Saiga-12 recoil for women?

I saw a presentation about Saiga-12s at a preparedness event and I really want one of these shotguns. At 5'8" I am not short, but I am thin, and the only 12-gauge I ever fired just about knocked me over. I could barely remain standing after five shots and my shoulder hurt quite a bit. Does the Saiga semi-auto mechanism reduce its recoil in a way superior to a 'conventional' 12ga. semi-auto (like a Beretta 1201)?

I am not interested in the other calibers.

Thanx!

Edited by Jennifer
Yes, the Saiga-12 gas system soaks up a lot of recoil. It feels much closer to a 20-gauge than a 12. 00-buck and lower velocity slugs (Wolf, Brenneke) are quite pleasant to shoot.

The wife is pretty comfortable with the S12

shes about 5'6" 125 lbs..... hope that helps....

YES, that helps a lot. And it settles it. If I can find one for under $500 (not likely, I bet) I'm getting one. Thanks fellerz

Good posture and stance will help immensely. So will the confidence and experience from shooting other guns. I would not recommend a 12 gauge to a sheer novice, but as far as 12 gauges go an automatic like a Saiga will recoil less than a pump or break-action. Keep the buttstock pulled tight, remember to breathe etc. The Saiga will be tolerable, though perhaps not pleasant. Just be careful not to develop in involuntary flinch, 'cause those are hard to cure.

My wife is a better shot with a rifle than I am. She put 100 rounds through a Mosin 91/30 wearing only a t-shirt and didn't feel it until the next day!

bruised.jpg

My wife is a better shot with a rifle than I am. She put 100 rounds through a Mosin 91/30 wearing only a t-shirt and didn't feel it until the next day!

bruised.jpg

Excuse me, but when you have time , could you please give me directions to that range where women wear "only" a Tshirt while shooting. :024:

Sorry, just couldn't resist ;)

Cheers, HarvKY

Took one of my friends out to shoot my S-12, she is smaller and a thinner build. She didn't have a problem with it as long as she had it in her shoulder good.

I have a video of it now if I could just figure out how to post it

I saw a presentation about Saiga-12s at a preparedness event and I really want one of these shotguns. At 5'8" I am not short, but I am thin, and the only 12-gauge I ever fired just about knocked me over. I could barely remain standing after five shots and my shoulder hurt quite a bit. Does the Saiga semi-auto mechanism reduce its recoil in a way superior to a 'conventional' 12ga. semi-auto (like a Beretta 1201)?

Thanx!

The AK action has a lot more mass then the beretta so it has less recoil. what helps a lot is more mass, inertia - bodies at rest want to stay at rest. At www.brownells.com you can order a mercury tube with will cut down on the kick.

I hide mine by epoxy'n it in to the tube of my collapsable stock. I also ported my barrel and added a compensator. the tube reduced the most.

Welcome aboard Jennifer. Nice to have another woman join the ranks who likes to shoot! Compared to other 12 gauge shotguns, the Saiga is very mild on recoil, especially with low brass target loads.

My girlfriend is only 5' 5" and about 105 lbs and she has no problem at all with my S-12s. In fact the only bruise I've seen her get looked a lot like the one above (nice one! ...lol) and was from putting an 8rd mag full of slugs through my Saiga 20 ga. (wearing just a tank top). That small steel butt plate on a real AK stock is not very forgiving to bare skin. If I can just get her to improve her shooting stance some, the S-12 will even be less of a problem. Right now it looks like it's knocking her all over the place but that's just because she isn't leaning into it enough.

Let's see if I can figure out this video imbed thing....

http://s224.photobucket.com/flash/player.s...;</embed>

get somebody to put a good recoil pad on the Siaga and you wont notice anything. There are things that can be done to reduce felt recoil, muzzle breaks, mercury recoil reducers, good recoil pads (such as Kick-Eez), and under bra pads like this bra pad (my mom uses one of these for cowboy action shooting, and REALLY likes it).

Or you can just get used to the kick (that's the method my wife choose, she shoots my SxS 12g coachgun in CAS competitions, she's just not real sensitive to recoil).

Buy a gun and have fun. :)

ML Roak

Welcome Jennifer, good to see more distaff blasters! The S-12 is mild for a 12ga, but like everyone says pull it in tight and lean forward. The Idea is keep good tension on your shoulder with the but, so both recoil together and the but doesn't "hammer" you.

I would add that starting out with 2 3/4 low brass bird shot may help, as it doesn't kick as bad as the more powerful shells do and you can take the time to get used to the shotgun before working your way up to more powerful shells. Remember that the low powered shells are shot on gas setting 2 (unless you are lucky and get a shotty that will cycle them on setting 1)

Just a thought. Have fun!

Hello, Jennifer

My wife is small, as well (5'-2") and I have to practically put a full-nelson on her rto drag her away from it, once she gets started.

I have the 1" thick Ace recoil pads on both of my S-12's, with Ace stocks, and I think that soaks up quite a bit, as well.

For just trying it out, the largest (XL?) "Limbsaver" shotgun recoil absorber will fit snugly over the stock S12 buttstock. Those seem to really soak-up the recoil well.

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

Hey Guido2, I have the same problem with the wife. Once she gets started

shooting, before i know it, she's blown through most of my ammo (00 Buck,

HP Slugs, Sabot Slugts, Wal-Mart shit). My wife was born and raised in Deutschland

and never handled a gun until we moved back to Tx. So If she can handle a Saiga

I think just about anyone can. Hell I like my Saiga's more than my SPAS12, Rem 870

Police Magnum and Franchi Lawman 12. :smoke:

I would definately suggest getting a recoil pad if the saiga you shoot has a colapsible stock.. The checkered butstock on those can be a real meat tenderizer..

My 16 year old daughter (110lbs) can shoot my s-12 leaning forward just as 1911 stated.. Get in a safe area where aim isn't crucial, tighten the buttstock to your shoulder and just fire a few rounds down range familiarize yourself with the recoil to eliminate the "flinch". The aim with come with practice...

Welcome aboard!

FWIW, that video is from a year ago. Got my stance a little better now. I was basically new to shooting at the time. I love it now.

And welcome Jennifer. Good to see another woman on the forum.

Thanx!

part of my want to say: "ya know, I'd have to see some better pics to accurately gauge how the recoil would affect you", but being a married guy, I'd feel kinda guilty. So.......I won't say that........I'll let one of you single guys do it instead ;)

Preparedness? Preparadness for what ???????

Thanx!

This little girl in pics used Saiga in one week-match and complained mostly about difficulty of mag inserting and nose heavy balance. Nose heavy gun made her to lean back and made the stance unnatural. Recoil wasn't raised to be an issue as with Browning A-5. Browning Gold however was lighter and as tame as Saiga.

BTW, Saiga had buffer and was fed with 28g slugs and birdshots. Oh, and being lefty Saiga blew some smoke on her face. ...She didn't like that feature much. ;)

Wei with Gold

Wei again

Me with heavy Saiga

-JumiKuula aka JamShot

EDIT: Darn! "Share photos..." :angry: Let's try ImageShack:

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1430/weite4.jpg

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/8896/wei2ah0.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3963/saihi0.jpg

Edited by JumiKuula