NEW IMPROVED LRBHO DESIGN

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just found this. This was one thing I wasn't crazy about the s-12, and you are addressing it. Knowing how you stand up for top notch products, I know I can buy this product with confidence. Which if this hobby, gun or this forum are going to grow, it will be from people having great experiences from products offered HERE!

BTW-> I plan on getting the MagWell, now does that mean I don't have to mod my magazines or do I? I have a couple of AGP 10 round clips I use as decorations only...... and my factory 5 rounders that I use :rolleyes: . Will these all work? Or will I have to mod one are the other to make them work?

• 2 weeks later...
do you have an eta on the lrbho yet :unsure:

No. I'm still waiting on a magwell right now to finalize my prototype design so it can be sent off to be mass produced.

That part will likely take a little time too so people are going to have to be patient. It will not be anything like the wait for the new mags or any other new product that involves injection molding. These will be steel and should be quick to re-produce once they have my prototype in hand. Just sit tight. I talked to Mike the other day and he is sending me a magwell (one of only two he has) so I can get on with my R&D.

Below is from post #55 in this same thread (second page). It should clear things up for those who only read the top page...I will post any updates I have just as soon as I have any.

"So this LRBHO will engage when the mag is empty and remain engaged when the mag is released? Sounds VERY-NICE!"

YES it will.

"Do you need to modify your mags or gun other than installing the new BHO in the same place as the old BHO?"

I'll try to answer this as best I can.

That is part of what is taking so long right now...

The way my proven design, that I've been using in my gun for two years, works... YES. There is a small and very easy modification to the follower that must be done in each mag you want to use to activate the LRBHO. Unlike the other available one however, with mine you can also use unmodified mags in your gun after installing the device, and it will still function normally, it just won't lock the bolt when the unmodded mag runs dry. BUT you can still use the manual tab to engage it whenever you like, you just have to count your rounds down if you want to lock it back on your last shot.

Now what I have been doing lately (when time allows) is redesigning part of the device to work without having to do any mods to the follower so it will be easier for everyone and less parts to have to make and install. I am also trying to make sure it will function right with Mike's new mags and magwell, as well as his bolt release lever, so there is a small delay til I get all that worked out. I'm waiting for Mike to send me a magwell to be sure the angle is right. I already have the Russian 8 rd mag that goes to the magwell and as far as I can tell the new design will work with that but until I actually get a magwell to install and test it I won't know for sure.

I do know that the AGP mags are harder to work with than the factory mags, due to the difference in thickness of the rear part of the mag at the top. It's looking like these for sure will need the follower modification. This mod isn't just something you dremel off, it's a part that must be added to it. I was hoping to eliminate that but it is not looking like that is going to be possible, at least on the AGP and maybe the factory mags. The problem is when you rock the mag into place the conventional way, the part that I'm trying to redesign is catching the shell rim on the topshell and engaging the BHO. I have a couple of ideas to try and fix that but I need time to play around wit it some more. With Mike not having a magwell available to me at this point that gives me some more time to wok on the redesign.

I could go to production right now on my currently working design but that would be taking a shortcut. The idea here is to put out something that will work in everyone's gun and need no further mods to work with the new products as well it is already working in my gun."

Cobra I have seen a number of references to Mike D's Mag well and the new mags he has coming out with,

Now what I have been doing lately (when time allows) is redesigning part of the device to work without having to do any mods to the follower so it will be easier for everyone and less parts to have to make and install. I am also trying to make sure it will function right with Mike's new mags and magwell, as well as his bolt release lever, so there is a small delay til I get all that worked out. I'm waiting for Mike to send me a magwell to be sure the angle is right. I already have the Russian 8 rd mag that goes to the magwell and as far as I can tell the new design will work with that but until I actually get a magwell to install and test it I won't know for sure.

but I'm a little confused, are you saying that Mike will be manufacturing a "NEW" type of mag that must be used in order to use his mag well ? Will the older AGP (Gen 1 and Gen 2) work with his mag well together with ALL factory 5 rounders and 8 rounders ? I know this is probably a dumb question and it's about another persons product not yours but like I said I was a little confused so I though I would ask anyways.

