Purpose built zombie gun (your thoughts)

Caged, I think you missed my point.. I'm not a financial advisor I'm an engineer. My point was that it may not be the best investment preparing for things that are very unlikely to happen. I could quickly spend 5 times what I have in savings and many people would say I'm still unprepared for SHTF or zombie apocalypse or the German invasion etc.. In the meantime I'd be stuck with no savings and sitting on 50,000 rounds of buckshot that I'll never use. I believe in preparation, just not to the point that I'm making big sacrafices in my life today or tomorrow.

I'd like to know what everyone HONESTLY thinks the likelyhood of a SHTF situation and a Zombie Apocolypse.

I'd say:

SHTF (outside of 1-2 day power outtages or extreme weather for a day or 2): 0.1% chance of it happening

Zombie Apocalypse: 0.000000000001% chance of it happening

Thoughts? I'd like honest opinions as I'm genuinely curious.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL! Yeah SCHULTZE beat me to it. Gotta have a chainsaw bayonet on a Zombie Cannon right? Heheheh!      

True, but when you have an old Ford, over 100 gallons of gas and you live on the outskirts, you can get the hell out of dodge. Once out in the middle of nowhere, which is literally like 20 miles away

For me, a zombie isn't a person or a thing. It's a state of mind. It encompasses everything you really fear deep down......past, present, and future. Things you don't want to name individually because

Posted Images

I have some family in south America and the truth the man's true nature doesn't live too far from there. And the behaviors down there are performed without a virus to blame. I saw the videos from the UK of everyone attacking cops and eachother for backpacks in case there was a laptop or ipod within it. Sadly we are not that far from it happening here I feel.

The power to cause pain is the only power that matters, the power to kill and destroy, because if you can't kill then you are always subject to those who can, and nothing and no one will ever save you.

-Ender Wiggin

and no one ever talks about solar flares surprisingly. they are cyclic with EMP consequences. no electricity = no water, no food travelling, no basis for economy. SHTF while the fans on high smile.png

Edited by FiReBReTHa

to be 100% honest.. in my or my son's lifetime, I HONESTLY feel the odds are closer to 80%.... The preperations I'm makeing today will last thru HIS lifetime if unneeded and likely beyond. The ammo isn't gonna go shoot itself up, the guns won't go bad, and the other supplies are ... short of foodstuffs... all gonna last a hundred years if not in daily service.

With the devaluation of the US dollar, the fact that we are the single most HATED nation in the world who STILL hasent learned to keep our noses out of other peoples buisness... the fact that the country is BROKE our allys are broke and we have damn few friends left in the world. The tide of illegals flooding the nation bleeding us dry economically. The rise of USSR back to power, the Rise of China to superpower status all in the near future... you honestly expect everything to just be hunkiedory for the next hundred years? Brother wake up.

Lets assume that the fools running the country finally wake the hell up and start turning things around... lets look at problem #2

World population is on the rise unchecked, as better medicines and advances in nutrition push the average life expectancy to ever higher numbers folks just arn't dieing fast enough.

Urban Sprawl is bad and just getting worse... compare the countryside...the farms, the cities to those that existed 100 years ago.... now, imagine another 100 years of the same....

Factor in the changeing climate and the rise in food prices as a direct result of... your already paying 20% more for groceries than you did 2 years ago thanks to the drought. You think thats gonna get better any time soon?....the gobie desart was once rich and fertil... climate change.....the weathermen are predicting 7 more years at least of the same.

Now... with all that in mind... how long till the cost of food is beyond what most can afford on a daily basis? yes you can grow your own... but the starving millions in the cities cant... and you don't think they are stupid enough to stay in em when you have a garden and rabbit hutch in your backyard do ya?.....

And who knows the avalibility of these supplies in the future.... the firearms and ammo at the very least i expect to be impossible to get again sometime in the next 30 years....we are just that close gentlemen. We can buy today what our children won't be able to tomorrow.... I'd rather have and not need than need and not have.

there are MANY reasons to prepare.. no....I won't likely leave my son enough money behind that he can move to Beverly Hills and party like a rock star... sadly, I love him too much for that.

what I CAN and WILL do is leave him a means to live.... reguardless of what life throws at him.. and to be able to allow him to ensure the same for HIS children one day.

