Please tell me why anyone would want a 22 for Self defense

So what would you say to an old person or someone with a physical handicap, who simply can not operate a .45, but can empty a .22 into a 4" group at 30 yards?

There are all kinds of people in the world, think before making blanket statements!

Edited by Ronin38
  • Like 4

Not so much my choice for SD. From experience, the limited range and the finickiness(?) in relation to gun/bullet in a prison setting... NO!

I have many times carried either a .22LR handgun or rifle, or both, in hunting or hiking situations. But, I know how my guns work with a given ammo.

• Like 2

I would NEVER use a .22 for self defence if I could use ANYTHING else!  Not because of the calliber, but because rim fire primeing is NOT reliable!  I  have had too many .22 rounds that did not go BANG until I rotated them 90 degrees!

I have used a .25, and that is actually the only gun that I have used when I HAD to defend myself. The little .25 has real primers, and will go bang every time!

The reason that large rimfire rounds fell out of favor is that the longer you leave the rounds in your carry piece, the less likely they are to actually fire the first time!

I have never had to pull the trigger on anyone, but i HAVE had to pull my gun on more than one occasion when I ran night calls in DC public housing. Knowing that the gun WILL go bang if needed is a definite MUST! 

• Like 5

22LR kills more people per year than just about any other round. This primarily happens because people don't respect it. I know that a few years back, some wealthy dude from around here used a single shot 22LR rifle in self defense when a party of other armed guys showed at his house and threatened to kill him. He fired one single shot at the "leader", hit him in chest and basically disconnected him. Dude was dead instantly. Local ER doctors have also confirmed that the 22 makes a mess of tissue in ways that larger calibers dont.

• Like 2

It's all about shot placement.

If you have a 45 and I've got a .22lr, you shoot me in the foot, and I shoot you in the eye..who wins the fight?

That said. I'd rather shoot you in the eye with  a 45 for good measure.

Edited by poolingmyignorance
  • Like 3

Plenty of people have been dropped in a single shot by .22. It's not my first choice but if I had to shoot a person in self defense and it's all I had, I'm pretty sure that person is still going down or at the very least running the other direction and will be in an ER soon.

• Like 2

Primer reliability would be my main concern. If a .22 is all you have, try every ammo you can to find the most reliable. Yes, a .25 is more reliable, but doesn't hit very hard.

If you want to make a .25 hit really hard, get yourself a 36" leather boot lace, tie one end through the trigger guard &  use the other end to swing it around like a sling to bash 'em in in the head with... 

• Like 2

Wow.  So much to say.  So little time.  If somebody has broken down your door and is inside your Castle and Home, you really need to stop the lethal illegal aggressive threat NOW!  Not 5 days from now. Not 5 hours from now.  Not 5 minutes from now.  Right NOW!

Thus the rub or problem.  Then in the long term when all the other legal, tactical, physical and moral aspects come into play that will probably bite you in your ass more than the break in are considered, you really want to stop that deadly lethal threat(s) NOW!.

Enter the legal tax stamped short barreled Saiga 12 AK 47 folding stock shotgun employing maximum goose big bird shot 3 inch magnum loads.   Ten of them. Probably "BB" sized birdshot, but that is my opinion only.  Others will differ about this which is good.

I think cost and conceal ability are the only things driving a 22 as a carry gun.

A jennings j22 is about $50.00

a sig 380 is $500.00 or more

some folks cant afford a quality carry gun

I had a friend who carried a little tiny Freedom arms 22 revolver on a lanyard around his neck all over the world.

no one even suspected he was armed.

there is a place for tiny guns 

• Like 2

Well, I wouldn't want to be on the catching end of a .22lr

Would you?

My wife can't open a Pillsberry biscuit dough container without flinching,

much less fire any weapon widely considered " suitable for self defense". Both eyes slam shut just before the pop. She is however somewhat proficient with the 10/22.

So yeah, it's her first choice for HD, SD. I keep it clean and loaded with CCI mini mag ammo when I'm away. It's never had a hick up with that. If some scumbag were to show up here and mess with that mama bears cubs, I'm certain she would perforate them.

• Like 5

So what would you say to an old person or someone with a physical handicap, who simply can not operate a .45, but can empty a .22 into a 4" group at 30 yards?

There are all kinds of people in the world, think before making blanket statements!

Ronin38 I am not trolling , I am laid up since last Wednesday with a broken leg with a steel rod in it, this is my 2nd surgery on my leg in the last 11 months. I have been surfing the net as I cant do much else right now . A lot of prepper sights and other sights highly recommend a 22. I have had a young man very close to me a MARINE executed shot in the back while he was on his knees handing a thug his car keys and wallet to the perp, he was eating birthday cake with my 8 yr old son on 6-3-06 and we buried him on 6-26-06 I think . He did this , because he had taken his wife out partying for her b day and they were pointing a gun at his wife. He only had 40.00 in his wallet . I know what a 22 can due with proper shot placement it went between his shoulder blades and clipped the top artery in his heart the bullet never exited .I guess I hate 22's . I would like to share a personal experience of my own . I farm and have several Great Pyrenees Mt Dogs I like my dogs and take good care of them . I had a female about 10 years ago that went crazy she would attack any dog or person beside's me and there are a lot of children that come around my house. I had to lock her up in one of those magnum kennels with a top , when she saw any kid she would go pyscho chewing on the wire and trying to dig out. My wife said you are going to have to do something with her or she is going to hurt someone . I like my dogs and she had been born and raised here , treats and petting and all the good stuff. I was afraid to try and give her somebody as she wouldn't let anyone pet her without growling at them and that's if I was holding her . I rote her name on 4 mini mags and went down put here in a pen and dispatched here[ it hurt because I liked her ] . I went to get my truck so I could take and bury her and when I got back [ if I never draw another breath ] she was standing up and she didn't like me after that , MIGHT BE ANOTHER REASON I DONT LIKE 22S . I walked back to the house and got my glock and fixed the problem . I took her to the back and buried her and all the rest of my dogs love kids she just went crazy. R.I.P LANCE COPORAL JOHNATHAN PRICE LEX KY

