Panic buying seems in full effect. How long will the shelves be dry?

Well it seems all the gun, magazine, ammo ban talk has people in full panic mode. Online vendors are drying up fast, mags out of stock all over, shelves at the stores are empty.(at least where I am) So how long you think its gonna last?

Am I being too laid back? Should I max the credit cards out ammo? lol(not really)

Is it really that bad? or am I just jumping to conclusions. It seems pretty bad.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll come out and say it:   FUCK CHEAPER THAN DIRT!!!!!!   I, too, remember the price gouging, especially on shipping. Remember when Yugo M67 first hit the market? Everywhere else was selling it

Yeah, I remember this...

I find "gunshow's" a waste fo time these days as they mostly cater to the AR "fanboys". I have zero interest in ANYTHING AR (or any junk related to it). Americans get all swept up in the "gotta have

Posted Images

Seems to have started early because of bans you had mentioned.

Was hoping to have alittle extra time before holiday/election panic.

May have to go out and look at usual stores.

Didn't see it at sporting good store yesterday.

Maybe their holding back stock to raise prices?

If your buying in panic mode then it's already to late for you........

the Klinton AWB should have taught everyone a lesson.

THOSE THAT FORGET HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT.

I think it can be assumed that most folks on a gun board understand that. I have plenty of ammo and probably 100 mags or more for various guns. But you can always use more!

• Like 3

Some of my local and close by stores have ammo. One store always has pallets of ammo but not always the best prices. Good mags? Not so much... I get my mags online or sometimes at the local ACE Hardware. Local Walmart is out of a lot of stuff because the warehouse is out as well. It's not terrible here yet but I'm noticing it a lot online.

I have said this before and I will say it again. These things can and will always turn on a dime. I do not see the panic buying to slow down anytime soon. I'm just glad I made all of my large purchases before the 2008 election. Reminds me of panic buying of emergency supplies before a hurricane hits. Good luck!

http://www.ammoland..../#axzz22L2JCPHX

Edited by yakdung
  • Like 1

I think alot of people have seen all this coming for some time and have taken appropriate measures. But, there are always those who wait until the last minute to try to buy what they need. The place where I get my stuff is out of the better mags and all thats left are the cheaper 20 round magazines. Ammo supply does not seem to be effected here YET.

Edited by pinetopfirefighter

I think every serious shooter has been aware of this since the commie was fraudently was elected. We all knew that this would be coming. It was just a matter of a large # of white people been shot by a WHITE shooter. More were killed by a muslim extremist that was in the US ARMY on a military installation. Didn't see any cry for gun control then! So, saavy shooters have been buying ammo and mags for 4 years now. Personally, after the AWB died is when I started.

Since we cant get online ammo in MA anyways, I've been stalking the local places for a while now. I bought the last Tula x39 I could find at Walmart in a 30 Mile radius the other day, only 3 boxes but I already have a few ammo cans full, so I'll have to take it as I find it. Tula 308 has been in high supply though, guess everyone around here is scared of the AK/AR bans

Edited by VR6Shooter

One thing to consider... If you reload, I would consider stocking up on powder and primers.

YA did that already too another one of Klintons scares the "expiring primer"

And I personally know people that have no intrest in reloading that were buying supplies back in 08.

Which dried up those supplies for people like me that do reload.

I buy them 15 K @ a order for the free hazmat and powder 8 lbs a order too, same reason.

Oh and on a sour capitalist NOTE:

In the 08 election I sold some 380 and bought a complete Mforgery and it was less then 1/2 a case.

Now that I think about it I kinda like the panic buyers.

• Like 1

Well, the only seller on my usual list that is out of AK mags seems to be AIM, but then they had the best price on them so that seems only right. J&G, Century, SOG, Centerfire, still show 30 and 40 mags in stock in both steel and poly. Ammo is fine here, about the usual levels at the two local suppliers I use, just had a guy stop by my house yesterday wanting me to ID some mags and ammo he had and see what it was worth, by the time he left I had 100 rounds of the Russian 122gr HP for $30, sold the AR mags he had full of ammo to one buddy of mine, the .22 Heritage Rough Rider he had to another, and he was a happy camper. I'm waiting on a Cabela's gift card to get here in the next couple of days, I'll use it to order something shipped to their store, probably some soft point x39 for hunting season.

