Trying to come up with the options for my CCW pistol. Requirements are simple, caliber 40 S&W, 10+ rounds magazine capacity, ergonomic and easy to conceal.

So far I found Springfield XDM 3.8, Berretta PX4 compact (not sub-compact).

Any other ideas?

I can't stand the tiny conceal weapons so I was pretty much looking for the same thing when I bought mine. The narrowed down list was the XD, XDM, M&P and the G27. Went with the M&P 40c because I felt it met what I was looking for the best, but all of them seemed like decent choices, and the PX4 fits in there as well.

A double-stack mag really doesn't lend itself to concealed carry, but if you're set on all the above listed criteria, just go with a Glock. It will do everything the other pistols do (and more in some cases) for less.

If you're focused more on the concealability aspect, options open up a little. Kahr, Sig, Walther, and Springfield all make single stack .40s. I wouldn't recommend you to trust your life to a Taurus though... unless it's one of their revolvers.

I can't speak for all Taurus but their Berretta copies are Berrettas with a Taurus logo. Made on the same equipment and machines as Berretta. Now their other models are hit or miss

I can't stand the tiny conceal weapons so I was pretty much looking for the same thing when I bought mine. The narrowed down list was the XD, XDM, M&P and the G27. Went with the M&P 40c because I felt it met what I was looking for the best, but all of them seemed like decent choices, and the PX4 fits in there as well.

Just came across M&P pistols manual and found that +P ammunition is not recommended. :ded: If I will be carrying compact pistol I'd rather use +P ammunition to compensate for bullet speed loss.

+P is all I ever shoot.out of my m&p's

I believe they say that cause there is no " standard" +p. Each company rates their +p differently. Since there are hundreds of ammo manufacturers and hundreds more importers of ammo the firearms manufacturer cannot guarantee their firearm will function with each and every round ever made. Just like they tell you not to use reloads.

Just look at the FAL. A bad ass battle rifle with reliability of AK and yet DSA says not to use Russian or Indian 308 ((along with others)

Its a lawsuit thing.

I should also note that even small bug guns like keltec and kahr who don't recommend using +p are perfectly safe and capable of firing +p. Maybe not a constant steady diet of them. But if you find +p ammo that works for you you can cary it for sd. This is what I do whith my kahr. For the range I use regular fmj and an occasional hp/+p but for carry I load with hp +p.

Edited by Arik
  • Like 3

+P is all I ever shoot.out of my m&p's

I believe they say that cause there is no " standard" +p. Each company rates their +p differently. Since there are hundreds of ammo manufacturers and hundreds more importers of ammo the firearms manufacturer cannot guarantee their firearm will function with each and every round ever made. Just like they tell you not to use reloads.

Just look at the FAL. A bad ass battle rifle with reliability of AK and yet DSA says not to use Russian or Indian 308 ((along with others)

Its a lawsuit thing.

I should also note that even small bug guns like keltec and kahr who don't recommend using +p are perfectly safe and capable of firing +p. Maybe not a constant steady diet of them. But if you find +p ammo that works for you you can cary it for sd. This is what I do whith my kahr. For the range I use regular fmj and an occasional hp/+p but for carry I load with hp +p.

Great. Thanks for the explanation! I am still new to firearms. Got my first gun 1.5 years ago.

Glock 23 here. I picked up a Ruger LC9 for a more concealable piece for summer time. I call it my beach wear. :rolleyes:

Anyway, about the +P thing, Ruger doesn't recommend it in the LC9 either. For CCW, I see it this way, if I load +P into it and I have to use it for self defense, it's worth beating up the pistol.

I love my XD .40 subcompact. Remember that if you don't like the grip length on a subcompact they make little magazine extensions that give your pinky something to grip while adding only a tiny bit of bulk. That made all the difference for me.

Go with a sub-compact Glock. If your so worried about anemic ammunition then get a Glock 29 (10mm), and get the .40 S&W and .357 SIG change out barrels. No need to change the mags it'll work just fine as is.

• Like 2

I've got a Thompson Auto-Ordnance 1911 in .40, it's a full size frame, but shorter slide. Unlike the Pitbull I had (so glad I got rid of that thing), this gun looks, feels, and shoots great! It's also a breeze to carry

• 3 weeks later...

Go with a sub-compact Glock. If your so worried about anemic ammunition then get a Glock 29 (10mm), and get the .40 S&W and .357 SIG change out barrels. No need to change the mags it'll work just fine as is.

just a thought, i was in a local gun store last weekend contemplating buying a glock 20. i mentioned the conversion barrels and the owner told me that using a conversion barrel on that particular pistol would result in less than reliable performance, so if the pistol was meant for self defense, it should always be running stock 10mm.

Because I have been reading this thread for a while now heres my :2c: If you're not going to get a Glock ( I prob never own) I would give another vote fore the XD. Out of all my $$$$ handguns the XD has been the most bang for my buck.

• Like 1

I contemplated buying the 10mm until I saw the price of ammo. Ill stick to my 9 and 45.

yea, 10mm is expensive ammunition. when i buy one i probably wont shoot it much until i get into reloading. in the mean time, 9mm is what il be practicing with.

I contemplated buying the 10mm until I saw the price of ammo. Ill stick to my 9 and 45.

It depends on where you buy. I picked up 500rnds of Prvi Partizan PPU 180grn JHP 10mm auto recently for ~$0.38 per round shipped. The brass is actually thicker than Rem, Win etc and it's boxer primed, so gtg for reloading. Is that a great price? Not really, I can buy .308 for about that. However, it's tolerable, and every time I fire my G20 I'm reminded of why it's worth it.

I thought about getting a .40 S(hort)& W(eak) barrel for it to make plinking cheaper, but decided I'd rather spend that money on a 6" 10mm barrel and get those rounds up well over 1400fps.

I do think it's wise to reload if you're planning to shoot your 10mm pistola much. Not only to save $, but also because you can make such delightfully hot rounds in that caliber. :devil:

ymmv.

I pack either a Glock 27 or a XD-40 "Service" pistol.

Thing with a .40 is that even a 180 grain can travel at 1100 fps. That's standard pressure too not +P.

.40 has some nice thump to it.

If I'm not carrying that, I'm carrying one of my 1911s (.45)

But I really like carrying one of my 1911s the most. :)

• 3 weeks later...