My investment is paying fat dividends bro.... fat indeed

Edited by datrowl

I could quickly spend 5 times what I have in savings and many people would say I'm still unprepared for SHTF or zombie apocalypse or the German invasion etc..

There is no amount of money that can be spent to fully prepare. The SHTF scenario is entirely open-ended .. no matter what level of preparedness you achieve, there is always some hypothetical threat that you cannot handle. Thus, it becomes an increasing escalation. Got guns, renewable food and water sources, body armor, gas masks and belt-fed MGs? You still need a tank. Got a tank? What about a tank division? Loyal henchmen to drive them? Etc.

So, yes.. your point about needing to balance your budget so to speak is well taken.

However, a good collection of vintage guitars - as just one example - collected from the 60s era appreciated more in value through than most mutual funds. Not just any guitars, naturally .. you had to know what to buy. But the formula was simple: did Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, or the like use a similar guitar of that era? Yes? Buy it.

The same thing holds true for guns. There is a seemingly endless list of guns that are very functional for a SHTF scenario, that will also appreciate quite nicely in collector value.

You can beat your "safe" market returns handily by shopping savvy, and paying a bit more for your guns to get ones that have collector value as well as defensive value.

In the meantime I'd be stuck with no savings and sitting on 50,000 rounds of buckshot that I'll never use.

Clearly you do not have enough MD20s.

I'd like to know what everyone HONESTLY thinks the likelyhood of a SHTF situation and a Zombie Apocolypse.

I'd say:

SHTF (outside of 1-2 day power outtages or extreme weather for a day or 2): 0.1% chance of it happening

I'm not going to put baseless statistical values on this stuff. But it would be interesting to go back to, say, 1985 and hear what Reagan and his best, and smartest advisors would say the "odds" are on some scrappy middle eastern nutjobs bringing down the WTC.

Your "odds" are all just based on your model of what you think will happen, and how you think things work. Sometimes, you might even be accurate .. until something, or someone comes along and starts playing by a whole different set of rules. Then your model, and your odds fall to shit.

I'm preparing for the complete breakdown of society as I know it, civil war, whatever you want to call it as best as I can. I very much doubt it will happen in my lifetime - but my daughter, and probably a few as yet unborn children will have a leg up if it happens in their lifetime. And if not theirs, then my grandchildren's, etc. My wife and I both inherited a great deal from our parents and grandparents, not so much in terms of cash, but in property, equipment, and so on. I don't intend to squander it.

I don't consider money to be wealth. Money is what you use to become wealthy. Wealth is the tangible things you have, and a thing is only as valuable as what it can be used for. This value was instilled in both my wife and I when we were children, and we teach this to our daughter in turn.

Caged, I think you missed my point.. I'm not a financial advisor I'm an engineer. My point was that it may not be the best investment preparing for things that are very unlikely to happen. I could quickly spend 5 times what I have in savings and many people would say I'm still unprepared for SHTF or zombie apocalypse or the German invasion etc.. In the meantime I'd be stuck with no savings and sitting on 50,000 rounds of buckshot that I'll never use. I believe in preparation, just not to the point that I'm making big sacrafices in my life today or tomorrow.

I'd say:

I don't know what's going to happen, or when, and I don't see the point in spending a lot of time trying to figure out the odds. As if you could do that with any certainty anyway. I don't prepare for anything like an apocalypse but I think it's just foolish to assume that nothing worse than a couple days of bad weather could happen. You don't need 50,000 rounds of ammunition and you don't necessarily have to spend a lot of money to be well prepared. And it's not just about having "everything" you need for any eventuality, it's about having enough to survive reasonably well in the initial stages of a disaster when everything is chaotic along with the "means" and skills to acquire what you need after that. I can't think of any survival stocks that I have that do not serve a dual purpose, or that will go to waste if I don't use them. Well OK, My gas mask canisters will eventually expire but that's it. I live in an area that is long past overdue for a massive earthquake and/or a volcanic eruption. I say "and/or" because they both could happen at the same time with one triggering the other. They say it could happen 5 minutes from now or 50 years, but in geological terms they are coming soon. And if society breaks down, I'm ready for that too.......at no extra charge.smile.png

Edited by DogMan
  • Like 1

Heh, around here all it takes to go a week without power and no phone lines is a ice storm. Yes its happened, yes it will probably happen again.

