The .22lr "tactical" sport rifles have become pretty popular and I'm thinking of adding one to the collection.

(I know, how tactical can you get with a .22?... lol)

I have a Marlin 795 (like a mag fed Marlin 60) and it's fine, but I'm looking for something "beefier".

I was very close to buying a 10/22 a while back. It's probably the most popular .22 rifle ever, and I know they

are both loved and hated. For now it's off my list though, simply because there are cooler .22 rifles out there.

Specifically I'm leaning toward a Sig 522, or a real live AR in .22lr (with a Chiappa or other upper).

I don't think I want a poly upper, I'd want an aluminum upper and lower.

There are some lower end rifles like the Colt and the S&W M&P22 and others. Most of those have poly receivers

and some of them are known to have feed issues and mag problems.

Looks like it's best to stay with a rifle that will use proven Black Dog mags:

http://blackdogmachinellc.net/ar15-.22-conversion-25rd-mag.aspx

Even though I love AK's, for some reason the German made AK's in .22lr don't interest me.

Maybe if Saiga made one that was importable.....

So who has a Sig 522 or dedicated .22lr AR (or other similar rifle), and what do you like or dislike about them?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

don't get a 10/22 get two 10/22s

^^^ That is pretty slick.   For me it is not an "either / or" situation between the 10/22 or other platforms. I own both and love both for different reasons and because they fit different roles. The

have a 15-22 but the 10-22's leave a world of options. had this threaded for a sparrow can, makes a great walk around plinker.    

Posted Images

I've heard the STG-44 .22 is supposed to be very nice, if you wanted something a bit more uncommon.

stg-44-ati-american-tactical-imports-22l

I don't know anything about the Sig or an AR chambered for .22, but I think you are on the right track with aluminum upper and lower for the AR. Also, I have a 10/22 in the safe. It's about what you would expect from any typical .22 caliber rifle, but mag-fed.

Edited by forsaken352
  • Like 6

Wow... two cool suggestions right off the bat, thanks guys.

I saw that STG-44 .22 a while back but forgot all about it, very nice.

That bullpup stock with the fake can looks pretty tough too.

Looks very much like the P-90 and reminds me of Samantha Carter which is also very nice.   smile.png

post-16487-0-33225200-1429472006.jpg

• Like 3

S&W M&P 15-22. All the controls are the same as an AR15 (charging handle, bolt catch, mag release, ext). Can be had for around 400, although PSA puts them up for 299 every now and agai . They also take relatively inexpensive 25 round mags (under $20)

• Like 2

Wow... two cool suggestions right off the bat, thanks guys.

I saw that STG-44 .22 a while back but forgot all about it, very nice.

Honestly, now that I saw it again, I'm trying to tell myself that I cannot buy one. I've more than exceeded the amount I need to be spending on firearms this year with a new M1A, SWFA SS HD 1-6x24, ammuntion, and various other accessories.

That bullpup stock with the fake can looks pretty tough too.

Looks very much like the P-90 and reminds me of Samantha Carter which is also very nice.   smile.png

I've you've never held a P-90/PS-90, you should. I've held my neighbor's PS-90 in the past, and they fit like a glove.

• Like 1

Liken that bullpup dad

Funny this should come up. Despite an extreme lack of reasonably priced Cci mini mags I've been feeling my 22 selection lacks. So I've been looking.

The stg? Yeah a shop kinda far from me always has one. Heavier than hell IMO but ill buy one one day. They are neat.

10/22? Been there. Done that. And that. And that. But, still, versitale. Ill do "that"a few more times in the next 20 years.

15 22 39 45 s&w mp j&o f&u. Crap. I'm tired of typing that into gunbroker. I've got a couple. Very awesome very close to ar controls. I've got a pink camp one I bought two years ago for my 7 year old who will get it when I think she's ready. (Soon).

My current interests?

Another 10/22. Yeah, I know

Hk 416. I'm not paying 4 gs for "the gun that got O' man. "

I will pay 550 for a reasonable 22 clone

Stg- history, man

Colt something something. Haven't seen one in a bit and forgot what the numbers are. But I held one a few years back and I remember hands down it had the closest ar controls ever.

