AGP magazines a good buy?

Ok I'm new to the Saiga-12 (have a S308), I just picked up a 19" version a few days ago and the shop just got in some of the AGP mags so we tried it out. The mags wouldn't seat in my S12, it looked like the ribs at the top of the magazine were preventing it from being fully inserted in the rifle. So I did some reading here and noticed there could be other things that prevent it from working. Is it the norm for these mags to require work to get them to function, or is it the exception?

Just trying to see if I will be buying a headache or not.

Thanks!

they all need to be broken in.

all 8 of mine did this.

I found the best way was to seat the mag and gently force the mag release into place.

Some are harder than others. If they are too hard lightly sand the catch and try again. It takes a couple minutes to get each one right.

Another thing the first two mags I bought I sanded the notch that seemed to be holding it up and they dont feed as well as the others because it seats too high in th magwell and certain high bras stuff catches as the bolt chambers a round.

The others that I did the mag release wear in method dry cycle and fire everything perfect.

Edited by killasoundz

Don't change the gun to match an aftermarket mag. File the lower side of the rear locking lug on the mag til the catch will come forward and lock it in place. Don't mess with the ribs or you may run into the same problem as above. They were put where they are for a reason. Some people have had some trouble with the followers not coming all the way to the top without slowing under friction from the sides. This can be remedied with a little sanding and some dry lube like graphite.

Most of these mags work fine in most Saiga 12's. You have to keep in mind that although these are great shotguns and they are in a class by themselves. However due to the way they are manufactured, they are not all exactly the same and have differences in tolerances in several places.

Last I checked, a week ago, AGPs do NOT work out of the box. You need to re-mfg the follower, which I do.

That statements a little off. The new ones do work out of the box, very nicely. I would have bought more when MAA was having their sale, but those pesky drums came a long and took all my funds. :devil:

Last I checked, a week ago, AGPs do NOT work out of the box. You need to re-mfg the follower, which I do.

That statements a little off. The new ones do work out of the box, very nicely. I would have bought more when MAA was having their sale, but those pesky drums came a long and took all my funds. :devil:

THANK YOU, finally someone with something positive to say about the AGP ten rdrs. At first it was everyone's wet dream. They just couldn't see how their gun was even useful with a five rdr and were not resourceful enough to obtain a factory 8 rdr. So they all fell in line for a new product that was and still is one of the best things to happen to the S-12. Still though, there are many people who expect too much and love to drag AGP and their mags thru the mud with posts ragging on their lack of reliability. WEll GROW THE FUCK UP PEOPLE! It is a NEW product still and ALL new products that are designed for such a sometimes fickle and inconsistant machine like the Saiga is subject to possible problems. This is a given if you know anything about them. AGP ten rd mags are not like other mags you can buy for your S-12. They are US made though, and they hold more rounds than any other stick mag you can lock in there. As they continue to be produced, they continue to improve. You guys that are buying those cheap mags from MAA aree getting just what you pay for... :rolleyes:

I have 10 AGP mags, they all work great for me in both Saiga 12, I have, the took just a tiny bit of tweeking to get working 100 percent, I have used them in 3 tactical shotgun matches this summer and not had a single problem with any of them or my gun for that matter.

I've got x6 AGP 10 rounders and have NEVER had ANY problem at all, and have NEVER had to modify one at all. I do have a newer IZ-109 though, so any problems are most likely going to be with the gun its self, especially older ones. I think the s12's are getting better with trial and error on the manufacturers part. I'm sure they hear of what goes worng with their designs and adapt to fix them problems, like any mfg. of any type of product.

Ok I'm new to the Saiga-12 (have a S308), I just picked up a 19" version a few days ago and the shop just got in some of the AGP mags so we tried it out. The mags wouldn't seat in my S12, it looked like the ribs at the top of the magazine were preventing it from being fully inserted in the rifle. So I did some reading here and noticed there could be other things that prevent it from working. Is it the norm for these mags to require work to get them to function, or is it the exception?

Just trying to see if I will be buying a headache or not.

Thanks!

absofuckinglutely worth it

I can't vouch for reliability or anything, but I was at a gun show in Roanoke, VA this past Sat. and one of the vendors there had a big box full of them for sale (for $12 or $20, can't remember, I don't have an S-12). They also had several S-12's for sale there in the $350-$450 range. So they're available...

