My personal NG happen YEARS ago when I was a teenager. I had, and still have, a Ruger, tube feed, .22lr rifle that I was in the process of unloading by racking the small charging handle to eject the rounds. This was before I was formally instructed in weapons handling and more excited to have a weapon.

Well, in the process of ejecting the rounds I must have miscounted because after I "thought" I had emptied all the rounds out of the tube I pulled the trigger and "BANG!" I put a hole in the ceiling and the round lodged in a 2x4 in the attic. Yeah you can say that I ALMOST CRAPPED my pants as my mother ran up the stairs screaming! Well, I was grounded from going shooting and not alowed to touch my rifle for a month as my punishment. Looking back I see that as hind sight. Increased weapons handling and instruction would have been better.

My observed "BIG TIME" NG was here in Iraq. While climbing a berm someone on base had a loaded M203, 40mm Gernade Launcher, with the safety off! As the story goes he was using his rifle as a means of support when his hand slipped down the handguard and his finger caught the trigger and..."THUMP!" Luckly the round landed on a remote section of the base with zero injuries. This individual is not report to be in country any more. :cryss:

What I have learned and continue to pratice to this day:

1) Treat every weapon as if it were LOADED!

2) Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to SHOOT.

3) Keep the weapon on SAFE until you intend to FIRE.

4) Keep you finger straight and off the trigger until your READY to FIRE.

Weapon safety is especially important now in Iraq as every swinging dick and split tail is walking around with not only 1 but sometimes 2 weapons and a minimum of 2-6 mag's each. Couple that with a dumb ass, young minded, I'm Super Man mentality, some hostility and I've been here too long, person and you never know who may or may not have a round in the chamber....accidental or not.

No discharge but was showing my brother my Ruger 22/45 and before I handed it to him I checked the chamber. Plop out comes a round, we both look at each other like holly shit. I hadn't shot that gun in at least 1 year and it went though a move!

Edited by Racer 27

when I was much younger,...I got out my old bolt action Mossberg 22 LR to shoot off on the 4th of july.

Wahooj

My sweetie told me it was unsafe and illegal, to do so,....but I had been drinking,..

Swinging it around the kitchen (pointing at the corner and floor) I said,... see it's perfectly safe, because the safety is on, you can pull the trigger all you want and it won't go off,..

then I pulled the trigger,,... I really thought the safety was on, but those little red and green dots, IN MY OWN defense I really am color blind,..

I shot a hole through the 3/4" Oak Floor and almost hit a water pipe, never found the bullet.

Scared the crap out of the dog and everyone else, including me! then the screaming started,.

but luckily,.. is was only me getting yelled at for being an ass.

then I unloaded the gun, put it back in it's case, and locked it up.

Hole's still there, when I mop, water drips down into the basement,......................................

:ded: :ded: :ded: :ded: :ded: :ded:

About 25 years go, at an outdoor range an inexperienced young kid fired a 45 ACP 1911 colt next to my left ear. I was told by the range master who witnessed the accident that the gun was approximately one foot from my ear. He just walked up slightly behind me and to my left and took a shot. I was to the right of him and forward, had just removed my hearing protection because the range master had ordered a cease fire command, I don't remember why. The shot resulted in permanent severe nerve damage and diminished range of hearing in my left ear. After this incident I've learned to never remove my hearing protection.

Years ago I was working on an old Volunteer Arms "Thompson" Copy. It looked a lot like a Thompson A1 SMG, but was a semi auto. Anyway I was upgrading the furniture to a vertical fore grip and I left the gun laying on my work area. The owner of the firearm stepped over while I was gone and put a mag in the firearm, played with it a minute, then put it back on the coffee table where I was working. Little did I know that he had jacked a round into it.

I should have checked, but I was sure that I has cleared the firearm, and when the HBO logo came spinning across the screen I proceeded to kill a brand new 25" Color TV. Luckly it was his TV! :D

To this day I double check them if they leave my sight.

When I got my first gun, I was out shooting skeet at a friends house. A spider caught my attention and I looked down and took a step back. I brought the gun down with my eyes, and it slipped forward, and there was suddenly a hole where my foot had been not a half second earlier. I almost blew my own friggin foot off. On a side note, that spider was toast.

That incident taught me quite a bit about gun safety. Like focusing on the gun, and putting the safety on.

When I was about 12, my oldest brother and I were rabbit hunting one day. He slung his 12 guage behind his neck somehow and apearently had his finger on the trigger, well he damn near blew my head off. We NEVER went hunting together again.

