OK. Before you guys get started I'm not talking about the Kama Sutra.

I'm talking about shooting positions. I am interested to know your favorite.

I realize this may vary depending upon weapon, circumstance, etc., but I'm talking about just a fun day at the range.

The reason I ask is because I have found myself really favoring a kneeling position when firing my Saiga 7.62. And yes it is converted.

I seem to have my best groups in this position despite the fact my club has excellent benches and the opportunity to shoot from a bench rests.

So which are you, Standing, Prone, Bench or Kneeling like me?

• Like 1

I like shooting from a moving vehicle, prefferably on the I-5 in LA. Shooting down from rooftops in bigger cities is my second favorite. My least favorite is shooting in public city parks. Always getting stabbed by sticks and thorns when I'm trying to hide in the bushes.

On a more serious note, shotgun and pistol standing and prone and back against tree or rock with tall bipod legs for rifle shooting for me.

• Like 3
Shotgun.....standing.

Rifle.....prone and braced standing/sitting. Though I will shoot both RH and LH from any position.

Airgun.....braced sitting. (out bedroom window)

Got to agree on the shotgun. Standing almost always with me S12.

Airgun, LOL... I've got rabbit problems too.

My favorite is while moving. I like to be able to move around a little bit and shoot.

I like to practice moving as well. Along with transitions from rifle to side arm. Unfortunately these are only on the rare occasion that I have the range to myself.

I like shooting from a moving vehicle, prefferably on the I-5 in LA. Shooting down from rooftops in bigger cities is my second favorite. My least favorite is shooting in public city parks. Always getting stabbed by sticks and thorns when I'm trying to hide in the bushes.

OK that was good for a hardy belly laugh.

First... LOL @ the thread title. Nice Dave! "That's an attention getter". lol (yeah you know the movie)

I'm pretty much right onboard with Nemo. Shotguns, always standing or moving.

Rifle.... Kneeling or an adapted cross legged position... I guess that would be sitting. If able to shoot from an elevated position and get up over the grass, etc, then prone for ultimate accuracy. If a tree is available then standing braced against the side of it.

Oh and I also like bench shooting if I have a stable bench rest.

• Like 2

Target shooting I like.... bench and prone.

Hunting is usually sitting or kneeling and sometimes prone.

Wingshooting and rabbits is standing or sitting.

I do like her stance the BEST, though....

post-23857-0-31979800-1367287416.jpg

• Like 4

I don't like laying prone hell on my bad shoulder.

but I practice all manners of positions.

I'm in agreement with nemo as well

although with pellet I like to just stand out in the middle of the deck and get a squirrel on the run, my most satisfying game kills have been like that including bow kills on the furry bastards.

• Like 1

Shotgun :International dynamic ( Butt on hip ,barrel straight up ,was taught this when i was 10 by a Champion skeet and trap shooter more than 40 yr ago) it is Very rare i miss even today .

Pistol : dynamic (weaver/modified/free hand i SUCK put me in a barn and i can not hit the walls ,roof or floor unhappy.gif)

Rifle : Any position and all of them including Creedmoor Match 1874 positions bad_smile.gif any rifle including 50 BMG , bolt or semi it matters not to me ! caliber/ range appropriate anything 7.62 x 51 and over you are not safe way past 800 yd out .

Edited by belt fed frog
  • Like 1

Favorite? Reverse cowgirl,she gets an Ak, I get a pistol.

However, as this is not allowed at the range, I shoot standing ofhand mostly! Sitting at the bench with a rest for sighting in, then stand up and SHOOT!

• Like 1

Obviously having a bench type rest will be mist accurate for most guys, but if I don't have a bench type rest in the field I almost always use a tree to lean against, no tree then free hand.

• Like 1

except for the shotgun which I stand, sitting on my ass shooting off a bench for all others firearms, I like to be comfortable when I shoot

I did enough of that running from one place to another, kneeling etc... in the 20 years I was in the Army. I'll let you wannabes do the kneeling, running from one place to another etc....

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I use to always practice standing just because that’s the way I usually ended up having to shoot at 3 gun. It gives you a pretty good ideal how well the gun fits you and how much practical range you really have to hit something. If there is no bench or rest to shoot from given a choice if I’ve got time and visual clearance to the target I’d go prone as a 1st choice or sitting 2nd. I never got to like kneeling as a shooting position seemed too uncomfortable for the little bit of added stability it gives (should note I’ve had surgery on both knees so that affects the decision), I’d sit down before I’d kneel.

• Like 1
Favorite? Reverse cowgirl,she gets an Ak, I get a pistol.

However, as this is not allowed at the range, I shoot standing ofhand mostly! Sitting at the bench with a rest for sighting in, then stand up and SHOOT!

Were it I I would prefer the AK.000.gif

smiley-sex001.gif

I'm 6'2" and the wife is barely 5 foot. Not sure if we could pull that one off. But thanks for the tip Big John

except for the shotgun which I stand, sitting on my ass shooting off a bench for all others firearms, I like to be comfortable when I shoot

I did enough of that running from one place to another, kneeling etc... in the 20 years I was in the Army. I'll let you wannabes do the kneeling, running from one place to another etc....

My highest goal in life is to be just like you Mat.

• Like 4

My highest goal in life is to be just like you Mat.

Dave and I go to the range often. We usually also practice from my smug bench, after being hardened war veterans and putting up with wanna be's and such.

We also like to practice from the grumpy old fuck perch, hard to see down the sights with our noses held so high in disregard for everyone though, so we usually just fire indiscriminately about and yell at people to get off the lawn and stop being trench monkeys and tunnel rats.

Edited by Syndicate