I bought 2 from MAA... they don't lock tightly into the magweel and one has a lot of friction at the top causing jams on last 4 or 5 shots. I already took one apart and graphited the hell out of it, I gotta do the other one, and see how it turns out. I assume they'll feed fine now. Either way, gotta have em.

Short answer: HELL YEAH!! Mick P. and I were buying the Russian 8-round mags from England years ago at near $100 a mag and you would often have to tweak those mags as well. The Russian 8-round mags had a photocopy note included in the packing as to how it should be done and where. Some AGP mags may need a little filing inside just below the feed lips to prevent the follower from binding near the last round or two (IMHO: BIG DEAL!!). Overall I am delighted with the AGP mags and only wish I had the clear or smoke color mags instead of black.

I started competition 3-gun matches over five years ago with a stock Saiga-12 without pistol grip and only 5-round mags. Now I have a true last round bolt hold (thanks Jeric & Mike D.), pistol grip front and rear, folding buttstock and AGP 10 round mags. That's what I call evolution in action!

heck i paid $600.00 for 4 (8 rd mags). so a little sanding when the agps hit my door, oh well. i am happy :wub: to bad kevin doesn,t come back to play though.

Wonder if anyone ever bought those molds for the steel mags?

I just won an auction on gunbroker for 6 of the AGP magazines, but I wont be finding out for sure how they are until I get my Saiga 12 to put them in. I'm going to call to order a Tromix on 9/1.

I'm also ordering a drum mag from MD Arms now. Not the first time I've bought ammo, parts or mags for a gun I don't own yet.

Today I took out my AGP 10 round magazine to the range for its first trial. But before I say anything about that, I have to mention that I have a plain vanilla Saiga-12 with the 22 inch barrel and no bolt hold-open. The only thing different from stock is that I have added a red dot scope on a Belarus scope mount.

1. Initially I filled the magazine with 2.5" shells. I was able to seat the magazine with the bolt closed by turning the shotgun upside down. But the first round wouldn't feed. Neither would the first in a nine load. When I downloaded to eight rounds, it fed and so did the rest without problems. I was thinking of asking for a refund but I persevered.

2. The second time it took nine rounds. To my surprise, the third time it took ten and the first round fed. So those of you who have said it needs "breaking in" know what you are talking about.

3. Regardless of how much I downloaded it, I could not get 2&3/4 inch buckshot to feed at all from it. That's too bad because I still have more than a hundred rounds of S&B I bought on sale. I guess those will have to go in the five round magazines when the zombies cut loose. The AGP will have to be loaded with 2.5" buckshot.

As usual, the Saiga simply blew away the targets on the 50" combat shotgun range where I shoot. I almost got called down by the range officer, because rapid fire isn't allowed there (why? Don't know, but it's a well-run range, so I go there anyhow).

As they continue to be produced, they continue to improve. You guys that are buying those cheap mags from MAA are getting just what you pay for... :rolleyes:

Okay, I'm new to the S12 world -- so bear with me.

What's the deal with the MAA mags? Are they cheaper because they are "earlier" versions and prone to more problems (as described throughout the thread?)

Is it a case of "if it seems to be too good to be true ($20 cheaper), it probably is?"

Coming from the AK and pistol world, $60 a mag seems pricey, but if they work and they're the only choice then it becomes the cost of doing business.

Thanks for any info.

Jim

even a new car has a break-in period and things can go wrong

my one and only agp has been great

evrytime you dump a mag... you can shake powder residue out of it like a pepper shaker

that adds to friction as well... not to mention paint sluff from the gun

point being evryone is dimmenishing the reliability of the mag with every trigger pull

and that is all that has troubled mine

as for inparidel... well... listen to the guys that are in the competitors corner most of all

they turn their s12 hobby into a tool they use and rely on more than myself and most of you

hell... they have to pay to enter a tournament... that's who convinced me

happy shooting... more mags the better

Well I picked up a couple and loaded them up with some Hornady TAP just to check manual function. I couldnt fit the full mag on a closed bolt with reasonable effort. With an open bolt the mags require a little bit of an extra pull straight back to lock it in with a distinct "click". When manually cycling the action it had no problems loading. I can't wait to take it to the range tomorrow and run it thru its paces.

I also took off the plastic endcover to the stock and slipped on a Medium sized Limbsaver sleeve in preparation for tomorrows beatdown. While it is tempting as hell to convert it, I have to admit I'm considering leaving it as is with perhaps a Cobra Rail and a modified foregrip to attach a vertical foregip to.