Iirc and feel free to call bullshit I held a sig 22 awhile back. Dumbest mag release ever. I realize my life will never depend on this rifle. Doesn't mean engineering needs to mail it in.

Let us know what you decide.

Eta no feeding problems or otherwise with any of my 10/22 or s&w m&p15 22 (see what I mean? :) )

To be fair- I've only shot Cci mini mags.

Edited by fatty alcohol
  • Like 1

I have both the M&P15-22 and the Sig522. I like them both. I have never had any feed issues with either of them. I have mostly shot the Remington Golden Bullet with no issues. I really have no preference of one rifle over the other. They both are a lot of fun to shoot. My son and I like to shoot at a .22 dueling tree. We trade rifles back and forth. He prefers the Sig. When I ask him why says the doesn't know but he just does. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

• Like 2

Well from what I understand, and not personal experience, the stg was a real good, if not hard to manufacture, machine gun.

Anyways , in regard to the 22. A big old FAKE of what it claimed to be does not fill the role if what it is expected to to be.

Nobody likes liars.

I don't think there are a dozen people on this forum that will understand what I just said.

But one will. And for whatever pointless pointlessness that is. I will say it. Liars suck.

• Like 1

The 10/22 has so many aftermarket accessories that you can basically make it whatever you want it to be. With that out of the consideration though i would opt for a real ar upper in 22lr mated to a real ar lower. The rest of the options out there just don't do it for me.

Eta: the hk mp5 in 22lr looks good but from first hand experience with a buddys, its heavy and chokes on all kinds of ammo, including cci. Just warning ya bc i was tempted until we tried to shoot the damn thing.

Edited by LuPiN8oR
  • Like 3

Well from what I understand, and not personal experience, the stg was a real good, if not hard to manufacture, machine gun.

Anyways , in regard to the 22. A big old FAKE of what it claimed to be does not fill the role if what it is expected to to be.

Nobody likes liars.

I don't think there are a dozen people on this forum that will understand what I just said.

But one will. And for whatever pointless pointlessness that is. I will say it. Liars suck.

So does it have a lot off operational issues or is it just too heavy and whatnot for a .22lr

I've heard the STG-44 .22 is supposed to be very nice, if you wanted something a bit more uncommon.

stg-44-ati-american-tactical-imports-22l

I don't know anything about the Sig or an AR chambered for .22, but I think you are on the right track with aluminum upper and lower for the AR. Also, I have a 10/22 in the safe. It's about what you would expect from any typical .22 caliber rifle, but mag-fed.

As soon as I saw the rotor of this thread I thought of this rifle. If I could, this is the first .22 I would buy.

Title I mean, not rotor. Fuggin phone.

I like the M&P15-22. 5.5" barrel and suppressed. Very quiet even with non-subs.

ETA: Accepts AR stock and trigger with no modification (Geissele SD3G and Hi-Speed work great), accepts AR grip with a very minor modification (drill a shallow hole for takedown pin detent), and accepts free float AR handguard with the use of an adapter. It has a polymer (not plastic) upper and lower, very light, accurate enough, and controls are just like an AR except for the length of travel of the charging handle. It runs more reliably than any 10/22 I have ever owned, even with the wobbly Remington Golden bullets and subs. Trust me, I was a hardcore 10/22 guy before I tried the 15-22. One time at the range with a 15-22 and I sold off my 10/22s. I never looked back.

post-22401-0-40718100-1429492209_thumb.jpg

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 4

Both the GSG-5 Mp5 clone and the Stg-44 clone are Umarex/GSM manufactured plastic shells around a cheap action and barrel. May be fun but when disassembled you can definitely tell they were designed by an airsoft manufacturer.

I have a Sig 522 and it's an excellent rifle. Wish I could still go and dump bricks out of it every weekend. Very high quality all around. My only complaint is that I don't like the adjustable stock, but it can take the standard folding Sig stock or even the airsoft clones of them. Upper is forged aluminum, lower is plastic. Takes standard Ceiner/Black Dog mags. Trigger is excellent. Digested any and all types of ammo I've ever fed it.