One example. Believe it or not this wasn't the one where we didn't have power for over a week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_ice_storm_of_1998

I can't say the bullets were a huge aid, but the mass storage of food, having natural gas, matches, candles, flashlights, batteries, a woodstove, chainsaw, and 4wd were all important factors.

The zombies hate the cold too it seems.

I understand preparing for realistic disasters like many have mentioned above.. it just makes sense. You dont hear anything about this on any forum but gun forums - I feel like people just want to justify having a huge amount of firepower or to keep collecting ammo/firearms. I'm guilty of it too!

I read an article very recently about how every generation has it's "The world is ending soon" or "The US is in a fast downward spiral" reasons.. whether it's disease, cold war, terrorism, recession, our leadership, etc.. But the world continues on and the US is still here.

Datrowl you say I need to wake up, but SHTF/Zombie posts remind me of the rapture predictions. Isn't it remotely possible that you're spending all this time worrying and spending money on an idea of something that will likely never happen?

I get preparation, and I get having extra ammo in case it's not available anymore, but 1000 or 5000 or 10000000 rounds are only useful if there's a LONG-term collapse and you're shooting at everything that moves.

Anyways this an internet forum and this is just my opinion.. many people obviously disagree with me on this topic

This is my hobby, the money i spend on it is the same money i would spend on any other hobby....ham radios, building model trains, 4 wheeling, all hobbies have a cost. I shoot. i shoot with my family and i shoot with my friends... its what we do to relax and enjoy our little slice of America

You make it sound as though we are all liveing off a diet of ramen and beans to save money to stockpile hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammo.... not the case at all. In most of our family budgets, there is money set aside for entertainment, going to the movies, eating out, buying shocks for the quad... buying ammo or new guns.

we are makeing no sacrifices, we choose to live differently than you choose to live is all i guess, and yes... we may go the next thousand years peacefully.... but i'm betting against it.

If i ever decide to sell off my collection, not a single item in it would return less than i paid for it, and most would bring double or triple the actual cash value i have invested in them... those numbers are only going to go up as years go by... these firearms will never do anything but get older, more scarce and more collectable.

Invest in stocks if you want, I'm investing in some stocks myself... got a real nice set of new russian red for my next kit build.

peace bro, i hope it works out for ya, i really do... but i can always turn guns into cash, you may not always be able to turn cash into guns however.....

Edited by datrowl

Heh, around here all it takes to go a week without power and no phone lines is a ice storm. Yes its happened, yes it will probably happen again.

One example. Believe it or not this wasn't the one where we didn't have power for over a week.

http://en.wikipedia....e_storm_of_1998

I can't say the bullets were a huge aid, but the mass storage of food, having natural gas, matches, candles, flashlights, batteries, a woodstove, chainsaw, and 4wd were all important factors.

The zombies hate the cold too it seems.

I can't agree more with you. Around here in "Hurricane Alley", even if one comes pretty close, the wind and storm surge wreaks havoc on everything. No power for days and the looters come out looking for vacant homes that the occupants have evacuated from.

I read an article very recently about how every generation has it's "The world is ending soon" or "The US is in a fast downward spiral" reasons.. whether it's disease, cold war, terrorism, recession, our leadership, etc.. But the world continues on and the US is still here.

Indeed. I'll go so far as to say that every civilization has had some mythology or another about the end of the world. And it is true that it continually does not happen. The difference between today, and Roman or Mayan times is that we aren't fighting with swords anymore. Hell, we aren't necessarily even fighting with GUNS any more. Man-portable WMD's are a threat no civilization has faced before. It was once inconceivable that the U.S. would be the victim of a terrorist attack on our own soil. Now it is inconceivable to ignore the threat. Likewise, bio, chemical or nuclear attacks may seem remote today - but technology keeps advancing, both for us - and for the enemy.

To make matters worse, worldwide we becoming more and more dependant on technology every day, and our own country is entirely dependant on electricity. Without electricity there are no records of money or ownership. Hospitals would cease to function in short order. Communications - gone. There is virtually no one who really knows how to live without electricity at this point.

