What's your preferred carry?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carry my Rock Island 1911 Officer's (185gr Hornady Hollow points) anytime I can. Job doesn't allow me to carry at work so after hours I carry. I have to carry lefty due to an injury I got while in the Marines so for all of you like me that can't find a holster for your weapon in Lefty this is what I'm ordering (or getting for Christmas).

http://crossbreedholsters.com/IWB/tabid/56/CategoryID/1/List/0/Level/1/ProductID/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

Currently using the fobus paddle and it works great in the winter but I would prefer the IWB.

Good luck,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

PM sent

Ruger P90 in a Bianchi yaqui slide.

I miss my P90 so much. Most reliable handgun I have ever owned.

I mostly carry mine at work at the tattoo shop, and having an open carry helps act as a great "politeness stick", Seeing as tattoo shops an liquor stores tend to attract a less than upstanding clientele, I find the preventative benefits are outstanding. Everyone who comes here knows we pack, so we never have trouble. You can see the change in attitude when some ex-con or gangsta wanna-be comes in, all cocky, full of piss and vinegar,then sees the gun on your side and he suddenly starts calling you "Sir".

I have thought of going Glock for the round capacity, as these days burglars and robbers seem to come in numbers, but so far so good. Can any of you LEO's shed light on how many rounds are typically fired in robberies and such? Do folks really end up shooting 14 rounds, or do real life situations end up with a couple shots and a quick retreat or what? My only real worry now is my 5 rounds only.

post-16191-12605559767963_thumb.jpg

I mostly carry mine at work at the tattoo shop, and having an open carry helps act as a great "politeness stick", Seeing as tattoo shops an liquor stores tend to attract a less than upstanding clientele, I find the preventative benefits are outstanding. Everyone who comes here knows we pack, so we never have trouble. You can see the change in attitude when some ex-con or gangsta wanna-be comes in, all cocky, full of piss and vinegar,then sees the gun on your side and he suddenly starts calling you "Sir".

I have thought of going Glock for the round capacity, as these days burglars and robbers seem to come in numbers, but so far so good. Can any of you LEO's shed light on how many rounds are typically fired in robberies and such? Do folks really end up shooting 14 rounds, or do real life situations end up with a couple shots and a quick retreat or what? My only real worry now is my 5 rounds only.

I seem to remember seeing a statistic (FBI I think) that said there were a fairly low number of rounds fired in the "typical" gunfight, whatever that is. Something like 2 or 3 rounds. I don't know if that was civilian only or combined with law enforcement incidents, too.

I refer to my Bersa as my little buddy, goes with me most of the time. Its a Thunder .380 so you can laugh at my lack of man-hood if you want.

Of course if I head into town I make sure I have enough .380 to finish the job ;)

post-1914-12606301563085_thumb.jpg

Just saw this thread. I carried a G27 for years, it seemed to get heavier over the years and was a pain to conceal in summer clothes. I carry a PF9 now. Super light, super thin, easy to carry when active or lightly dressed. Packed with 8rds of Corbon DPX.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At the very least a G19 and a spare 19 round (17+2) mag. And when I leave the house I carry a bag with various items in it, one of which is a loaded 33 round mag for the G19. I don't relish the idea of coming home to multiple armed home invaders, which is how it generally happens around here, so maybe I go a bit overboard.

But it's kind of like a parachute to me, if you need it once and don't have it, it could possibly be the last time you ever need anything . . .

I refer to my Bersa as my little buddy, goes with me most of the time. Its a Thunder .380 so you can laugh at my lack of man-hood if you want.

Of course if I head into town I make sure I have enough .380 to finish the job ;)

post-1914-12606301563085_thumb.jpg

Scoutjoe, I would like to know you what your thoughts are on the Promag drum attached to your Bersa Thunder.

Thanks,

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

I'm guessing only a few of us have our permits here. :unsure::lolol:

I'll have to take some pictures of my carry gear one of these days...

I carry a G30 IWB, G19 IWB, Keltec PF9 IWB, Keltec P32 IWB & pocket carry.

All depending on what I'm wearing/what I want to deal with that day.

I also started making my own holsters, and I'm getting pretty darn good at it now. :super: but I still have a ways to go.

Biggest thing I need is better snaps, the kind that requires a very strong hand... :angel:

I'm guessing only a few of us have our permits here. :unsure::lolol:

I'll have to take some pictures of my carry gear one of these days...

I carry a G30 IWB, G19 IWB, Keltec PF9 IWB, Keltec P32 IWB & pocket carry.

All depending on what I'm wearing/what I want to deal with that day.

I also started making my own holsters, and I'm getting pretty darn good at it now. :super: but I still have a ways to go.

Biggest thing I need is better snaps, the kind that requires a very strong hand... :angel:

Jeez man....4 guns!!! you must be king of the New York reload!

• 4 weeks later...

My primary for several years has been my Glock 17, but it's not as concealable as many other handguns out there. I'm waiting on a new IWB holster for my Taurus PT 145 Pro. Should be here anytime.

Thinking of a smaller secondary pistol too. Maybe a 380.

Corbin

My primary for several years has been my Glock 17, but it's not as concealable as many other handguns out there. I'm waiting on a new IWB holster for my Taurus PT 145 Pro. Should be here anytime.

Thinking of a smaller secondary pistol too. Maybe a 380.

Corbin

Take a look at the Sig 238. I got to shoot it finally today. Thing is a straight shooter and cycled everything I put in it. I was using Fiocci FMJ target loads, Speer Gold Dots, Buffalo Bore +P FMJ and JHP rounds. Great BUG and carry option for days when putting on a holster is a chore. SSPX0107.jpg

If I had all the money I have spent on holsters over the years, I could probably buy a full-custom Wilson. Several years ago I bought a model 457 Smith. That gun would shoot anything I put through it (including my dog crap handloads with cast bullets) with ONE exception....CCI "snake loads". For some reason it wouldnt lock up. Like most of us do at times, I dummied up and sold that gun..and have regretted it ever since.

During the time I carried the Smith, I discovered the "clip draw" and it was by far my favorite way to carry.

After some time carrying a stainless snub 38 (that I couldnt shoot worth a damn) I got tired of the constant hassle of the cylinder bulk and went back to what I know..A 1911.

For the last few years Ive carried a Springfield Champion. First thing I bought for it was a clip draw. I think one thing I like about the clip draw is that it holds the piece in against your side close enough that the weight isnt as noticeable...It rides "on" the hip rather than hanging "off" the hip.

.50GI, huh? For some reason, I've always thought a longslide 1911 in that bore would be truly badass... as would a .50GI Thompson. "Yes, it's a Thompson. Yes, it's a .50-cal. How lucky do you feel today, Punk?" LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I was raised on the "eat, sleep, drink, shower with your 1911" state of mind. It's not hard to tote a fullsize .45 around all day if you get a comfortable rig. I use a Galco Miami and 3 total mags mixed with hydrashock and golden sabers.

1911holster.jpg

I'm thinking about having Ted Blocker build me a "Dillinger Rig", or just getting a lefty and righty Bianchi X-15 and bastardizing 'em together for a dual-shoulder arrangement. (Advantage with Blocker is, I might be able to have them alter the design to accommodate longslides; Bianchi's out of the custom-work game and doesn't catalog anything in "concealment" for a 6"-plus* 1911 I've seen.)

*You're reading that right, I've even been considering building AMT-style 7" longslides, but that might be past the point of diminishing returns--6 seems just about the right amount of "stretch" to stay concealable. OTOH, for 10mm the additional inch may help...