The rifle is accurate enough that I once chopped a small sapling in half after a couple hundred rounds into the bullseye of a paper target, pretty rapid fire at about 50yd.

• Like 2

I love and cannot recommend enough the Tactical Solution's AR-22 upper built on a standard AR lower (in my case a Spikes). It is all aluminum, allows all the customization you could ever want with an AR, and the steel sleeved aluminum bull barrel threaded 1/2 x28 is an absolute tack driver. 5.5 lbs with an unloaded mag:

post-37530-0-31421800-1429493330_thumb.jpg

post-37530-0-38853300-1429493357_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Both the GSG-5 Mp5 clone and the Stg-44 clone are Umarex/GSM manufactured plastic shells around a cheap action and barrel. May be fun but when disassembled you can definitely tell they were designed by an airsoft manufacturer.

I have a Sig 522 and it's an excellent rifle. Wish I could still go and dump bricks out of it every weekend. Very high quality all around. My only complaint is that I don't like the adjustable stock, but it can take the standard folding Sig stock or even the airsoft clones of them. Upper is forged aluminum, lower is plastic. Takes standard Ceiner/Black Dog mags. Trigger is excellent. Digested any and all types of ammo I've ever fed it.

The rifle is accurate enough that I once chopped a small sapling in half after a couple hundred rounds into the bullseye of a paper target, pretty rapid fire at about 50yd.

Guess I should have read about the stg a bit more haha. Not into plastic shells too much.

The family owned and operated mundane slightly modified blue Ruger 10-22 in a shortened fore end Choate folder with a Green Mountain 8" 1X9 twist stainless steel barrel with a Bentz chamber with the gun having the usual boring Vorkorsun (sp) goodies inside hooked up to an Elite Iron 6" Echo can with various scopes on top with many different sites and rails and stuff but right now with the good old Leopold 1X4X20 semi compact scope. 

I need to learn how to post pictures.  SW OR USA Skunk buster.  We use the Aquila 60 gr. subsonic round nose lead .22rf ammo.  Kinda getting low at only 2000 rounds.  Accuracy is about 1,25" at 50 yards.  Squeeze, (3lbs) POP, cycle sounds, THUD!.  Repeat.   Also using a .22rf lead bullet hollow pointer with good success.  Too much information.  Now you know more.   Sentences are too long for what it is worth.  HB of CJ (old coot)

Al US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply

• Like 1

Damn, I do like that. Just like an AR. What'd that run you?

Don't know what they are running now. The complete upper was $499 when I bought it a couple of years ago.

The upper bolt carrier is unique, and does not require the buffer and buffer spring in the AR lower, but runs fine with both of those in the lower. I can pull two pins, replace with a 5.56 upper, change mags and go to town with it as a standard AR. So yes it is truly interchangeable. Using a standard lower also gives you infinite trigger options. I have a Timney 3.5 drop in this one.

• Like 1

That's really depressing that the STG44 is just a plastic airsoft gun that can shoot .22lr rounds.

unfortunately, yeah. this is what's inside.

the tooling for the real Stg-44 still exists and some new production rifles are out there. I'm really surprised they have not been rechambered in 7.62x39 rather than 7.92x33, given how similar to the two cartridges are.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/01/22/new-mp-44-sturmgewehr-rifles-coming-us/

UiqVLdu.jpg

• Like 1

wow... that looks like those realistic guns you can buy at Target. [Well realistic aside from the fact they make PEW PEW laser sounds and flash flights when you pull the trigger.]

• Like 1

Spacehog, that AR is very sexy!

I'm confused on the STG-44 .22.....

Is that plastic or cast metal (potmetal, zinc, etc.) in that pic mancat?

Check out this video.... starting at 4:50, he says the GSG .22 copy is 9lbs. and "mostly metal".

https://youtu.be/WSQ1VtUVjIU

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1