• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Point of it? It is a lot of fun to shoot with a very satisfying KABOOM! and puff of smoke to let you know you just nailed that 4" target at 100-300 yards. Just plain fun with instant gratification,

A fool and his leg are soon parted.

Talking about banning something because (even though it's safe when used correctly) there are idiots and malicious people who do stupid, dangerous and deadly things with it is a bad line for us to tre

Posted Images

People need to have respect for anything that goes KABOOM!

I could not care less about the asshat blowing his leg off, him and friends were playing with fire and someone got burned.

The Libertarian in me thinks people have a right to be stupid if they can do so with only harm to themselves.

I read that earlier online and just snickered while thinking "dumbass".

But this little boy was innocent, it was their job to protect him from harm, they all need to be charged, tried and have the book thrown at them.

Not just the guy that pulled the trigger, they were all criminally negligent.

http://5newsonline.com/2015/02/08/explosion-in-sequoyah-county-injures-two-people/

Man Faces Manslaughter Charge After Explosion Kills 8 Year Old
Posted 6:32 pm, February 8, 2015, by Shain Bergan and Daren Bobb, Updated at 08:25pm, February 10, 2015

phelan-boy-killed.jpg?w=640 View Gallery (3 images)

SEQUOYAH COUNTY, Okla. (KFSM) – A Sequoyah County man was arrested Monday after his eight-year-old cousin was killed in an explosion over the weekend, the sheriff says. Three others in the family were also arrested on suspicion of lesser charges.

Brandon Martin, 22, faces a manslaughter charge after Sheriff Ron Lockhart said he fired a high-powered rifle at an outdoor stove full of the explosive material Tannerite in Liberty, Okla. The stove exploded and critically injured Jonathan Phelan, 8, who was struck by flying shrapnel. That boy died early Monday morning after being taken to a Tulsa hospital by a medical helicopter, Lockhart said.

Martin was booked into the Sequoyah County Detention Center on Tuesday. His bond hearing is set for Feb. 18, according to a jail deputy.

A separate 22-year-old man also suffered serious injuries and was transported to a hospital in Fort Smith. He remains hospitalized, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

Tannerite is an explosive agent sold in many gun stores.

Lockhart said Martin’s parents, Fred and Mary Martin, were arrested after they admitted to lying to investigators to cover for their son. The boy’s uncle, 30-year-old Paul Griffin, was also arrested on suspicion of obstruction of justice after also lying to cover for Martin, the sheriff said.

Lockhart said Griffin initially told investigators he was the one who placed the Tannerite in the stove and shot it. An investigation revealed Martin was the shooter.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 4

Perhaps just the first tiny drops in the leading edge of the coming mega tsunami of anti Constitutional anti Second Amendment political bullshit we will have to endure?  After all, it is an election year.  Need to keep the dumb shit sheeple stirred up.  Some of them even vote.  No .... wait .... too many of them vote.

As far as the stupid gentleman playing stupid games and winning stupid prizes ... "photos or it didn't happen".  I wonder if his buddies had good trauma training?  Then one could maybe say ... "hey ... I was just pulling your leg".  I wonder if they will be able to re attach it.  Bet it will leave a scar.  Follow up stories?

Edited by HB  ex FF PM, emergency room RN.  Gallows humour. smile.png

Edited by HB of CJ

I understand the firecracker attraction ...boom thats cool

But, and its a BIG but....so many stupid people just do the most moronic shit.

Generally the innocent are the ones that pay the price.

It seems to me the intellect of the average citizen is plummeting daily    

• Like 2

A possible nominee for the 2016 Darwin Awards! That video reminds me of “Tex” Grebner, a local legend from Washburn IL. This video will show you why: “Tex” Grebner shoots self in leg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3kJ6SU3ycs

This video shows funny/scary real life incidents with people who shouldn't be near guns, explosives, scissors, or sharp pencils.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPJVF-w0We8                       

Two special mentions in this epic film; Mr. Jr. Badass, from "Jowsey", who's filming a video to intimidate some rivals, and at the very end (almost literally) a gentleman who should give a prayer of thanks that he's still alive. He reminded me of a little kid who looks down into a garden hose when you shut the faucet off, and the water doesn't come out.