BTW I have a Tony Town (I love that descriptive :rolleyes: ) build date of approx. Feb or March of 2009 and I asked Tony if he would be willing to install all these neat little bells and whistles on my build if available by then (mag well, LRBHO, extended mag release, and bolt release lever) and he said he would if I could get them to him, might be the time for you and Mike to talk business with Tony for a TROMIX package deal :dollar: .

Yes gmorgan, Mike IS building some new drop free mags to go with the magwell, as well as some other ones for guns without the magwell.

Here's his thread about them.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=19436

You'll have to ask him about the different setups for different mags. From what it sounds like, there are going to be two different kinds though.

• 2 weeks later...

Cobra,

Ok, I admit I didn't read this entire thread, but how hard is this LRBHO install? Does it require cutting the reciever or drilling something? I'm planning on getting my gun converted and was wondering if I should hold off on the conversion until your LRBHO is ready.

Thanks,

Jake

Cobra,

Ok, I admit I didn't read this entire thread, but how hard is this LRBHO install? Does it require cutting the reciever or drilling something? I'm planning on getting my gun converted and was wondering if I should hold off on the conversion until your LRBHO is ready.

Thanks,

Jake

Wow...deja vu...lol!

Jake there's nothing about the PG conversion that will work against the LRBHO install. There are no mods to the receiver to install the LRBHO and it can be done to an already converted gun. (Assuming your gun already has a factory BHO, if not you will need to cut a small slit in the receiver for the manual button) As long as you already have a BHO, and you can put it back in after the conversion, you have what it takes to install mine. If anything you may have to take a tiny bit off the length of the sleeve if you have a G-2, but I will probably relieve the BHO for that instead, to avoid that extra step for the consumer.

Now depending on which mags you want to use with it, you may or may not have to modify the mags a little. This is no big deal at all though. I'm expecting my prototype magwell tomorrow or the next day so I will be able to better address questions about that by next week.

Scoutjoe, and everyone else... thanks for your patience. It will not be much longer now. Once all the parts have had a chance to be tested together, and I'm sure no further changes have to be made to my already working prototype, they will be going to production. Steel parts do not take as long to make, nor have the problems of injection molded parts to slow down production. Unless I get held up by a patent thing, it should all come together fairly quickly from here out.

Gentlemen,

Take your time. I started converting my third Saiga 12. Duracoat, Jard trigger, C-more red dot, copy of sKotts' trigger guard and safety stop. I'm trying to make the Duracoat finish look as perfect as possible. The Jard trigger was really for a AK-47 so I have been doing extensive modification.

But don't take too much time! The next 3-gun match on the Space Coast (in Florida) is in 3 weeks.

Actually, I'm just kidding. You are our only hope. We have to treat you with respect.

Please please please

• 2 weeks later...

I will be needing two as some point, also a mag well I would like to do a major upgrade on both the S-12 in the house I want both guns to run with the same magazines. Cobra I will be in touch shortly.

• 3 weeks later...
Cobra,

Thanks,

Jake

Wow...deja vu...lol!

Jake there's nothing about the PG conversion that will work against the LRBHO install. There are no mods to the receiver to install the LRBHO and it can be done to an already converted gun. (Assuming your gun already has a factory BHO, if not you will need to cut a small slit in the receiver for the manual button) As long as you already have a BHO, and you can put it back in after the conversion, you have what it takes to install mine. If anything you may have to take a tiny bit off the length of the sleeve if you have a G-2, but I will probably relieve the BHO for that instead, to avoid that extra step for the consumer.

