13 years is a good long life for a white boxer...

Pete has had diabetes for around a year and a half... and was nearly blind.

his organs just started shutting down.....

Still, it don't make loosin' your best bud any easier...

He was a gentle giant and a big baby...

Dumb as a box of rocks in all the good ways... I got to laugh at least once a day for 13 years.

he was afraid of just about everything...

at 100lbs... it was cute and pitiful.

like the old saying goes...

God, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am...

thanks Shannon... and I will..

once i can talk for more than five words without blubering like a school girl...

just give max an extra hug tonight....

and you guys.. give Willie and Sampson (And all the other doggers I forgot names of) hugs as well

Gun people (most the time) are dog people as well....

I'm so jorry Juggernaut, and my heart goes out to you. No words I can offer will ease the pain of losing Pete, that is something only time can do. Be thankful for having had those 11 years, the love you shared for each other during that time. I dread the day when I must face the loss of Yukon 'Bill', my siberian husky. He is just 7.. we have maybe 5-6 years left together, but that time will fly by in the blink of an eye. Be well brother.

I had to post on this thread the Drew started. Petey was THAT dog. AAww...a sad day. But it really was for the better. He took a huge turn for the worse yesterday. We knew we were getting close to the end. He was not suffering at all, because if he was suffering we would have put him down earlier. He still had a great quality of life.... heck he laid on the couch all day and slept. He would get up to eat, go potty outside and bug the heck out of you for his treat in the evening. He will be sorely missed!!

Petey let us know that it was time for him to go. Not to be graphic but When he threw-up black/maroon paste we knew it was not good. (I guess it was blood.) And later on like 1:00 am it came out the other end and once again around 3:00 am. He hung in there until the very end. We called the vet first thing this morning. He could not even walk. The vet had a hard time finding a vein with blood in it. His blood pressure was real low. It was just time. We had a lot of time to say goodbye and get some closure. So that is good, where as Indy......you had no idea your dog would be gone....sorry for your loss!!

Petey outlived all his siblings by a year or so. We were hoping that we could do it after James (Drew's son) came home from U of M for Thanksgiving break but Petey just got too bad.....so we had to tell James over the phone. So that was our last 24 hours. I was able to stay home from work, which was good for Drew because this hit him hard!! Drew and Petey were together 24/7. He is hanging in there and me too, he was like our kid....13 years day in and day out. Tomorrow morning will be weird for me, because I always let him out in the morning and gave him breakfast and his insulin shot and a pain pill and now that part of my routine is simply gone!! Too weird!!!

We are very thankful for the years we had with Petey and we will see him in heaven one day.

Thanks for all of your support.....you all are the best!! Have a GREAT Thanksgiving.

Take care and God Bless,

Lorie

post-5498-1227583140_thumb.jpg

post-5498-1227583439_thumb.jpg

Lorie we are here for you too gal. I'm so sorry for your loss. 13 years is a long time. Sending good thoughts your way now....

You and the rest of the family have a great Thanksgiving and God bless.

BTW Max got a special treat tonite in Pete's honor.

Drew and Lorri,

While I haven't had to go through what your going through my heart goes out to you. It does come down to a quality of life issue for them though. If you need anything don't hesitate to drop me a line

Joe

thanks all you guys for being there...

I can't think of better folks to share the good times and the bad times with than all y'all....

If you'll accept condolences and sympathy from a noob, you got 'em from clear out in the Rockies.

Had a boxer/bull mastiff mix that was the goofiest, gentlest, and strongest dog I've ever known. Found him running around stray in Chicago one Christmas Eve, and we always hoped we managed to balance the hardship of his earlier life with the good years he had with us. The vet figured he was maybe 5-y-o when we found him, 6 years later he developed lymphoma and it got bad fast, maybe a month. My heart goes out to you, they're family.

You have my deepest sympathy, the loss of a friend is always the hardest. From the pictures he looked like a character and a half. But, life goes on, just remember him in the best of ways, everyday think of the silly, goofy, funny stuff that he did, and he will always be with you.

My best friend is named Odin, he's a shepard/lab mix and 10 years old this christmas and he has been my rock through thick and thin. So I know what you mean by your best bud. Here he's getting his favorite ear scratchin.

All I can say is it gets better bro, it will take time and a major adjustment, but always think of the good things. He's in heaven waitin on his treat.

post-8836-1227615155_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gothmog

I know how sad you are and my sympathies to you.

I have gone through the same feelings as you are going through, our animal friendships are much deeper than our human friendships.

But to not let him suffer anymore is a hard but wise decision to make.

You will always remember him and thats what is important.