Hearing Protection.. what do you use

What kind of hearing protection do you use  

162 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of hearing protection do you use

• earplugs
    • earmuffs (regular)
    • earmuffs (electronic)
    • other (bullets, peanuts, moldable wax ect...)
    • nothing

just wondering what you all use..

as of right now i use regular old Winchester earmuffs, but am looking into the >DELETED LINK< noise suppression headphones. they seem to be getting decent reviews, and are pretty affordable. 69 bucks at the home depot >DELETED LINK<

Edited by MCASSgt New River
Non-Business Member link.
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

THESE: And while they may not be the most high-quality Electromuffs around, for their $50-$60 price tag they are goddamn amazing. No latency between shot and muffling. And I can rock out!

I use plugs and muffs quite frequently. I have lost a fair amount of hearing over the years, anymore and I would not be able to do my job. So I baby my ears!

I used to have super hearing. But when I was younger, while I used regular muffs at indoor ranges, I used nothing when outside. I fired mostly magnum handgunds, .357, .41, and .44. That cost me about

Posted Images

It varies by what I'm shooting. There are times I use plugs and muffs together. Generally with handguns I use muffs, with rifles I prefer plugs since the muffs tend to get in the way. With my Saiga's it's either or both...

I usually just use my orange earplugs, sometimes mufs but mine suck because they fall apart when you take em of. Never tried the electronic ones but would love to!

I dumped a 5rnd mag full of 00magnum buckshot once without protection and my head hurt for 2 days so I sure wont go without anymore! If I could ever sometime afford

one a supressor would be frickn sweet!

Disposable orange earplugs for me, (I do have a "permanent" set of blue rubber plugs as backup, but they don't work as well). I re-use em when possible, (within reason). They work well and are cheap as hell, so I see no real reason to spend more for hearing protection. I need that money for more parts, ammo, and mags!! :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I don't use anything.

I went thru three enlistments in the USMC ending in the early 60's and fired many thousands of rounds thru my M1 during that time. We used neither eye nor ear protection and now after more than 7 decades I hear just as well or better than my peers. I'd guess some are affected more than others.

I do advise my children to use both eye and ear protecton and insist that my grandchildren use both.

It's a "do as I say" and not a "do as I do" thing.

^ Ah, I see, "asshole". :D

If you can hear "just fine" after what your ears have been through, I guess you must have been born with superhuman hearing. The way I figure it, at age 31, loud concerts and the shooting sessions I participated in without hearing protection have done enough damage at this point. I'm gonna use at least the disposable plugs from here on out. Honestly I think the concerts, (mostly metal), did more damage than anything else.

I use plugs. I have the ones with the cord between them, but I might end up cutting the cord and leaving only about 2" of cord on each.

Yesterday I was firing slugs and got the cord between my shoulder and the buttstock. When the round fired, the recoil caused the cord to get tugged and pulled the plug out. Got a nasty ringing in my ears for a few minutes. :ded:

I use plugs and muffs quite frequently. I have lost a fair amount of hearing over the years, anymore and I would not be able to do my job. So I baby my ears!

• Like 1

Do tell me if you get the ryobi muffs how you like them, I need to have something that I can hear people from 20 feet away and still run stuff like a ram set without damage. Right now I use plugs at work but I can't hear when the guy with the level says to shoot, so about 25% of the time I leave them off for a few shots.

Do tell me if you get the ryobi muffs how you like them, I need to have something that I can hear people from 20 feet away and still run stuff like a ram set without damage. Right now I use plugs at work but I can't hear when the guy with the level says to shoot, so about 25% of the time I leave them off for a few shots.

the range officers have them at my local range, and they love um... check out some of the online reviews from other shooting sites.. 5 stars..

ill prolly get them before this weekend, so ill let everyone know how they work

THESE: And while they may not be the most high-quality Electromuffs around, for their $50-$60 price tag they are goddamn amazing. No latency between shot and muffling. And I can rock out!

HowardLeighImpact-Sports-003.jpg

• Like 2

I used to have super hearing. But when I was younger, while I used regular muffs at indoor ranges, I used nothing when outside. I fired mostly magnum handgunds, .357, .41, and .44. That cost me about 1/4 of my hearing over time. Then I started riding VERY fast motorcycles, GS100/1150, and ZX11 Ninjas with Muzzy Titanium 4 into 1 (VERY LOUD) exhaust. I rode FAST, frequently over 150 MPH. Anyone who rides will tell you that the wind noise over 100 MPH will leave your ears ringing for a few days. The ringing is evidence that you have incrementally (and cumulatively) lost some of your hearing. I lost another 1/4 of my hearing before I wised up and started wearing E.A.R. foam earplugs under my full-face helmet . Totally, I lost over 1/2 of my hearing. It was gradual, and I didn't notice it until it got so bad I realized I was in trouble.