And yet, the juice could stop flowing semi-permanently in a heartbeat due to a solar storm. In the 1800's there was a solar storm so intense it set telegraph wires and poles on fire. Back then, it meant little - it was a curiosity - because we weren't dependant on telegraphs. Today that same storm would shut down communications, it would fry the computers in our cars and trucks, the control systems for the electrical grid would be wiped out. In an instant, supermarkets would cease to get food deliveries, banks would be powerless to give out money - as they would have no way to know how much money is yours, not that it would be useful for much anyhow. The government and media would be unable to get a reassuring word, or even accurate information about what has happened out to folks. Panic. Death.

In the past, not only were the threats less likely than today, but society itself was more robust to deal with catastrophes that did happen because the structure of society was more distributed. Individuals were more self-sufficient because they HAD to be. Today, we have balanced our society on the head of a pin. We have a single point of failure that can bring everything down with it.

Intense solar storms are a normal occurrence. We are, in fact, overdue for one. Human society has survived hundreds of thousands of such storms in the past - because they didn't affect us at all. An especially powerful and long lasting one could conceivably destroy nearly every electrical device on the planet.. though that is indeed remote. But wiping out most devices over a large portion of a continent? - hell, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. Ironically, it is the newest greatest highly-integrated digital electronics that are most prone to EMP destruction. An old school tube radio might well survive.

So, yes - you're point about the worry and mythology of TEOTW is well-taken .. but it is very important to realize how weak our current civilization is compared to those of the past. Societies of the past ran on animal power. There was simply no threat that could kill all the animals over an entire continent instantaneously. Today, there is a threat that can take out all of the electrical power. And the threat isn't even theoretical .. it in fact, runs almost like clockwork.

I get preparation, and I get having extra ammo in case it's not available anymore, but 1000 or 5000 or 10000000 rounds are only useful if there's a LONG-term collapse and you're shooting at everything that moves.

I have 15000 rounds currently. 1000 for each firearm I own, plus some to shoot up.. I plan to stock much more, but I always seem to go shooting instead. When the ammo prices went up in 2008, I didn't get swept up in a buying frenzy like a lot of people. I just started judiciously shooting what I already had, because I was confident prices would come back down. So no, having lots of ammo is NOT only good for shooting at everything that moves. It is a good way to hedge against temporary shortages.. and it will be good for barter should the SHTF, even if the collapse is temporary.

I've been speaking with my parents about this issue for a few months now. I asked Dad why he doesn't have tons of stuff stored up JIC, and he simply replied, "They've been saying the world was going to end since it began."

I certainly did not mean to offend, I just wanted to share what we've learned about investments on our own. Kinda, "sharing the love" if you will...

As far as stockpiling ammo:

I've got a few hundred rounds of what I feel I'd NEED, but I don't really see any reason to have a ton of ammo, it's heavy and takes up a good bit of space that could otherwise be taken up by water, filters, cigarettes, and chocolate.

Face it people, IF something truly happens, there will be a metric shit-ton of people dead, IF YOU survive you'll be able to take your pick of pretty much what's left. Now I'm not saying that you should start looting but I plan on having what I need to survive for quite a bit of time. The cigarettes and chocolate will be trade goods so that I can get what I want/need from other survivors. That's one thing I learned in the Navy, if you've got candy that no one else does, you can pretty much get any kind of hook-up you want. That's why I always had rice krispy treats on-board the USS Kitty Hawk, those and my air conditioned shop really got me anything I so desired.

I realize that there are many people like me, who would pass on the cigs and chocolate because it's not something they NEED but there will be others who would take me up on the offer so they don't have to constantly carry their surplus.

Plus, with my solar panel, battery tender, and car battery, I'll have my iPod to play games on to keep my mind off the hunger...haha.gif

The funny thing about the CDC's zombie outbreak survival plan? It's a copy/paste of their annual hurricane survival plan, they just changed the nature of the catastrophic charlie-fox.

I like that mossie survival shotgun, may need to build a cousin for myself. But for serious room-clearing, pants filling zombie-removal? hot-running S12 with an autoplug and many MD20s. No machine-gun stupidity, I can pull the trigger fast enough to dump that MD20 in 5 seconds flat. It shit's still twitching after that much lead hits 1200fps, I need to be leaving.