Edited by El Cabron

People need to have respect for anything that goes KABOOM!

I could not care less about the asshat blowing his leg off, him and friends were playing with fire and someone got burned.

The Libertarian in me thinks people have a right to be stupid if they can do so with only harm to themselves.

I read that earlier online and just snickered while thinking "dumbass".

But this little boy was innocent, it was their job to protect him from harm, they all need to be charged, tried and have the book thrown at them.

Not just the guy that pulled the trigger, they were all criminally negligent.

http://5newsonline.com/2015/02/08/explosion-in-sequoyah-county-injures-two-people/

Man Faces Manslaughter Charge After Explosion Kills 8 Year Old
Posted 6:32 pm, February 8, 2015, by Shain Bergan and Daren Bobb, Updated at 08:25pm, February 10, 2015

phelan-boy-killed.jpg?w=640 View Gallery (3 images)

SEQUOYAH COUNTY, Okla. (KFSM) – A Sequoyah County man was arrested Monday after his eight-year-old cousin was killed in an explosion over the weekend, the sheriff says. Three others in the family were also arrested on suspicion of lesser charges.

Brandon Martin, 22, faces a manslaughter charge after Sheriff Ron Lockhart said he fired a high-powered rifle at an outdoor stove full of the explosive material Tannerite in Liberty, Okla. The stove exploded and critically injured Jonathan Phelan, 8, who was struck by flying shrapnel. That boy died early Monday morning after being taken to a Tulsa hospital by a medical helicopter, Lockhart said.

Martin was booked into the Sequoyah County Detention Center on Tuesday. His bond hearing is set for Feb. 18, according to a jail deputy.

A separate 22-year-old man also suffered serious injuries and was transported to a hospital in Fort Smith. He remains hospitalized, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

Tannerite is an explosive agent sold in many gun stores.

Lockhart said Martin’s parents, Fred and Mary Martin, were arrested after they admitted to lying to investigators to cover for their son. The boy’s uncle, 30-year-old Paul Griffin, was also arrested on suspicion of obstruction of justice after also lying to cover for Martin, the sheriff said.

Lockhart said Griffin initially told investigators he was the one who placed the Tannerite in the stove and shot it. An investigation revealed Martin was the shooter.

Well said. 

In addition to the danger, a lot of people vandalize public and private land with tannerite. It gives the rest of us a bad name, and was cited as a specific reason one of my local shooting areas got closed down.

Beyond the harm that these morons do to themselves and others, there is an even more obvious concern.

If it were up to me, the stuff would be off the shelves yesterday.

Point of it?

It is a lot of fun to shoot with a very satisfying KABOOM! and puff of smoke to let you know you just nailed that 4" target at 100-300 yards.

Just plain fun with instant gratification, much like shooting steel but with a bigger reward.

I don't think it should be outlawed nor heavily regulated, we've already more than enough Nanny State crap.

All of the problems with it are from serious and criminal negligence/mischief, disregard for common sense safety measures and general stupidity.

If someone misuses it and hurts someone else or damages property, then the courts should be waiting in the wings with a big body slam.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 9

I don't see the point of it either.  It frankly seems a bit childish to me.

But there are a great many things people do that I don't see the point of.  Things that seem mindlessly dangerous.  Like motorcycle wheelies at freeway speeds and base jumping.

I take a libertarian view.  If it isn't hurting others, it's none of my business. 

Unfortunately, as in so many things, irresponsible assholes etc etc etc.

I will not advocate banning it, but anybody who endangers others or destroys property not their own should be harshly prosecuted.

• Like 4

Wow... That is really stupid.... What exactly did he expect to happen??

It says right on the containers to stay at least 100 yards away from a single charge. Three pounds in a metal casing would put the safe distance at something like half a mile.

Seems like putting it in a metal casing (or lawn tractor) makes an NFA item... At least it seems logical, since it is a bomb with shrapnel, not an explosive.

• Like 2

We have shot off the stuff and it is really fun.  Much more fun than reactive steel targets.  Expensive however.  But ... one must employ common sense.  We will leave the quarter stick 60% TNT targets for others .... unless it is 1000 yards away.  Yikes!

