Walther P22 for Home Defense?

Dicks Sporting Goods sells a short 12 guage side by side shotty called a "Coach Gun" that is of good quality.

I've fired this shotgun and have to say it's a real honey.

I wouldn't recommened it for a first time shooter, the recoil is fairly strong, especially when you fire both barrels at once, which in the heat of the moment could happen easily.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I for one am glad to see that a bad thread never dies.

Thanks again to all who have contributed. Honestly though, I think it's time to start a new thread if anyone wants to continue talking about defensive firearms use. If I'm feeling especially frisky today (read: in the mood for another debate) I may just start another thread.

Until then: This thread gets my vote for going to the Trash Can.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not shoot at sounds or shadows......

If someone is in my house in the middle of night without my knowledge...and they do not answer back to my voice yelling out I AM ARMED...I WILL SHOOT YOU!!!

They will die.

My family knows to answer back to me a certain way (we have discussed this in great detail along with fire exit training) And other members of my family or friends do not come over unannounced.

You may argue that the bad guy will know your position if you yell or will pinpoint your position if you have a flashlight on your barrel....

but you may also argue the yell might scare him so much he runs or the light shining in his eyes will blind him....

I will not go after an intruder....grabbing my gun, defensive tactics and a cell phone 911 call will be my first actions.

my choice of home defense weapon 12 guage

Over here you have to be afraid for your life, and reasonably justified in that fear. That's according to the last lawyer I talked to. There are specific guidleines for defining "reasonable", but I don't remember all of them. The concensus at the gun shop (during a light-hearted discussion, no lawyers involved), was that it wasn't in your best interest to leave the perp alive to argue the point.

• 8 months later...

Best of both worlds?....

Taurus has nice revolver...shoots both 45 LC and .410 ga.

it is pretty good sized, but a a .410 revolver....nice.

i know there is another company that makes them....in a realtively small package....looks a lot like a snubbie 38 except for the cylinder being about 3 inches long....lol

would ruin a BGs day in a hurry....

RangerM9

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

NO NO I have p22 good gun if you can keep good ammo in it. Ammo brands that work good in my other guns dont work worth a poo in my p22. I just bought a brick of 500 rounds and I have to rack the gun each shot becuz the ammo is too weak to cycle the weapon.This is the second brand that works bad so far

• 6 months later...
NO NO I have p22 good gun if you can keep good ammo in it. Ammo brands that work good in my other guns dont work worth a poo in my p22. I just bought a brick of 500 rounds and I have to rack the gun each shot becuz the ammo is too weak to cycle the weapon.This is the second brand that works bad so far

I have a P22, the best ammo i have found is CCI minimag HP or High Velocity work great.

I once read that more people in civilian confrontations are killed with .22's than any other round. If thats true it's only because it is the most comman caliber for people to have in their houses. It will kill but certainly shouldn't be the round of CHOICE for defense. The shotgun is hard to beat, and the intimidation factor is tremendous. Sliderack or not, nobody likes to look down that big bore. That is provided there is enough light to see it. That is why I got rid of the .357 that used to stay beneath my matress. I had to use one night, on a porcupine who had decided my doorframes were some kind of treat, and the muzzelflash out of a 5" barrel was blinding. Since most confrontations do happen in reduced light, I decided a one shot attempt at defending myself was not what i wanted. I recommend shooting your home defense gun in the dark a few times and seeing if you can still see with whatever loads you use.

The reason more people are killed by .22's is that it usually does not exit the body. The energy of the bullet usually travels up or down the bone or the bullet and bone frag. This, as you may guess, does cause great internal truama. Still as noted before. It takes time to bleed out and most people die because of a lack of trauma care. I still would not bet my life on a .22. Mossberg 500 baby!

• 1 year later...
i keep my p22 rright next to my bed with a lazer on it set at 20ft.

I can't help it, but sometimes I have doubts about some peoples mental health. I you living at some freekin war zone or what?

Home invasion murder robberies are more common in small towns in the USA than the most dangerous parts of Europe and half the time the perpetrators don't even have a gun they just force their way in and start stomping the crap out of old people,house wives,college kids and much of the time they rape the women and then kill them to eliminate eye witnesses.They also like to kidnap people and take them to the ATM machine to withdraw their money then push the victim into the trunk of their own car and then take them to the country,murder them and dispose of their bodies.

