If there may only be one...

I'm in the situation where I can have only 1 gun for the time being. My wife and I are putting money away for the kids college fund and our vacations, but I find it neccessary to have a firearm in the house. We agreed to only have one for now. I want a fun gun for shooting, for home defense, and for a SHTF situation. I've been wanting a Saiga 12 for a long time, but I'm not sure if it's the best fit for my needs. I have ~$950 to spend, and I got a quote from PFI guy for a converted saiga12 with gas ports reworked and a new plug for about $940 ish. The other guns I'm considering are the Glock 21 and the Springfield XD(M) .45acp or XD(M) 9mm. I know this is a wide range of guns to choose from, but if you could have just 1 gun, what would it be? How about just 1 of the choices above?

Thanks,

Ryan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With $950;   Get a Remington 870. ($300) A Mosin Nagant. ($100) And a Glock 19. ($450)   Spend the extra $100 to buy flowers/dinner for your wife for buying 3 guns.

Glock 17. Mags and ammo are common and you can find a good used one fairly cheap.

cheap pump for house and a light weight revolver to carry   revolvers have no safety, mag, or slide to tear up your wifes hand   If you don't have it with you it's not much good

Posted Images

I'm in the situation where I can have only 1 gun for the time being. My wife and I are putting money away for the kids college fund and our vacations, but I find it neccessary to have a firearm in the house. We agreed to only have one for now. I want a fun gun for shooting, for home defense, and for a SHTF situation. I've been wanting a Saiga 12 for a long time, but I'm not sure if it's the best fit for my needs. I have ~$950 to spend, and I got a quote from PFI guy for a converted saiga12 with gas ports reworked and a new plug for about $940 ish. The other guns I'm considering are the Glock 21 and the Springfield XD(M) .45acp or XD(M) 9mm. I know this is a wide range of guns to choose from, but if you could have just 1 gun, what would it be? How about just 1 of the choices above?

Thanks,

Ryan

Home defense, the shotgun wins hands down. Family defense for every occasion, rifle wins hands down. You don't even need a pistol at all if you can only have one gun, see my sig line.

I don't like the saiga for home defense. Especially if your wife isn't rehearsed in an auto-loader and clearing possible malfunctions.

I prefer a beater 870 pump w/ 18" bbl and 7rd extension (my home defense gun is a 12" 870 w/ pistol grip...ultra compact house-clearing SOB) and a good hi-cap handgun.

If I had to pick between just one, I would get a high cap handgun because it is so much smaller than trying to run around your house w/ a big-azzed shotty.

For an urban SHTF gun, handgun (concealable). For rural SHTF, AR-15.

Edited by C&S Metall-Werkes

Don't get me wrong.

I LOVE the S-12, but if you can only have 1, a pistol wins hands down.

I like Sig, but Glock is really great too.

If the proverbial Shit were to hit the fan, walking around with an AK-47 chambered in 12 gauge may attract a bit of unwanted attention.

If you have $950 to play with, you could get both an AK & a Glock.

Don't get me wrong.

I LOVE the S-12, but if you can only have 1, a pistol wins hands down.

I like Sig, but Glock is really great too.

I am a big Sig fan too. I have fired several thousand rounds of various ammo through my 229, and never had even one malfunction.....and I have cleaned the gun exactly ZERO times. Disassembled and sprayed some oil in it a couple times, but that's it.

I would stake my life on a Glock too.

If you have $950 to play with, you could get both an AK & a Glock.

+1

I think for just having fun shooting, the S-12 is a good choice. IMHO, the OP is trying to do too many things (asking a lot) out of one gun.

Edited by C&S Metall-Werkes

With $950;

Get a Remington 870. ($300)

A Mosin Nagant. ($100)

And a Glock 19. ($450)

Spend the extra $100 to buy flowers/dinner for your wife for buying 3 guns.

Excellent advice!

LOL on the flowers/dinner :lolol::super:

I'd want a shotgun, primarily for the wide ranging choice of ammo and accessories. And I'd love to say "Saiga12", but truth of the matter is, I'd love even more, to give the nod to a Benelli M1 or later model semi-auto holding 8 or 9 rounds. I have a pair, and they are awesome. But being autos, there is always present, the ability to jam at the worst times.

