Mossberg 500 or Remington 870?

I have a Mossberg 500 as a back to my Saiga, my only other shotgun, What do you guys think of the 500 in general ?

I read somewhere that a Mossberg is not as tuff as the Remmy 870 and that it would only last around 5000 rounds according to Mossberg's own service life claims.

A Mossberg is OK for a cheap shotgun that you do not intend to fire much. It is no where near the shotgun that the Remington 870 is!

One of mine that I used on-duty for over 10 years was my Granddad's, also a cop, and it was made in 1957. I have put thousands of rounds through it and I know that he used it heavily as well, both on-duty and for deer.

• Like 1

i've had an 870 express for over 10yrs and am perfectly happy. some people will say to spend more money and get an 870 wingmaster which has better finish and nice wood...or 870 police which has more rugged features such as a metal trigger guard instead of plastic and ghost rings.

a buddy has a mossberg 590. it's a nice gun, but the 1st thing i noticed was that the forend was pretty shakey, don't know if thats all 590s or just his particular one.

take down and cleaning on the 870 is easier. never owned a mossberg, but i hear that it can be impossible to extend the magazine tube without replaced the barrel too. all in all, i vote for 870. for home defense, if you can get a cheap used 870 police, go for it. otherwise you can get an 870 express, extend the mag and pick whatever stock makes you happy. the police model has ghost ring sights which are nice, but all you need is a front bead for home defense distances.

I've got an 870 Police and an 870 Express which has been upgraded with Police parts. I like both. I had a couple of Mossbergs - a 500 and a 590, but sold them. I like the feel of the Remington better. As a lousy mechanic and gunsmith, I find the 870 easier to work on. I do have a 930 SPX being customized, but it has been at the shop for about five months and I think it will go down the road when it arrives - leaving me, willingly, with no Mossbergs.

So, after all that (lawyers and Judges are a bit long winded) I say sell the Mossberg and go with the majority - buy more S-12s, or replace the Mossberg with a Remington.

Edited by WarriorJudge

My Mossy500 has ran flawless for over 10 years an who knows how many thousand round's. Taken many deer, turkey, and what ever else I have asked of it. I can go fron 18 defence, long choke, to rifled slug barrel in less than a minute. AND SHOOT WALLEYWORLD LOW BRASS without a hiccup all day long. It like's the slug's the best tho......

And all the Mossy hater's could be poser's from that glock forumn still cryin over spilt youhoo?

I would get the Moss500 over the 870.

I had a moss500 and loved it, Hated selling it.

And like Sly said you can go from HD to shootin trap to shootin deer in a few minutes.

I would like to get a new 500 but I'am waiting on my Cobra's choke I ordered so if I can dust them clays then the S-12 will be the last shotgun I ever buy untill the next best thing is invented.

I have a Mossberg that I've used for 15 years before I switched to carrying my S-23.

I had never given me any problems.

Also, don't confuse an 870 Wingmaster for a 870 Police.

They look identical but have a lot of internal differences.

Having said that, a whole lot of police departments have used the Wingmaster model with few, if any, problems.

Or, go REALLY old school and find a Model 37 Ithaca!

No matter what everyone says . . .

. . . this seems like a personal decision. You need to handle and, ideally, shoot them both. I own several 870's. It is my understanding that the Mossberg's are good guns, but I don't care for them. To me they feel cheaper and I don't like the safety. Like Modiano said, it is my understanding that take-down and cleaning is easier on the 870. You can swap barrels on the 870 too, so that should not be a deciding factor. And as far as getting the Mossberg based on it being used by the military, well, it reminds me of the saying, "Don't forget boys, your weapons were made by the lowest bidder." That being said, I have never seen one fail at the range.

I say go with the 870, but it is ultimately your decision as to which you like best. But if that "5000 round service life" is true, well that should give you your answer right there . . .

The Mossberg 590. It has a bayonet lug. Having said that, my S-12 Saiga is now my favorite weapon of ALL time. With a folding stock and drum mag, it is THE MOST BADASS weapon you could ever hope for, and it is SUPERIOR to the Mossy in every way, especially the break down and cleaning of it. What was the question again? lol. ( My S-12 will have HK tritium sights and a bayo lug soon. It and my Glock 10mm is all I need. Except for that remote control, and that chair, but that's all I need. Except for this thermos...)

My Mossy500 has ran flawless for over 10 years an who knows how many thousand round's. Taken many deer, turkey, and what ever else I have asked of it. I can go fron 18 defence, long choke, to rifled slug barrel in less than a minute. AND SHOOT WALLEYWORLD LOW BRASS without a hiccup all day long. It like's the slug's the best tho......