Now my most frequently uttered words are: "HUH?" and "WHAT?". My wife has to repeat dialogue in moves for me, and I have to use closed captioning for the dialogue in movie DVDs.

Guys, PLEASE, PLEASE wear GOOD ear protection. Don't be like me and lose half of your hearing before it's too late. There is nothing that can be done for hearing loss, and even hearing aids can only help a little. While they do raise the volume of sounds for you, they cannot improve your ability to make out and distinguish words clearly.

I now wear Peltor electronic muffs. The TAC 7 is the best, and naturally, more expensive, but it has no bevel at the bottom to allow a good cheek weld when shooting rifles and shotguns from the shoulder. The TAC 6 DOES have bevels on the bottom to alow a good cheek weld, but doesn't suppress gunshots as well as the TAC 7. I also have a pair of Peltor COM-TAC", which has a bevel at the bottom, and is somewhere between the TAC 6 and the TAC 7 for gunshot suppression, and also has provisions for commuinications equipment to plug into it. But it's the most expensive Peltor. Still, it's worth the money. You'll need at least a 21db noise reduction, and more is better, 23 to 25 best.

Foam earplugs DO help, but not as much as good electronic muffs, which allow you to hear range commands and other sounds, and in fact, amplify normal sounds but cut off for loud noises like gunshots. If you must use foam plugs, the yellow E.A.R. are the best. While they are a little difficult to roll tightly enough to get them all the way into the ear canal (which is a must for best protection), they don't tend to work their way out, and give the best hearing protection. The tapered orange plugs are easier to get in, but work their way out, at least for me, and lose their ability to protect the ears when they do. Problem with foam earplugs is that they muffle EVERYTHING, and you don't want to be unable to hear warnings or little things like rattlesnakes.

I strongly urge you all to get some reallly GOOD electronic muffs. You really do need them for shooting, if you don't want to end up like me, half deaf and unable to distinguish all but the clearest speech.

• Like 1

I was issued these out in Iraq, which I fortunately didn't have to use much. But I've used them here and they are pretty sweet.

Yellow end is for impact/weapons noise, but you can still hear small sounds pretty well (IE conversations, keys jingling etc.)

It is louder than orange foamies when you fire. My brother and I where both wearing these and shot a mixed few hundred rounds of .223/.308/7.62x39/12guage/9mm a few weekends ago and our ears where totally good after.

Green end is constant noise reduction (machinery, etc).

Also our direct action guys here in the Coast Guard also use Peltor hearing Pro.

I would definitely recommend them, it enables you to communicate much better and maintain situational awareness in move and shoot type exercises.

post-10068-1251755092.png

I've only shot at an outdoor range so I've only used ear plugs. My work has boxes of them lying around (factory type setting), so whenever I know I'll be shooting, I'll grab a handful.

When I go to the indoor range for my CCL (and any other time) I'll probably wear ear plugs and muffs.

I was issued these out in Iraq, which I fortunately didn't have to use much. But I've used them here and they are pretty sweet.

Yellow end is for impact/weapons noise, but you can still hear small sounds pretty well (IE conversations, keys jingling etc.)

It is louder than orange foamies when you fire. My brother and I where both wearing these and shot a mixed few hundred rounds of .223/.308/7.62x39/12guage/9mm a few weekends ago and our ears where totally good after.

Also our direct action guys here in the Coast Guard also use Peltor hearing Pro.

I would definitely recommend them, it enables you to communicate much better and maintain situational awareness in move and shoot type exercises.

These sound great, (haha), but you didn't mention the name of these plugs...

What're they called? Are they a Peltor product?

Edited by post-apocalyptic

These sound great, (haha), but you didn't mention the name of these plugs...

What're they called? Are they a Peltor product?

Yep Peltor (I got mine from optics planet)

Guide Gear cheapo electric muffs, or sometimes my old "mouse ears" from the Sub. If you think S-12's are loud - try standing a watch between 2 10,600 Cu/In Fairbanks diesels!

Protect your ears, those old man hearing aids cost 1,600$$! (not there yet - but its gonna happen one day!)