Weapons on college campuses, good or bad?

Today at 4:00 PM a student at the University of North Florida was robbed while in an on-campus parking lot. The student was approached by a man who demanded money. When the student refused a fight ensued, the suspect then pulled out a black revolver, hit the student in the head and took his money and backpack. Since there are no weapons allowed on campus, the student couldn't fight back and just had to hope the suspect wasn't going to pull the trigger. Fortunately, the suspect drove off in a getaway car and the student has no serious injuries.

If anyone is interested in responding, how do you feel about weapons or firearms on college campuses and why?

I personally believe if you have a concealed permit, you should be allowed on campus with your weapon or firearm ESPECIALLY on a public campus. Robberies and rapes occur in parking lots because the perpetrators KNOW the students have no weapons on them. There is debate right now in Florida if an individual is even allowed to have one in his or her car. On many campuses, you can't even have one in your vehicle let alone on your person.

Edited by socom688

Criminals don't obey laws, making laws to influence criminals is as stupid as the liberals that think they work!

+1, Carry permit should be allowed to carry.

To us it may seem like common sense that "Laws only affect Law-abiding Citizens", and unfortunately, we also know that "Common sense is not so common"

Fish in a barrel for the Bad Guys.

• Like 1

yes they shoud be able to carry on a campus. and at public parks, and public gatherings. with carry permits on the rise, crimes will rise in the places that are prohibited from carrying.

a gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone....

• Like 2

CC should be allowed everywhere that doesn't have other armed guards and also screens everyone for weapons. In other words, any establishment who prevents law abiding citizens from defending themselves should be required to ensure their safety from people who don't care about their rules and laws.

Edited by DogMan
  • Like 4

I myself am a college student and some of my classes are at night and i usually have to park in the overflow parking area that is not lit and is a decent walk from the college. I totally 100% agree that students should be allowed to carry on campus with a carry permit.

I dont know about anybody else, but I carry most places I go regardless unless Im going out for a night of drinking or court .I try not to let the law get in the way of my safety.

^^This

Although I dont go to college, if I did I dont think I would be carrying in class. Actually on second thought, yeah it would probably be in a back-pack!

My college has had it's fair share of crimes such as robbery, theft, armed robbery, assault , sexual assault, and vandalism, and that is just in the parking lots. There are bad neighborhoods close to the campus where most of these criminals probably live. Not too long ago a student had almost been robbed by a criminal but luckily he got away before the situation had elevated. I would rather have a means of defending myself rather than getting harmed by a criminal who has no regard for obeying the law.

Another Gun Free Zone "success" story.

http://content.usato.../1#.T1cgJ4H5YtI

Oh great, this happened in Jacksonville where the UNF incident occurred, also where I live horror.gif . Jax sucks..

Its nice to see these responses. I know this forum is mostly liberty loving, hardworking republicans who know the value of a dollar and know freedom isn't free, but its still nice to see people agree with on-campus carry. Most of the liberal, tree hugging, atheist there-is-no-God, ignorant assholes I am surrounded by and fed BS from are so against weapons, any time I talk guns with a ROTC buddy of mine, at least 10-20 people are starring with either disgust, amazement or confusion.

I am ready to GTFO of college.

Another Gun Free Zone "success" story.

http://content.usato.../1#.T1cgJ4H5YtI

Oh great, this happened in Jacksonville where the UNF incident occurred, also where I live horror.gif . Jax sucks..

Its nice to see these responses. I know this forum is mostly liberty loving, hardworking republicans who know the value of a dollar and know freedom isn't free, but its still nice to see people agree with on-campus carry. Most of the liberal, tree hugging, atheist there-is-no-God, ignorant assholes I am surrounded by and fed BS from are so against weapons, any time I talk guns with a ROTC buddy of mine, at least 10-20 people are starring with either disgust, amazement or confusion.

I am ready to GTFO of college.

I also think ignorance can come in the form of being either Republican or a democrat. I believe that either one is merely a matter of "Positioning" and of "How much Lube " they use on you.....They are both Fucking your ass....one just gives you the "Reach-around" and that is the one you pick.

• Like 2

Guns on campuses are bad because law abiding citizens with carry permits will not carry their firearm.

Only criminals carry weapons at (most) higher education institutions in the United States.

Some campuses are changing their policies to honor the second amendment.

Many will never allow legal carry on campus due to the fact that the regents and faculty truly believe a lecture hall with legally armed students is a shootout waiting to happen.

My main reservation about this is the storage of the guns and ammo. when not being carried. Student housing is often not very secure, and I'd be very concerned about the guns and ammo being stolen. I usually don't leave a gun in my car in large parking lots, either.

I used to live in an apartment that was close to a college campus, and there were a lot of students there. I went out of town on business, and came back to find my place cleaned-out! Including the pistol I had hidden there... I got most of my stuff back fairly soon, including the gun, but that was NOT a good feeling, knowing that my gun was no longer in my possession or control. It turns out the students living upstairs got stoned on Xanax and got stupid. They broke in to several apartments and had all the stolen stuff in their apartment, and in their cars in the parking lot.

I now live in a house with an alarm system and a very good gun safe! ;)

My main reservation about this is the storage of the guns and ammo. when not being carried. Student housing is often not very secure, and I'd be very concerned about the guns and ammo being stolen. I usually don't leave a gun in my car in large parking lots, either.

I used to live in an apartment that was close to a college campus, and there were a lot of students there. I went out of town on business, and came back to find my place cleaned-out! Including the pistol I had hidden there... I got most of my stuff back fairly soon, including the gun, but that was NOT a good feeling, knowing that my gun was no longer in my possession or control. It turns out the students living upstairs got stoned on Xanax and got stupid. They broke in to several apartments and had all the stolen stuff in their apartment, and in their cars in the parking lot.

I now live in a house with an alarm system and a very good gun safe! wink.png

College housing is not the same as college. The majority of people going to school as well as faculty do not live in college dorms on campus (depending on the university). Visitors will also come for sporting and other public events and have to disarm before setting foot on the campus.

If you choose to live on-campus, then you have to abide by the housing rules, which can mean no guns, no alcohol, no women which equals no fun!

• Like 1

I spent 8 years in and out of college(s), so I think I have a fairly good idea of how they're set up... ;) ( Kept changing majors.)

3 of the campuses I was in DID have the majority of students either living on-campus or in various forms of off-campus housing within 15 miles. I said "student housing" and didn't specify on-campus. :)

CC permit should allow CC everywhere but the courthouse..... period

The problem is when you ban guns and screen for guns inside any building the outside of that building becomes a hunting ground for the deranged. Nobody going in or out of that building except for cops will be armed and those cops are not there in a position to "protect" you. They are there to disarm you, and then respond after you get shot.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2111853/Shocking-photos-courthouse-shootout-police-left-deputy-bystander-gunman-wounded.html

To me / IMHO the problem with this question is the same as many questions that are posed here and elsewhere (some by me), they call for a one size fits all blanket answer. As a general rule I would much rather see a better screening system for who is on the campus and a hell of a lot better security system other than let a random selection (1st by age / over 21) by who has them bunch of very young inexperienced people try to police themselves with guns. May not be a very popular view here but oh well I’d rather keep it an institute of learning than a possible small war zone.

Edited by 20-Mags