So, for the sake of reliability, I'd go with a pump. It'll shoot anything, and will pretty much fail to fail. The Mossy 500's, the 870's and others are fine, although I prefer and do go with a pair of Benellis, a Nova and a SuperNova. Both of those guns are chambered for 3.5 inch (giving 18 "00" pellets), both have awesome ghost ring sights, both have lights mounted, both have extended magazines, and so forth. I do not though, add sighting devices, red dots and scopes, to my shotguns. I have an H&R Pardner with a bead only. All my other shotguns have better sights, but all are open sighted. And they cycle regardless of ammo, whether it be buckshot, birdshot, slugs or exotic shot. The Novas run, equipped as I noted, in the neighborhood of $550 dollars. There is no need for conversion, and they are already 922c compliant.

With the extra money, I'd opt for a pistol...I have one on either side of my bed (one at the side of my wife, who also might be considered a formidable home defense mechanism), a Ruger SR9c, and a Kel-Tec PF9 (and 1500 rounds of 9mm nearby). Both serve a dual function, in that both are concealable as well, and are also in use for concealed carry. Both pistols have lights, TLR 3's in fact, which are easily removed for concealed carry.

Finally, the Benellis carry good resale or trade-in value, when the time comes to move up (should anyone wish to do so...I certainly wouldn't give up my pumps, for all the reasons noted above).

You're blessed in that a new gun(s) is in your future. So are many pleasurable hours of thinking about how, and what, and why, you'll be doing this, that and the other, to your gun(s) in order to bring them up to a state of fine tune for your home defense needs. And of course, there is great satisfaction to be found in building such a gun.

Just my opinion...

On a budget for a good all around shotgun I'd go Remington 870 or Mossberg 500, both are super reliable and easy to use 12 gauge pumps. For just home defense I'd consider a Taurus Judge, as a revolver and a shotgun its easy to use and great for home defense. For $950 you could get one pump, the Judge, and still have a couple hundred left over.

The Saiga is on an AK frame so its simpler than some other assault rifles, but its big, heavy and still significantly more complicated than a revolver or pump. PFI Dude will make sure your Saiga is running well and tell you what type of ammo he tested it with (and I think even sell you some), but the weapon will cost you more and you and your wife will need to spend some range time familiarizing yourself with its operation.

Edited by fauxknight

If your talking about home defense why and the hell would you want a pistol?? If I'm protecting my family, I dont wanna worry about shooting a human trying to harm me or my family in the middle of night covered in darkness with a single bullet. THe advantage to the S-12 is you can put a lot lead down range to neutralize the threat and not worry about accuracy. What happens if you are facing multiple guns from multiple intruders and the police are chewing on Donuts at 7-eleven drinking coffee. Personally I want as much firepower as I can have to eliminate that threat and protect whats mine (my family and property). The only logical answer is a shotgun and the only logical shotgun is the S-12. Why but a shotgun that will only hold 3 rounds for the same money?? What if Tyrone and his posse are all strapped and they decide to invade your residence?? Would you want 3 rounds or 20?? As for malfunctions thats your job to get those worked out before you have to lock and load.

Edited by Jackal

For home defense, I'd pick up a $250.00 12 gauge pump and a decent pistol for that price range. I don't think I would rely on a semi-auto shotgun like the Saiga 12 for home defense, no matter how reliable it seems to be. Especially if I would possibly be defending the lives of my family. I've never had a pump jam on me. I really cannot say the same for most semi-auto shotguns I've owned and used. I've got 3 Saiga 12's, but I would still reach for the 12 gauge pump if I heard my floor creaking in the middle of the night.

Would you want 3 rounds or 20??

Most of your home defense shotguns hold at least 5 rounds, which should normally be sufficient. It depends a lot on his situation too, if you take out a few of your neighbors becuase you let loose with a 20 round drum of 00 buckshot, then it probably wasn't worth it.

Now admittedly I did see one guy who said his neighbors were robbed by 6 or 7 guys with assault rifles and he wanted to know the best defense weapon for that. If the situation is that dire the Saiga 12 should be #2 on your list, right after moving to a new city.

Look at getting a used semi auto like the 1100 or 11-87 or a good pump and a tube extension for it and a pistol. I really like my Glock 22 and I have a 18" barrel 870 with a 7rnd tube on it in my closet in case the poop lands on the fan.

The S12 is great but It's hard to beat a good pump gun.

My Glock is my ccw pistol/ back up gun if my shotgun goes down.

Main advantage of a pistol is it's compact size, other then that a long gun is superior in every way. A shotgun is my preferred weapon for close work, if you are consistently going to be shooting more then 25m look at a rifle but for in door use a shotgun is your best option.

