How many guns are ready to go to war - NOW?

How many gun owners are there in the US? What, 90 million or something like that?

How many have guns or mags or ammo that haven't actually been tested?

I have several firearms that are loaded and ready to pick up and shoot (RIGHT NOW) if the door bursts open, but the rest are still in a "project" state.

By ready right now, I mean specific ammo (every different kind of ammo you have) is loaded in a specific mag and put in a specific gun (and it's all been tested (AND ZEROED). I have several that would PROBABLY work. Others are sitting there waiting for me to do something to get them ready.

If I am any indication, I'd say that most people have more guns that aren't ready for personal defense than those they have that are ready - RIGHT NOW.

The AKs are always ready, but I still have AGP mags that I bought from the e-store here for the S-12 that I haven't tested. I think I have two AGP mags that have been. I'm sure the rest will work, in fact I'm REALLY sure they'll work, BUT they haven't actually been tested.

My New Year's resolution, which I started yesterday, is to get everything battle ready. Every mag, tested with every ammo I have and in every applicable gun I have and every gun zeroed. It takes some time and it takes a lot of ammo to do it, but what use is it of having the things if they're sitting there gathering dust and not ready to go?

Edited by Bounce12
  • Like 7
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How many gun owners are there in the US? What, 90 million or something like that?   How many have guns or mags or ammo that haven't actually been tested?   I have several firearms that are loade

Bounce, as the OP you posted a scenario lacking in detail. I simply do not know what sort of scenario your are dreaming up in your head. The word "war" was used. A simple neighborhood dispute even inv

So true......I'm in the same boat. That's a good New Year's resolution.

Have fun cleaning them all after testing. :devil:

Also, make sure you check all the lights and optics regularly and have

back up batteries for all.

Yeah the cleaning is the only "less than desirable" part of the whole thing, but you're right.

And the batteries thing - great. I have an eotech that I should probably change the batteries in. Start fresh. Great idea.

How many gun owners are there in the US? What, 90 million or something like that?

How many have guns or mags or ammo that haven't actually been tested?

My brother and I have some hand-me-down family revolvers between us. They were sitting around for years, ostensibly serving as self-defense weapons in the house. When we took them to the range, all three of them had consistent failures to fire (in double-action) mode, and needed springs replaced. I'm glad they never had to be called into service!

My New Year's resolution, which I started yesterday, is to get everything battle ready. Every mag, tested with every ammo I have and in every applicable gun I have and every gun zeroed.

Good plan. I'm working on the same over my Christmas vacation.

Jim

Edited by Jim Digriz

That's why I crap canned some off brand 40 round AR mags last week. But I DO KNOW that everything else is ready to go. I LIKE to shoot, and get some wierd ass looks when I go to the range and take up an entire table with stacked up toys and ammo. Even been called some real choice names while there, but hey, I resemble that remark. :)

That's why I crap canned some off brand 40 round AR mags last week. But I DO KNOW that everything else is ready to go. I LIKE to shoot, and get some wierd ass looks when I go to the range and take up an entire table with stacked up toys and ammo. Even been called some real choice names while there, but hey, I resemble that remark. :)

I don't care for the 40 rounders in general. They're too long and they're difficult to shoot prone. They sound real cool in theory, but in practice they're a pain in the ass (IMO). I had to actually get down and try to use one once to find that out. That's what I mean by "actually tested." lol Thinking about it won't hack it.

Good post.

After my recent unexpected & surprising failure, I got ALL mine perfect.

I still have a few S-12 mags to get there though. Currently I'm sitting on 15 rounds of dependable S-12 3" mag capacity, 24 rounds of Kinda & 10 rounds (promag) of I STRONGLY doubt it without a LOT more work.

EVERYTHING else is tested, re-cleaned & ready. Feeds, ejects & fires without flaw.

Once again good post.

I've had the same thought.....

I know all my pistols work like a charm, mags ready to go for a few of them, my 22's all work great, mags ready, bolt actions and pump guns i know are good to go. My saiga .223 is sighted in and many mags ready, x39 needs sighting in yet. SKS needs some work yet....need to get the front sight back on after cutting the barrel to 17 inches.

so i need to get to the range a bit more and make sure i'm 100%......will get there one of these days.

I used to buy and build nonstop, until I found myself in the situation you describe. Lots of gear, a little something acting up on everything. I stopped buying until everything I own is 100%. Work on it, get accessories you want, range test, work on it, tweak it, range test, work on it, range test, range test, range test....... ahhhh PERFECT. Grab another one. Been doing that for a year now... 99 percent there. I will be complete with this cycle on everything I own the weekend after Christmas. Then I fill another hole in my gear. I already have another baby picked out.

Bounce you hit the nail right on the head bro. I found myself in the same boat with my "project guns" about a year ago, and since then when I go to the range to have some fun, I always try to allow some time to get whatever kinks I can worked out of something, every time I go out. Whether it's a mag, a new prototype part, or a problematic gun, or just getting one sighted in good, I like to cross something off the list of "things to do" each time. Always take along at least one gun that you already got working 100% (or at least close) or it becomes all work and no play (which makes johnny a dull boy....lol).

I have my favorites that are absolutely ready as can be. I just don't consider it a high priority to have all of my guns and mags in that kind of state at all times mainly because its a very long process to truly get to that point of absolute trust with each weapon and mag. I also have some weapons and mags that I have no real intention of ever "going to war" with anyway. They are solely for range shooting.

mainly because its a very long process to truly get to that point of absolute trust with each weapon and mag.