And all the Mossy hater's could be poser's from that glock forumn still cryin over spilt youhoo?

Mossberg! The shotgun preferred three to one by men that don't know a damn thing about pump shotguns!

Edited by Azrial
  • Like 1

Mossberg! The shotgun preferred three to one by men that don't know a damn thing about pump shotguns!

Wow. I hate these 'this or that' threads. They always end up with people getting mad.

When it comes down to it, they're both perfectly good shotguns. There's not enough of a difference between the two to start cutting each others throat over which one is better.

If you really want to split hairs over which one the military picked 10 years ago, which one has a shaky forend, which has plastic/metal saftey, trigger group, trigger guard or whatever, buy them both and you'll never be dissapointed.

If you want my opinion, the mossberg is fine, it does the same thing as the 590.

/thread

Edited by PVT Pablo

The military went with Mossberg because of the ambidextrous safety. They also happen to use the 590, not the 500 or god forbid the shitty Maverick.

The Remington 870 Express is comparable to a regular Mossberg 500. Once you step up to an 870 Wingmaster or Police, the equivalent has to be the

Mossberg 590. Mavericks are a step below even the 870 Express.

The main distinction for me is: where do you want the safety?

Ambidextrous on top of the receiver: Mossy.

Crossbolt behind the trigger guard: Remington.

Like HarvKY, my "sporting" shotgun is an 870 Wingmaster that was made in the 70's, has tens of thousands of rounds through it, and is still running like a champ.

You can buy an HR Pardner pump shotgun that is basically an all steel 870 clone and be miles ahead if you can manage to find an old police trade in Remington.

Afterall a pump shotgun ends up collecting dust in a closet or the trunk of a car once you own an S12,LOL

Wow. I hate these 'this or that' threads. They always end up with people getting mad.

When it comes down to it, they're both perfectly good shotguns. There's not enough of a difference between the two to start cutting each others throat over which one is better.

No, they are not. This is not some new age school yard and we can not all get a gold star in soccer.

This is the kind of post you see all the time by guys that walked into a department store, found the cheapest pump they could find, and now want to feel like it is "just as good" as the Remington, solely because it is what they own.

When you buy shotguns in the 100's and have to maintain a working inventory you begin to notice which ones hold up and which ones you are having to buy parts for and repair. You also find out real fast from all the bitching which ones work best on duty.

If you really want to split hairs over which one the military picked 10 years ago, which one has a shaky forend, which has plastic/metal saftey, trigger group, trigger guard or whatever, buy them both and you'll never be dissapointed. ...

The Mossberg was used during the Viet Nam war for two reasons, price and availability. They needed a bunch of cheap shotguns and Mossberg was able to fill that contract. If you look in modern federal arsenals you will not find many department store Mossbergs.

I am not mad a bit in the world, there is no reason to be. I just hate to see people passing out bad advice in an feeble attempt to validate their own feelings of inadequacy from buying a sub-standard firearm.

Lets all meet for a beer sometime! :beer: I will enjoy a Sam Adams and you are welcome to whatever white can generic "beer" swill you found on sale at the local Packy-Mart convenience store. :haha:

• Like 1
Lets all meet for a beer sometime! :beer: I will enjoy a Sam Adams and you are welcome to whatever white can generic "beer" swill you found on sale at the local Packy-Mart convenience store. :haha:

Come on now, Azrial, let's keep it to guns and not get too personal. ;) I like my cheep beer (Budweiser), it gives me more money for guns! :D

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, one of the best beers EVER!

Since many bars don't have it, I usually get either Blue Moon or Yuengling.

...Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, one of the best beers EVER!...

Perhaps... if you have a vagina! :haha:

Fruit has no place in beer. The only Sam Adams I really like is their red-label Boston Ale, (not the far more common blue-label Boston Lager).

I prefer western micro-brews, (New Belgium, Mendocino, Rogue, Stone, etc..).

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Thanks Azrial I will also have....

The first thing you notice when pouring a glass of this seasonal beer is the color. Samuel Adams Octoberfest has a rich, deep golden amber hue which itself is reflective of the season. Samuel Adams Octoberfest is a malt lover's dream, masterfully blending together five roasts of barley to create a delicious harmony of sweet flavors including caramel and toffee. The beer is kept from being overly sweet by the elegant bitterness imparted by the German Noble hops. Samuel Adams Octoberfest provides a wonderful transition from the lighter beers of summer to the winter's heartier brews.