P. S. I still love my dogs as they are part of my family and have 6 of them and no I am not running a puppy mill most are spayed or neutered y'all be safe and watch over your children and your 6 as nobody else will

• Like 4

Bill Burr is a comedian, but this does make some sense in this case.

(Can someone imbed this for me if it doesn't work, thanks)

ETA: I can't find a clip of just that skit in his act; but essentially, middle of the night, a 22 isn't going to deafen or blind you with muzzle flash.

If you're so enclined, it's at 1:01:00 of his stand-up special 

Edited by Skoodge

Ronin38 I am not trolling , I am laid up since last Wednesday with a broken leg with a steel rod in it, this is my 2nd surgery on my leg in the last 11 months. I have been surfing the net as I cant do much else right now . A lot of prepper sights and other sights highly recommend a 22. I have had a young man very close to me a MARINE executed shot in the back while he was on his knees handing a thug his car keys and wallet to the perp, he was eating birthday cake with my 8 yr old son on 6-3-06 and we buried him on 6-26-06 I think . He did this , because he had taken his wife out partying for her b day and they were pointing a gun at his wife. He only had 40.00 in his wallet . I know what a 22 can due with proper shot placement it went between his shoulder blades and clipped the top artery in his heart the bullet never exited .I guess I hate 22's . I would like to share a personal experience of my own . I farm and have several Great Pyrenees Mt Dogs I like my dogs and take good care of them . I had a female about 10 years ago that went crazy she would attack any dog or person beside's me and there are a lot of children that come around my house. I had to lock her up in one of those magnum kennels with a top , when she saw any kid she would go pyscho chewing on the wire and trying to dig out. My wife said you are going to have to do something with her or she is going to hurt someone . I like my dogs and she had been born and raised here , treats and petting and all the good stuff. I was afraid to try and give her somebody as she wouldn't let anyone pet her without growling at them and that's if I was holding her . I rote her name on 4 mini mags and went down put here in a pen and dispatched here[ it hurt because I liked her ] . I went to get my truck so I could take and bury her and when I got back [ if I never draw another breath ] she was standing up and she didn't like me after that , MIGHT BE ANOTHER REASON I DONT LIKE 22S . I walked back to the house and got my glock and fixed the problem . I took her to the back and buried her and all the rest of my dogs love kids she just went crazy. R.I.P LANCE COPORAL JOHNATHAN PRICE LEX KY

P. S. I still love my dogs as they are part of my family and have 6 of them and no I am not running a puppy mill most are spayed or neutered y'all be safe and watch over your children and your 6 as nobody else will

Wow... God bless you and your buddy's family and all involved.

You've had some tough stuff going on.

Heal up and I hope things get better for you.

I keep an ice pick (less than .22 cal) handy for this exact same argument and the "less than buck/slugs" argument. Let me stab you 10 times with it and see how game you are after that.

Sorry man I am pretty game but I guess you could try the icepick , but I plan on livin a little longer and my defense might kick in in that case I would probably empty my Glock 26 and we would both be a little sore . The point I am asking is why do so many other websites recommend them as a survival/ home defense / and hunting gun.I do understand there are good uses for them I just feel there are better options and bullets out there .I had a Ruger LCP 380 that you had to squeeze the trigger for a mile and didn't know when it was going to go off . I paid 318.00 for it and felt like I was taking advantage of the dealer when I sold it to him GOD BLESS AND BE SAFE

I've heard in the caliber wars that 22lr is first with kills just because EVERYONE had one.

That gets said a lot, and also for other calibers such as 9mm, .54 minie etc. The truth is that it is impossible to prove or disprove. No one has ever compiled the data of what firearm or caliber has killed the most in just about any situation.

Everything else is just conjecture. My dad was sort of the first responder to a shootout on a beach in which several people were killed by a .22. Most of them had been shot by pistols and hunting rifles, but apparently the coroner said that the fatal shots had all been with a .22. 

As for the recoil and concealment, the person with arthritis could probably handle a 9mm carbine pretty well. .380 an 9 conceal as well as older .32 autos now. If you can hang on, either is a much better choice.

I think the main answer to the OP's question is either because it is all they have, or because they have worked very hard to convince himself that they are really good with a .22 and perform well under stress with it- and couldn't with anything else. Usually they have only handled .22s and maybe one other firearm that they found unpleasant or hard to handle, while they had an easy time making hits with the .22. Usually they assume that not only will it be reliable, but that they will have the luxury of rapidly stacking a dozen shots on top of eachother in a 1" group while the attacker waits. I've talked to a few who were serious about this, and pretty quickly the conversations end up like talking to a middle school kid in a karate class about how he would take on 3 attackers.