Now depending on which mags you want to use with it, you may or may not have to modify the mags a little. This is no big deal at all though. I'm expecting my prototype magwell tomorrow or the next day so I will be able to better address questions about that by next week.

Scoutjoe, and everyone else... thanks for your patience. It will not be much longer now. Once all the parts have had a chance to be tested together, and I'm sure no further changes have to be made to my already working prototype, they will be going to production. Steel parts do not take as long to make, nor have the problems of injection molded parts to slow down production. Unless I get held up by a patent thing, it should all come together fairly quickly from here out.

How's it coming?

LRBHO update....

I've been getting more PMs (lol...sounds just like PMS!) and emails and posts lately asking for an update on the LRBHO.

No kidding right?...

I don't want people to think I have dropped the ball or anything, and want to again remind everyone that it's not vaporware! The damned thing was working perfect, even before Warfield Armory released their version a long time ago, and is still working perfectly in my gun, the only gun that has one in it. (actually 2 of mine)

What has been taking so long is the fact that it had to be redesigned to work with Mike Davidson's products. I feel this is very important because a large majority of new Saiga owners are going to opt to go with the magwell, and drop free mags system. If I released it like it is now, it would be great and I would finally start to see a return on all the hard work I've put in, but only from people with the soon to be "old fashioned" rock and lock system. I believe it's worth a little extra time to get it to work with BOTH.

Now for the bad news...

I have lost my patience and I'm throwing in the towel...sorry guys, I can't handle the pressure.

NOT!!!

hahahahahahahaha

Sorry, couldn't resist..lol!

Progress update......

I have the Russian magwell and drop free 8rd mag now. I have the prototype for the new MD Arms Bolt Release. I'm almost done tweaking my design to work with both of these and with a small alteration, be able to still work with the regular rock and lock style guns and mags.

Somewhere between my house and OHIO there is a mail truck with a box on board addressed to me. In that box is the final piece to the puzzle! A 20 rd DRUM MAG for the S-12!!!! :devil::super: (one that actually WORKS!)

Hopefully by today or Monday I will be able to start trying to find a way to get my device to work with the drum too. I'm staying optimistic, even though I'm not sure that's going to be possible due to the difference in the follower on a drum vs. a stick. I have a WM drum here to try it too but it's so different in design (luckily...) that I can't base any observations on that.

Now that Mike is done with the hard part and the waiting for the drum he will be able to recoup some of his investment and move on to work on these other pressing projects so we can all be happy soon. Poor guy is gonna be spending a lot of time assembling drums and packing / shipping boxes though....It's a good thing most of the work is done on the other parts that are going to all come together with my LRBHO to revolutionize the S-12 as we know it!!!

Begging for your patience just a little longer guys....

Hopefully soon you will all get some groovy new toys to keep you occupied while we get the rest of this stuff together... :smoke:

have you by chance started a list of those wishing to purchase the lrbho? If so would like to be in for two units. I have to ask what are the chances the lrbho will work on the 20's and 410's?

Thanks for all you do.

No list going yet, no time to manage it.

Will start one just as soon as the design goes off to the MFG. I'm planning to make a LOT of them in the first run so there shouldn't be a problem with who gets in first or whatever. Unlike plastic mags, steel parts can be made much more consistent and much faster so a repeat run will be right there hopefully before the first one is sold out.

Chances are very good for the other Saigas too, S-12 comes first though since it's the most popular. The others will be very similar so I will only have to make a few small changes to the system which will already be in place. No prob.

You're very welcome!

Without all of you it wouldn't be worthwhile.

:super:

Somewhere between my house and OHIO there is a mail truck with a box on board addressed to me. In that box is the final piece to the puzzle! A 20 rd DRUM MAG for the S-12!!!! :devil::super: (one that actually WORKS!)

Not to change the subject, but if its ok with Mike, run some rounds for us through the drum and let us know how you like it.

I know how a woman thats 10 months preggo feels now, this waiting shit is killing me :haha: