Firearm coating failuer, see my tangerine Saiga

Had my Saiga professionally coated, and much to my dismay (and the guy who did it) it turned out as what I described as "peach" and Pauly described as diarreah red. It is being fixed, but thought I would share this fun little tidbit with you guys. The guy doing the coating is a friend of mine, and he was as baffled as me. He contacted a representative for the company who assured him the coloring was correct. After my displeasure was voiced they gave me a new color to replace it, but still.....here it is.

pic 1 is the color it was supposed to be.

pic 2 is what it turned out to be.

post-31605-0-37706700-1305861144_thumb.jpg

post-31605-0-44346100-1305861161_thumb.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Orange you glad you went with that color?

Well. I'm really feeling like the odd man out here because I actually don't think it looks that bad. It's not that far away from a dark earth tone and I definitely like it better than the tangerine.co

Red S12?   helpful when set trippin'       :lolol:

Posted Images

I just hope you haven't defiled the beautiful IceRack & VCH by letting it touch that color. :angel:

Ironic really...

You had your set treated & ordered the parts that WILL NOT rust, then your gun was painted rust red.

But do the regular red & wait till it cures, then wet-sand it, buff it up & it'll look sweet. :super:

Did y'all use some sort of chemical stripper to strip the old finish or something?

Citristrip will take the factory finish off of a Saiga. It may take a few times and a bit of elbow grease though.

Looks like some GA red clay. Great camouflage for around here.

I am in Georgia nad didnt even think of that, but you sir are absolutely correct.

I just hope you haven't defiled the beautiful IceRack & VCH by letting it touch that color. :angel:

Ironic really...

You had your set treated & ordered the parts that WILL NOT rust, then your gun was painted rust red.

But do the regular red & wait till it cures, then wet-sand it, buff it up & it'll look sweet. :super:

Now I feel like a genuine ass with rushing you to boot since she isnt even ready. My ADHD is kicking in overtime with this mess.

Did y'all use some sort of chemical stripper to strip the old finish or something?

No, with Duracoat it was bead blasted down to bare metal before the finish is applied. It is chemically cleaned to remove any oils or anything that may cause the paint to run, bubble, or do any other general shenanigans....

Citristrip will take the factory finish off of a Saiga. It may take a few times and a bit of elbow grease though.

That sounds like a ton of work to remove something that is already good looking. If I werent doing the conversion on it which caused some scraping, and that unsightly safety scratch (ducks head and awaits thrashing for the safety comment) I would have left her paint along.

We were in agreement that even though the company didnt admit to anything, I think this was a bad batch of paint. The container for it even looked orangeish.

Well. I'm really feeling like the odd man out here because I actually don't think it looks that bad. It's not that far away from a dark earth tone and I definitely like it better than the tangerine.color you wanted. Oh well, the bottom line is you should have gotten what you expected. I hope it turns out that way.

• Like 2

seems to be a reason most folks go with basic no/low gloss black LOL. Its pretty hard to fek up though I've seen a few that came out deep blue to midnight purple. In the end they looked good enough and were close enough to black that the owners of both kept them and were pleased with the results.... that nasty pink though... not even for free..... ohmy!

Don't think it looks too bad either. Plus, as a Georgian, I gotta admit, it does kinda look like red clay! As to the color, I've seen this shade in several differnt camo schemes as a secondary or tertiary color. Camo on top of this as a base should look good!

I hope you really did not use glass beads to blast it. If so, the Duracoat probably won't stay on anyway.

Need to use a blasting media, like aluminum oxide or someting similar.

Hell, play sand will probably work if nothing else.

Edited by Gunfixr

Don't think it looks too bad either. Plus, as a Georgian, I gotta admit, it does kinda look like red clay! As to the color, I've seen this shade in several differnt camo schemes as a secondary or tertiary color. Camo on top of this as a base should look good!

I too am in Georgia, though a transplant from the deep south (Florida :rolleyes:) but am ot too big in the camo scheme. I wanted i to stand out since I have plans for this particular Saiga and it will never see the woods unless the CDC report about zombies wasnt a hoax, then it is on.

I hope you really did not use glass beads to blast it. If so, the Duracoat probably won't stay on anyway.

Need to use a blasting media, like aluminum oxide or someting similar.

Hell, play sand will probably work if nothing else.

He does Duracoat out of his shop professionally and I believe he does sand blast, I used the term bead blasting because I do way too much body work at my other buddies shop. But since you said that, and you wont answer my PM's :haha:, why would bead blasting have any negative effect? This is how it looked stripped down.

post-31605-0-58664200-1306122342_thumb.jpg

post-31605-0-09094900-1306122347_thumb.jpg

post-31605-0-22345800-1306122352_thumb.jpg

The reason why I asked about a chemical stripper or any other chemical, is because sometimes chemicals will affect the final color of the finish. I would never use any chemical on any metal that is "in the white" without making sure that it was thoroughly removed before the application of the finish. This guy is a pro though, so I'm sure he knows what he's doing. A lot of factors beyond his control could affect the final color of the finish.

I could be wrong but I think the process is a chemical bath (i dont remember what he said the stuff was) to remove any oils and such, then it gets sand blasted, then dipped to clean it again, then it gets parkerized, then the coat goes on. The first pic he sent me was of the pant container (pic included below) and it looked orange in the container, but I assumed that was just how it was supposed to look. He had never used this particular color before and assumed the same. He said he became concerned when he saw it on the gun. they assured him it was correct, but it looked nothing like what the picture showed or what either of us were expecting at all.

The name is even visible where it says cav arms red.

post-31605-0-45921600-1306123209_thumb.jpg

When I began this process I was completely new to Saigas and read where someone said "DO NOT WELD ON YOUR RECEIVER!!! so I planned on using the plugs that come with the kit. Now that I know otherwise I wish I had welded but I don't want to wait any longer to get her back.

I plan to ask if you can do duracoat like car paint and "fade it in after the fact if I got the holes welded (I remember him saying I can, but not certain). Who/where is the place you know. I am all about making this right the first time.

Man I find this crazy because I just ordered some Primary Red from Lauer for a customer who wanted a red/black digital pattern. The paint looked more like a hot pink/ peach! It was awful! I was under a time cruch and I didn't have time to reorder, so I had blend here and there to get the color I needed. The job ended up great in the end and the customer was happy but it was a pain in the ass to get want I wanted. Sorry no pics, but I will be returning the color to Lauer. Where's the QC?!

That worries me bad. They recommended the primary red as my replacement color since it was "a true red" not like the cavarms red. I asked about the Uncle Mikes red, but they said it has pink hue to it and go with the primary. If it is screwed up I am gonna be mad as hell. I may have to go another route completely which will not make me a happy camper. If they dont even know their colors I will go with black, which I dont want to do, till another option comes along where they can figure out basic colors. I saw several pieces of his work before I went with Duracoat since they all looked good, but just as my luck goes I am the one with the weird shit happening.

When I began this process I was completely new to Saigas and read where someone said "DO NOT WELD ON YOUR RECEIVER!!! so I planned on using the plugs that come with the kit. Now that I know otherwise I wish I had welded but I don't want to wait any longer to get her back.

I plan to ask if you can do duracoat like car paint and "fade it in after the fact if I got the holes welded (I remember him saying I can, but not certain). Who/where is the place you know. I am all about making this right the first time.

It is a LEO friend of mine. I will be getting both of mine done in a few weeks and may be able to get a multi-gun discount and save you a good amount of money if you do not mind waiting. I still need to do a bit of work to the new S12 before I can Duracoat.