Exactly. I have several different brands of ammo for some guns and a couple of different weights within each brand.

To test them all in each mag and in each gun takes an incredible amount of time and it's expensive. However, I can't really rest easy unless I know, with absolute certainty, that the thing will work as advertised when the bad guys come through the door.

Bounce you hit the nail right on the head bro. I found myself in the same boat with my "project guns" about a year ago, and since then when I go to the range to have some fun, I always try to allow some time to get whatever kinks I can worked out of something, every time I go out. Whether it's a mag, a new prototype part, or a problematic gun, or just getting one sighted in good, I like to cross something off the list of "things to do" each time. Always take along at least one gun that you already got working 100% (or at least close) or it becomes all work and no play (which makes johnny a dull boy....lol).

Yeah, it's frustrating when I go to the range to work out three or four known problems and come home with two new ones. LOL

But that's really the point. I don't want a new one to crop up at the wrong time and new ones crop up all the damn time (like my Glock breaking yesterday as I was testing my PD ammo). FUCK ME!

As I was driving home, it occurred to me that if I hadn't tested that gun, it could have failed right when I needed it most. I also found two mags that wouldn't feed exactly right EVERY SINGLE TIME. I also found that a bipod was fucked up.

It occurred to me that I had, in the past, bought stuff like mags and ammo figuring it would work as advertised if needed. I bought it, loaded it and figured I was good to go. Shit, that's a bad way to think. I find problems all the damn time with shit that's supposed to work. That's when I decided to test every single thing I have (guns, mags, ammo, etc).

It's a lengthy, time consuming and expensive process.

Edited by Bounce12

Everything is ready execpt the S-12 because it is being converted. It won't be done untill the end of January. I hate the fact that it is down but I have 4 other shotguns at the ready. A new Aresnal SGL-21 should be here in a couple of weeks. I also have a very healthy supply of ammo on hand and I am fortunate to have a lot of friends who are also ready for anything that might happen. Almost all of my guns need to be cleaned, mabey tomorrow. Having children of my own my first priority is getting them to saftey. Most of my planning goes to that. Guns are invaluable but so are bug out vehicles, food, water, gas and medical supplies....etc. :killer: Planning-planning-planning I don't think it ever ends.

all my guns are 100% ready with enough ammo to hold out for a good while.

having said that- none are finished, they all have things I want done to them.. But they are all assembled, sighted, and ready. I also have a few packs with loaded mags.

I also have a real thing about having ammo.. If I go out and use a lot of ammo.. I order more immediately.. I HATE not having enough ammo to make a gun viable in a SHTF situation.

edit: forgot to mention

My pack also includes a basic cleaning kit and replacement recoil and hammer springs.. just in case.

Edited by volkov

You can only use one at a time.

I have 2 favorites and they are cleaned and ready only 1 mag for each is loaded, age old argument that the springs weaken, dirt and dust, etc.... Stocked up on ammo and still want more. Prices are down a bit and will get some as soon as the kitty builds up...

I keep all my guns clean but some are seldom used. My SHTF rifles are ready and I shoot regularly....

90 percent of my guns (which isn't a small number, more than I can use) are ready to go, and sighted in, as well as enough ammo on hand to get through just about anything. All my lights are in working order, and I have plenty of field gear, like LBE type stuff, to carry mags and ammo that I know works. I have spare batteries for the lights and whatever optics need them.

Guess i forgot about the damn 'cam' again. Lol..

Ordering more x39 ammo after Xmas and car inspection passes. Also getting a shotgun (12 ga) of some variety too.

Used to take a camcoder bag to range loaded with 6 different handguns in it loaded and ready to go. Just open the bag and r-n-r. Extra mags were always loaded up also. The idea is to be able to switch between say glock,xd, and sig with out missing the x ring on the target with the different grips/angles. Got ALOT of WTF looks. Didn't care. I lived in NJ then so just imagine the looks.... hahahaha

Had a few Promags for my Sig that sucked.. And just threw them out. Couple Glock 30 mags also that were not drop-free.

Been ready since 91'. Just waiting for the floor to drop out. smile.gif

Edited by YWHIC--OutOfLine

100% ready, .... grab an go.....right now.... only 1 :( The rest are not far behind. 1 I need to either sell of or fix, cant decide (the old sr-41) I get those WTF looks at the range too. The one I go to is up in the mountains and folks there mostly use Remington bolts or some other type of bolt. So when I pull out the PSL or the S308 I get funny looks. Once one guy even asked me if I was shooting an elephant gun because of the noise it made. I told him it was just a Mosin 91/30, he never heard of it or the x54 caliber.

Bounce beat me too it.. That's easily my favorite picture in a long time.. and Glenn Beck just tops it off.. Fricken awesome/hilarious. You outa frame it and have it by the front door, any would be robber would shit himself.

:super:

I might have to make that my desktop background

Edited by volkov

Bounce beat me too it.. That's easily my favorite picture in a long time.. and Glenn Beck just tops it off.. Fricken awesome/hilarious. You outa frame it and have it by the front door, any would be robber would shit himself.

:super:

I might have to make that my desktop background

Could you imagine waking up Chrismas morning and finding that Santa had left you all this?

lol