I am going to keep stock piling ammo for as long and as cheap as I can just to make sure I have enough just incase things get much worse. cheap ammo is out there if you know where to look I just ordered 500 rounds of 45 online for 142 bucks Lets just hope obummer is voted out and things get back to normal...or as normal as possible when it comes to the anti gun rehtoric

Maybe the whole Aurora incident was a conspiracy conducted by the firearms and ammunition industry to boost sales in concert with Romney vs. Obama this year. Think about it: all this free publicity about legally buying slick guns and lots of ammo online. Huh? Huh? MK ultra. Different suspect in court. Prove me wrong.

Seriously though, manufacturers and importers should have known that sales would have picked up before the election, but the increased anti-gun rhetoric following the murders might have overwhelmed their plans, which would have included planning for a potential post-election slow-down.

My wife brought up a point last night, and it made logical sense. Some of those buying(aka stocking) up will relax if Odungpile is defeated, and sell off their stash. Same thing happened after Clinton left and also right after the AWB expired. Wife thought I was bonkers when I started buying every round of x39 I saw at yard/estate sales. I didn't have a rifle then, but still bought it for pennies a round. Now, I'm way ahead of the curve. Still lacking in the 5.56 dept., mainly because I have only had the rifle about 3 months. The first 500 round brick I bought went to breaking the rifle in and the oldest getting ready for requalify. However, the economy has hit some locals in the wallet, and they are slowly selling off what they should be saving.

I'm going to the fun show this weekend as well. Should be an interesting day given the last couple of months.

So I am fairly new to this whole scene having owned my first Saiga less than a year. Is everyone stocking up for SHTF protection\provisions or for weekend excursions to the firing range (or where ever you shoot) or to sell\trade at a profit some point down the road or - ? Besides saying "you can never have enough", just what is considered an adequate "stockpile" of ammo? Is that for every single weapon you own or just your primary "go to" weapon? I hate to sound like the newbie but I am interested in learning the different points of view so I can make my own educated decisions...

So I am fairly new to this whole scene having owned my first Saiga less than a year. Is everyone stocking up for SHTF protection\provisions or for weekend excursions to the firing range (or where ever you shoot) or to sell\trade at a profit some point down the road or - ? Besides saying "you can never have enough", just what is considered an adequate "stockpile" of ammo? Is that for every single weapon you own or just your primary "go to" weapon? I hate to sound like the newbie but I am interested in learning the different points of view so I can make my own educated decisions...

Well since you're new.. Just a couple years ago during election time, it was nearly impossible to find much of anything on shelves or online for a while. A lot of retail stores didn't refresh their stock for months. If you like to shoot, that leave you high and dry unless you've already stocked up thousands of rounds.

Only five years ago or so, I used to stop by the local store and buy what I needed on the way to the range or whatever. That all stopped around 2008. There was nothing to buy, and even if there was, the prices in-store were a serious ripoff. From that point on, I always try to buy in bulk 500-1000rds at a time online. When the prices are good and I have some spare money, I'll buy it even if I don't need it yet.

It's not necessarily a panic/SHTF thing to buy rounds in bulk and stockpile them. Ammo has proven itself to be a volatile product, in both prices and availability.

I'm not really worried about the buying panic right now, because I already have all the guns I want (for now), lots of mags for them, and several thousand rounds for each.. I am a little low on 5.56/.223 though.

Edited by mancat

Is everyone stocking up for SHTF protection\provisions or for weekend excursions to the firing range (or where ever you shoot) or to sell\trade at a profit some point down the road or - ? Besides saying "you can never have enough", just what is considered an adequate "stockpile" of ammo? Is that for every single weapon you own or just your primary "go to" weapon?

I stock up because I dont feel like spending $10 for a box of x39 in the near future. I have more recently began stocking up on Tula and Uly because I have a large quantity of Yugo brass x39 I dont want to waste at the range since it may go for a lot more than the $3 a box I was buying it for, so its a range/trade thing kinda. I like to know I can still shoot and not be broke in a year if price increases/taxation of ammo become an issue

Thank you both for the info - definitely helps put things in perspective. At the risk of giving up your source, any suggestions for online retailers? In addition to local sources (gun shops) who I prefer to support if affordable, I have shopped for ammo\parts at Cheaper Than Dirt, Midway, and TopGunSupply in the past. I have used Buds and GunBroker for some weapon purchases as well.

A lot of the best deals I've found have been through either gun-deals.com or ammoengine.com. Both of these sites compare prices & shipping from various popular online sellers.

FYI Cheaper Than Dirt was one of the leading culprits behind the 2008 scare. They led the crowd in jacking up prices sky-high, thereby fueling the flames. I won't buy from them any more. They're not even really all that cheap during "normal" times.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 2