While I agree that discusing the day that the dead rise is usually a parallel for another fear, or just a default/joke-ish scenario for what causes the SHTF, I also believe that part of the appeal to this fantasy is the old western romance to it. You get to be the hard ass with the gun, fighting to survive each day in a law-less world, grow a beard and rise above the turmoil.

With that said, I know where I'd initially go, how I'd get there, about how long I'd hunker down for the crazy shit to settle down, and where I want to eventually get to and stay put. I'd take one buddy, a short AR that I'm going to build that accepts FN FiveSeven mags with an AAC Mini4, a short light S12, a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, FN FiveSeven and probably a 1911. Couple extra mags for each and some other basic stuff

Edited by Goose

I think the title of this thread is prepubescent and gay.

Enough said.

bad_egg.gif

I know the OP. He is definitely heterosexual. He was purely interested in a fun idea.

That is a whole lot more adult and mature than all the people who seriously are preparing for invasion, or whatever.

If you are honest, most of the preparation people (including you) do is to be the hero in some kind of fantasy scenario. The degree of probability or the value of their preparations don't change the fact that fantasy is still one of the primary motives.

I defy you to come up with a thread topic related to any form of defense that will not invite rambling posts of crazy.

Being a survivor and a hero are different things. I don't doubt some people do think like that, but I have little illusion that those who have desired equipment will be targets for theft by force or subversion. Protecting what one has doesn't make one a hero, not by a far stretch.

Enough said.

bad_egg.gif

And yet here you are...just had to jump in......maybe curious huh? Or maybe you noticed he lives in the same state as you and this is wishful thinking on your part. How about adopting a little more of a live and let live attitude next time you see a title you don't like and move on instead of being such a jerk?????

Enough said.

bad_egg.gif

And yet here you are...just had to jump in......maybe curious huh? Or maybe you noticed he lives in the same state as you and this is wishful thinking on your part. How about adopting a little more of a live and let live attitude next time you see a title you don't like and move on instead of being such a jerk?????

Just think that it's always funny to see somebody create a new account just to voice their opinion. You could post on your original account, be a man, and show yourself wink.png

Just my 2 cents, and I'm done instigating lol...

I've got a few hundred rounds of what I feel I'd NEED, but I don't really see any reason to have a ton of ammo, it's heavy and takes up a good bit of space that could otherwise be taken up by water, filters, cigarettes, and chocolate.

Face it people, IF something truly happens, there will be a metric shit-ton of people dead, IF YOU survive you'll be able to take your pick of pretty much what's left. Now I'm not saying that you should start looting but I plan on having what I need to survive for quite a bit of time. The cigarettes and chocolate will be trade goods so that I can get what I want/need from other survivors.

There could be a flaw in your thinking here, I'm afraid. Ideally, you're right.. you won't need much ammo and that space WOULD be better spent on water and such. But the problem is, if the water supply is undrinkable - you'll end up spending that few hundred rounds to keep an 8oz glass to yourself.

Trade? Yeah, if you're lucky you'll find someone honest to trade with - that ammo is what you use to hopefully remind people to play fair.

Our society right now is incredibly affluent - we even have overweight homeless people. And yet, even with our affluence .. people kill each other for the 'right' sneakers. Shit they don't even need. A cashier gave me a $10 bill instead of a $1 once, and I returned it to her - she was astounded at my honesty! This, when most folks will make that $10 in an hour less at their jobs. Even when they don't NEED the $10 - most will be dishonest and take it; and you hope to get a fair deal when the SHTF?

In a nutshell, I don't think you're factoring in how brutal people are. If MOST people in our society kept stores of food, chocolate and smokes for trading with other people, I'd agree with you. Most people will have NOTHING but their wits, and their amorality when the SHTF. You won't be able to trade because they have nothing for you. You won't be able to reason with them - because it won't be their minds in charge, it will be their bellies.