• Like 1

The first time I experienced tannerite I was shocked that the stuff was legal. I also live in a state that forbids the sale of fireworks. Tannerite can be bought off the shelf but I cannot buy even sparklers for the kids on Independance Day.

I was at a private range a few days ago, which has 5 separate perimeter bermed areas. I got settled in at the furthest one from the entrance and heard a decent boom. I instantly thought of when someone had set off a significant amount of it (I heard about this from the property owner), which rattled the windows of neighboring homes and scared the hell out of the property owner. I didn't know if something like that was coming next and I had never heard the stuff before and had no clue if what I just heard was a thimble full or a gallon. I went to go see what was going on and they were actually using it responsibly. They had about 10 or so of small containers spaced well apart on a berm about 60 yards away and did not have them encased with anything. I look at it like drinking beer. A beer alone is harmless,  but if you drink a keg of it things are likely going to get out of hand and the effects could be devastating given the right circumstances like losing a limb or killing someone, even yourself. I can't help but wonder what the guy who blew his leg off thinks about it now. His prize is getting to explain how he lost his leg for a very long time. It looked like he was inside of 80 feet with that. Colossally stupid move....

ETA: I half ass watched it as I was doing something else earlier. 43'? Whoa! I'm not sure there is a word that describes that level of stupidity. He was clearly not a thinker, reader, or researcher. I hate that the guy lost his leg, but at that distance he is lucky to be alive.

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 2

Talking about banning something because (even though it's safe when used correctly) there are idiots and malicious people who do stupid, dangerous and deadly things with it is a bad line for us to tread. It's basically the same argument certain people are using to advocate banning a certain something else.

• Like 7

Oddly, I learned from my grandfather how to take stumps out of the ground using the Timothy McVeigh recipe right around the time he was born. I knew, even at 7-8 years old that flying heavy objects will kill or maim you.

Step 1. Stay back

Step 2. Aim well.

• Like 1

I've shot Tannerite.  I see the fun in it. 

Then again I learned shooting at aerosol cans(paint, brakeclean, ect) and old propane tanks for torches or camp stoves.  FYI when shooting propane tanks over a fire or near one make sure its empty, did have one rocket up in the air once, we were 50yards away, and lesson learned.

Reactive targets is probably what made me like shooting. 

When I take my son shooting for the first time.  I'll line up beer cans/bottles, old paint cans, ect for him to try to hit with the 22.  Make it fun.  Better then shooting paper targets, that and I dont have steel targets to shoot at so I use what I have around.

I Occasionally  shoot exploding targets, its fun.

I DONT shoot TRASH!!!

That kind of shooter is why so many un-official shooting areas get closed!!!

Places covered with old appliances, Broken glass, cans, and all sorts of garbage.

And now the "I pick up all my trash lies can begin"

BH762 

• Like 1

Plain and simple, I'm too thrifty to pay for exploding targets. Any money that could go for that is much better spend on ammo and reloading supplies.

At the last gun show I was at, the one pound targets were $30.00.

Smaller ones were quit a bit less.

Im sure it is fun, but I would rather spend the bucks on more ammo, Or dinner at TUCANOS Brazilian Barbecue  

I Occasionally  shoot exploding targets, its fun.

I DONT shoot TRASH!!!

That kind of shooter is why so many un-official shooting areas get closed!!!

Places covered with old appliances, Broken glass, cans, and all sorts of garbage.

And now the "I pick up all my trash lies can begin"

BH762

I do pick up all my trash and my brass (honest)

Oddly, I learned from my grandfather how to take stumps out of the ground using the Timothy McVeigh recipe right around the time he was born. I knew, even at 7-8 years old that flying heavy objects will kill or maim you.

Step 1. Stay back

Step 2. Aim well.

You too!  Mine taught me how to make NG dynamite and detonators.  Blasting rocks and stumps is fun!

The more you deregulate explosives, the faster you clean out the gene pool.

Explosives are serious fun.  You're dead serious till it goes kaboom, then it's FUN!

"We don't worry too much about catching bomb makers, because they usually blow themselves up."  Dane County Bomb Squad.

In the Gaza Strip, about 10 bomb makers die a week due to work accidents.

• Like 2