Edited by Rusty truck

You just aren't going to get the drop on a Mafia hit (don't ask me how I know :)), so the sheer wall of lead that an S12 can create isn't really an advantage in any realistic HD scenario. With a basic pump, you can add an extended magazine tube and buy a pistol as well. My recommendation is also the G17 or G19 (both the common 9mm).

That way, you AND your wife can be armed. Plus, you'll have a gun small enough to conceal for those times when an unexpected visitor politely knocks on your door that you aren't interested in scaring away with a converted S12.

I got a Mossberg 500 for home defense came with 2 barrels. smooth bore and riled barrel paid $350. and you can get a tube extension for to run more rounds. MOSSBERG 500 HIGH CAPACITY SHOTGUN KIT I got a friend that is a New Hampshire State Trooper he told me one time that hand guns are not a good idea for home defense cause if you got some one in you house and you shoot at them the bullet will go threw the walls and could hit family members. He did give me 3 rounds of that none lethal rubber ball ammo and that stuff will dent a car door so it going to hurt like a bastard if you get hit with it.

He did give me 3 rounds of that none lethal rubber ball ammo and that stuff will dent a car door so it going to hurt like a bastard if you get hit with it.

Reliable 'less lethal' ammo like that is nice to have around for home defense. It costs a bit more than regular buckshot, but really one 25 round box ought to cover you. Remember it is still lethal, particually at ranges under 10 or 15 feet.

I got a good old Winchester Defender 1300 w/ 18" barrel and it has a factory tube capacity of 7 plus 1 in the chamber. I am like the rest of the guys. Get you a decent pistol and a decent pump gun and maybe something else, if you can ok it with her. That is a good idea to do because I didn't and that is probably why I am going through a divorce now. The S12 is badass and a fearful looking death machine but always remember one of Murphy's Law - What can go wrong usually does. I would rather have my pump gun if my life depended on it. Having both a handgun and shotgun is a good pair because you could transition to your handgun if Murphy should decide to visit you and your shotgun . My .02 worth

I vote with the cheap 12 ga pump for a basic home gun and use the other $600+ for something else...it won't go far in a college-fund account. I just sold my 12 ga pump (Savage) for $225 to help pay for my Saiga...but My kids are all beyond the age of needing education funding.

My 357 snubby is the "go to" gun for night noises, with the Saiga a reassuring backup if things start to sound serious.

My most fun gun to shoot = Saiga 12 (I've never shot a particular firearm as much as I have my S12)

Most versatile for survival/small game (around here) = 12 ga shotgun

Best weapon for home defense = 12 ga shotgun (with flamethrower coming in second. :rolleyes: Just don't burn house down.) LOL

Most concealable for carrying (though I'm not sure NJ allows it) = Pistol (I like 45, but 40 & 9mm are ok too)

Good 24 hour guardian that can protect wife, if need be = Large dog

I'm not sure what the law is in regards to "castle doctrine" there, but I wouldn't want to use a less than lethal round in a HD situation under most circumstances. Yeah, they hurt (trust me). They can still kill at indoor distances (chest or head shot). But if you're in fear for your life, or that of another (the only time you're justified in firing IMO), then you're justified in killing. If you have a LTL round loaded and someone jumps out with a machette, clearly intent on killing you, I would rather have some buckshot to stop them than rubber pellets.

That's just my opinion though.

(edit to add) One thing a lot of people may not think about much is that if you DO have to use a firearm for HD, it will be secured and taken into evidence by the Police afterwards. Assuming you're justified, you SHOULD eventually get it back, but in the mean time, your wife and family will not be able to use it to defend themselves if the perp you shot has friends that want to come back for revenge. It's very possible you will be in custody for a little while too, if there's any concern you may have overstepped your legal boundaries in regard to shooting somebody. So you may not be there to help defend them. A second firearm is definitely advised.

Assuming the PD, Prosecuter and other local officials are anti gun, using a tricked out Saiga 12 for HD (or any other "assault weapon" for that matter) may not play out well if anything has to go to court. It sucks, but that's the unfortunate reality some of us have to deal with. You can assume any liberal paper in the area will say something like "Homeowner GUNS DOWN suspected burglar with assault weapon". Yes, it's unfair and biased, but it's very possible.

So you MAY want to go with a less "aggressive" looking (and cheaper) Rem 870 or Mossy 500 pump. They'll kill bad guys just as dead and shouldn't paint you as a "survivalist gun nut", should you ever have to use it, God forbid.

Edited by Corbin