I don't stockpile food, ammo, or anything else to be a hollywood hero type. I really don't. I stockpile to be HUMAN. Because if my options were to watch my wife and daughter starve, or kill someone that has food.. well, it ain't gonna be my wife and daughter that die that day. Might be me, but hopefully its the other guy. It sucks. I don't like it. I don't want to be that guy - But I'm realistic about the fact that damn near every single one of us ARE that guy when the chips are down. We're just all lucky enough to have plenty of chips at the moment.

It is a fact of nature that "something" will cause massive human deaths. This is because human population has been growing exponentially - and nothing in nature grows exponentially for very long without a massive catastrophe. Its true that humans have predicted the end of civilization since civilization began - but for all of our history we were tied to the earth and animals and our growth was essentially linear. Only recently have we gone through the looking glass and passed the elbow of exponential growth, and it is a totally new situation. In Roman days, it was a fantasy - a myth to think that the whole world could be consumed in fire - a power that could only be ascribed to a diety. Today any lunatic who manages to get into office could conceivably pull that off. Yesterday's magic of life and the womb that could be controlled by no one is today's solid professional career in genetic engineering. Previous generations feared the end of the world by some god or demon's hand. Today WE have that power.

If you don't understand the disconnect between the fears of the past and the realities of present - well, I'm afraid you choose just not to see it. Because it is rather obvious if you're paying attention.

Enough said.

bad_egg.gif

Nice first post.031.gif

Whenever I see/use the term zombie, I'm thinking post SHTF. I know that I'll never shoot a zombie per se, but post shtf, anyone not in your "group" could be considered a zombie. I think the S12, once tuned a bit to ensure function, is an excellent choice. 20 rounds of 00 buck is like 180 rounds of .357 when fired into a horde.

It's surprising how many people will talk about zombies post after post, thread after thread, even describing zombies as needing headshots to be killed and many other similarities to zombies from movies, until someone brings up that zombies aren't real.. then everyone backtracks saying that when they say "zombie" they mean terrorist or SHTF situation, etc. Just admit it's fantasy :)

Anyways, I dont see anything wrong with some preparation. I think the bottom line is that we all have different idea's of what reasonable preparation is. Some like myself think it's very unlikely that S will HTF but still feel the need for some preparation, others say it's very obvious that S will HTF and the rest of us need to wake up. Personally I think there is some fantasy involved on that topic too.. I really think some people HOPE shtf so they can tell everyone "told ya so" or like mentioned above they can be the hero who was totally prepared. Just my thoughts!

It's surprising how many people will talk about zombies post after post, thread after thread, even describing zombies as needing headshots to be killed and many other similarities to zombies from movies, until someone brings up that zombies aren't real.. then everyone backtracks saying that when they say "zombie" they mean terrorist or SHTF situation, etc. Just admit it's fantasy smile.png

Anyways, I dont see anything wrong with some preparation. I think the bottom line is that we all have different idea's of what reasonable preparation is. Some like myself think it's very unlikely that S will HTF but still feel the need for some preparation, others say it's very obvious that S will HTF and the rest of us need to wake up. Personally I think there is some fantasy involved on that topic too.. I really think some people HOPE shtf so they can tell everyone "told ya so" or like mentioned above they can be the hero who was totally prepared. Just my thoughts!

Yep, yep, yep. You win. Zombies are not real and the S won't hit the F. There was no reason for any of us to engage in any of this foolishness and you were smart enough to see that before you got sucked in, too. Well, that's that. I guess we can move on now. rolleyes.gif

zombies will never walk the earth, hungry un prepared sheep will soon though. so zombie preparedness is a good way to prep and keep it light.

what he said^^^^

Quoting yourself? And quoting yourself spewing heresy at that!! You may be the first zombie!

"They've been saying the world was going to end since it began." Sounds like the truth to me. My father used to tell me about how he had air raid drills while he was in school during the cold war era. I don't know how that would save you from a nuke but look at all the hype over building a fallout shelter and all that back then. As for zombies, hell people used to have witch hunts. I guess everyone needs something to fearand the end of the world will always be insight. If you wanna go all crazy and buy a few thousand rounds of ammo and other supplies go ahead. No one can predict the end of the world but you can always try to be ready for it. Just don't be that guy with the 6.8spc piston ar, the 1000 yard grendel, and 2k rounds for each but has never spent time practicing.