Think I've finally gotten the hang of x-raying steel. This will allow me to image a greater variety of firearms in my personal collection. For now, we are starting with the basics.

Here is my Polish underfolder in 7.62x39

post-6253-0-21711600-1386625384_thumb.jpg

And here is one at a "harder" exposure level. Without getting too technical, this allows better penetration and therefore visualization of the thicker metal parts while overexposing and thus "burning-out" the thinner metal and plastic parts. For example; notice we can now see the bore and the bolt carrier group, but the grip and sling are burned out (not visualized).

post-6253-0-03587300-1386625656_thumb.jpg

Magazines! Bonus!

Chi-Com flatback on the left, ribbed euro-style on the right. And yes, they're hollow points. All I had on me at the time.

post-6253-0-00480800-1386625911_thumb.jpg

post-6253-0-08811000-1386625928_thumb.jpg

post-6253-0-65429700-1386625937_thumb.jpg

Let me know if any images are not displaying correctly or in their full size. I'm still figuring out this image hosting thing.

My entire collection can be viewed here at my Photobucket account. I'm slowly working on imaging my entire collection, so there will be more in the future.

Pretty cool IMHO. Thought you guys could appreciate this as much as I do. What do Yall think?

• Like 21

Can I have permission to blow some images up and frame them?

Sure. These images are my gift to the internet gun-culture world. Glad I could finally give something back.

I did upload these two images to Photobucket in their original .BMP format as well as the .JPGs shown above. To get the maximum size image at optimal quality, follow the link to my photobucket account then click on the image you want (the .BMP versions are labeled "Hi-Def") then click on the magnifying glass in the lower lefthand corner. This will display the image in its own window.  AGAIN click on the magnifying glass in the lower lefthand corner to view the original image. You should see a huge-ass image. You can right-click on this and select 'save as' in order to download it to your computer.

Anyone can use these images however they'd like, but I'd appreciate it if you could give credit to me, DistalRadius. Oh, and please don't use them commercially, that's lame.

• Like 3

Fuckin killer bro! Dude I'm tellin ya... coffee table books man! Get a publisher....  wink.png  I want one!

There are self publish/on demand book services out there.  Once the book file is created customers can have one (or more) printed per order.

I have art friends that have done this for coffee table books.  A couple companies to check out...CafePress, Espresso Book Machine, Print on Demand, etc. 

Great images.  Thanks for sharing.

BTW: You can layer then flatten images with your signature or name for credit.

• Like 1

Curious, are there no handguard present? Also are the rifle two pictures combined?

Handguards are there, just pretty much not visualized due to the extremely low density of wood. If I'd shot it reeeealy light you'd see the wood, but probably nothing within the receiver.

ETA: Just took another look and the wood actually is just barely visible in the first pic. Extremely light but its there. Just look closely above the gas tube. Surprising that the plastic in the grip is denser than the wood HGs, eh?

Yes, the image is manually "stitched" together from two separate exposures. (I only have a 14"x17" imaging area to work with.) My digital imaging software automatically controls the contrast and density so that's why one image looks like a slightly different exposure. Someone with basic Photoshop skills could correct this. By comparison, my old film-based system (Which was what I was using waaay back here.) allowed me full control of the exposure factors, but with no post-processing capability whatsoever. And I had to tape films together in order to create large images. With tape. Fucking tape.

Edited by DistalRadius
  • Like 1

I remember the old way pics, this new one is much easier yes?

It is interesting the wood is less dense than the plastic. Very interesting. I figured they were stitched together just didnt remember you saying so. Thanks for the Clarification, You should do some other factory style folders, or other things that are interesting, and WHO THE HELL IS YOUR BOSS?! they let you do this alone and loaded up, must be private.

I remember the old way pics, this new one is much easier yes?

It is interesting the wood is less dense than the plastic. Very interesting. I figured they were stitched together just didnt remember you saying so. Thanks for the Clarification, You should do some other factory style folders, or other things that are interesting, and WHO THE HELL IS YOUR BOSS?! they let you do this alone and loaded up, must be private.

Much easier, yes. I do kinda miss my darkroom though.009.gif  It was always so peaceful in there. However, I am very happy to never have to file another x-ray film.

Yes, I'd like to do more styles in the future. I have a good variety, but of course theres plenty I don't have as well. I am also limited by my amount of downtime. We're pretty busy here and I don't exactly love staying a few hours after closing.

Ha, my bosses pretty much don't care what goes on in here so long as everything functions correctly and no laws are broken. I'm not trying to brag but I am pretty damn good at my job, so they allow me quite a bit of leeway.

My office is a private practice. I can't even imagine how big of a brick any hospital would shit if they caught onto something like this in their department...