Would folks be interested in a new US-made semi auto 12 gauge platform

I was wondering what would come of the US market for awesome, magazine-fed shotguns if the Saiga were no longer an option. If a US manufacturer decided to try and fill the void, what would the response need to be to succeed?

Even if the Saiga 12 was an option, would you forsake your beloved Saiga for a reliable, high-capacity weapon for under a grand? How important is interchangability of parts (like stocks, pistols grips, and magazines) to you?

Well, I figured I would ask these questions here, as this forum has its finger on the pulse of the current market.

Feel free to expound on what a perfect, from the factory, US-built 12 gauge would need to be to get you to bite with your hard-earned dollars.

Include a price point if you so desire.

This should be interesting.

Thanks,

---Catter

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

they have drums in other countries  

I have S12s already so what a new gun would have to offer would be different than if I didn't.   If I didn't I would be looking (after considerations of reliability, quality, etc) at price and what

Where do I pre-order?

Much like the US-made AK receiver market for the 7.62 & 5.45, a US made AK 12ga should follow the original receiver design very closely. factory pistol grip and folding stock would be options, of course, since it is domestic firearm.

I think a gun like this would probably cost $700-$800 for excellent quality.

This poll was started purely out of curiosity but, I would love to say, PREORDER HERE for the newest, most bad a$$ 12 gauge to ever hit the civilian market!

I just hoped to flush a few of our manufacturers out to maybe give some insight into their capabilities and to guage interest into a prospective market. (If anyone wants to tool up, let me know. Lets discuss. I have ideas for a a new, patentable gas system).

I personally would love to buy a semi AA12, but with the mags non-existent/expensive/proprietary and a price tag of over 2 grand, I won't be joining that waiting list any time soon.

---Catter

Edited by Wildcatter

With U.S. unions, insurance, licensing and the rest I don't see a competitor to the low cost saiga-12 arriving anytime soon..

HOWEVER: if you can make me a reliable, ergonomic, mag fed, semi auto 12 gauge made here in the USA for a fair price.. Yeah I'd go for it. Not a big fan of giving my money to the ruskies but with the way our industry works there's just no domestic option if you want a decent product at a good price.

Edited by volkov

Ill market the shit out of it.

if you can keep the cost below 1200 bucks, im all over it, dude!!!

(i can probably help you with some legal questions as well)

edit : a manufacturers license aint a big friggin deal, either, if you got the bucks

Edited by BVamp

I just want the 200 dollar Saiga back...

I want $2.00 gallons of gas back while your at it...lol

even though i remember bitching about 96 cent gas when i was a kid filling my ATV up, my dad got a quick stab in and bitched about 15 cents a gallon gas when he was a kid...

• Like 1

You know. the drums for our Saiga 12s don't exist anywhere but here in the U S of A.

Correct me if I'm wrong but these guns are built and fielded with 8-round mags in Russia.

they have drums in other countries

tmp_sd_10_1-tm-tfb.jpg

The Russian guns have mag-wells, kinda makes it hard to load up a drum into a mag-well...

If it was built with several improvements as factory standard items and the quality was high enough out of the box-yes. That said-it looks like both CMMG and (forgive me) AA, have both bailed on like projects. It's funny, everybody and their brother seems to be making AR's but not one is doing AK platforms or a cross-breed of the two.

Edited by 6500rpm

I think it would be better if manufacturers made parts to make a US saiga-type shotgun.

Stuff like barrels, gas blocks, and trunions.

NoDak could make lowers.

For someone to make a complete S12-type of shotgun they would have to charge a lot, and if not, they would anyway.

If it was built with several improvements as factory standard items and the quality was high enough out of the box-yes. That said-it looks like both CMMG and (forgive me) AA, have both bailed on like projects. It's funny, everybody and their brother seems to be making AR's but not one is doing AK platforms or a cross-breed of the two.

My sig556 is somewhat of a crossbreed of the AR and AK.

• Like 1

I have S12s already so what a new gun would have to offer would be different than if I didn't.

If I didn't I would be looking (after considerations of reliability, quality, etc) at price and what after market parts were available, or likely to be, namely magazines.

If someone were to make a US made box fed gun I would not want to see a replica of the S12. I would rather see a new platform with enhancements. The main things I would like, straight insert/drop free mags, LRBHO, ambidextrous controls (although I would settle for simply improved controls). Other nice things would be a flat top rail so I can mount optics, ghost rings or whatever I like. Essentially the things people go to effort to put on S12s. As much as I love my S12 I see there being a lot of room for an improved design

I'm actually interested in the gun ATI supposedly will be importing, the AR look alike. I think I would prefer a US platform more akin to something like that but with notable enhancements to that desing as well.

• Like 3