The closest thing to an AD that I ever had was:

At the trap range I was ready to go, gun pointed at the trap house, and as I called "Pull" i also shot.... PULL-BANG!.... I missed the bird... i was working on getting the bird faster and ended up putting some #7 1/2 into the house LOL

Most of you have probably seen this, but this thread topic just begs for this link to be posted........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE3QAeYRk-A

There are TONS of videos out there but please only post YOUR personal, involved in or witnessed, stories. I believe more can be learned from what has happen to one another rather then watching youtube.

Thanks everyone so far for sharing your stories! :super:

When I was about 12, my oldest brother and I were rabbit hunting one day. He slung his 12 guage behind his neck somehow and apearently had his finger on the trigger, well he damn near blew my head off. We NEVER went hunting together again.

:eek:

Glad to have you with us! Geez! No fighting or anything?

I'm assuming no injuries came of the situation?

:eek:

Glad to have you with us! Geez! No fighting or anything?

I'm assuming no injuries came of the situation?

He was to big at the time for me to take, I did consider for a moment shootin his ass, but he's my brother and mom told me I had to love him :chris:

No injuries, just a little anger at the time, thank God :angel:

Luckily the only accidental discharge incident I was a part of involved an air gun. One fine day when I was 12 and my brother 11, my brother was fucking around with a CO2 powered pellet gun that he "knew" was unloaded. He pointed it at my chest and pulled the trigger. It fired and I got some new lead in my flesh. I got to break out the tweezers and go prospectin for that pellet. I kicked his ass afterward. :boxing: I still have a scar on my chest where the pellet lodged. I'm just glad my foolish bro wasn't pointing that air gun at my face that day.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I have one, but its not exactly an accidental discharge. When I was 16, I decided to cut school one day. My friend had built from scratch a 22 cal pistol (zip gun) and the way it worked was you put a primer cap on the end of a nipple, and with the load packed in like a muzzle loader you pull the trigger and the primer sends the ignition through the nipple into the barrel. Well my friend shot several rounds without issue, and when it was my turn, when I pulled the trigger the primer fragged into small pieces, one hit my squinty eye, right in the cornea. Blood started pouring out and I went to the emergency room. Well needless to say, cutting school and shooting my eye didnt please my parents much. The eye doctor said that if the frag had been 2 mils to the right, I would be blind in that eye. What was really weird is that it actually improved the vision in that eye. I went from 20/20 to 20/15. Sort of like lasic ;-). The same friend has now decades later become a very competent gun smith and he helped me with the saiga 12 conversion. Just goes to show that in all cases like accidental discharge where people dont get hurt and my example, there is a little bit of the big guy upstairs watching over us.

My folks finally deemed my older brother to be responsible enough to get a pellet gun at I think around 10 y.o., but it was kept in their closet and we could shoot it only when accompanied by my father. We both waited patiently for the next rare occasion when the folks left the house together for a good chunk of time, pretended to continue watching TV from the couch as the car disappeared down the street, and then made a mad dash for the closet as soon as they rounded the curve.

Spilled out the back door together, scanning the yard for something alive or "wrong" to shoot. Nothing. My brother settled for the dog's empty food bowl, right in front of us. At least it was shiny and would make noise when hit. Ricochet off the bottom of the bowl, then off the side of the bowl and straight back in my brother's face, giving him a bloody welt right smack between the eyes. Not sure if his tears of rage were from making a fool of himself in front of his little brother or from the shame of nearly becoming the proverbial kid who put his eye out with a BB gun. But that was my formative experience with negligent discharge and the need for proper firearm safety.

Got a few, only one involves myself, and it was just a close call.

I was sitting on the couch at the house, fooling with my Kel-Tec p32. If the gun is not chambered (in battery, is the term, I believe), you can pull the trigger and it doesn't have any tension. I had popped the mag out, and pointed it at the ceiling and started to pull the trigger, I felt tension, and stopped, and realized that there was a round in the chamber.

This one involves a friend of mine. He was asleep in bed, with another friend asleep on the couch in his room. He woke up, and saw his PPK sitting on the table next to the bed. The magazine was out of it, and there was a round sitting next to the magazine, so he assumed that it was safe. He pointed it at the ceiling and pulled the trigger and BAM! shot a hole in the ceiling.

Another friend of mine just recently shot his finger off with a Taurus .45 millennium. I don't know how he did it, but they're out camping, my other friend said he's outside the tent pissing, and hears the gun go off. Other guy comes out of the tent with his finger hanging on by a few threads, and says " I think I shot my finger." :lolol: Well no shit, I think you did too. So they pack up the tent, get on the boat, and take him to the hospital. The reattach the finger, he had to have some sort of surgery on his knuckle to fix it, though.

