids frustration. I think they think I am weird that I dont interfere, and i tell my kids the absolute truth, whoch, sorry to say, is no sometimes! I hope they'll be better to deal with life with these advantages. I sure as hell know, however, where the whiney crybabies are coming from.

When I was in high school the ROTC armory was full of M-14 rifles. We cleaned them, drilled with them and as a member of the drill team we seriously threw those rifles at each other. And of course, we had the bayonets that belonged to them in the armory as well. The rifles were complete and not demil at all. Only the firing pin was missing, and they were all stored in the safe in the ROTC office. Our color guard were issued the dress white parade slings and chromed accessories. The rifle range was under the stadium and we used .22 target rifles to do our qualifications. Lots of pickups in the student parking lot with rifles and shotguns in the windows. Locker inspections, I always got called out of class to take my brick of .22 ammo out to my car trunk. Shoot at each other? Are you mad? we would beat the snot out of each other, catch hell for it and that was pretty much it. Period. Well, until the next fight came along anyway.

Somewhere along the way respect for ourselves and each other was removed from the process and this is what we have now. Expectations were lowered and "everyone's a winner" destroyed any pride that was left in competition.

And in depressing myself and telling stories like the apparently senile old fool that I am becoming, I have just come to a decision. I love my Saigas, but I want need an M14. It's a piece of my own history I can hold in my hands again. God help my wallet, I'm going to go find one and buy it.

• Like 3
I read somewhere that during the veitnam war ( i was just a kid), the pacifists that didnt flee to Canada took every easy college class they could. Because as long as they were enrolled in college they could escape the draft. After the war was over and these "hippies" graduated with their "liberal arts" degrees no one wanted to hire them because they really did not have any productive skills. So they set about forming the liberal arts programs we now have in many colleges. They formed political action commities and other libturd orginazations to gain some sort of income. Since they could not make the level of income that industry pays in their jealous rage they have sought to destroy all that has been built. So they can rebuild everything in their image according to their "perfect" ideals!

A liberal arts degree is essentially a degree for completing your core classes. The degree itself is handy if you want to get your core classes completed for cheap at a local community college before heading to a big named big budget school to complete your education. Without the degree you have to basically hope that the bigger school will allow you to transfer your credit hours.

So basically anyone that sees a liberal arts degree as their endgame is pretty much a moron.

EDIT : BTW Dick Cheney and quite a few of the hawk Republicans did the same thing..

Edited by Tool_of_Society

Well guess what, I have a liberal arts degree. In History. I also backed it up with a certificate in Geographic Information Systems because I knew I needed a marketable skill. One thing about being a history major, you learn there are two sides to every story, and even though the victors always write the history, that doesn't mean it's correct. Most of the people bashing liberal arts degrees probably don't have one! LOL! I went back to school in 2001 and EARNED that degree. I'm damned proud of it!

My high school days were about 20 years before that. As far as the good old days, well in high school we all carried pocket knives. Most had a lock back in one of those leather sheaths you wear on your belt, you know, like the Duke boys? I didn't care for that style, so I carried my Buck lock back in my jeans pocket. ROTC drilled with 1903 Springfields, and their firing range was past the end zone of the football field where they used the .22 just like someone else here mentioned. Most everyone had a gunrack in the truck, went deer or squirrel hunting, and owned a rifle or shotgun from youth on up.

Fights were always settled with fists. Hell, you never thought about using a weapon on someone in school. You would have been completely ostracized and probably been beaten to within a inch or two of your life by people jumping in to stop it. Was there bullying like we hear so much of today? Of course there was. The difference was back then you got tired of getting your ass beat and learned to stand up for yourself. No social media for you to do a tear jerking YouTube video about what a pussy you were, or quasi celebs like Lady Gaga to champion your cause. It was simply a more mature society.

I often wonder WTF happened too....mad.gif

Edited by Jpanzer
  • Like 3
this is what happened they replaced the rifleman , and the duke boys, with ryan seacrest and warped the youth in just a few seasons of ''AMERICAN IDOL''. you never come back from a thing like IDOL.

American idle would be more like it as far as I'm concerned. And people wonder why I haven't watched television in many years.

Edited by The Deacon
When I was growing up, you weren't properly dressed unless you had a pocketknife. Now you can be arrested for it.

Yep, the teachers would always look for us "ranch and farm boys" when they needed a knife to peel their apple or whatever else they needed a knife for. LOL

I grew up on a 58,000 acre ranch with many more around 10-100 times that size. When we would spend the weekend with one of the others and would be hunting, we would take our rifle/shotty on the bus with us and take it to the Principle's office so they could hang on to it for us between classes..when school was over for the day, we would go get our gun and get on their bus to go off for our weekend...NO FREAKIN BIG DEAL!!! Boy, how times have changed!