IMO it really does not matter for the simple fact that you have a S-12. You already own a Mossy so keep it. If you sell it and buy a 870 then you would be spending money that could go to something else you may want. I also would not worry about how many rounds you can get through the Mossy because you have the S-12. I have put 0 rounds through my Mossy since getting a S-12....I think it is starving & it may NEVER reach 1000 as long as I have a S-12 or 2 or 3 :D

It seems to me that people often fail to differentiate between the various models of 870s. Simply put the newer express guns are not on par (or anywhere near it) with a wing master. I own multiple 870s and a mossberg. I also know and shoot w/ people who own exemplars of each. My preference would be a wing master. Old ones can be had for less than new express guns. I wouldn't feel bad about having a 500 however and I don't buy that the express 870 is really any better, many people even prefer the 500, often because of the safety location it seems. Your skill set will matter much more than whether you are holding a mossy or an 870.

You can buy an HR Pardner pump shotgun that is basically an all steel 870 clone and be miles ahead if you can manage to find an old police trade in Remington.

This. Pardner's are cheaper too. Google them and you won't find any bad reviews. (Unless you can't deal with the fact that it's made in China)

I picked one up for a little over $200 NIB. All 870 accessories/parts fit, except the barrels.

you know what bud both will do the exact same job!! of course u got ur pros and cons on both but it all boils down to what u like?? some of the vs would be

the 500/590s have the top safety instead of the push switch(870)

the 500/590s have the mag feeding tube open easy for loading and the 870 doesnt

the 500/590s has a longer mag and heatshield factory installed

the 500/590s are compatable with lots more shottys then remington

and last there about alot cheaper in price

the 870s are well made and some of the mossberg pump actions have one moving action rods instead of two like the 870s

the 870s have the push safety instead of the top safety which means if the safety messes up on the mossberg thats it (and from what i heard they do mess up after awhile)

the 870s have a shiny glittery grey coat instead of the rough parkerized finish

the 870s are all steel barrel and tubing unlike mossberg i think its like a cheaper metal that will mess up if not taken care off(the life spand)

the 870s has magnum, police, wingmaster, and tactical models and the 500 are just about the same but with differnt barrels, grips, stocks etc....

i know like half the ppl here say the same thing which is "neither buy another s-12" but honestly if u already have one even two u dont need another i mean dont get me wrong i luv the s-12 but my other shottys spend the same time shot as the s-12. i've seen ppl with like 5-8 now thats just hobby time i have 2 one converted and the other un, i dont need another. but i do have a remmy 870 marine magnum the cadillac of 12 gauge pumps and from what i've seen the've gone up in price almost 700. when i was 23 i bought my first 12 gauge for 100.00 it was a maverick 88 short barrel i added a folding stock and heat shield sold it for 250.00 then bought a cruiser 500 8 shot nib for 240 with that money it was awsome i added a knoxx sidewinder kit (10 rd drum) and knoxx stock and sold that one for my first s-12! then bought a 870 express home defense for 300 pimped that one out and sold it for 400 then finally i got what i really wanted an 870 marine magnum well worth it. i got a hot deal i ended up paying 449.00 on GB all u have to do is keep ur eyes open for good deals and you'll find what u want. i'm still missing another pump i'm leaning towards a benelli m3 i dont want another saiga or a spas-12 and its too much hassel to own a striker/streetsweeper so i'm just waiting for a cheap one to pop up :rolleyes:

S12s are great guns. But, I like the Mossberg for specialized functions. There's a billion different types of shotgun ammo out there. While I don't think I'll ever need to shoot flares, LTL, or exotic stuff, these are all things that would be a severe pain in the ass to shoot from an S12.... remove the mag, single load, fire, manually eject if needed... 00 buck and slugs are great in the S12, but just to have flexibility with other ammo, I think a pump is a great idea. When we originally went gun shopping, we were looking for a Remington 870 and ended up buying a Mossberg 500 instead. We bought our first S12 with the price savings of the 870 + extras. Except for price and availability of accessories, the only other really big difference I see is brand loyalty.

Which one is best? I think the answer is... the one you are able to grab when you need it. For torture and use testing, I'll defer to military and law enforcement to have the ability to choose and use them often enough in different situations enough to tell me. So far, it seems pretty evenly split... and by that I mean, everyone starts out with a first and then eventually upgrades to their dream gun.

So far, I haven't seen anyone come on the board and say, "Man, after years of suffering and saving, I finally got a Mossberg 500/590!" C'mon, it's a good basic shotgun. By the same token, I've never seen a thread titled, "Which sucks more: Moss5/90 or Remington?"