The closest thing to an AD that I ever had was:

At the trap range I was ready to go, gun pointed at the trap house, and as I called "Pull" i also shot.... PULL-BANG!.... I missed the bird... i was working on getting the bird faster and ended up putting some #7 1/2 into the house LOL

That's actually not so uncommon. Saw it happen once during skeet. The next dozen birds to come out of that house were already smashed to bits.

Well, about 4 months ago I got a nice FNP-9M in DAO (double action only) and I loved the gun but the trigger pull was horrible. I would always dry fire around the house to loosen it up a little, needed to be broken in. Well, one day after coming back from shooting, I was cleaned it first, then cleaned the sks. After cleaning the sks I picked up the pistol and not remembering I chambered a round after I cleaned it I pointed it at the tv (Man vs. Wild was on) and I pulled the trigger. Bam!! I KILLED BEAR GRYLLS!!!! and my tv. I had loaded in there Remington hollow points. The bullet shattered into pieces lodging in the ceilng. The fragments also ripped through the blinds and cracked the window. Needless to say, I am VERY careful when handling firearms and I NEVER have a round chambered in the house. I have since sold the FNP9-M. I always double and triple check my weapons before handling or showing people.

Edited by AZ-DAVE-IZ109

When I was 16 I had a Savage 308 that had a very light trigger.

I was getting ready to take a shot at a target going for group size. Had my finger on the trigger taking up tension. I decided my breathing was off and I needed a little break before shooting a new group.

Took my finger off the trigger put it on safe and a gripping the for end set the butt down on the ground, BLAM!

Not really an ND/AD but more a mechanical failure.

I also have a Marlin Mod 60 that I also had at the same time and after shooting it quite a bit was used to the stiffer trigger. I switched to the Savage during a range session, got on target was aiming and then put finger pressure on the trigger like I do to take up the slack on the Mod 60. I hit the paper but hadn't intended to fire quite yet.

Well I decided the rifle was a hazard an had a gunsmith replace the trigger assembly. I also sold the rifle a few years later. No matter what I did to it I could never get it to group better than 4 inches at 100 yards.

I've been witness to a few AD/NDs, involving an Enfield, several M4's and a MK19.

Actually I did just think of one that happened about 6 weeks ago.....

A buddy and I were at the gun shop/range to pick up his new XD .45 and try it out. I brought my Baby Eagle .45 too as I was due to put in some range time with it. So we each go through 50 rounds with our own guns and then he says he wants to switch guns to compare.

I loaded up a mag for him, racked the slide to chamber a round, but for whatever reason I de-cocked the hammer. I left it in the stall, told him "It's ready to go." and walked over to his stall and I started loading a mag for the XD. At this point I will say that my gun is a DA/SA whereas the XD is only SA.

So I have the XD loaded and am about ready to try it out but I look over and see my buddy fidgeting with the gun and a look of confusion on his face. I put down the XD and as I get up behind him I see him holding the gun at an odd angle as he is pulling the trigger in slow motion! Just as I'm about to shout "WTF are you doing?" to him, he fires a round into the wall, sound proofing material goes flying, etc. We both look at each other wide-eyed not knowing whether to laugh or go see if the shop owner got hit. As I figured though the range has "idiot-proof" walls and the shop owner never even noticed.

My first guess at the time (and he later confirmed) is that his XD has a short consistent trigger, while my gun as a long/hard pull on the first DA shot (if the hammer is not already cocked) and he was confused by the feel of the trigger. I have no idea why he would point it up at the wall and look at the side of the gun while pulling the trigger though. He had already fired my gun once before and was not a total noobie to firearms, it really surprised me that he did that.

Makes me feel even more stupid about another "could have been bad" incident with him. A month or so before the above event, I was at the range with him and another buddy while the two of them were fidgeting with the other guy's 9mm Glock. I came over to see what was up, stepped around so I could see, and it took me a second to realize I had put myself between them and the targets down range! All the sudden I'm looking down the barrel of this 9mm with these two morons playing with it. I quickly stepped aside of course but I was not happy with myself about letting that happen. They never even noticed anything was wrong.

Then I put the two events together and I consider myself lucky not to be 6ft. under in a box right now. :rolleyes:

Edited by Spartacus

Ok I'm not sure if this completely negligent, but one time I was at the range with a friend and my old flintlock long rifle, which he had never seen or fired before. I loaded it and prepared it to fire while he watched from my left side

Then for some reason as I shouldered it, he moved over and sat down at the bench to my immediate right. I thumbed the hammer to full cock and removed my feather from the touch hole. I was focused on the front sight and setting the trigger. Focus on breathing... gentle squeeze, and just before I touched it off he leaned in REAL CLOSE to see how it worked. CH-THOOOOM! He got a face full of stinky smoke but nothing worse.