This is quite common,my wife was an EM supervisor and had to listen to tapes of any 911 incedent that was not resolved by police/fire dept/ambulance and half a dozen of them were people forced into the trunk of a car never to be heard from again(at least until a body was found months or years later).

The more poverty,oppression and ethnic diversity you have the more violent crime you have.You are lucky to live in the freest nation in the world and have not had it ruined by foreigners,crooked politicians and business criminals.

Whatever,..

I have a Waltehr special edition (S&W)P22 and ,when I first got it I had a few FTE (Failure to eject) but after a few rounds,.... I have shot 2000 and up of 3000 + rounds through it with no problems at all between cleanings. The clips don't load as nice as some 22's,... the rounds look like crooked teeth in the mag, but they feed ok.

A quick back slap on the palm aligns the rounds correctly and with CCI Stingers (hollow points) I would not like to be on the other end.

With very little practice and some extra magazines one can drop 60 rounds in 60 seconds and with the "fit right in" factory red and optional green lasers available they are something else when sighted in!!

It does have some gooo gaaaas ambidextrious everything and an integrated key lock w/ a lot of German over engineering

But the long barrel is pretty acurate and the short one is too. I did have some problem with the long barrel extension comming loose after 500 rounds,

but one more thing,... that no one can deny,... is the legal supressor for $200!!!! a functional and legal silencer!

Buy the suppressor thread kits at Keeponshooting.com they also have fake supressors if you want to get the feel of the LONGER barrel.

Yeah, maybe not the pistol for the 2 shot bad guy stopper but lots of fun, accurate and cheap to shoot! and it makes a pretty loud noise too! :devil: :devil: :super: :super: :devil: :devil: :super: :super: :devil: :devil:

This thread was started some time ago. Did your friend ever decide? It is sad that Walther put the P22 out when they did. The first P22's made had lots of problems. The current P22 (which I carry in the field for small game) being made work well. Having said that I don't think you would be well advised to use a 22 for home defense. There are just too many options out there. There are a bunch of police carry weapons being updated at this time which make real good options. There is a lot of debate issues over the type/size of home defense weapons. Most don't consider when you would be using the weapon. I for one don't want to wake up and have to control a 44mag or a 12ga shotgun (way too much bang for a sleepy person). A good quality 9mm/380 will be much easier to handle, also give you higher capacity.

I'd rather see a new shooter get a 22 and shoot it a *LOT* than a 9mm, 40 Short & Weak, or 45 & put a box through it. Hits are the only thing that counts, and a 22 you have put thousands of rounds through is generally going to be easier to hit w/ than the 9mm which hasn't been out of the box for the last two years. 22 is a perfect gun for the new shooter. It's cheap to shoot, has low recoil, and almost no muzzle blast. It encourages good habits in shooting, but it instills confidence and competence. I don't think 22 is ideal for defensive purposes, but it fulfills rule 1. "Have a gun!" :super:

Hmmm - Really old thread...

Yeah - any functioning firearm is far better than no firearm, a malfunctioning firearm, a baseball bat, stern looks or harsh language - regardless of caliber.

I'd rather see a new shooter get a 22 and shoot it a *LOT* than a 9mm, 40 Short & Weak, or 45 & put a box through it. Hits are the only thing that counts, and a 22 you have put thousands of rounds through is generally going to be easier to hit w/ than the 9mm which hasn't been out of the box for the last two years. 22 is a perfect gun for the new shooter. It's cheap to shoot, has low recoil, and almost no muzzle blast. It encourages good habits in shooting, but it instills confidence and competence. I don't think 22 is ideal for defensive purposes, but it fulfills rule 1. "Have a gun!" :super:

Did my booze filled mind not read that right? 9mm hasn't been out of the box 2 years? I mustn't be reading it right. If anything i think the 9mm is the best starter round. I started with it, and i'm much more accurate with it than the 40 or 45. If the SHTF i'd much rather go with a larger round that i'm KINDA good with at short distance (probably all you'll need for home defense) than REALLY accurate with a wee round