steel s12 mags. Project completed.

Black nitride is actually pretty amazing for corrosion resistance.

Are you using nitriding or nitro-carburizing? The two terms seem to be used interchangeably in the gun industry, but they are very different processes. Nitriding is just a surface hardening treatment that doesn't offer much, if any increase in corrosion resistance. Nitro-carburizing, on the other hand, is a surface hardening process that offers the resistance you speak of.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We made the call today to suspend low capacity production for the time being on all products. 8 rounds will be the smallest 12 round the largest. We will make the small sizes later if/when restriction

Update of sorts. Ended up getting stuck on a vepr .308 batch for a few extra days. Had to come up with a new clamping fixture for the S-12 since the first one gave me a sore elbow in 20 parts, took a

He has already said in this thread first batch will be 8 rounders.   I want larger magazines, but mostly I look forward to that first batch and I want that first batch to be good, and I want it as

Posted Images

"ferritic nitrocarburizing with post oxide blackening".

I'm not a chemist so most of what they tell me is lost.

My "testing" of the finish was coating a few sample mags with salt water and leaving them outside for a month, every day brushing on a little more salt water.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now that the gun grabbers have been beaten back (for now), I am hoping this will allow companies to make investments in new products!

Especially this one!

Im with ya, these mags would be great. We gotta keep beating back these gun grabbers for our own freedom and for companies like this.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yet another update.

I'd post a photo but I still don't have a pretty test mag yet. We mig weld test mags together to dial in sizes, so they look rough. I'll post a picture of all the test models once I have a pretty one to show.

We worked out one of our feeding glitches that would cause rimlock with a couple shorter shell types. Oddly they fed fine live fire, hand feeding they showed the glitch, but its gone either way.

Which has allowed the last two sets of plates for the bodies to be finished.. Rear lug (whatever you want to call the part that locks the mag into the gun) is a fairly thick milled part, should prevent it from ever snapping. Feedlips are thicker and wrap around the body for extra reinforcement, plus they are welded to the body 12-14 times.

Parts still requiring completion:

Floor plate: we are going for a front to back installation with a upward facing skirting on the front much like is seen on G3, galil, valmet mags, probably going for a square retaining hole so the recoil of those 3" mags won't pop it off. Simple plate set, already drawn.

Follower: The follower likely won't be directly compatible with any other mags, we needed to lower the stop point a little to prevent the bolt from dragging as the steel will drag more. It will be an increased angle follower like is seen in factory 8 round mags to correct for different shell sizes. Currently test models are using those cheapy 5 round mag followers with a wood shim to correct angle.. Plate set is a little more complex but is already worked out and drawn.

Spring guide/ floor plate retainer, just slightly different compared with our current vepr/saiga models. With a V styled button (AK type) rather than a circle. Really stupidly simple part.

Hope to have a clean test model for show by next week.. But we will see.

• Like 3

Sleep is over rated.

I'm glad you are debugging now and not trouble shooting after release! I think ten rounders will be what I land on. Will they be following soon after?

Edited by Nephilim7
  • 4 weeks later...

Some data on our 8 round all steel mag compared with a couple common options. I'll need to get an izzy to compare those stats as well.

I have approval to post a photo later tonight of the current model in testing.

Empty weight

Csspecs 8rd stick Weight .885 lbs or 14.2 ounces (may reduce slightly for production).

Promag 10rd stick Weight .640 lbs or 10.2 ounces

MD arms 20rd Weight 1.925 lbs or 30.8 ounces

Keepshooting 5rd stick Weight .405 lbs or 6.5 ounces

Girth (not bothering with the drum)

Csspecs 8rd stick Top 8 3/16" Mid 7 5/8" Bottom 7 3/4"

Promag 10rd stick Top 8 1/2" Mid 8 1/8" Bottom 8 3/4"

Keepshooting 5rd Top 8 1/2" Mid 8 1/2" Bottom 8 5/8"

Length

Csspecs 8rd stick 9"

Promag 10rd stick 11"

Keepshooting 5rd 6 5/8"

• Like 2

I like the thin girth at the base. That should help a lot with mag pouches. I am sure these will be easier to pull than surefires.

With the weight-- maybe I would prefer plastic for treking around all day and range play, but I'll take steel for night stand or vehicle gun that is getting banged around a lot.

Ok here it is. Its still untreated steel no finish or anything.

PS until production starts these cost around $300+ each to make, so other than a handful of test models there will be no early sales.

Open to questions.

post-2952-0-05267300-1373941503_thumb.jpg

post-2952-0-77099900-1373941506_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

As I mentioned earlier, I have largely filled my 8 round S-12 magazine needs with the Izzy 8 rounders from Legion. Nothing against you at all; they were simply offering a bird in the hand. I would still be interested in acquiring a couple of your magazines for review. Said review to be posted you know where, for shits and grins.

laugh.png

As I mentioned earlier, I have largely filled my 8 round S-12 magazine needs with the Izzy 8 rounders from Legion. Nothing against you at all; they were simply offering a bird in the hand. I would still be interested in acquiring a couple of your magazines for review. Said review to be posted you know where, for shits and grins.

laugh.png

You could sell of your Izzy 8's for $120 each and buy these steel mags and double up, win-win.

• 1 month later...