Edited by aresv

I have a few, actually, all in sheer STUPIDITY.....which ive learned from....since an early age....

My first was racking my marlin model 60 a good ten times (at a very young age), and testing the trigger, after I reassembled it....BANG. yeh I was surprised, and thought I had checked it. I have seen NUMEROUS 22LR stick in chambers, especially after being closeted for a while.....

the one thing i noticed with all AD issues that *I* have ever had, was that I did not inspect the chamber with my eyeball......I have caught more "mistakes" than naught with this, and cannot say it louder......

I had one serious AD that didnt injure me, thank god, before leaving NY, about oh, 5 years ago, I want to say, and that was the first in ten years about, and I have not mishandled a firearm since......I had a round cooked off that i didnt think was in there (lost count and didnt check, aka EYEBALL IT, and i THINK i dropped the hammer on it, then walked back to the start line and it cooked off halfway back) after some practice back home, was the last one. another inch or two, and it woulda taken my leg off lengthwise, as my PD rifle is slung under my right armpit.......

how many days till last accident is that? LOL thats better than most companies?!?! :) (if that round had gone off down my right leg, id be dead, to many's amusement, but i woulda died from it. sorry for the cheap joke)

sup sarge?

I took a buddy from work out to the range, he's shot a few times before but I was still watching him like a hawk.

I noticed he kept his finger on the trigger when he would look down or transition to another target. I didn't yell at him but I told him he gonna put a round through his foot if he keeps that shit up.

So I go to my bench to grab another rifle, as I walk back over to where he's at, he kinda looks at me and points.

"Dude, see that hole in the ground" him

"Yeah, why" me

"My foot was here" him He puts his foot about 2" from the hole.

"Did you leave your finger on the trigger again?" me

"Yeah" him

"Dumbass, you gonna do that again?" me

"No" him

The worst part would be explaining to our boss why Brain won't be at work for a while, he was stupid.

• 6 months later...

As posted elsewhere, shot my own dumb/n00b ass (literally) with an airsoft 1911 while practicing the "Hickock Cavalry Draw". (Being a southpaw with the usual gunshop only ordering righty holsters, I figured the Cav Draw would let me start carrying strongside with available holsters while seeking better.)

My personal NG happen YEARS ago when I was a teenager. I had, and still have, a Ruger, tube feed, .22lr rifle that I was in the process of unloading by racking the small charging handle to eject the rounds. This was before I was formally instructed in weapons handling and more excited to have a weapon.

Well, in the process of ejecting the rounds I must have miscounted because after I "thought" I had emptied all the rounds out of the tube I pulled the trigger and "BANG!" I put a hole in the ceiling and the round lodged in a 2x4 in the attic. Yeah you can say that I ALMOST CRAPPED my pants as my mother ran up the stairs screaming! Well, I was grounded from going shooting and not alowed to touch my rifle for a month as my punishment. Looking back I see that as hind sight. Increased weapons handling and instruction would have been better.

My observed "BIG TIME" NG was here in Iraq. While climbing a berm someone on base had a loaded M203, 40mm Gernade Launcher, with the safety off! As the story goes he was using his rifle as a means of support when his hand slipped down the handguard and his finger caught the trigger and..."THUMP!" Luckly the round landed on a remote section of the base with zero injuries. This individual is not report to be in country any more. :cryss:

What I have learned and continue to pratice to this day:

1) Treat every weapon as if it were LOADED!

2) Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to SHOOT.

3) Keep the weapon on SAFE until you intend to FIRE.

4) Keep you finger straight and off the trigger until your READY to FIRE.

Weapon safety is especially important now in Iraq as every swinging dick and split tail is walking around with not only 1 but sometimes 2 weapons and a minimum of 2-6 mag's each. Couple that with a dumb ass, young minded, I'm Super Man mentality, some hostility and I've been here too long, person and you never know who may or may not have a round in the chamber....accidental or not.

My personal NG happen YEARS ago (20 to be exact) when I was (30) a teenager. I had, and still have, a (Remington 870) Ruger, tube feed, .22lr tube feed, (12 Gauge) rifle that I was in the process of unloading by racking the (forend) small charging handle to eject the rounds. This was before I was formally instructed in weapons handling and more excited to have (The) a weapon.

Well, in the process of ejecting the rounds I must have miscounted because after I "thought" I had emptied all the rounds out of the tube (not thinking) I pulled the trigger and "BANG!" I put a hole in the ceiling and the round lodged (I don't know where, in the floor above maybe???) in a 2x4 in the attic. Yeah you can say that I ALMOST CRAPPED my pants as my (friend was wide-eyed) mother ran up the stairs screaming!

Sorry I couldn't resist. It sounded all to familar.